Author Topic: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game  (Read 42231 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
Probably features more in line with what someone named "Liver-eating Johnson" would be expected to have.  :lmao

At 3rd level, the Berserker gets Frenzy, allowing them to make an extra weapon attack as a bonus action each turn during a rage, but gets one level of exhaustion when the rage ends.

At 6th level, you get Mindless Rage, preventing being charmed or frightened while raging.

At 10th, you basically frighten everyone around you while raging.

At 14th, when an enemy hits you, you hit them right back.

It's a much more cut-and-dry barbarian, but some people and settings don't like having their barbarians with supernatural powers. A friend of mine really hated 4E Barbarians mostly because they could take powers that allowed them to do thunder or fire damage and such.

@caelic: I still haven't seen a druid in action. CoV Bard is a great party support class. Halfling Rogue is great at taking advantage of the environment and surviving by hiding all the time (Call a rogue a coward, sure, but he's a living coward!).

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
What can you tell me about (dwarven) fighters?
Mudada.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
Seeing as we don't seem to have a dedicated caster-type, i'm thinking I'll go book Warlock of the Great Old Ones.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 10:42:18 PM »
So whats the berserker option give?

An extra attack while frenzying, immunity to charm, and exhaustion at the end of your frenzy.  Capstone ability is to use your reaction to make an attack against someone who just dealt you damage.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »
Right now, it's narrowed down to:

1. Mad Morgan, drunken and slightly deranged Druid of the Moon Circle.
2. Garrick Redbranch, half-elven bard, smuggler, and scoundrel

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
So yeah, I'm going to go Cleric of War (haven't chosen a god just yet), then at lvl 5 I'll go Barbarian. Probably a Berserker for flavor purposes.
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
What can you tell me about (dwarven) fighters?

They're tough, get a lot of attacks and extra actions, and just what they can do really depends on their overall fighting style. Dwarves just generally increase that toughness, though they increase the toughness of any class they're trained in.

Fighters get more ability score improvements than anyone, which means they could alternately have the most feats (like 3.5, though there's no separate 'fighter feat' list). Depending on which fighter archetype you go with, you might improve your general fighting capacity (by improving your critical threat range, improving your physical ability checks and jump distance, a second fighting style, etc.), gain access to martial maneuvers (combat tricks ranging from dealing extra damage, to increasing your reach, to disarming or tripping enemies, to frightening them, etc.), or even access to spells (Eldritch Knight, a partial caster who can summon their sword to their hand, gain a bonus weapon attack after casting a cantrip, teleport after using action surge, and so on).

So far, the list of players looks like:
bhu- 'Liver-Eating Johnson', Barbarian
caelic- druid or half-elf bard
linklord- Warlock of the Great Old Ones
gamepro224- Cleric->Berserker Barbarian
--Maybes--
SolEiji- contemplating dwarven fighter
Gazzien- Unknown
Raineh- Unknown

For anyone unsure of access to the PHB, the Basic Rules document has the 4 core races and classes (though only one path/archetype for each class). If you're interested in something else, PM me and I can get you access to the information you need to make a character using the full content.

Now that gamepro's brought up deities, I'd like to ask again if anyone has a preference for campaign setting? It'll factor into everyone's backgrounds and the setting/story for the game. While WotC seems to be using Forgotten Realms as their default setting this time around, the PHB graciously has info for all the major settings, particularly regarding deity selection for clerics/paladins thereof.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
Well...hmm.  Much as I want to explore bard, the party's starting to look more and more like the kind of folks Mad Morgan would want to party with...

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 01:14:02 AM »
What's that? The fate of the world is in the hands of a party of sociopaths and lunatics? Why, I've never heard of such a thing!  :flutter

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:25 AM »
Well my builds are basically Lioness the Dwarven Fighter (either sword and board or two-handed sword... well, axes), or Smidgen the Halfling Rogue (two weapon fighting with daggers, skills).  I don't know which would be easier, given I only can access the Basic stuff.
Mudada.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »
Doesn't seem like many people are planning to play a caster, so I want to see if Evocation is more on-par with the other schools than it was in 3.5. Would probably play a bog-standard human... or maybe a gnome, if those are available? Could someone inform me as to what Gnomes end up with?

(I've only got the basic stuff as well :( )
Actually, if someone wants to take the time to point out what Enchantment Wizards get, I'd be mighty happy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:59:21 AM by Gazzien »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:30 AM »
All Gnomes get +2 Int, darkvision, and advantage on mental saves vs magic.

Forest Gnomes get +1 Dex, the minor illusion cantrip (infinite uses), and can communicate with Small or smaller beasts.
Rock gnomes get +1 Con, double proficiency bonus on History checks related to magical, alchemical, or technological items; and can create small whatsits like a clockwork creature that hops around, a zippo, or a music box. 

Enchanters get a short-duration Charm effect at level 2, an ability to force an attack to target someone else (evidently usable at will, but you can't use it on the same person again if he saves) at level 6, the ability to chain Enchantments to a second creature at level 10, and at level 14 you can make a creature forget that it was charmed. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:06:42 AM by linklord231 »

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:47 AM »
Depending on how much work you want to put into it, we could go Planescape.
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
What's that? The fate of the world is in the hands of a party of sociopaths and lunatics? Why, I've never heard of such a thing!  :flutter

"I'll have ye know I am NOT a sociopath OR a lunatic!  I'm a DRUNKEN DEGENERATE, and don't you forget it!"

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
All Gnomes get +2 Int, darkvision, and advantage on mental saves vs magic.

Forest Gnomes get +1 Dex, the minor illusion cantrip (infinite uses), and can communicate with Small or smaller beasts.
Rock gnomes get +1 Con, double proficiency bonus on History checks related to magical, alchemical, or technological items; and can create small whatsits like a clockwork creature that hops around, a zippo, or a music box. 

Enchanters get a short-duration Charm effect at level 2, an ability to force an attack to target someone else (evidently usable at will, but you can't use it on the same person again if he saves) at level 6, the ability to chain Enchantments to a second creature at level 10, and at level 14 you can make a creature forget that it was charmed.
Sounds like a Forest Gnome Evoker Wizard, then.

Gnomes are medium, 30' move, common and gnomish for language?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:28:46 PM by Gazzien »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
Gnomes are small, 25' speed.  If you're going Evoker, I'd recommend taking a look at the Elemental Adept feat.  It lets you ignore resistance (but not immunity) to a chosen energy type, and counts rolled ones as twos for damage. 

After doing some math, I'd like to change my vote to "roll for stats".  You're more likely to roll a 16 than an 8, and yet the standard array contains an 8 but not a 16. 

Edit:  How are we doing equipment? 
I'm planning on taking the Invocation that lets me learn and cast rituals.  Can I spend some of my starting money learning additional rituals?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:13:22 PM by linklord231 »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Gnomes are small, 25' speed.  If you're going Evoker, I'd recommend taking a look at the Elemental Adept feat.  It lets you ignore resistance (but not immunity) to a chosen energy type, and counts rolled ones as twos for damage. 

After doing some math, I'd like to change my vote to "roll for stats".  You're more likely to roll a 16 than an 8, and yet the standard array contains an 8 but not a 16. 

Edit:  How are we doing equipment? 
I'm planning on taking the Invocation that lets me learn and cast rituals.  Can I spend some of my starting money learning additional rituals?
... Oops. So they are. Thank you.

Feats are... kinda a problem for me, considering I only have the basic rules at the moment (and there aren't any feats in there). Plus, Wizards don't get an ability score / feat until level 4, so it doesn't really matter to me.
Did equipment according to the rules in the basic set, then realized those are for level 1... and we're level 3. Oops again.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »
Oh woops I was thinking we were going to start at level 4.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »
Oh woops I was thinking we were going to start at level 4.
OP said third or fourth, but was later clarified in a reply to be "leaning towards" third level.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
I'm fine with point buy or rolled stats; whatever people want to do.

Heck, given what I rolled, I'm totally okay with rolled stats, if people want to go that way. :)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4619286/
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:22:34 PM by caelic »