Author Topic: Fantasy Military Jargon: Dragonlance  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
Fantasy Military Jargon: Dragonlance
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
Dragonlance: Military Jargon of the Dragonarmies

Warfare and mass combat feature heavily in the Dragonlance Chronicles.  Armies clash with each other and the Dragonarmies expand across the Continent of Ansalon.
   Army troops develop their own slang and jargon, informal means of reference for events, tactics, and individuals.  Below is a list of phrases used by the Dragonarmies; use it to add some flavor to your Dragonlance games.

Acid-breather- Term for members of the Black Dragonarmy; also used to refer to ill-mannered soldiers.  Named for the breath weapons of the infamous black dragons.  Pejorative.  Ex: “The acid-breathers are advancing upon Kenderhome.”

Bewitched- under the effect of an enchantment or mind control spell.

Blaster Caster- a spellcaster who makes liberal use of volatile area-of-effect spells, such as fireball.

Dragon’s Head- a Dragon Highlord.  Usually considered the tactical mastermind or “brains of the bunch” due to the dragon partner’s monstrous appearance and language.

Dungeon- an underground cave system, ruins, or fortress inhabited with dangerous creatures and people.

Four Man Dungeon Band- an adventuring party, group of delvers, or tomb robbers.  “Our patrol encountered a four man dungeon band in the dwarven king’s tomb.”

Giant’s Fork- a trident.

Golden Oldies- People obsessed with the Age of Might or the lost glory of a past civilization. Originated among Nerakan historians comparing the Dragon Empire to Istar due to Takhisis’ transportation of the Kingpriest’s temple to the Nerakan capital.  Pejorative. Ex: “There’s nothing sadder than a Golden Oldie obsessed with a civilization he knows nothing about.”

Goon Squad- a group of poorly trained or unintelligent soldiers, usually in reference to companies of goblins or ogres.  Also refers to any group of soldiers meant to serve as a distraction in battle.  Pejorative.

Graveyard Shift- the act of a dead person being turned into an undead being.  Ex: “Michael’s taken the graveyard shift.”

Gully Rat- An unwanted person or nuisance.  Originated among army-occupied ruins inhabited by Gully Dwarves.

Kender Hands- Used to refer to a person, usually a pickpocket or lustful lout, who can’t keep his hands to himself.  Ex: “Watch yourself around Nicholas; I hear he’s got kender hands.”

Lizard Farm- The temple of Sanction, or where new Draconians are made. Ex: “I heard that rebels compromised the lizard farm.”

Long-ear- an elf.

Metal Manhood- the sword of a particularly brash or gung-ho soldier, often implied that the user is compensating for perceived sexual inadequacies.

Moon Brig- A prison, or “brig,” specially designed for holding spellcasting prisoners.  Refers to the use of Wizards’ reliance on the moons for magic.  Ex: “The priest of Paladine’s being held in the moon brig.”

Mustache- A Solamnic Knight or soldier.  Named for the notable and prominent mustaches of Solamnic noblemen.  Ex: “There’s a cavalry of mustaches six miles to the east.”

Ogre Arms- equipment, usually weapons, designed to be used by giants and large humanoids.  Ex: “I just received a shipment of ogre arms from Kern.”

One Wand Army- term for magic items and spellcasters that specialize in summoning monsters.

The Persuader- a torture device or blackmail material.  Ex: “These spy’s more tight-lipped than I thought.  Bring out the Persuader.”

Pit Trip- the action of a soldier getting caught or immobilized by a trap, usually a concealed pit.  Ex: “Benjamin’s taken a pit trip!”

Sellsword- a mercenary.

Tallfellow- a giant, usually an ogre.

More to come!  I may do other campaign settings at some point.

Feel free to contribute your own phrases!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:18:30 PM by Libertad »