Author Topic: Kickstarters and Other Crowd-Funding Mega-Thread!  (Read 130695 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarters and Other Crowd-Funding Mega-Thread!
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops Boardgame

Wanna run against your omaes?  Then this board game is for you!  Wanna run WITH them?  There's an expansion for that!

Watch your back.  Shoot straight.  Conserve ammo.  And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »
GRIDSCAPE™ Peg Board Game Terrain (Funding ends July 1st) - This one is almost done but we still have a couple of days.  Cheap pieces that go into peg-board (like you hang tools on) to create dungeon terrain.  More expensive than just buying a mat but so much cheaper than Dwarven Forge or any of the big name fancy ones. 

I'm still trying to decide how much money to drop into this but I'm excited about it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
Thunderstone Quest Back to the Dungeon from AEG (Funding ends August 17th) - Expansions for Thunderstone Quest including rules for Solo and Coop modes.  You can also get the base game if you missed the last kickstarter.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2018, 01:18:31 AM »
Thunderstone Quest Back to the Dungeon from AEG (Funding ends August 17th) - Expansions for Thunderstone Quest including rules for Solo and Coop modes.  You can also get the base game if you missed the last kickstarter.

This one ends in less than 24 hours. Check it out if you haven't already.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2018, 10:06:27 PM »
Cthulhuoshkas. Cthulhu, Shoggoth & Lovecraft matrioshkas. (Funding ends September 13th) - Lovecraftian matroiska dolls.  I've pledged for some other stuff these guys have done, they might be pricey but they're good quality.

Perfect Plastic: Dice Evolved (Funding ends August 31st) - I posted about (and pledged for) a previous kickstarter from these guys.  Good quality inexpensive plastic dice, and they've made some improvements.  Also there are pretty colors this time!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
Q WORKSHOP Top Drawer Dice (Funding ends September 13th) - More dice, but you've heard of this company before.

Machina Arcana ~ From Beyond (Funding ends September 27th) - This is the second edition of a board game that I kickstarted years ago that was destroyed in a flood.  It's a steampunk Lovecraftian world with non-linear scenarios, and is worth your time to check it out.  The campaign has lots of gameplay videos from all kinds of reviewers, a rulebook you can download to see how the game works, and way more information about what's going on than you ever thought you'd want to look at.  Go look at it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
Okay, this one is different from what I normally post about.  It's US/Canada only, it's expensive, and it's an expensive item from an unknown company that hasn't been finalized yet.

But I'm sharing it anyway, that should tell you something.

2nd Breakfast: An Affordable, Quality Board Game Table (Funding ends October 4th)

I'm going to assume that you haven't been vaguely following these for years like I have so I'm going to give way more information than I normally do.  This isn't a quick blurb and done, this is me being a goddamn salesman.

As I'm sure you've might have noticed, there are a handful of companies that make "board game tables".  For those who aren't in the know, board game tables are tables with room specifically to play board games (or card games or rpgs, board game tables is just a catchy name).  The usually have inserts to put over the table to make it, you know, an actual table that you can use.  Also this means that you can save your game/puzzle/project under the inserts and it won't get messed up by guests/family/spilled drinks/whatnot.  They also are pretty damn expensive, custom ones start around a couple grand for a 3 foot x 5 foot table (that's the area of the gaming space, not the outer dimensions.

The 2nd Breakfast table isn't the only one currently on kickstarter, so this makes a comparison easier.

Let us look at The Jasper: A Board Gaming Table.  This table is by boardgametables.com, a well known and respected custom gaming table company who has run kickstarters before.  We (or at least I) know these people, they know what they're doing.  Normally this is who I would go after, they're also USA and Canada only.

For a 3 foot x 5 foot Jasper table we're look at $599 + shipping ($69 for the US).  This gets you the table (in your choice of 2 stains or unstained) and an insert playing mat (in your choice of the color they chose for you).  You want a topper to turn your Jasper into a regular table?  $299.  You want cup holders to attach to the sides of the table (that you have to find a place to stash when not using them)?  $14 each.  You can also get extra mats or "wings" (like toppers but with little walls to stop stuff from going under them).  Shipping is "only" $69 because you put the table together yourself (like IKEA).  Almost a grand isn't horrible as far as gaming tables go (because I want a table that can be used as a real table), but that's way more than I want to deal with when I bought my current kitchen table for a couple hundred bucks and the thing sits 8 when fully extended.

Now let's compare that with the 2nd Breakfast table.  I don't know shit about this company, but they had a display at PAX and are actually communicating with their backers so these look like real legitimate people who aren't trying to steal your money or give you something made out of plywood.

Here we have two tables, one with a (roughly) 2.5 foot x 4.25 foot play area, the other the "standard" 3 x 5.  The larger table (called XL) has slightly larger outer dimensions than the Jasper because the armrests/bezels around the play area are an inch wider on the 2nd Breakfast table.  The regular table is $500 + $150 shipping (early bird) and the XL is $599 + $250 shipping (early bird).  Either table can come in three heights (coffee table, regular table, bar height), four stains (plus unstained), four play mat colors (reversible), comes full assembled (thus the higher shipping), and includes cupholders, leaves, dice trays, and a bunch of other small stuff (including power outlets for your table).

Yes, shipping on the XL table is cheaper than the topper for the Jasper table to turn it into a regular table.  And who knows what it will cost to ship the topper for the Jasper, shipping on add-ons is currently unknown.

Honestly that's awesome but not my favorite part of this table.  Would you like to know my favorite part?  I don't care, I'm going to tell you anyway.

With the Jasper table you have to figure out where to store your cupholders/other side mounted accessories when you're not using them.  With the 2nd Breakfast tables that isn't an issue.  The skirt of the table moves, so when you want a regular table you just push all of the trays under the table and pull the skirt down to hide them.  Perfection.

You can also get matching chairs if that's your thing,

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2018, 02:02:16 PM »
I'm on my one so forgive the lack of pretty formatting.

Nighthawks - The Vampire RPG

Funding ends tomorrow. This is a spiritual successor to Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines, it has a demo and is worth checking out.

Go check it out. It's so close to being funded.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »
Back on a computer.

Inhuman Conditions: A Game of Cops and Robots (Funding ends October 11th) - Remember in Bladerunner when Deckard uses a Voight-Kampff machine to figure out if Rachel is a replicant?  This is that as a party game.  Also, all print-and-play stretch goals have been confirmed that they'll be in the final printed game.

Encased — old school isometric turn-based RPG (Funding ends October 16th) - Pretty much what is says on the tin.  It definitely looks interesting.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 09, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
Undergrads: The Movie

Yep, that's a thing, and it deserves to be backed!  And if you don't know why, go find the original 13 episodes and watch them.  You have 30 days to back this one!
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »
The Edge: Dawnfall 2nd kickstarter run, with updated rules, expansions, and the like.

It's a PvP faction asymmetrical war game, with now 7 different factions to choose from.  Each has 13 figures, and a deck of cards that you take 25 from to customize your army.  It also has 3 campaign stories, a solo campaign for one faction, and an expansion for an 8th faction.

The kickstarter hasn't officially launched yet, so you can set yourself to receive notification when it launches.  There's also a bonus figure that's free for anyone who backs within the first 24 hours, so if you're interested, take advantage of that!
What do I win?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
I've been super lazy and not posting stuff that I want to share.

This time I have three.

Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (Funding ends November 14th) - A new edition of Savage Worlds.  This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Supreme Leader: A Game of Politics, Diplomacy, and Treachery (Funding ends November 2nd) - This one is less self-explanatory.  It is a large player count game where everyone makes deals with each other to vote other people out (making them join the United Nations), and at the end everyone voted out votes to pick the winner out of the last two remaining players.  Plus cards and randomness.  It very much will need the right kind of group but looks like a good game.

CULT of CTHULHU: Ouija, planchette, candleholders & Tarot (Funding ends November 8th) - Cool Cthulhu themed stuff.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
The World's Most Versatile Painting Handle and Grip Returns! (Funding ends January 12th) - This is the second kickstarter for the Hobby Holder.  I linked the first one when it was going on and pledged for it as well.  If you enjoy painting minis and want a good way to hold them take a look, I like mine!

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
You messed up the link.
What do I win?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »
You messed up the link.

Fixed for people too lazy to cpy and paste the url.  :p

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
It's that time again (meaning that I'm finally getting around to posting these).

Everyone is John the RPG (Funding ends March 18th) - I present to you the new updated version of Everyone is John.  It is an updated and expanded version of the Creative Commons licensed 1 page game that's been around forever (not done by the same person but it says it has his blessing).  Also you get free business card sized character sheets!

Necronomicon by Abdul Alhazred with Cthulhu pawns & Idol (Funding ends March 14th) - A fun looking little card game by a creator who has done a bunch of good quality Lovecraftian kickstarters.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Throw Throw Burrito By the maker of Exploding Kittens.

(click to show/hide)
What do I win?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
I got the emails but hadn't looked at them yet. That looks hilarious!

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
Considering how silly fun their previous 2 kickstarters were (Exploding Kittens and Bears vs Babies), this is a sure-fire winner.
What do I win?