Author Topic: Some class improvements  (Read 1957 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Some class improvements
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
I was working on some improvement to some base classes that I thought could be spruced up.

Paladin

Spells: The paladin can prepare and cast divine spells off the paladin spell list. She can prepare a number of spells per day the same as a bard of equal level. Bonus spell slots, spell DCs, and the highest level of spell the paladin can cast is based on her Charisma score. Her caster level is equal to her class level.
Spell List: Add the following spells to the paladin’s spell list. Spells marked with an (*) have their level changed.
  • 0 level: Create Water*, Cure Light Wounds*, Detect Magic*, Detect Poison*, Read Magic*, Virtue*
  • 1st level: Cure Moderate Wounds*, Remove Fear
  • 2nd level: Calm Emotions, Cure Serious Wounds*, Lesser Restoration*, Remove Disease
  • 3rd level: Cure Critical Wounds, Dimensional Anchor, Dismissal, Protection from Energy, Restoration*
  • 4th level: Mass Cure Light Wounds, Stoneskin
  • 5th level: Atonement, Commune, Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Restoration, Heal, Mass Bull’s Strength, Mass Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass Eagle’s Splendor, Plane Shift, Righteous Might, Spell Resistance, True Seeing
  • 6th level: Antimagic Field, Banishment, Blade Barrier, Dictum, Forbiddance, Holy Word, Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Regenerate, Undeath to Death, Word of Recall
Smite Evil: At 1st level, the paladin may make a powerful melee attack against an evil foe. She must declare the smite as a swift action. The next melee attack she makes this round gains a bonus to hit equal to her Charisma bonus (minimum 1) and adds an amount of damage equal to double her class level. This bonus only applies against evil targets. If she accidentally smites a non-evil foe, the smite is resolved as a normal melee attack.
   The paladin may smite one time per day, although she gains additional daily uses as she gains levels. If her attack misses or she targets a non-evil foe, she does not spend a daily use, although the swift action to declare the smite is still spent.
   The paladin may make an extra smite beyond her daily limit by spending a Turn Undead attempt. A missed smite or a smite against a non-evil foe does not use up a Turn Undead attempt.
Lay on Hands: At 2nd level, a Paladin may spontaneously convert any prepared spell to a “cure” or “remove” spell of lesser or equal level. This happens as a free action at the time of casting the spell.
   The paladin may also cast a “cure” or “remove” spell as a swift action a number of times per day equal to her Charisma bonus (minimum of 1). She may use this ability while spontaneously converting a spell.
Remove Disease: Remove this ability, as the paladin can cast it more often.

Notes: Bard spellcasting gives them magical abilities to use out of the gate. The lowered level on the Cure spells (and some others) is to keep them more level appropriate. Yes, this could be further abused by the Archivist (and maybe Warlock), but I'm not nerfing this class because of some poorly-worded features in another class. The Lay on Hands change was to make healing worthwhile in combat, which seems a good fit for the class. Smite should be a bit more useful now, too.

I didn't add non-core spells to the list, which is mostly laziness on my part.

Sorcerer

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, gain either Eschew Materials or a [heritage] feat as a bonus feat. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter, gain a bonus [metamagic] feat, [item creation] feat, or [heritage] feat as a bonus feat.
Spells: Use the following tables for spells per day and spells known:
Spells per day:
Level 0   1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
4     6   6   4   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
5     6   6   5   3   -   -   -   -   -   -
6     6   6   6   4   -   -   -   -   -   -
7     6   6   6   5   3   -   -   -   -   -
8     6   6   6   6   4   -   -   -   -   -
9     6   6   6   6   5   3   -   -   -   -
10    6   6   6   6   6   4   -   -   -   -
11    6   6   6   6   6   5   3   -   -   -
12    6   6   6   6   6   6   4   -   -   -
13    6   6   6   6   6   6   5   3   -   -
14    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   4   -   -
15    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   5   3   -
16    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   4   -
17    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   5   3
18    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   4
19    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   5
20    6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6   6

Spells known:
Level 0   1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
4     6   4   3   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
5     6   5   3   2   -   -   -   -   -   -
6     7   5   3   3   -   -   -   -   -   -
7     7   6   4   3   2   -   -   -   -   -
8     8   6   4   3   3   -   -   -   -   -
9     8   6   4   4   3   2   -   -   -   -
10    9   6   5   4   3   3   -   -   -   -
11    9   6   5   4   4   3   2   -   -   -
12    9   6   5   5   4   3   3   -   -   -
13    9   6   6   5   4   4   3   2   -   -
14    9   6   6   5   5   4   3   3   -   -
15    9   6   6   5   5   4   4   3   2   -
16    9   6   6   5   5   5   4   3   3   -
17    9   6   6   5   5   5   4   4   3   2
18    9   6   6   5   5   5   4   4   3   3
19    9   6   6   5   5   5   4   4   4   3
20    9   6   6   5   5   5   4   4   4   4

Notes: Basically, I'm getting them new spells on odd levels instead of even levels, and starting them with a bit more spells known on a new level. The bonus feats are there mainly to match the wizard. You'll still almost certainly PrC out of this class.

I would use this progression for the Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, and War Mage.

Dread Necromancer (HoH)

Spells Per Day: Use the sorcerer Spells Per Day table listed above.
Spell List: Add the following spells to the dread necromancer’s list of spells known. Any spell marked with an (*) has a changed level.
  • 0 level: Acid Splash, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic*, Detect Poison, Inflict Minor Wounds, Touch of Fatigue, Virtue
  • 1st level: Cure Light Wounds
  • 2nd level: Cure Moderate Wounds
  • 3rd level: Animate Dead*, Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic*, Stinking Cloud
  • 4th level: Cure Critical Wounds
  • 5th level: Mass Cure Light Wounds
  • 6th level: Mass Cure Moderate Wounds
  • 7th level: Mass Cure Serious Wounds
  • 8th level: Mass Cure Critical Wounds
Charnel Touch: Increase damage to 1d6 per odd class level. When healing undead, Charnel Touch heals one point per odd level.

Notes: This isn't a bad class. I just would be fine with it healing, and I feel Charnel Touch scales poorly. I dropped Animate Dead to 3rd level, when a Cleric gets it, and added Stinking Cloud, because the class normally gets Cloudkill and Acid Fog.

Hexblade (CW)

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Add proficiency with medium armor. A hexblade may also cast spells in medium armor without suffering arcane spell failure.
Spells Known: A hexblade knows as many spells as a Bard of equal level.
Spells Per Day: A hexblade has the same spells per day as a Bard of equal level.
Spell List: Add the following spells to the hexblade’s spell list. Any spell marked with an (*) has a changed level.
  • Level 0: Arcane Mark*, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect magic*, Ghost Sound, Light*, Prestidigitation*, Read Magic*, Touch of Fatigue
  • Level 3: Bestow Curse
  • Level 5: Baleful Polymorph*, Break Enchantment*, Cloudkill, Contact Other Plane*, Dominate Person*, Feeblemind, Mind Fog, Nightmare, Symbol of Pain, Symbol of Sleep, Waves of Fatigue
  • Level 6: Acid Fog, Antimagic Field, Circle of Death, Eyebite, Flesh to Stone, Greater Dispel Magic, Mass Suggestion, Mislead, Repulsion, Symbol of Fear, True Seeing
Hexblade’s Curse: Now takes a swift action to use. You gain a number of additional daily uses equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum zero). At 8th level, you may affect a number of targets equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum 1), so long as they are all within 30 feet of each other.

Notes: Really, I'm relying on extra casting to help fill in some gaps, and to make the signature curse a little more useful.

Scout (CAd)

Skirmish: Increase damage boost to 1d6 per odd level. Increase the AC boost to +1 per even level. This bonus also applied to Reflex saves. These bonuses last until the start of the scout’s next turn.
Blindsense: At 4th level, the scout gains blindsense with a radius of five feet per class level.
Stealth: At 4th level, the scout can cast Invisibility and Silence as a spell-like ability, each once per day. Her caster level is equal to her class level. The saving throw is Wisdom-based.
Climbing: At 6th level, the scout gains a climb speed equal to her land speed.
Blindsight: At 7th level, the scout gains blindsight with a radius of five feet per two class levels.
Improved Stealth: At 8th level, the scout may use Air Walk and Greater Invisibility as a spell-like ability, each once per day. Her caster level is equal to her class level.
Freedom of Movement: At 9th level, the scout can gain the benefits of Freedom of Movement for one round as a swift action. She may use this a number of rounds per day equal to her class level.
True Sight: At 10th level, the scout gains the effects of True Seeing with a radius of five feet per two class levels. As a move action, she may extend the range to 120 feet for one round.
Plane Shift: At 12th level, the scout may use Plane Shift as a spell-like ability once per day. Her caster level is equal to her class level. The saving throw is Wisdom-based.

Notes: I still feel it's lacking truly high level stuff, but this should get you into double digits nicely.

Swordsage (ToB)

Base Attack Bonus: Increase to full progression (+1/level, as Fighter).
Maneuver Recovery: All maneuvers are recovered for a full-round action.
Armor Class Bonus: The Wisdom bonus is applied to AC in light or no armor.

Notes: Nothing big here, although I also advocate for halving the level on all stances, and creating new 5th - 8th level stances. I may post those elsewhere...

Warlock (CAr)

Invocations Known: Increase to 2 at 1st level, +1 each level thereafter.
Eldritch Blast: Increase damage to 1d6 each level not divisible by 3. So it would be 1d6 at 1st, 2d6 at 2nd, 3d6 at 4th, 4d6 at 5th, 5d6 at 7th, etc…
Bonus Eldritch Invocations: At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter, the warlock learns a new Eldritch Essence or Blast Shape invocation.

Notes: See next post for modified and new invocations.

Warmage (CAr)

Hit Dice: Increase to d8.
Base Attack Bonus: Increase to medium progression (+3/4 levels, as Cleric).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Add proficiency with one martial weapon.
Spells: Use Intelligence instead of Charisma to determine the highest level of spell the warmage can cast, bonus spell slots, and the DC for his spells.
Spells Per Day: Use the Sorcerer Spells Per Day table listed above.
Warmage Edge: Increase the bonus damage to the warmage’s Intelligence bonus (minimum 1 point) + 2 points for each spell level beyond 1st.
Advanced Learning: Gained at 2nd level and every even level thereafter. The warmage may select any one Wizard spell from the Abjuration, Conjuration, or Evocation schools. The spell cannot be a higher level than the warmage can cast.

Notes: This makes it a bit more gish-like, which I feel makes sense, and makes it more viable at low level. The class is somewhat less MAD. Advanced Learning is beefed up to help with the mediocre spell list.

Let me know what you think. I may add more later, as I work on them.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Some class improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:45 PM »
Modified Warlock Invocations
Make the following changes to existing warlock invocations.

Eldritch Cone
Extend to 60-foot cone.

Hellrime Blast
Deals 2 points of Dexterity damage on a failed save instead of causing a penalty to Dexterity.

Vitriolic Blast
Increase the additional damage each round to 1d6 per three caster levels. The acid can be rinsed off as a full-round action with a full waterskin.

New Warlock Invocations
Add these invocations to the list available to warlocks.

LEAST

Desecrate (Least Invocation – Level 2)
As the Desecrate spell. You must provide the unholy water and silver dust as the spell.

Detect Thoughts (Least Invocation – Level 2)
As the Detect Thoughts spell, but a target that succeeds on its Will save cannot be affected again by this invocation from the same caster for 24 hours.

Eldritch Bolt (Least Blast Shape – Level 2)
Your eldritch blast deals damage to all creatures in a 30-foot line originating from next to your square. A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

Eldritch Curse (Least Blast Shape – Level 2)
Your eldritch blast is channeled through a melee touch attack. If successful, the target takes damage as normal and then takes half damage on the next round (no save). Any eldritch essence applied to this attack is applied on the second round (with any additional saves as applicable).

Eldritch Ward (Least Invocation – Level 1)
As the Alarm spell. Alternately, you can use this invocation to ward a door, which puts an Arcane Lock (as the spell) and Alarm on the door permanently. The Alarm on the door is permanent until discharged

Fiend Form (Least – Level 2)
Your appearance changes, making you appear fiendish and terrifying. You gain a +6 bonus on Intimidate checks and a +2 natural armor bonus to AC (or you gain a +2 enhancement bonus to your natural armor). You gain two claw attacks that each deal 1d4 damage (for a medium creature). This lasts 24 hours or until dismissed.

Fiendish Resistance (Least Invocation – Level 2)
You gain the benefits of the Endure Elements spell and Resist Energy spell for 24 hours. Each time you use this, you much choose an energy type to resist and you lose the benefits of any previous uses of this invocation.

Ray of Enfeeblement (Least Invocation – Level 1)
As the Ray of Enfeeblement spell.

Scare (Least Invocation – Level 2)
As the Scare spell, but a target that succeeds on its Will save cannot be affected again by this invocation from the same caster for 24 hours.

LESSER

Astral Web (Lesser Invocation – Level 4)
As the Dimensional Anchor spell, plus the target must succeed on a Will save or be entangled and have all of its movement speeds halved for one minute.

Deep Slumber (Lesser Invocation – Level 3)
As the Deep Slumber spell.

Electric Blast (Lesser Eldritch Essence – Level 3)
Your eldritch blast deals electric damage. Anyone damaged must succeed on a Fortitude save or be entangled for one round. Creatures entangled in this fashion may still move, but only at half speed. Creatures wearing armor primarily consisting of metal suffer a -3 penalty on all saving throws relating to this blast, and the attack roll has a +3 bonus to hit them.

Eldritch Sight (Lesser Invocation – Level 3)
As both the Arcane Sight and See Invisibility spells, but with a duration of 24 hours.

Eldritch Sphere (Lesser Blast Shape – Level 3)
Your eldritch blast deals damage to all creatures in a 15-foot radius (to a range of 60 feet). A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

Fiendish Madness (Lesser Invocation – Level 4)
As the Confusion spell, but a target that succeeds on its Will save cannot be affected again by this invocation from the same caster for 24 hours.

Incendiary Slime (Lesser Invocation – Level 3)
As the Incendiary Slime spell.

Lesser Eldritch Cone (Lesser Blast Shape – Level 3)
Your eldritch blast deals damage to all creatures in a 30-foot cone originating from next to your square. A successful Reflex save halves the damage.

Shape Nature (Lesser Invocation – Level 3)
As the Stone Shape and Warp Wood spells. You must wait 24 hours to affect any other stone within 10 feet of a previously affected volume.

GREATER

Circle of Death (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Circle of Death spell, but with no material component.

Cloud of Brimstone (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Stinking Cloud spell, plus each round, anyone in the area takes 2d6 points of fire damage. Only one cloud can be conjured at a time. The cloud may be dismissed as a standard action.

Disintegrate (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Disintegrate spell, but a target that succeeds on its Fortitude save cannot be affected again by this invocation from the same caster for 24 hours.

Fiendish Guile (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Suggestion spell, but a target that succeeds on its Will save cannot be affected again by this invocation from the same caster for 24 hours.

Freedom of Movement (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Freedom of Movement spell.

Greater Fiendish Resistance (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Endure Elements, Protection from Energy, and Stoneskin spells, except with a duration of 24 hours. The invocation is dismissed once either the Stoneskin or Protection from Energy effect have absorbed their maximum amount of damage. Each time you use this, you much choose an energy type to resist and you lose the benefits of any previous uses of this invocation.

Quick Teleportation (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Dimension Door spell, but as a move action, and you must have line of sight to your destination.

Minor Disjunction (Greater Invocation – Level 6)
As the Break Enchantment or Greater Dispel Magic spells, chosen each time the invocation is used. The casting time is one standard action for both versions.

DARK

Fiendish Teleportation (Dark Invocation – Level 8)
As the Greater Teleport spell.

Forcecage (Dark Invocation – Level 8)
As the Forcecage spell.

Horrid Wilting (Dark Invocation – Level 8)
As the Horrid Wilting spell.

Mind Blank (Dark Invocation – Level 8)
As the Mind Blank spell, but with a duration of 24 hours.

True Seeing (Dark Invocation – Level 8)
As the True Seeing spell, but with a duration of 24 hours.

Notes: I was torn on adding a limitation to Circle of Death. You get it at 11th level and it only works on 8 HD or fewer creatures, so it's not like you're killing big stuff with it. An average roll at that point is about three such creatures killed (each of which gets a save).

I'm wondering if the limitation on Shape Nature is worth it. I was thinking of preventing tunneling in dungeons, but maybe I don't care. I mean, given time, you could just hire some people to dig passages, or do it yourself. Maybe I should remove it...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:54:35 PM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Would it hurt anything to give the soulknife the PP and powers known of a psychic warrior? All those shitty class features seem to be worth about as much as the psychic warrior's bonus feats.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
is that in addition to the soulblade?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »
In PF there is an "official" alternative rule that for high magic/psionics games the Soulknife can gain the Gifted Blade Archetype for free (with DM approval).

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
is that in addition to the soulblade?

Yes. 100% on top of the class as written. It doesn't seem to gain much other than a free, customizable weapon, and later, you can KO animals really quickly (Int damage).

In PF there is an "official" alternative rule that for high magic/psionics games the Soulknife can gain the Gifted Blade Archetype for free (with DM approval).

I'll have to look at that more, later.
My creations