Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180158 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2019, 11:39:21 PM »
Pretty upset with how Kaiser is handling mental health services lately. After leaving me hanging for 6+ months last time I needed a therapist (they tried to outsource my therapy and I was told to wait for the 3rd party to assign me someone) they have fucked me over yet again. My therapist quit Kaiser due to excessive red tape making it hard to treat patients, but one of the last things she did was note that my symptoms had been particularly severe in the previous months and I needed a case worker assigned. Kaiser has apparently lost that instruction and I still have no replacement therapist months later.

It really does feel like they are entirely incapable of providing mental health services unless the person is either stable in the first place or dangerous enough to be institutionalized.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #421 on: July 09, 2019, 11:44:00 PM »
Pretty upset with how Kaiser is handling mental health services lately. After leaving me hanging for 6+ months last time I needed a therapist (they tried to outsource my therapy and I was told to wait for the 3rd party to assign me someone) they have fucked me over yet again. My therapist quit Kaiser due to excessive red tape making it hard to treat patients, but one of the last things she did was note that my symptoms had been particularly severe in the previous months and I needed a case worker assigned. Kaiser has apparently lost that instruction and I still have no replacement therapist months later.

It really does feel like they are entirely incapable of providing mental health services unless the person is either stable in the first place or dangerous enough to be institutionalized.

Sad that in this day and age people still don't realize mental wellbeing is as important or even MORE important than physical health.

If you're not well in the mind, it leads to risk-taking and risk-seeking behavior, bad eating habits, lack of exercise and motivation, trouble sleeping and a host of other detrimental effects to overall health longterm.

Health Insurance probably would end up SAVING money if they increased coverage for mental problems.

It's just dumb. Maybe algorithms haven't advanced enough, they don't see the bigger picture and only advise insurance providers on short term monetar gains...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
I'm quite sure they see the big picture. If you've ever seen the minutes of a shareholder meeting it's pretty clear that they actively encourage NOT helping people get better because sick people are a continual revenue stream.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
I'm quite sure they see the big picture. If you've ever seen the minutes of a shareholder meeting it's pretty clear that they actively encourage NOT helping people get better because sick people are a continual revenue stream.

Insurers don't want sick people, though. I remember reading that the top 1% of sick people are responsible for over 80% of an insurance company's spending... The healthier you are, the more profitable you are for the insurance company, especially if what makes you healthy costs them zero... That's why i don't understand why many people over there have the same experience as you do. Why would insurance companies not cover things that cost less and can prevent bigger spending later? Seems dumb.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 12, 2019, 02:07:20 AM »

Insurers don't want sick people, though. I remember reading that the top 1% of sick people are responsible for over 80% of an insurance company's spending... The healthier you are, the more profitable you are for the insurance company, especially if what makes you healthy costs them zero... That's why i don't understand why many people over there have the same experience as you do. Why would insurance companies not cover things that cost less and can prevent bigger spending later? Seems dumb.

Insurance companies want SCARED people. The medical industry wants sick people. There was even an infamous picture from one of the industry seminars about how curing patients is an unsustainable business model but treating illnesses is printing money.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 28, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »
When it rains it pours. I'm out of money, someone I love dearly is staying with me because they are suddenly homeless, and ANOTHER friend of mine's house just burned down with all their pets still inside.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 28, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
When it rains it pours. I'm out of money, someone I love dearly is staying with me because they are suddenly homeless, and ANOTHER friend of mine's house just burned down with all their pets still inside.

Holy crap!  I've been in the places of your friends but thankfully had no pets when my house burned down.  That's a hell of a lot to happen all at once.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 30, 2019, 10:44:37 PM »
hugs  :hug :hug

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 31, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
It's like we need a new smiley face, of the 3 Greek Fates but with a brick falling on them all.

Sounds like O Fortuna.
Hopefully it'll feel like Kay Starr's Wheel Of Fortune someday ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIce5NsWKk
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 01, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »
My mechanic didn't install my spark plugs right, so it misfired and I'm stranded until tomorrow. On the plus side, I bring my house with me everywhere so it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #430 on: August 02, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »
wt(everloving)f
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2019, 02:04:02 AM »
S'allright, they fixed it today. It runs beautifully now (as far as a 1989 chevys go).

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 06, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
 :D
Well ... after Strat killed all 24 posts, we know that spambot ... wasn't Caelic , or PLZ.

(click to show/hide)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 12, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
What'd I miss?

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 13, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »
What'd I miss?
Me? You need to work on your aim,also would you like to be a beta reader for me?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »
My SO had a full-blown psychotic break, thought they were the second coming of jesus, got hospitalized, and left with someone I don't know with explicit intention not to let anyone know where they are going.

All I have left is some of their clothing and a pile of delusional ramblings about teaching people the truth of the world.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2019, 08:08:35 PM »
 :twitch

Wow.  ...  You normally have to go to Jerusalem for that trip.
Best of luck.  That's just nuts.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »

All I have left is some of their clothing and a pile of delusional ramblings about teaching people the truth of the world.

Is it marketable? Can we make money off of it?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2019, 11:12:00 PM »

Is it marketable? Can we make money off of it?

Doubt it. It's pretty much just "people need to stop being dicks" and "I don't know how linguistics works so I'm redefining words at random to support my arguments"

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2019, 02:51:29 AM »
What'd I miss?
Me? You need to work on your aim,also would you like to be a beta reader for me?

for a game?