Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180205 times)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »
If Social Security comes after me for overpay after the pandemic is over I'm likely screwed. For now though I can absorb this with the relief check and my overtime pay.

They over paid me when i first started getting social security and i talked with them and they took out the minimum they could over time, so instead of paying it back all at once it was spread out.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 17, 2020, 04:53:48 AM »
They did the same for me, but the overpayment at this point would be spread out over 2 years at this point I think.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 03, 2020, 07:46:07 PM »
So tonight I finally put the final word on a story I had been writing on a freeform game for going on... about eight years now, I think.

Due to a complete clusterfuck of circumstances, it was basically all but abandoned by the beginning of this year, but even if I wanted it to end with a whimper, not a bang, I still wanted to give everyone involved a chance to say goodbye to their characters in a manner befitting them. After all, they spent most if not all of that time writing with me.

And thanks to an absolute asshole of a stalker (seriously, fuck that guy with a rusty spoon), the absolute apocalypse that this year is turning out to be and the forums the story was in exploding, I had to essentially have a funeral for that game by myself. So... yeah, feeling pretty melancholic by now.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 04, 2020, 01:15:30 AM »
So tonight I finally put the final word on a story I had been writing on a freeform game for going on... about eight years now, I think.

Due to a complete clusterfuck of circumstances, it was basically all but abandoned by the beginning of this year, but even if I wanted it to end with a whimper, not a bang, I still wanted to give everyone involved a chance to say goodbye to their characters in a manner befitting them. After all, they spent most if not all of that time writing with me.

And thanks to an absolute asshole of a stalker (seriously, fuck that guy with a rusty spoon), the absolute apocalypse that this year is turning out to be and the forums the story was in exploding, I had to essentially have a funeral for that game by myself. So... yeah, feeling pretty melancholic by now.

:hug

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »

Due to a complete cluster*** of circumstances, it was basically all but abandoned by the beginning of this year, but even if I wanted it to end with a whimper, not a bang, I still wanted to give everyone involved a chance to say goodbye to their characters in a manner befitting them. After all, they spent most if not all of that time writing with me.

And thanks to an absolute *** of a stalker (seriously, *** that guy with a rusty spoon), the absolute apocalypse that this year is turning out to be and the forums the story was in exploding, I had to essentially have a funeral for that game by myself. So... yeah, feeling pretty melancholic by now.

Ouch... Sorry to hear that. We are still here for you! ^^

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:19 AM »
Thanks guys. I mean it.

Oh and niji, sorry about the swears.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #586 on: July 05, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I mean it.

Oh and niji, sorry about the swears.

It's pretty hot over here, yeah, so hot, I was sweating through my eyeballs... so, I was blinking a lot, and may have missed a word or two here or there! *cough* yeah, so. =D

(thanks for your consideration!!)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
Heh, no problem.

At least the little bastard didn't show up to gloat this time.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2020, 02:46:25 AM »
One of my coworkers is resigning so he can go back to school. Good for him!

...except that I get all his shifts...

...which make my existing shifts doubles (8 on, 8 off, 8 on) and 16s.

...woo overtime?  :banghead

Social Security is going to have my head after this pandemic is over with the money I've been making. Weird thing to be upset about, but here we are.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
If anybody has any idea how a guy from Brazil who recently graduated business school with little skills to his name other than a decent grasp on the English language and a passing knowledge of Japanese can make money online, please tell me.

I'm honestly getting tired of my current unemployment.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #590 on: July 14, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
If anybody has any idea how a guy from Brazil who recently graduated business school with little skills to his name other than a decent grasp on the English language and a passing knowledge of Japanese can make money online, please tell me.

I think there are some reasonable language teaching positions that work remotely. Some require a bachelors, other's simply require native fluency... in any case, read the fine print and search up reviews of the company, students, and former teachers if possible!

Obviously this would require a reliable home internet connection and computer as well as a microphone and head set or good speakers.

(cosplay may or may not be permitted, depending on contract....) ^^

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #591 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

OnlyFans?
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »

OnlyFans?
What kinda content would I create? And don't say 'adult', there's no way people would pay to see my hairy ass.

I think there are some reasonable language teaching positions that work remotely. Some require a bachelors, other's simply require native fluency... in any case, read the fine print and search up reviews of the company, students, and former teachers if possible!

Obviously this would require a reliable home internet connection and computer as well as a microphone and head set or good speakers.

(cosplay may or may not be permitted, depending on contract....) ^^

I've been looking into this, but as with everything that has to do with employment my search-fu is too weak.

(Would be cool if I could teach in cosplay, though.)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
 :D :P :lmao
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #594 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:51 AM »

I've been looking into this, but as with everything that has to do with employment my search-fu is too weak.

(Would be cool if I could teach in cosplay, though.)

Verbling has 7500+ teachers, teaching over 50 languages and self-describes their site as the most advanced language learning platform in the world.

iTalki says they have over 5 million language learners learning from their native speaker teachers. Students can scroll through the profiles of professional teachers to find one that suits their needs.

Verbal Planet is another platform with multiple languages, and they deliver classes via skype.

Here are three that might work. I found some others, more popular, but the other sites indicated that one has to have a US or Canada work permit? I'm hoping these three don't require that.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 16, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
Definitely worth a look. Thanks niji!

Incidentally, if you ever have the time, I could use someone to practice my Japanese with.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #596 on: July 19, 2020, 11:20:36 PM »
Definitely worth a look. Thanks niji!

Incidentally, if you ever have the time, I could use someone to practice my Japanese with.

That's a possibility! I guess it would depend on details and specifics. Please PM me with contact info and we can exchange emails or discord or something?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 20, 2020, 06:26:09 PM »
Moving has been hell.  Last week it came to a head when the painters took the bathroom door off to paint, and then the realtor who my uncle hired to help both bring up the house we're moving from and help us into a new one told us my uncle had said we'd be out by now so the realtor scheduled people based on us not being there.  At that point my dad said "we're done here, we have to go to a motel or whatever." so we're at an Extended Stay America for $60 a night each, and we have the rooms for a week so all told it's nearly $900 just for a week's worth of lodging because we can't stay in the house.

We were never given a set date to be out.  It's all been waffle like "Hopefully out before Labor Day" or some shit like that.  Asshole, if you had given us a set day before even hiring someone then we at least would have had a solid goal that we could work towards instead of "Move as fast as you can and get out."

And today while at work I get a text from my dad saying "You need to get up here, now.  They're cleaning downstairs fully." I am so glad I worked my butt off the past few weeks to be ahead on my duties, but I shouldn't have had to be rushed like this.  Now everything is cleaned out of the house now (and a lot moved into the garage, but at least that work is pretty well done) so I hope my uncle is happy.  I so want to punch his lights out.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 20, 2020, 11:59:05 PM »
I developed a thrombosed hemorrhoid. Blood clot in the vascular tissue in your butt. It's extremely painful, with the lowest level of pain being the kind of burn you get from pooping spicy stuff, and the highest being "oh god if I was bleeding I'd be absolutely convinced I was dying".

...Naturally, work assigned me ANOTHER 16 hour shift.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 21, 2020, 08:42:41 PM »
Hugs.  We all been there.
 :hug