Author Topic: Silverblood Night (Bloodbourne Martial Discipline)  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Silverblood Night (Bloodbourne Martial Discipline)
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Silverblood Night

To those who hunt the beasts in the dark, the ability to use their own blood as a tool against the creatures that hunger for it is both valuable and amusing. The users of Silverblood Night maneuvers treat blood as but fuel for their fights, draining themselves and their enemies to maim and burn, using exotic concoctions to make their vital humors into valuable alchemical reagents in their own right. A fight against a user of these Maneuvers often involves rarely-seen compact weapons powered by lever and pully or explosive powders and hardened shot, often replacing the projectiles by drawing and reshaping fluids from their veins. Up close, matters tend towards being more grotesque, with the namesake specialty of turning ones' blood into silver being used to form conduits by which the hunter can take on a seeming of the hunted, draining life from those they strike alongside whatever alchemical effects they desire.

The key skill for the Silverblood Night discipline is Craft (Alchemy). The weapons of the typical form of Silverblood Night are the Hand Crossbow, Pistol, Dagger and Rapier

(click to show/hide)

Maneuvers

1st level
Adrenal Coagulation: Stance. Grants delayed damage pool and restores health on melee attacks.

(click to show/hide)

Burnsilver Forging: Boost. Create ammo or Thrown weapon that deals bonus Fire damage at cost of health.

(click to show/hide)

2nd level
Hardsilver Quickshot: Strike. Instantly make attack with a ranged weapon with bonus Piercing damage at the cost of health.

(click to show/hide)

3rd level
Marrowblade: Boost. Increases damage and reach and makes attacks heal, at cost of attacking self.

(click to show/hide)

4th level
Burnsilver Quickshot: Strike. Instantly make attack with a ranged weapon with bonus Fire damage at the cost of health and taking Fire damage.

(click to show/hide)

5th level

(click to show/hide)

6th level
Caustic Runoff: Boost. Adds Acid and Constitution damage to melee attacks and Maneuvers at the cost of taking Acid damage.

(click to show/hide)

7th level

(click to show/hide)

8th level

(click to show/hide)

9th level

(click to show/hide)

---

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:10:22 AM by Versatility_Nut »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodbourne Martial Discipline
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
This might be way off the wall, but for your "network maneuvers" this homebrew system does an interesting take on it.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
This might be way off the wall, but for your "network maneuvers" this homebrew system does an interesting take on it.

First off: Apparently the mods move sufficiently detailed and/or large ideas to new threads. Because I actually posted this in the Martial Discipline Compendium. Because I don't usually have the idea posts as the start of a thread so the OP can be just the actual mechanical implementation. I suppose I'll have to edit that into a spoiler before the actual mechanical area... Good thing that I already have clear mechanical ideas for a skeleton of the Discipline.

Second, I specifically mentioned not going full Heron Marked. First paragraph after the topic break, marked with a "---". I do admit that it's partially an inspiration base on what little I can glean of the intricate system fit for a full-on Fighting Game RPG. Really couldn't figure it out due to the rules being kinda scattered and disorganized, a common issue with homebrew. Although if I ever do a Soul Caliber based class, I'm probably making it a Heron Marked setup because the system's just too damn close to the mechanics. It has piles of positions for what you can make a strike from.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
It would have gotten moved because the Martial Discipline Compendium is just a thread listed a bunch of homebrew martial disciplines, it's a resource with no original homebrew or mechanics.

Sorry, I missed that.  When people wall of text I skim looking for major talking points.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
It would have gotten moved because the Martial Discipline Compendium is just a thread listed a bunch of homebrew martial disciplines, it's a resource with no original homebrew or mechanics.

Sorry, I missed that.  When people wall of text I skim looking for major talking points.
Well, the reason I put it there is due to having seen quite a bit of talking about Discipline ideas that haven't been posted. I'll probably use the subschool system of replacement for some of the ideas that I threw out for the sake of coherence, like having the Beast Plague represented as a series of transformative Stances and Unarmed/Natural Attack abilities which I was considering to use as filler. As-is, I'll be using type-shifting to differentiate what would otherwise be identical save for damage. Scaling damage on Maneuvers is a lot less problematic with scaling backlash damage to screw you on a miss, after all!

...Making firearms, bows, crossbows, repeating crossbows, slings and thrown weapons all work is going to be annoying. I could rely on damage multipliers, but that just causes more problems with the instant cannon reload that I intend to be available as a Strike. Blegh, balancing this is going to be annoying. Good thing there's several basics to copy from the official Disciplines as a balance point...

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »
Okay, I've got two Maneuvers done for the sake of basic display of what I'm doing here, along with placeholder names and statblocks for another two.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Silverblood Night (Bloodbourne Martial Discipline)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:33 AM »
I have started doing more of the thing! After two and a half years! Thoughts on making the Special Materials into scaling ones so that the Maneuvers aren't running on different numbers? How much gold can Fabricate really pump out, as a reference point for daily production of Hardsilver? Would it be a bad idea to make the 9th level a Stance that just lets you vomit copious amounts of materials, including Acid and Con damage nonsense that is both Special Material and Poison? How bad form is it to give a bonus for learning a Maneuver?

General balance concerns, thoughts on wording for yet-made elements, ideas for not-actually-lifted mechanics that'd fit well with the central concept?