Author Topic: Anyone run 5e Ravenloft - Curse of Strahd - tips?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
Anyone run 5e Ravenloft - Curse of Strahd - tips?
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
Planning on running Ravenloft as part of an ongoing campaign, modifying some small bits of the story for appropriate continuity.

For anyone's who's run the 5e version, any tips or pitfalls to avoid as a DM?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone run 5e Ravenloft - Curse of Strahd - tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 06:20:32 AM »
I studied the adventure fairly extensively in preparation for running it, though I haven't gotten around to doing so. I also played through about half of it. My first comment is that it's a pretty interconnected adventure with a quite strong plot thread running through, but it's hard to realize this in how it's written. The whole book is laid out kind of like a computer game, by area instead of by story like many other adventures are, so if you want to get an idea of the story beats the players are mostly expected to follow, though they can strike off and explore, you're going to have to hunt through the book.

A good example of this contained within a single area is in Strahd's castle: Several events throughout the book lead to the characters getting a formal invitation to dine with the Prince. When they follow the invitation, Strahd's chamberlain awaits them in the entrance hall and leads them to the dining room, where they find Strahd playing the organ, he talks with them briefly, then mocks them and disappears. But this is not presented as one event, rather the section on the entrance hall simply reads "The chamberlain leads the characters to the dining hall area" and then the dining hall section says "when the characters first enter, they find Strahd playing the organ, etcetera".

Basically all the plot lines are presented like this, often across multiple parts of the map, and there are a fair number of them. This isn't bad as such - the point is to enable a sandbox approach, and the module does a decent job of bypassing the inherent problems of sandbox play - but I definitely recommend reading through carefully and making notes on interconnected events so you can plan for them and don't miss them.

As another general note, it is important to keep in mind the kind of players you have and how they will react to dangerous situations. Curse of Strahd cavalierly lets you walk into encounters you really can't handle, so have a plan for signaling to players that an area is very dangerous, or that an encounter is out of your players' league, and a way of handling retreat outside of the combat system. For example, if you want to start at first level, the final encounter of Death House is a shambling mount, a CR 5 monster that four or five level 2 characters really aren't going to kill on their own unless they do something like slow it down and then bring the house down on it (as my group did). Make sure the players realize a heads-on confrontation is a bad idea as early as possible, and that they're not necessarily shackled to the combat system.

Lastly, two specific encounters that left an impression in actual play, one good and one bad: First, at the vineyard, there are three druids and hordes upon hordes (double-digit numbers) of blights. When I read this on paper, it seemed like the kind of ill-conceived fight that doesn't actually work well in a game, but when we played it out, it actually ended up being tense and well-paced. The best way to fight this is to not stand your ground, keep moving, and take out the druids one by one - they all start out alone, so they're actually easy to kill if you move quickly and don't give them time to regroup and the players feel like a badass fantasy SWAT team. Just don't actually take the blights' 30-50 turns individually.

Second, the revenants at Argynvostholt. There are a few ways to earn their hostility and be attacked by them within the fort. The problem here isn't so much the danger - you'll probably be level 4 or 5 by the time you poke your head in there - as their durability. Once you leave the fort, you have an order of implacable enemies, and that's fine, but within the fort, you get attacked by large numbers of monsters with high hit points, high AC, regeneration, and not very exciting combat tactics, so that fighting your way out is a huge, boring slog. In this case, they're not individually so threatening that it's a clear signal the PCs should cut and run, so they're like as not to commit to fighting the revenants (and possibly be overwhelmed by attrition anyway).
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
Over on Reddit, someone ran a very extensive series of advice and observations area by area: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindTheScreen/comments/4gsjby/modules_what_i_have_learned_from_running_curse_of/

I haven't run it myself yet, but these are the areas that stuck out to me from reading:

Old Bonegrinder: The recommended level of 4 is a joke, at least if you run this as a straight combat encounter. The PCs are also very likely to stumble over this area very early, and the adventure is terrible about hinting about that this is a.) a Night Hag circle in the first place and b.) how fucking dangerous a night hag circle is.
A trustworthy NPC like Ismark or one of the wereravens of Blue Water Inn should warn them straight that they are in over their head if they barge in and try to duke it out, and drop some clear hints on the nature and capabilities of night hags. - If they go for a non-combat solution (remember, the hags are primarily interested into making money from selling pastries and snatching children, not into duking it out with random adventurers) or can break the circle with wasp sting ambushes as the hags mill about the map to sell their merchandise, it becomes much more manageable at the early levels.

Vallaki, Coffin Maker: Another early, extremely deadly encounter with too little forewarning. This one is easily defused by making the coffin maker more helpful by mentioning the vampire nest in the attic and how important it is to move quietly and directly to the McGuffin. If the PCs still decide to barge in and cause a TPK - well, that is what a sandbox is for, but they at least made an informed decision.

Allies: Some like van Richten or Mordenkainen can keep up with the group, but most like Ismark or the gypsie girl are much too fragile to be actually taken along with the group - keeping them alive costs more and is in the more dangerous parts nearly impossible, than can be gained from the free inspiration. At least their passive defenses (HP, Saves, AC) need to be shored up, just to make them able to survive AoEs.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
I disagree with the conclusion about Strahd's enemy (that their defenses may need to be shored up): First off, for some of them, it plain doesn't make sense to do so. Of course the vistani child is going to be a noncombatant. I think it is fine that some of the possible allies are weaker or more fragile than others - note that "no ally at all" is also a possible outcome. If the ally is not someone who can feasibly fight alongside them, they will have to make choices when wandering into potentially dangerous areas. Leave them behind and risk Strahd's assassins finding them, or take them along and place them in danger? Perhaps, if going somewhere like Argynvostholt or the Amber Temple, the ally might tag along to the entrance, then hide nearby while the characters explore.

Even in a fight, that Strahd knows who his enemy is doesn't mean every fight will be about monsters trying to kill the ally and the characters preventing that. Barring specific orders, any combatant will focus on enemy combatants who are a real threat first. Even then, Strahd's servants have free will and their own goals and approaches. Worried about area attacks or ranged attacks? Have the noncombatant get away from the melee and take cover at the start of a fight, like a real person would when a firefight breaks out. In the very worst case scenario, the players can just let their ally die, if they're callously inclined.

I do dislike the inclusion of Mordenkainen in general and especially as a potential ally for the opposite reason, because he's an archmage with 9th-level spells that will probably just carry the party by himself.

And finally, if you don't want to worry about any of the above and have the ally NPC stand on their own in a fight, just fudge the reading to get one of the allies that can do that. Ezmeralda, Rictavio, and Sir Godfrey are good ones.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:32:15 AM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
idk about tips

my boy n his buddies played, someone nat 20 / 1 shot'd strahd and broke the adventure...
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 05:44:49 PM »
I do dislike the inclusion of Mordenkainen in general and especially as a potential ally for the opposite reason, because he's an archmage with 9th-level spells that will probably just carry the party by himself.
Agree on Mordenkainen, he is too much of a good thing in the opposite direction, and could easily overshadow the PCs. I'd probably replace him with a weaker mage of my own creation that doesn't carry so much lore baggage.