Author Topic: What ways are there to maximize the number of grapple checks made in a round?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
Exactly what it says on the tin.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Be something with improved grab and get lots of natural attacks?

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Be something with improved grab and get lots of natural attacks?

Okay so you hit someone and make a grapple check and succeed. Now that you're already grappling someone, do you get to hit with your other natural attacks to try and restart a grapple multiple times even though you're already holding a person?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Uh... no, but you can certainly still make the attacks. I'm not really sure why you'd want to make grapple checks after grappling someone once already, though. @_@

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Uh... no, but you can certainly still make the attacks. I'm not really sure why you'd want to make grapple checks after grappling someone once already, though. @_@

I'm playing around with an E6 dolgaunt build. Dolgaunts get a racial ability that allows them to deal 1 point of Con damage after every successful grapple check.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile

I'm playing around with an E6 dolgaunt build. Dolgaunts get a racial ability that allows them to deal 1 point of Con damage after every successful grapple check.

One of the actions you can take in a grapple is to make a grapple check in place of an attack and deal unarmed nonlethal damage. Naturally, having lots of attacks helps.

Damage Your Opponent
While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If you want to deal lethal damage, you take a -4 penalty on your grapple check.

Exception: Monks deal more damage on an unarmed strike than other characters, and the damage is lethal. However, they can choose to deal their damage as nonlethal damage when grappling without taking the usual -4 penalty for changing lethal damage to nonlethal damage.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile

One of the actions you can take in a grapple is to make a grapple check in place of an attack and deal unarmed nonlethal damage. Naturally, having lots of attacks helps.

Damage Your Opponent
While grappling, you can deal damage to your opponent equivalent to an unarmed strike. Make an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. If you win, you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If you want to deal lethal damage, you take a -4 penalty on your grapple check.

Exception: Monks deal more damage on an unarmed strike than other characters, and the damage is lethal. However, they can choose to deal their damage as nonlethal damage when grappling without taking the usual -4 penalty for changing lethal damage to nonlethal damage.

Okay so if a character makes a claw attack in a grapple and uses this option, that claw attack would only deal the characters unarmed strike damage  even if the claw damage was much higher? And by the wording of that paragraph, would the character always deal the listed damage for an unarmed strike or would it deal the damage of the characters unarmed strike (like if a small 1st level monk character got Imp Natural Attack, would it deal 1d6 damage or 1d8)? The quote says you deal nonlethal damage as normal for your unarmed strike.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Get Beast Strike perhaps to up the damage a bit?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
One of the benefits of Improved Grab, is that you can attempt to hold a creature with only the appendage you made the attack before your free grapple check, by taking a -20 penalty, which can be alleviated to -10 with the Multigrab and further to 0 with Greater Multigrab feats. I'm playing an Anthropomorphic Octopus who uses this to make 6 grapple checks in a single round, dealing constriction damage on every one, and rending constriction damage every second successful tentacle grab. If you're talking Theoretical Optimization wise, you can instead use a an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid, and get 8 tentacles instead, at the cost of +1 LA on top of 2 Monstrous Humanoid HD. Next, are grafts. You can get at least 2 more pair of arms with grafts, for a total of 10 pairs of limbs you can make grapple checks with. Next, you splash Totemist to get Girallon Arms bound to your Totem, for 2 more pairs, totalling 12. You then get a wizard buddy to cast Blessing of the Girallon on you to total 14 pair of arms. Then you get your wizard buddy to also cast Arms of Plenty, for 16 pairs of arms. Not all of those arms can make attacks, though, so you can get him to also cast Fuse Arms to fuse those who can't with those who can, and you'll stay at about 12 pairs of arms, but with a massive bonus to Strength.

Sounds about good?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life