Author Topic: Question about crafting materials  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Xavier319

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Question about crafting materials
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Alright, here's the situation.  You're crafting, in pathfinder, I know crafting is just a money saver.  But what if you're not in a town?  Can you turn money into items?  When you're in town do you have to buy generic "potion brewing" materials, or do you have to buy materials specifically for potions of shield of faith, for example?  I cannot find an official ruling on this, what have you guys done, and what were some successful compromises.  In our game, I'm playing an alchemist, and we're in the jungle, almost no time in town, so can I make potions, or do I have to go back to town and buy 10k gold worth of "potion bits"? Thanks!

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Question about crafting materials
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:50 AM »
Well, one option I like is to get loot in raw crafting materials. A lot of magical creature parts could count as that.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Xavier319

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
thanks! Any other ideas?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »
While I'm not particularly well versed in PF stuff, 3.5 crafting rules have the caveat of assuming appropriate tools and materials are available.  Improvised tools yield a -2 on the craft check, while masterwork ones provide a +2.  As for the materials themselves, I know of no one who would say the materials for a potion of shield are different than one for bull's strength.  I do know of some DM's who will just say "1k of your wealth is from X materials," such as when my cleric cast a Revivify on a party member and the DM was like "you've got 20k on you? Yeah, at least 1k of that is in diamonds. Go ahead and cast it, then mark the wealth off."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
you are in a jungle... survival check plus time to gather appropriate components.