Author Topic: I'm trying to build a front liner who's first level is in sorcerer.  (Read 2295 times)

Offline NumberKruncher

• Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    • View Profile
I've seen the paladin 2/sorcerer X build mentioned around other boards as a great build, and its piqued my interest. I think it's really cool, being an almost full caster who can be on the front lines.

I want to make a vhuman with warcaster at level 1. This means taking sorcerer as my first level (as going paladin at level 1 means you're not a spell caster, which means you're not able to take the feat).

How can I do this, 27 point buy, and still have a character who can hold his own on the front line?

This DM allows any official D&D book plus the Unearthed Arcana pdfs.

Thank you all.

Edit: I may have figured something out. Look for a long reply soon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:35:40 PM by NumberKruncher »
Dwarf FTW.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to build a front liner who's first level is in sorcerer.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
Stone Sorcerer makes it possible without the paladin levels.  You get a +1 boost to HP every level, making you equivalent to a d8 for max HP.  You get Con-based AC and Con save proficiency, eliminating some of the MAD you'd experience normally trying to make a sorcerer that has sufficient HP, AC, and Con to maintain concentration on the front line.  Take Shield as a 1st level spell and don't be afraid to use it.  Take Blur when you get level 2 spells and abuse quicken to get your protective buffs up and still make attacks.

You can take a spell list that minimizes the necessity of Charisma if you want to focus on weapons.  Take Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade in your starting cantrip suite.  Use something like Sleep for control at low levels and retrain it later.  Haste, Fly, Greater Invisibility, Animate Objects, etc. will make you better at attacking things without using your Charisma.  That should allow you to buy a decent Strength score at the start to use the martial weapon proficiency granted by the archetype.

I'm currently playing a sorcerer like this that has survived with no close calls up to level 6 so far.  My experience is colored a bit by using a DM-granted array with a free feat at creation, so I was able to play a Scourge Aasimar.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:24:51 PM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline NumberKruncher

• Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »
Thanks tenacious3.

I'm trying to work out a stone sorcerer/Hex blade warlock.

It's looking good as I brainstorm. I'm going to be posting it on giantitp simultaneously.

(I am at work now so bear with me)
Dwarf FTW.

Offline Delicate Swarm

• Lurker
  • Get some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
1 level of cleric gets you heavy armor even if its not the first level. 

Life Cleric 1 Sorc X is actually pretty good.  Sanctuary and Shield of faith are good spells to have on a tank (assuming that's what you want to do.

This:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471899-Ridiculously-good-healer-(just-for-fun)

is a interesting build that can do a lot.  Heal, tank, control, and even some blasting later on.