Author Topic: Checking interest; A different dungeoncrawl RECRUITMENT CLOSED  (Read 4888 times)

Offline AlisAtAn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
I`m looking to get back into D&D, and seeing as I`m currently stuck in a smalltown in Australia that barely has a name (And very poor internet), PbP seems the way to go.  :D

I`m considering running a one-off dungeoncrawl from the Dungeon Crawl Classics series, with monsters as the PC`s, just for some variety. Why a bunch of sprites, goblinoids, and other misfits would choose to band up together and go dungeoneering, is a worry for another day... Consider this a chance to try out that Nixie Dread Necro you always had floating around in the back of your head, or an antromorphic bahleen-whale barbarian.  :smirk

This will just be a one-shot for now, but if it turns out to be good fun, I`m not opposed to keeping the adventure going.

Char creation rules: Tier 3 classes, any races\templates\what have you (As long as its not something stupidly broken), and if its something that isnt supposed to be a PC class, but looks like serious fun, ask. Cohort races, LA -, awakened animals... I realize this likely wont turn out very balanced, but as long as all the players are off a roughly equal power level, happy days.

Starting ECL will be 3, but everyone gets 1LA for free, and if we keep going, LA buyoff rules apply. Also, HD can be switched for LA, but this will cost you all BAB, saves, feats etc gained from the removed HD (But you keep all your racial abilities). Example: An Antro Baleen whale normally has 3HD, but under my houserules it can turn 1HD into 1LA (Which is a freebee), and start out with 2HD Monstrous Humanoid, and 1lvl Barbarian. The reason for the free LA, is to encourage people to choose more interesting races without worrying about missing class levels, and if we decide to keep going, it makes it alot easier to buy off your remaining LA.

If this sounds like your cup of tea, please post interest, plus a rough outline of what you`d like to play. No lengthy backgrounds or tedious builds for now, just a race, class, and imagined party role. Dont worry overly much about alignment. Devils, angels, or something between, if you can squeeze it into ECL3 (Or it has a racial progression), you`re good to go.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:23:58 PM by AlisAtAn »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Checking interest; A different dungeoncrawl
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
Why don't you use oslecamo's improved monster classes?  They are made for just such an emergency, and you don't have to worry about any sort of weird LA/RHD rules, since CR = levels in the class.

Either way I'm game.  So currently, only monsters with ECL <= 4 (including LA +1) are go?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline AlisAtAn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
I didnt know about Osle`s work, I`ll have to look into that...

And yes, monsters with ECL <= 4 (including LA +1), although stuff like the awesome Ambush Drake, which has a racial progression, is fine too.

EDIT: I`ve looked over the OIMC stuff, and it looks pretty good. They actually solve the only dilemma I had when I decided to DM, start at lvl1, or play with fun races. Or, I dont see how we`d solve the trapfinding aspect of dungeoneering... Not many skillmonkeys there at a low lvl, unless someone wants to get creative.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:03:02 PM by AlisAtAn »

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:33:05 AM »
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:40:16 AM by Daedroth »
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the Gate!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
So we're go for oslecamo's stuff?

Is this Evil only, or no?

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
Is this Evil only, or no?

Dont worry overly much about alignment. Devils, angels, or something between, if you can squeeze it into ECL3 (Or it has a racial progression), you`re good to go.

We can have in the same party a Paladin and a Balor XD

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
OK, I'm in with either a Couatl, an Ethergaunt, or a Firre Eladrin (not complete yet).

EDIT: Firre Eladrin is complete, barring editing from oslecamo and others.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:38:27 PM by sirpercival »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
Ooh, monsters. I am fond of playing as monsters. Always wanted to try out the Solar or Balor progressions
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:08:19 PM by littha »

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
I'm in, if you'll have me.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
If there's room, there are always monsters I want to try out. But I don't want to take up anyone else's spot, so I'll only join up if there's room.

Offline AlisAtAn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Checking interest; A different dungeoncrawl RECRUITMENT CLOSED
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:42:28 PM »
5 players, so I guess I`m stuck going through with this.  :shakefist 

I`ll ask for a board to be set up, but there`s a few kinks we`ll need to work out before we can start. Mainly, traps and why such a oddball band of creatures are working together. We might have to do some houseruling for traps (I`m thinking someone might get Disable Device on their list), and you guys can work out for yourself your background as a party. Doesnt have to make perfect sense or be greatly expanded upon, this will be a pretty relaxed campaign. Outcasts? Greedy and turned to adventuring? Arcane experiments?

I`ll get char-creation rules and stuff up when we get a board.  ;)

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
You don't really need disable devide when simply smashing the mechanism or ripping a door off it's hinges, poison trap and all, works perfectly fine.

Plus, some monster classes are rogue likes. The LeShay and Shade are good examples of this.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 11:16:54 PM »
If we have someone else playing a fuller caster, I'll go Firre Eladrin and rock out some bardic delicious.  If not, I'll be either a Couatl or an Ethergaunt, depending on my mood.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »
I'll use a Tsochar, so if anyone can paralyse or disable someone so I can cut my way into their body and ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL, that would be helpful. I don't get the dex damaging posion until the forth hitdice, I'm afraid.

Also, the racial class allows me to effortlessly multiclass into sorc or wizard, as it lets me count Tsochar levels as arcane spellcasting levels for most purposes (Spells gained, CL, and so forth). Would you be willing to let me apply it to psionics instead? Psionics seem much more in keeping with what a Tsochar would do, much in the same way that mindflayers get Sorc levels but are really suposed to have Psion levels.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:28:04 AM by Wrex »

Offline AlisAtAn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:00 AM »

Also, the racial class allows me to effortlessly multiclass into sorc or wizard, as it lets me count Tsochar levels as arcane spellcasting levels for most purposes (Spells gained, CL, and so forth). Would you be willing to let me apply it to psionics instead? Psionics seem much more in keeping with what a Tsochar would do, much in the same way that mindflayers get Sorc levels but are really suposed to have Psion levels.

I`d rather not have any Tier 1 classes involved... Pretty hard to challenge on higher levels. Sorc is fine, but I`m not that familiar with Psionics. So Sorc, or something else with casting. Beguiler, Dread Necro, Bard, Warmage etc. Beguiler would supplement the innate deceitfulness of your race quite well, I think.  :smirk

You don't really need disable devide when simply smashing the mechanism or ripping a door off it's hinges, poison trap and all, works perfectly fine.

If you guys are up for the challenge, I`m game. Would make for some interesting situations, I`m sure... I guess Daedroth`s Sherman (Tank) can go first, and hope for the best.  :D

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 03:37:04 AM »
Beguiler now has left me with horrible mental images. Think about it.

Or rather, don't. It's something so terrible Bhu would come up with it. Anyway, I won;t have casting at the begining of the game.

Does the free LA still apply if we use monster classes? I was going to go Tsochar 3 and grab a template on top of that, if it still applies

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »

I`d rather not have any Tier 1 classes involved... Pretty hard to challenge on higher levels. Sorc is fine, but I`m not that familiar with Psionics. So Sorc, or something else with casting. Beguiler, Dread Necro, Bard, Warmage etc. Beguiler would supplement the innate deceitfulness of your race quite well, I think.  :smirk

At that low level the Tiers are somewhat reversed, (Tier 1 are pretty weak at that level), and at the speed of a forum game I think that we won't play at high levels on Tier 1 can break the game.

If you guys are up for the challenge, I`m game. Would make for some interesting situations, I`m sure... I guess Daedroth`s Sherman (Tank) can go first, and hope for the best.  :D

I don't know why, but i'm scared XDD

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
We could Summon Dead Celestial Monkey... or, y'know, get a few Bags of Tricks with our WBL.

Offline AlisAtAn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=108.0

Thats us.  :D Please take any discussions over to the OOC thread.