Author Topic: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."  (Read 23698 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
He reaches up but doesn't just try to touch the jewel, he attempts to grab it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:48:20 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:06:20 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
walks forward purposely and touches the midnight black crystal
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 03:37:50 AM »
When the room lights up you see a young-ish looking dwarf, with long pale white, almost blue, hair, and brown eyes (or are they red?). He's definitely not a child, but also definitely not an adult. His most arresting feature, aside from his hair and eyes, is his face, which seems fixed in a scowl and, despite the brand new body, still appears to have a few scars on the cheeks and forehead.

When he sees the corpses in the middle of the room, Qoden just looks on impassively, the expression on his face unchanged. He remembers enough of his schooling at the monastery to have some grasp of the symbols, but he had already come to terms with the fact that some innocents would almost certainly die in his drive for vengeance. After a long moment of contemplation, a brief contortion of Qoden's face - which, upon reflection, must have been a smile - accompanies a quick chuckle. Vengeance and (apparent) salvation. Perfect!

Qoden grunts at the quivering, sobbing mess in the corner, "Oh, calm down!"

(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Qoden walks over to the crystal, and reaches out to touch it, thinking about what equipment he would need to begin this quest:
  • Armor and shield to protect himself in a fight.
  • A mundane weapon for when his other abilities would not suit the situation.
  • Some magical elixirs for healing.
  • A small quantity of this marvelous substance he'd come across that shapes itself to your desires.
  • Various accessories every traveler needs to be prepared.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:13:39 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »
Bridget touched the rock.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
Each and every one of you touch the rock, and as you touch it, you feel it sucking your thoughts directly from your head, a process which, while not painful, is extremely uncomfortable...

Solomon turns to you, and says:

I will now guide you to the next room, please, follow me.

He turns, and the double doors he came from open as he walks towards them, and inside you can see only blackness.

-----------------------

As you walk into the door behind him, your perception shifts, and it seems like you walked a distance far greater than you thought you did. The air is not so stagnant, and the fragrances you perceived in the other room - blood, incenses, herbs and spices - are no longer present. The air is strangely inodorous, and the illumination doesn't seem to come from any physical source. The walls are made of carved stone, inlaid with several engravings.

In the walls, are men wearing armor and lances, and they walk side by side with shields as big as themselves. Others are wearing helmets with what seem to be horse hair on top. You see several such drawings, showing them in battle with several enemies, each wearing different armor, and of different sizes. Several latin inscriptions accompany the drawings.

(Make a Knowledge: History or an Intelligence check to see if you recognize the drawings and what they symbolize. If you have Int over 16 you already know Latin and know what the symbols and drawings are, they are Roman in nature, and depict Roman Legions fighting and conquering several different armies, at the height of the Holy Roman Empire, as well as some Greek drawings, showing Hoplites and Spartans.)

You walk towards the long corridor, and at last, you come upon a a fork, leading to what seem to be living quarters. Solomon turns to you once more.

These are going to be your living quarters for the meantime. You can get some rest, clean yourselves up, and in the morrow, i will have all the equipment you requested, and we can discuss the details of your first assignment.

He makes a signal, and a tall, lean man seemingly steps out from the shadows. You never even knew the man was there. He is unnaturally tall, and unnaturally thin, and wears a scarf around his face. His skin is black and tanned, and sports several tattoos. You recall having heard of men like that hailing from the east.

This is Hassin. He is my servant, and will provide you with anything you might wish for the night. He, too, has a grudge with the Church, and will be aiding you several times during your endeavors. He will be able to answer most of your questions regarding the nature of the quest ahead. I must now remove myself, for i need to acquire what you requested. Rest well, for the journey ahead is long and harsh
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:33:41 PM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
shifts his armor a little and says gruffly I will be claiming that one, it is closest to the door then walks to the room and puts his pack in there
- All Spells
- playground

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
The still-naked man says, "Well, isn't he the social one. While I could certainly use a bath as a chance to scour my mind clean. Hassin, mayhap you could get the servants to prepare the water while we become acquainted?"

Turning to the female of the group, "It'd please me if you joined me for a quick, and discreet, meeting. Purely professional mind you. I've just been in hell for so long you understand."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:39:59 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
Bartok grunts, annoyed that the old man ignored every single one of his questions.  He look at Hassin, eyeing him to estimate how much of a threat he might pose.  Deciding that a servant is a servant, Bartok orders, "Clothes."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
"And why, perchance, would you desire a meeting with one such as myself?" Bridget asked, folding her arms and attempting to look as regal as it was possible to be whilst both underweight and in the buff. She didn't seem entirely perturbed by the nudity, despite the number of men around, but that could be put down to the phantasmal armour that was floating an inch or so above her skin.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
The crawling wretch takes his usual fetal position in the corner, attempting to disappear into the stone.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
continues to wait in the doorway for his equipment to appear
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
Hassin turns to Bartok and says, in a rasp, almost aggressively coarse voice. Closet. Look there.

He then stands against the stone, and smiles slyly. Mutering to himself... So is this the best that insane coot could find, huh...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
The albino, apparently engrossed in checking her time as a corpse had not negatively impacted the weapon she held in her hands--a weapon that, by all appearances, was basically a crossbow lacking the actual 'bow' element and inexplicably crafted out of what seemed like ruby--overheard, and tested out the weapon by shooting a very straightforward bolt into the wall beside the man, launched by a string of gleaming light. Subtlety? Not under her purview.

"I don't doubt that there were many inferior choices."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
From the corner comes an absolutely bloodcurdling scream. "DON'T LOOK AT MEEE!!!!"

Then, suddenly, the whimpering and writhing stops. The man slowly stands up, revealing himself to be thin and haggard, with slightly bulging eyes, but calm and composed. His voice rasps like leather on granite, and his accent is urbane and cultured, but a slight quaver betrays the effort he is putting forth. "My apologies, all. I am called Eos. Please forgive my outburst, and any which I may put forth in the future... I find self-control to be a constant struggle, hm?"
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
Bartok goes to rummage around in a closet until he finds an outfit appropriately simple and potentially green.  He likes green.

Once he finds acceptable clothes he goes back to join the others, feeling more like himself than he has so far today.  Now all he needs is a bath.  And his gear.  And dinner.  And to get paid since he has a new job.

He just shakes his head at Eos once his little speech is over and says, "I like making people be afraid of me but you seem to be afraid all the time anyway.  That takes all the fun out of it."

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
The unfortunate-looking dwarf goes to the closet indicated by Hassin and pulls out a suitable robe, dons it, and turns back to the motley assemblage. My name is Qoden. If we are to be working together - as it seems we are - to bring down the church, perhaps it would help if we all knew each others' reasons for agreeing to do so. Since I brought it up, I'll go first. Qoden takes a deep breath, and an ugly gleam comes to his eyes. The church - more specifically, the Order of the Contemplative Mind - is responsible for the deaths of my parents, who had done absolutely nothing to deserve it. When he mentions the Order, a sneer comes to his mouth, although it's difficult to notice the difference between that and his regular expression.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »
"My lady, underneath it all you are as rare and as genuine as they come. It'd do me honor to come to understand you some more." the man says with a slight bow.

Addressing the rest, "Since we are in providing polite introductions it is only fitting and proper I herald my self as well. I am Baron-Minster Dolus of Wiltshire. Yes, both a noblemen and a member of the clergy. I should say previous member for while my priest loved me. Bishop Tooli feared my *ahem* Duality. So my existence was accused of blasphemy and I was burned before even the next sun up."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
"Brighid mac Cumhail. Despite the name, I do believe that the King is... was? A cousin? An uncle? The relationship... is not something I remember well. I do know that even before I left to do what good I can, I was not spoken of. It would be... problematic for their relationship to the church," the clearly magical girl said, confident her weapons were in fine repair and allowing them to return to wherever they actually came from, "I was burned for witchcraft, though I did naught but protect those who could not rely on their lords to supply help in time. And yet, I do not feel that my abilities even have the same origin as such arts..."

"As I await our benefactor's return for appropriate attire, I shall take you up on your offer, Lord Dolus."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
When the lights first came on to that grotesque scene, Xander immediately sank to his knees and vomited.  He has not spoken since his initial angry outburst at the mysterious figure.  But hearing the Baron-Minster's remark drives him to words again.  The balding, middle age man, still nude, and with more than a bit of a paunch spits on the ground before speaking with a rather blustery attitude, not unlike a politician. 
Bah, that story sounds familiar.  A member of the clergy, well verse-ed in doctrinal lore, cut down for a "crime" he didn't commit.  My name is Xander, formerly of the Order of the Sacred Scriptures.  I have studied the Lord's word all my life, and for the crime of asking honest questions about the nature of His divine gifts, I was branded a Heretic.  But I remember what I learned, oh yes, and I will not be silenced!

He gesticulates wildly, especially at the end of his speech, seemingly forgetting that he's still entirely naked. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.