Author Topic: Mob/Unit Template-Making groups of weak creatures threatening to players!  (Read 28729 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)

The zergs show that quantity has a quality of its own.

Intro
Well, as any D&D player may have noticed, it's really hard to make large number of small enemies threaten players once they start reaching higher levels.

It would be really cool if you could put your 10th level party against a hundred level 1 orc warriors, but the batle would be really one sided as the casters fly and drop nukes and the orcs can, at best, hit the party members on nat 20s, plus no sane DM wants to roll attacks, saves and iniatives for one hundred orcs, not to mention the models.

And the players wouldn't even get experience.

The good news is that DMG 2 gave us the mob template, which turns that group of commoners into actualy something dangerous.

The bad news is that, like everything else in DMG2, it kinda sucks. Ok, it's probably the best thing in the book, and the only reason any D&D player should bother reading it, but the template itself really could use some work. It's a great idea and so I decided to properly polish it.

So I present you:

Mob (template)
An angry mob represents a group of creatures that band together with a single destructive mentality. Like killing someone or taking down a city.

A mob is treated as a single entity similar to a swarm, except that it is made of larger creatures. A mob can be composed of Small, Medium, or Large creatures, but all the individual creatures must be of the same type. A mob that incorporates a crowd of goblins and a crowd of chokers is best modeled by two separate mobs.

“Mob” is an acquired template that can be added to any group of Small, Medium, or Large creatures who choose to form a mob. A mob uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Unless noted otherwise, all of the mob abilities are ex abilities.

Summarized version:
(click to show/hide)

Detailed version
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:54:47 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Mob/Unit Template-Making groups of weak creatures threatening to players!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
Led Mob (template)

This aspiring chaos champion knows well that even with his power armor and genetic enanchments, a wall of weak traitor guardsmen is still a valuable asset.

Some mobs form up spontaneously, each individual following the other whitout anyone being really in control, and just trampling over whatever they feel like.

Other mobs aren't as random. Specialy charismatic and/or brutal individuals may manage to gather a group of weaker minded individuals around them, and then use them as a blunt tool.

Altough still unable to perform sophisticated actions, a Led Mob is considerably stronger when it has someone pointing it where to go.
Unless where otherwise noted, a Led Mob works exactly as a regular Mob

Creation: Anyone wanting to become the center of a Led Mob (therefore refered as the Leader), must
(click to show/hide)
Hands free: The Leader decides the actions of the Led Mob as a free action each turn, allowing him to use his own actions to his own devices. The only limitation is that the Leader counts as having spent a move action if the Led Mob also moves. The Leader cannot make Aoos, but it can attack anyone in reach of the Led Mob.

Above all others: The Led Mob protects the Leader at all costs, puting themselves between him and incoming attacks. The Leader counts as having total cover and cannot be targeted by any means, but is still being able to observe his surroundings and target other creatures.

If an attack roll against a mob results on a natural 20, the attacker may choose to attack the enemy Leader instead of the Led Mob. Roll again, but this time agains the Leader statistics. If the attacker has any kind of precision damage dices like sneack attack, it needs only to roll 20-X, where X is the number of precision dice they have. So for example a 19th rogue with 10 sneack attack dice would only need to roll 10-20 to be able to target the leader. Conditions for the precision dice to work must be met (normaly Mob flatfooted). The Leader himself never takes the extra precision damage, is just easier to target.

If the Led mob gets hit by area attacks, the Leader only takes damage if the Led Mob rolls a natural 1 on the save.

If an enemy is inside the mob, it may attack the Leader in melee with a 50% miss chance. If the attack misses due to this, it hits the Led Mob instead.

Leadership: By not performing any other actions that would demand speaking, the leader may shout orders, advice and/or threats at the mass around him to make them fight better. In this case the mob adds the leader best mental stat bonus modifier to all saves, DCs, attacks, skill checks, ability checks and damage rolls (multiply by the BAB factor).

Momentum: If the Leader dies or willingly leaves the Led Mob, it reverts back to a normal Mob, and the Leader must again meet the pre-requisites of creating the Led Mob if he wants to join them again.

CR: Same as the base Mob+Leader's CRs (minimum +1 of the highest between them).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:23:46 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
Unit(template)

Even squishy elves become a threat when properly organized

Trough training and careful coordination, a unit allows for the whole to be greater than the sum of the part. On the other hand, a single weak member may easily cripple or destroy the unit from inside, meaning that quality is as important as quantity when choosing its members.

Creation:
(click to show/hide)

Unless otherwise noted, a unit works as a mob

HP: As a mob, but add any HD gained from levels from the members as well. So for example a mob of ten lv5 human fighters would have 50 HD.

Abilities: A unit retains it's mental ability scores. If its members have different mental scores, use the lowest ones.

Speed: As the slowest creature on the unit. The members of a unit are trained to march in synchronization.

BAB: Use the lowest among the members of the unit.

Saves: Use the lowest among members of the unit.

Discipline: A unit gains a bonus on its saves, AC, skills, Trample damage, Mob up damage (before multiplying) and ability checks equal to its size modifier(+4 for large, +8 for huge, ect)

Unit Anatomy: Unlike a mob, a unit is vulnerable to critical hits and precision damage as it's strength comes from it's careful formation. Otherwise this works exactly as Mob Anatomy.

Wall of bodies: A unit keeps a tight cohesive formation, meaning it can choose to stop other creatures from moving inside it.

Wall of blades: A unit deals mob up damage to all creatures within it's reach at the end of each of it's turns. In addition, a Unit with reach weapons (like spears or pole arms) always threaten both the adjacent squares and reach squares.

Tactics: A unit may use activated abilities from it's members, as long as they coordinate themselves carefully.

As a swift action one member of the unit may use an activated ability it possesses. Others may help, up the following maximum number:
large: 2 combined members.
huge: 3 combined members.
gargantuan: 4 combined members.
colossal: 6 combined members.

For each extra member beyond the first, the ability counts as being two level higher for all levels purposes and its DCs increase by 2 as well. So 3 lv5 wizards with 16 int each casting fireball at the same time from inside an unit would cast a single fireball dealing 9d6 damage counting as CL9 and with a DC of 10+3+3+2+2=20

CR:
Large:5, or +4 if the creature with more HD on the unit has CR 2 or higher.
Huge:7, or +4  if the creature with more HD on the unit has CR is 4 or higher.
Gargantuan:10, or +4  if the creature with more HD on the unit has CR 7 or higher.
Colossal:14,  or +4 if the creature with more HD on the unit has CR 11 or higher.

Led Unit (template)

This undead army became much fiercer once it had an undead general to command it.

Putting a talented leader into the middle of a unit makes for the ultimate formation. This individual inspires and commands it's subordinate in battle.

Creation:
(click to show/hide)

Otherwise a led unit works exactly as a led mob, plus it gains the following extra abilities:

Command: Leading an unit is no easy task. At the beginning of each turn the leader must make a skill check (which skill dependant of the DM) with a DC of 10+unit's CR+1 per each 10% missing HP from the Unit:

Fail- Neither the led unit nor the leader may take no actions this turn.
Succeed- the led unit may act as normal but the leader can't take any actions except the leadership ability.
Succeed by 5 or more- as above, but the leader can take a partial action.
Succeed by 10 or more- as above, but the leader can take actions normally.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:24:45 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
Unit Feat Conversion

Several feats warriors usually take suddenly become useless when in a mob or unit, but the later can put them to good use.

Wedge Formation (Power attack): the Unit points all his members towards a single point to inflict maximum damage on a target, but they let themselves vulnerable to an attack from other oponents. As a fullround action, the unit performs a charge as per the normal rules (including taking a -2 penalty to AC), except at the end the Mob Up damage it deals is multiplied on the following manner (don't apply the normaly multiplier):

1/2 BAB:multiply by 2
3/4 BAB: multiply by 3
Full BAB:multiply by 4

In adition, if you use Wedge Formation on another Unit or Mob, you may atempt a bullrush atempth as a free action. If you suceed, the other Mob/Unit is split in two, each with half it's members, separated by a distance equal to your Unit's face (so a Large Unit would leave beind a 10-foot separation). If it was a led Mob/Unit, the leader remains on an half of his choice. You may then continue to move up to your max Charge range. The split mobs/units may join again by spending both a fullround action to get togheter.

Turtle Formation(Tower Shield Proficiency): This formation demands all the members to be equiped with tower shields and be proefecient with them. As an immediate action, the members of the Unit may raise their shields togheter to gain total cover from any and all ranged attacks, including magic ones, untill the start of their next turn, but all their movement speeds are reduced by half for 1 round.

Iron Wall (combat reflexes): The Unit's weapons create a dangerous barrier. Oponents hit by their attacks of oportunity have all their speeds reduced by half for 1 round.

Spread Up (combat expertise): The Unit's discipline allows it to spread out it's members whitout sacrificing any power. It may, as a swift action, become one size larger, gaining all the apropriate bonus and penalties, or return to normal (ability scores and natural armor always remain the same tough).

Leader Feat Conversion

In a similar way that an Unit can give new use to old feats, so do Leaders can apply their expertise to their forces

Combat blessing (recquires Combat Casting):When beings band togheter a special bond if formed between them. You can infuse that bond with magic. If you cast a spell while leading a mob/unit, you may have it affect all its members, including buffs to equipment such as magic weapon and greater magic vestment. If you leave the mob/unit or it disperses, the spell ends.

Warlord (recquires weapon focus and specialization in the same weapon): You show your men how it's done. If the Unit/mob you're leading now is using the same weapon you have Focus and specialization in, increase their damage multiplier by 1.

Glory in Battle (recquires Improved Critical): Whenever you threaten a critical hit with the weapon you have Improved Critical with, you do it in a spectacular way, filling your forces with bloodlust. They gain +1 moral bonus on Saves and damage rolls for every 2 HD of the target you were attacking (if a mob was damaged, use the HD of it's weakest member), for 1 round. Minimum +1 morale bonus.

Fighter Leaders: A  Fighter 3 may grant one of his feats to all it's Unit/Mob members for as long as he leads them. For every two extra Fighter levels he has, he may grant one extra feat.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:19:56 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Agrippa

• I'm not quite sure what to say.
    • View Profile
I really like the mob rules revision you made, oslecamo, even though I've never seen the original DMG II rules. I'll use them as soon as I get the chance. Though I do have one problem with your thread. What I'm talking about is a lack of proper spacing. By the way, why don't make a PDF of these templates?

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Sorta wonder what a special attack mob should look like. A Unit of warlocks/dragonfire adepts would be a sight to see.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
I really like the mob rules revision you made, oslecamo, even though I've never seen the original DMG II rules. I'll use them as soon as I get the chance. Though I do have one problem with your thread. What I'm talking about is a lack of proper spacing. By the way, why don't make a PDF of these templates?

Thanks! However formating isn't exactly my strong point, and free time is a precious commodity nowadays. You're however free to clean it up and I'll post it.

As for pdfs, you're the first person asking for it honestly. You really think people would want it?

Sorta wonder what a special attack mob should look like. A Unit of warlocks/dragonfire adepts would be a sight to see.
Yes, it would. Guess I'll get that draft lingering on my notes finished sometime this weekend! :P

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Supernatural Mob

They may be mooks, but they're mooks with lasers!

Normally the members of a mob just mindlessly trample and hack at whatever's in range, completely disregarding their own abilities. However when the mob is composed of individuals with similar supernatural abilities, it's possible for them channel them even in the midst of chaos, spreading even greater destruction all around.

“Supernatural Mob” is an acquired template that can be added to any group of Small, Medium, or Large creatures, all of which have an equal Su ability that works at range and who chooses to form a mob.

Unless otherwise noticed, a Supernatural Mob works exactly as a normal Mob.

Laser Storm: The members of a Supernatural Mob go around shooting eldritch blasts or unleashing energy breaths over anyone who gets close. The Supernatural Mob may use a supernatural ranged attack (either area or demanding an attack roll) they all share against any enemy who comes inside range as a free action even if it isn't their turns, as if used by one of its members. Ignore “cool downs”. No creature may be affected by Laser Storm more than 1/round.

Laser Up: Anyone who finds himself a Supernatural Mob finds themselves under a merciless barrage of blasts. At the end of each of its turns, instead of Mob Up damage, the Supernatural Mob may unleash a supernatural ranged attack (either area or demanding an attack roll) they all share against any enemies inside it. For every size category the supernatural mob is bigger than medium, they gain a +3 bonus on any attack roll, increase any save DCs by 3 and count the ability as coming from a  being three levels higher than the mob members for damage purposes. So for example a mob of 8 warlocks 1 with 16 Cha all knowing Frightful Blast would deal 2d6 damage and force a DC 16 will save or become Shaken, and they would gain a +3 bonus on the to-hit roll. A mob of 30 warlocks 1 would deal 4d6 damage and force a DC 19 or become shaken and gain +6 to attack.

CR: As a normal mob composed of the same individuals +1.

A supernatural mob may be led as a normal mob.

Supernatural Unit

Just because you've sold your soul and heart to eldritch forces and want to destroy everything, doesn't mean you can't work with equally-minded individuals.

Even more fearsome than a supernatural Mob, the members of a supernatural Unit coordinate themselves to wreck maximum devastation with their special abilities.

“Supernatural Unit” is an acquired template that can be added to any group of Small, Medium, or Large creatures, all of which have an equal Su ability that works at range and who chooses to form a unit.

Unless otherwise noticed, a Supernatural Unit works exactly as a normal Unit.

Greater Laser Storm: The members of a Supernatural Unit loose disciplined volleys of eldritch blasts or  energy breaths over anyone who gets close. The Supernatural Mob may use a supernatural ranged attack (either area or demanding an attack roll) they all share against any enemy who comes inside range as a free action even if it isn't their turns, as if used by one of its members. Ignore “cool downs”. No creature may be affected by Greater Laser Storm more than 1/round. They gain a +4 bonus on any attack roll, increase any save DCs by 4 and count the ability as coming from a  being four levels higher than the unit members for damage purposes.

Greater Laser Up: Anyone who finds himself a Supernatural Unit finds themselves under a merciless barrage of blasts. At the end of each of its turns, instead of Mob Up damage, the Supernatural Unit may unleash a supernatural ranged attack (either area or demanding an attack roll) they all share against any enemies inside it. For every size category the supernatural unit is bigger than medium, they gain a +4 bonus on any attack roll, increase any save DCs by 4 and count the ability as coming from a  being four levels higher than the unit members for damage purposes.

Wall of Lasers: Instead of using Wall of Blades, a supernatural unit can deals laser up damage to all creatures within its reach at the end of each of its turns.

Focused Laser Barrage: As a full round action, all the members of a Supernatural unit may use their powers at the same time targeting a single area, depending on the Supernatural unit size

Large- 5 radius circle.
Huge- 10 radius circle.
Gargantuan- 20 radius circle.
Colossal- 40 radius circle.

The range is the same as the base ability. For every size category the supernatural mob is bigger than medium, they gain a +4 bonus on any attack roll, increase any save DCs by 4 and count the ability as coming from a  being four levels higher than the unit members for damage purposes, plus an extra +2 to all of those.

CR: As a normal unit composed of the same individuals +1.

A supernatural unit may be led as a regular unit.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:51:21 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Agrippa

• View Profile

Thanks! However formating isn't exactly my strong point, and free time is a precious commodity nowadays. You're however free to clean it up and I'll post it.

As for pdfs, you're the first person asking for it honestly. You really think people would want it?

I've already typed a cleaned up version of the basic mob template which I'll PM to you shortly. Though I'm not sure how many other people would want a PDF of this.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
That was a great help, thank you again!

So, no comments on the supernatural unit/mob since you're at it? :p

Offline Agrippa

• View Profile
That was a great help, thank you again!

So, no comments on the supernatural unit/mob since you're at it? :p

The super natural mob/units look pretty good too. But don't thank me yet, there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes I didn't catch while correcting the unit templates.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Tyring to use this on a goblin group, but keep beeing confused on some points. Especially the size mods and the BAB stuff.

A group of 12 goblin soldiers with shortswords +1 (1d6-1) and shortbows +3 (1d8)

Mob size: large
~100-120 HP
Ini +5(impr ini)
AC normal 17 / new: 16 (-1 size)
Grapple goblins have -1 Str +4 size mod = +3 grapple ?
Bab ? how do I know the Bab of a goblin? 0 or 1 I guess, no idea how it progresses.

Mob up: I dont really get how to calculate that. The goblins have 1 BAB I guess, so no multiply. but whats with the additional dmg HD? I dont understand that part at all.
One goblin does 1d6-1 ... so what does a large mob do and why?
I try it again: 1d6-1 > 1d8-1(large weapon)
adding +4str for large creature: 1d8+3 ? Or is it +8str as a goblin is small?
As its only 1 BAB no multiplyer.
Is that correct ??

What was that with the AC = DR ? So If I have 20AC, the mob has to be able to do more than 20 dmg to actually hurt me, right ?

Volley: Same problem here.
A bow for small creatures does 1d4, for large 1d8 damage.
how does the "large" staturs affect the Dex or something for the bows calculation?

Dying goblins: Lets say the mob is hit by a fireball, usually most of them would be inst. dead. Does this affect the mob somehow or does he fight like normal till the end?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:53:41 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Tyring to use this on a goblin group, but keep beeing confused on some points. Especially the size mods and the BAB stuff.

A group of 12 goblin soldiers with shortswords +1 (1d6-1) and shortbows +3 (1d8)

Mob size: large
~100-120 HP
Ini +5(impr ini)
AC normal 17 / new: 16 (-1 size)
Grapple goblins have -1 Str +4 size mod = +3 grapple ?
Bab ? how do I know the Bab of a goblin? 0 or 1 I guess, no idea how it progresses.
Depends on what levels they are. Goblins don't have an HD by themselves, they're a "base" race. If you check the srd entry, you can see it actually says Goblin, 1st-Level Warrior, the NPC class. Which happens to give him Bab +1.

Mob up: I dont really get how to calculate that. The goblins have 1 BAB I guess, so no multiply. but whats with the additional dmg HD? I dont understand that part at all.
One goblin does 1d6-1 ... so what does a large mob do and why?
I try it again: 1d6-1 > 1d8-1(large weapon)
adding +4str for large creature: 1d8+3 ? Or is it +8str as a goblin is small?
As its only 1 BAB no multiplyer.
Is that correct ??
Here, let me explain with more detail:
-When I mention 1/2, 3/4 and Full bab, I mean the progression. So for example a wizard has 1/2 Bab because he only gains Bab every other level. The rogue has 3/4 Bab because he gains Bab every 3 levels in four. The fighter has Full Bab because he gains Bab every level. So if those are goblin warrior/fighter/barbarian or other class with Full bab, you multiply by 3.
-Goblins are small creatures base, so they get two size increases 1d6->1d8->2d6.
-Their ability scores don't change with size unless it's specifically monster advancment (otherwise Enlarge Person would be the supreme 1st level buff).

What was that with the AC = DR ? So If I have 20AC, the mob has to be able to do more than 20 dmg to actually hurt me, right ?
No, only your Armor and Shield bonus to AC count for your DR. So if you have a breastplate (+5 Armor bonus) and a Large Steel shield (+2 Shield bonus) you get DR 7 against the mob attacks. Don't count other bonus to AC.

Volley: Same problem here.
A bow for small creatures does 1d4, for large 1d8 damage.
how does the "large" staturs affect the Dex or something for the bows calculation?
It doesn't, again the ability scores don't change. Otherwise it follows the same calculations as the Mob Up damage.

Dying goblins: Lets say the mob is hit by a fireball, usually most of them would be inst. dead. Does this affect the mob somehow or does he fight like normal till the end?
In fluff terms, the goblins are so packed togheter that only the front ones get carbonized, and the others keep fighting like normal.

In crunch terms, yes they do keep fighting like normal until the mob HP drops to zero.

That's half the reason I created this template, since it's indeed extremely easy to wipe out mook groups with area spells and some other stuff. Notice however they do take +50% damage from area spells and double damage from melee attacks from enemies with cleave, so they're still more vulnerable to that kind of stuff that an actual single creature.

Notice that's pretty much how it works for swarms already.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Ah ok, thanks for the help. I will try once more to see if its all correct now:

Large Mob of 12 Goblin Warriors with 1d6-1 + Shortbows

HD: 12x10 ~100HP Large
Ini 5
Speed 10ft (original 20ft -10)
AC 16 / 11/ 15 - all clear so far

Attack: 1. Targets inside the mob auto hit + free action attack directly adj to the mob? endless Aoos 
Base weapon 1d6-1 (m) > 1d8 (large)> 2d6 (huge weapon)?
Full BAB so (2d6-1)x3 = 6d6-3 ? It that correct? Can a small goblin actually use swords/bows 1 size larger ?

Volley:1d6 (m) > 1d8 (large) = 2d6-1(huge)*3 = 6d6-3 ---- a gobblin can use a medium sword, can he use a medium bow too ?
only if no ungrappled enemy is inside the mob.
Ref DC : 10+ BAB(1) +Dex(1) =11 +range incr.(60ft)

Would be nice if you could tell me if this is correct.

A mob attack could look like this:
It moves in, passes a pc(provokes Aoo) (2d6 trample damage) and at the end of the turn does the mob up dmg.
If the pc wants to move out he gets and aoo every time he moves or one aoo from every adj. mob square ? that would be a little much.

Poisoned arrows would work the same as always I guess.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:05:12 AM by Dwarfi »

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
What's that Sith photo from?

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
If the pc wants to move out he gets and aoo every time he moves or one aoo from every adj. mob square ? that would be a little much.
One action can only provoke once from a given creature(and the mob is counted as one creature here). So however many threatened squares you move through you only get one.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Ah ok, thanks for the help. I will try once more to see if its all correct now:

Large Mob of 12 Goblin Warriors with 1d6-1 + Shortbows

HD: 12x10 ~100HP Large
Ini 5
Speed 10ft (original 20ft -10)
AC 16 / 11/ 15 - all clear so far

Attack: 1. Targets inside the mob auto hit + free action attack directly adj to the mob? endless Aoos 
Only the Unit can attack adjacent oponents as a free action 1/round, a base Mob can only mash up adjacent objects.

Base weapon 1d6-1 (m) > 1d8 (large)> 2d6 (huge weapon)?
Full BAB so (2d6-1)x3 = 6d6-3 ? It that correct? Can a small goblin actually use swords/bows 1 size larger ?

Volley:1d6 (m) > 1d8 (large) = 2d6-1(huge)*3 = 6d6-3 ---- a gobblin can use a medium sword, can he use a medium bow too ?
only if no ungrappled enemy is inside the mob.
Ref DC : 10+ BAB(1) +Dex(1) =11 +range incr.(60ft)

Would be nice if you could tell me if this is correct.
They don't actually have huge weapons, it's simply an abstraction of being hit by a lot of small weapons at once. Otherwise your calculations are mostly correct. Just that 10+1+1=12. The save DC is reduced by 2 beyond the first range increment, just like a bow takes penalty to the shots if one tries to shoot beyond the first range increment.

A mob attack could look like this:
It moves in, passes a pc(provokes Aoo) (2d6 trample damage) and at the end of the turn does the mob up dmg.
Like Veekie said, you only get 1 aoo for an enemy moving inside your threatened area, regardless of how much you move.

Poisoned arrows would work the same as always I guess.
Yes. Now that's a nice touch for a mob I still hadn't tought of! :p

What's that Sith photo from?
No idea to be honest, just something I randomly found in the web. :P

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Thats the sith intro from Star Wars - the old republic - Its pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et5dzRpzMcw

And thanks for the help again. I think now everything should be more or less clear. Also that I am still a little confused, why a regular goblin soldier can use a medium sized weapon to begin with.
Even in the book he has a 1d6 and not a 1d4 shortsword. 

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
They're not using medium weapons, they're using small weapons that deal 1d6 damage. A longsword/morningstar/longbow for example all deal 1d6 when on small size and 1d8 when in medium size.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
My bad, the source I checked was wrong ^^ Should have looked in the book instead.

I prepared some different mob groups, a colossal goblin mob of 200 goblins is the biggest.
Must have around 200*10 HD ~1500-2000 HP ? Thats a lot.
A really low AC
For goblins pretty good Grapple stats. -1 STR+4(L)+4(H)+4(G)+4(C) =15 Grapple
Attack (1d6-1) > 4d6-1 (colossal shortsword) *3 = 12d6-3 *ouch even with the Armor DR*
Volley: Same there, + a 20ft radius aoe volley (40ft diameter)

should be correct if I havent overread some max damage or stuff like that.
If I can keep a rough track of the HP, I can reduce the troop to garg. size if they lost enough HP.