Author Topic: Fallout 4 General  (Read 43695 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4 General
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 11:27:37 PM »
I don't know the plot yet because I'm too busy wandering around killing shit for the hell of it (and the plot drive's not really engaged me), but... you poor soul. Having to deal with a bunch of whiny shits that can't build a door without help, let alone fight off a mutated cabbage or make their own garden, for the sake of it? They all deserve to get shot to pieces, really.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
So, I have decided to side with the minutemen. I also found a mininuke but no launcher,so I may sell it.

There are mininuke launchers all over the place, if you keep an eye out. In fact, IIRC one of the raiders near the Corvega plant has a fat man and is wearing a suit of power armor. I recommend a stealth approach. :D
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 12:59:54 AM »
So, I have decided to side with the minutemen. I also found a mininuke but no launcher,so I may sell it.

There are mininuke launchers all over the place, if you keep an eye out. In fact, IIRC one of the raiders near the Corvega plant has a fat man and is wearing a suit of power armor. I recommend a stealth approach. :D

I'll do that sicne I'm on my way there

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »
I'm incredibly frustrated by the fact that it's impossible to remove a dead character from a set of Power Armor. 

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to sneak up on a Raider in Power Armor to try to pickpocket the Fusion Core to make her get out.  Ended up just using console commands to turn off her AI so she just stood there while I did it. 

I can't wait for someone to mod in this functionality.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
You can also snipe the fusion core, sort of like taking out the combat inhibitor on a protectron. If you do it right, the suit will eject it's core (which explodes) and then the wearer--leaving you free to grab the frame and any armor pieces that survived the explosion.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 02:38:44 AM »
You can also snipe the fusion core, sort of like taking out the combat inhibitor on a protectron. If you do it right, the suit will eject it's core (which explodes) and then the wearer--leaving you free to grab the frame and any armor pieces that survived the explosion.

Tried that the first few times.  Either the shot to the fusion core killed her, or the core blew up before she got out. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
no power armor or fat man:( but i did clear them all out and found a bobble-head

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »
no power armor or fat man:( but i did clear them all out and found a bobble-head

The guy with the power armour respawns and is in Lexington, not the Corvega Assembly Plant.

Bring spare ammo if you're running low. There's a stupid fuckton of ghouls in the place.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
Hence why I said "near" the Corvega plant. They're camped out in the high rises just in front of the factory. And yeah, stupid fuckton of ghouls, some of which will play dead and/or spawn behind you as you make your way through. VATS is your friend in that place. :tongue

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Or get a shotgun. Shotguns are uniquely suited to killing zombies ghouls because, really, effectively no protection and impossible to miss?

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »
Shotguns are slow though, which isn't good when you're getting swarmed by a horde of ferals. With my silenced 10mm I can cue up enough shots in VATS to drop a whole pack before they reach me, and won't tip off every other ghoul in the building by doing so.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »
That's using VATS. Strangely enough, that's not my general preference for close-range fights. :P

Plus, combat shotgun with decent mods is something of a ghoulslaying abomination. DOOM is a godsend.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:44:38 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
That's using VATS. Strangely enough, that's not my general preference for close-range fights. :P

Plus, combat shotgun with decent mods is something of a ghoulslaying abomination. DOOM is a godsend.

That does seem strange, given that close-range is where VATS is most effective and that ghouls have a tendency to craw in through windows/holes in the ceiling and surround you once you've engaged.

Also, shotguns are slower than pistols, period. Whether in VATS or out. Even the automatic shotguns I've found fire slower than a non-automatic 10mm. If you're trying to freehand it I could see the spread on a shotgun being helpful when you don't have time to line up a shot--but given that there's this handy button that instantly does that for you and slows time while doing so, I don't see the point. :P

Nah, where shotguns shine is burst damage. They're perfect for close-quarter sneak attacks against a single, really tough enemy. Just zip around a corner and dump a couple rounds of buckshot into the back of some poor bastard's head. Odds are there won't be much of a head left afterwards.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 11:13:06 PM »
The point being that VATS is boring as fuck and hands out the exciting parts of the game to, in most effect, the computer. Using it in melee? Sure, you're effective, but you're taking the most exciting part of the game and... letting the computer play it. It's effective, but without a human element... eh (and only in VATS is firerate so important, because in VATS you CAN'T DODGE). I mostly save it for midrange: where I want to take a shot (or queue a bunch up for crit fun) and scope/lack of scope issues occur. For short or long range...

To hell with that. Anything outside of sniping is DOOM: strafe, shoot, deal with it. Sniping is sniping and VATS is irrelevant.

Makes that fusion building (or at least the non-plot part) a LOT more fun. Sure, you can sneak around, be careful... or you can rush it from bottom to top and destroy everything with way too many bullets to the chest.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2016, 11:45:44 PM »
Only use VATS in dreadful life or death situations, can confirm, makes the game a lot more fun. Although, i'll  make a VATS only luck/agi build just for the story and to blast through the game for fun. It's coming.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2016, 01:39:40 AM »
Only use VATS in dreadful life or death situations, can confirm, makes the game a lot more fun. Although, i'll  make a VATS only luck/agi build just for the story and to blast through the game for fun. It's coming.

If you're a shooter fan, maybe. :tongue

Personally I've never enjoyed that kind of game, and only grudgingly tolerate Fallout's transition from a turn-based RPG to yet another FPS twitchfest. If it weren't for the addition of the settlement mechanics I'd have been seriously tempted to skip FO4 since they turned VATS into a glorified bullet-time mechanic.

[edit]

Well, it's been 4 days and 8.5 hours of play time, but I finally got the touchdown 'achievement.'

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:33:27 AM by MrWolfe »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
But I don't like modern FPS's yet DO like Fallout without VATS. What's that say, huh? :P

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »

Well, it's been 4 days and 8.5 hours of play time, but I finally got the touchdown 'achievement.'

I got that too while I was wondering around lexington...I bet that's why i didn't find a fatman.... :shakefist

EDIT: After dying a couple more times, I ended up snipping the rude raider so I got his power armor and his fatman and another mininuke. I also cleared the super duper mart.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:15:05 PM by trappedslider »

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »
But I don't like modern FPS's yet DO like Fallout without VATS. What's that say, huh? :P

Dunno, that the boring-ass generic military setting is what turns you off from the others, rather than the mechanics?

I got that too while I was wondering around lexington...I bet that's why i didn't find a fatman.... :shakefist

EDIT: After dying a couple more times, I ended up snipping the rude raider so I got his power armor and his fatman and another mininuke. I also cleared the super duper mart.

Yeah, shit like that is why I usually travel in sneak mode in towns and tap the VATS button regularly to ping for enemies.

By the way, have you noticed that mines disappear after they go off--even if you reload to an earlier save? Kind of an odd bug but it happens pretty consistently.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »

Yeah, shit like that is why I usually travel in sneak mode in towns and tap the VATS button regularly to ping for enemies.

I've been using VATS to alert me to ghouls who are sleeping and such