Author Topic: Expanding Frozen Wild Shape with Mantle of the Icy Soul?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Expanding Frozen Wild Shape with Mantle of the Icy Soul?
« on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:52 AM »
Frostburn has both Forzen Wild Shape (allowing forms of Magical Beasts with the Cold subtype), and mantle of the icy soul (granting a creature the cold subtype, though it's been reprinted in SpC).

Though you can't become a templated creature with alternate form, could you still use Frozen WS to become an icy souled blink dog, for example? Or is this too 'permissive' of a reading?
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Frozen Wild Shape with Mantle of the Icy Soul?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »
I suspect it wouldn't work for the same reason you can't wild shape into a Bull's Strengthed, Cat's Graced, Divine Powered, Righteous Mighted, Draconic Polymorphed-into-a-Balor, Mind Blanked bear.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Frozen Wild Shape with Mantle of the Icy Soul?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:58:45 AM »
*sigh* Yeah, I guess so. Even if the (instantaneous) Frostburn version of the spell were used, it'd the akin to wild shaping into a flesh to stoned bear.

Last ditch try though; the feat calls out the type (magical beast) and subtype (cold). The method that the creature got the subtype seems to be immaterial. That non-templated versions of the creatures exist with that subtype ought to allow their forms to be taken.

However, that reasoning would also allow standard wild shaping into balors polymorphed into animals... but the wild shaper would only get the animal's phys stats and extraordinary special attacks, because while the balor retains Su and Sp abils, the shaper doesn't get them. So just like wild shaping into an animal. Class abilities wouldn't be up for grabs, as you retain your own mind using wild shape. This would, however permit Assume Supernatural Ability to snag an ability of a polymorphed creature. So a Snake-Blooded druid 15 could wild-shape into a sarrukh polymorphed into a bear, then use ASA...
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew