Author Topic: Prologue: Bad Moon Rising  (Read 22353 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue: Bad Moon Rising
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Benedict follows Ironfist over to a rack piled high with a jumble of metal and wires. A few fruitless minutes of searching go by before he straightens up, holding a slightly dented piece of machinery. "Will this do? Looks like an older model, but I think it would fit."
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
Ironfist looks at it and snorts in derision.  "I'd rather not work with that, but it might be the best we can do."  He continues to look through the parts hoping for a better aft alternator, and also still on the lookout for a compression coil.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
Noa signaled to Nigel's evidently unconscious body -- "Too much to eat, maybe? You support his left side, and I'll get the right," she said. "You know, I once heard a very funny story that went something like this, about a man named Bernie." And with that, they went to meet Heironymous.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline jthurley

• Lurker
  • Become a Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 12:00:39 AM »
"I'm not dead. Just still allergic to beef. Don't forget to tip."

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
Noa quickly dropped Nigel's right shoulder and used her now-free hand to wave. "Hello, Heironymous, well met."
- The More You Know

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »
(Group A)
You leave the din of the marketplace behind as you head up the elevator bringing you to the administrative offices. Stepping off the platform, you notice that you have escaped most of the dinginess and grime from the lower levels, though you wouldn't necessarily describe your surroundings as clean. You reach an office at the end of the corridor with two large, wooden double-doors- a rarity in most space stations to be sure.

As you enter the room, you can see that you have arrived in a sort of waiting room, complete with receptionist. The woman behind the desk is fairly petite, and is clearly human. Though she seems well-dressed and professional, the way most receptionists you remember seeing do, she also seems to possess an extensive collection of elaborate tattoos, which just peak out from underneath her outfit. Her apparently long hair is tied up tight in a bun atop her head.

She looks the group of you up and down with a derisive glare, and asks "Do you... have an appointment?"

(Group B)
Boris allows you to sift through the parts for a while, but before too long he says "Tsk, you will not find what you are looking for in those heaps. Allow me to show for you special selection." This last part he says in an overly drawn-out way, as though what her referred to were secret or perhaps not entirely legal goods.

He draws back a curtain at the back wall of the shop, and beckons you inside. He looks around cautiously, then extracts a small key from his vest pocket. He sticks it in the lock on the metal-slatted gate, unlocks it, and pulls the shutter up. This secret room is virtually clutter free, and feels huge compared to his regular shop. There are a few tables with goods laid out, but most of the space is taken up by large creates and chests. Boris leads you to one crate in particular, then eases the side off of it. A brand new set of spaceship alternators rests inside, and they are impressive-looking. They seem to be the correct size for the Eclipse, each one easily dwarfing the already stout Boris; most of the others from the front-store would have taken a good bit of jury-rigging to make work, given the odd sizing of the units along with their components.

"Is beautiful, yes? These typically run twenty-thousand credits, but I can let one go for fifteen."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »
"I'm sorry, you're not Heironymous at all. Obviously. He had manners. We're here to see him, from the Eclipse. Run and tell him, please?" Noa said, adding "Bitch" under her breath. "I could have sworn his office was right here at the top of the elevator. Our trip wasn't long enough for a remodel, was it?"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:57:10 AM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
Ironfist examines the alternators appreciatively.  He then turns to Boris and speaks plainly.  "These are nice Boris, much nicer than I normally see you sell.  Why so expensive?  How illegal are they old friend?"

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:33 AM »
(Group A)
The receptionist glares at Noa as she twiddles a pen between her fingers. She picks up a receiver with her free hand and pushes a button in with the pen, then says, "Sir, did you order a prostitute today? No? Oh, then this must be your 2:30. Yes. Yes. No. Alright."

The woman puts the receiver back on its base, and looks back at Noa. "You may see him now." Rather than get up to show you the door, she just points at it with her pen.

(click to show/hide)

(Group B)
Boris gives a *tsk* and says, "Is legitimate asking price for something so hard to get hold of! What do you take me for, some scoundrel? This is top-grade, best of best. I only sell this to friends, people Boris can trust. Besides, what does legality mean out in Fringe? Even in Federation space, military rarely check engine room. Now, if you are not interested, I know others who are. There is waiting list, even!"

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 05:09:07 AM »
River shakes her head. "Human females can be so annoying...no offense, Captain." she says as she lets Noa lead the way.
Hmm.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
"Do you think I carry a gun for show, lapdog?" Noa spat at the secretary, bringing her gun briefly level with the woman's head. She rocked it back against her shoulder and mouthed, "Crack" before resting it at her side. She walked toward the door and paused. "You never stop missing murder, you know, and they usually don't make it feel so good on a personal level."

She turned the knob and tightened the grip on her rifle.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:36:04 PM by Childe »
- The More You Know

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
(Group A)
The secretary only smirks as she presses another button on her desk, and a mild electric shock runs through the metal doorknob. It's not powerful enough to hurt Noa, only enough to disorient her for a moment. "That was a One. It goes to Twenty. And don't think that's where the fun stops in this office. Enjoy your meeting with Mr. Rosso."

It's becoming pretty clear that not everything is so simple as it seemed when you first took the job. The receptionist is still bitchy, but the move in office, with all upgrades considered, leaves the impression that things have changed around here.

As you try the handle again, finding it free of electric current, you open into a fairly large office. The walls are lined with bookshelves, tables, and chests, filled with books and boxes and other sundries. One wall is embedded with a viewscreen, currently showing a map of the galaxy. Certain points seem highlighted with little blue rings, but as you enter, Hieronymus Rosso beckons you closer. He presses a button on his desk and the screen changes to match the walls. Being so small himself, it's a wonder that he could need such a large office, but here it is.

"Please, let's dispense with formalities. I assume everything went well with the delivery?"

Offline jthurley

• Lurker
  • Become a Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
Nigel quietly stumbles outside the office and slumps against a wall, fumbling in his jacket pocket for a small bottle of blue pills, which he desperately takes 2 of.

Stealth roll:
Rolled 1d20+6 : 12 + 6, total 18

Subterfuge roll:
Rolled 1d20 : 15, total 15

Offline jthurley

• Lurker
  • Become a Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:57 PM »
(Error correction: Nigel has a +2 to larceny from his dex, so that should be a 17. Also, I erroneously referred to larceny as subterfuge in the above post.)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Ironfist examines the alternators more closely as he says, "We need a compression coil as well."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Benedict's eyes flick over the alternator briefly before he breaks into a smile. "Oh, not just a military engine room." He reaches out and taps the metal on a side plate, indicating a small trio of faintly discolored spots. "All Federation intelligence operatives have their equipment tagged for retrieval or remote destruction in case it's lost, and their ships are no exception. This was where you took out the blackbox, yes? Very well done, not triggering the thermite charge. Flagrantly, flagrantly illegal, of course, but a very neat job all the same. Your customers must be very rich indeed. I'm surprised you haven't retired by now."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:22:11 PM by Bozwevial »
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
(Group A)
(click to show/hide)

(Group B)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »
She didn't move out of the doorway, but she kept a short distance between herself and the door.

"It did. I'm pleased to say that. Now, how attached are you to your receptionist?" Noa said, pointing her gun behind her where the secretary was sitting. "I didn't sign this crew up to be yanked around by uppity answering machines. Whatever our job, we do it, and well. With the corner of her eye, she lined up her shot to the secretary's forehead. Truth be told, Noa had a bit of a temper. Nobody there could say if that was something new since whatever had happened to bring her aboard the Eclipse - she hadn't spoken in great detail about it - or an old trait.

Then she laughed. Her hand remained firm on her gun, but her torso relaxed, sinking slightly, and a grin reached across her cheeks to her eyes, which carried a glint - wildly cheerful, or sharp. A sniper was used to making just one introduction. Her laughter diminished, and her mouth fell to a comfortable, thin smile.
- The More You Know

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
River wouldn't have minded if Noa had shot the secretary dead on the spot, but gnomes had a penchant for cleanliness and humans had a surprising amount of blood of them. It certainly would not help negotiations.
"Well, theatrics aside, you know why we're here."
Hmm.