Author Topic: (under construction, please wait) my second attempt at monk  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
Abilities: Wisdom is the key ability for a monk, responsible for vast majority of his special powers. Consitutution is also important, as it is for all classes that fight in close combat. Many monks also have high dexterity.

Races: Any, although savage humanoids are rare.

Alignment: While the monastic lifestyle can attract people of all personality types, the powers of a monk come either from iron discipline or enlightened madness. A monk can be of any alignment, but some of his high level abilities require him to be either chaotic or lawful.

Hit die: D10

Class Skills
The monk’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (martial lore) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill points per level: 6+int modifier (x4 on first level)

And here will be a table once I learn how to make one. For now, 2/3 BAB, all good saves, speed, damage and flurry as in core.

Class features:
All of the below are class features of monk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shortspear, shortsword, shuriken, siangham, sling and unarmed strike.

Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields: A monk that is wearing armour or carrying medium or heavy load loses access to fast movement, flurry of blows, enlightened coordination and his monk's defence bonus to AC.

Monk's defence:(ex) As long as he is unarmoured and unencumbered (see above), a monk gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to his wisdom modifier (if positive). He keeps it when flat-footed, but not when helpless or immobilised. The bonus increases by +1 on 4th level and every 4th level thereafter.

Monk's strike: A monk has Improved Unarmed Strike. In addition, his unarmed damage increases with levels, as shown on the table above. Monk's strike gains extra abilities at higher levels.

Flurry of blows:(ex) when making a full attack unarmed or with monk's weapons, a monk can take a -2 penalty to hit in exchange for an extra attack at the highest attack bonus. When he uses flurry, all his attacks use x1 strength modifier and the attacks can be any combination of monk weapon and unarmed strikes. If he is using two monk weapons or a double monk wepon, he can accept both penalties and use all the extra attacks. The flurry penalty decreases at level 5 and disappears at level 9. At level 11 a monk gains a second bonus attack from flurry.

Fast movement:(ex) At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.

Stunning fist: At 1st level a monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Uncanny Dodge: At 2nd level a monk gains Uncanny Dodge, or Improved Uncanny Dodge if he already has Uncanny Dodge from another source.

Evasion: At 3rd level a monk gains Evasion

Martial focus: Starting from 4th level, when fighting unarmed or with monk weapons, a monk can apply strength of dexterity (whichever is higher) to attack rolls, and strength or wisdom (whichever is higher) to damage rolls. He is treated as having Finesse for the purpose of qualifying for feats.

Ki strike: Starting at level 5, monk's strike attacks count as magical

Purity of body:(ex) At 6th level, a monk becomes immune to non-magical diseases.

Soft landing:(ex) At 7th level, whenever a monk falls, he treats any distance fallen as half that for the purpose of checking for damage. This ability works as long as he is conscious.

Mind over matter:(ex) Starting from 8th level, a monk can expend one daily use of Stunning Fist as a free action to gain damage reduction / lawful (if chaotic) or damage reduction / chaotic (if lawful) and elemental resistances equal to his wisdom bonus +1, for five minutes.

Enlightened coordination:(ex) Starting from 8th level a monk can take 10 on climb, balance, tumble and move silently checks, even when rushed or threatened This ability requires the monk to be unarmoured and unencumbered.

Wholeness of body(su): Starting from level 9, a monk can heal himself as a standard action. He can heal himself for up to double his full HP a day, divided as he likes.

Aligned strike: Starting from level 10, monk's strike counts as lawful for lawful monks and as chaotic for chaotic monks.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At level 11 a monk gains Improved Uncanny Dodge, or a bonus feat if he already has it.

Walk the clouds:(su) At level 11 a monk gains the benefits of feather fall (self only). He also no longer triggers weight-activated traps (including natural hazards, such as quicksand) can move unhindered over snow or swampy terrain and always counts as having a running start for the purpose of jump checks.

Diamond body (su): At level 12 a monk becomes immune to all poisones. He can also ignore sickened effects and is merely sickened when he would be nauseated.

Flash step:su Starting from level 13, when making a 5 foot step, a monk can expand a daily use of Stunning Fist to move a number of squares equal to his wisdom bonus instead. He can move over obstacles or through squares taken by other creatures, as long as they don't block the path completely (a closed door, a square taken by a gelatinous cube, etc.) A monk also gains 3 extra uses of Stunning Fist per day.

Rapid Stunning: At level 14 a monk gains Rapid Stunning as a bonus feat, or a different bonus feat if he already has it.

Enlightened strike:(ex) Starting from level 15, as long as a monk maintains a positive wisdom modifier, his monk's strike is treated as force damage. (A monk can supress this ability at will)

Empty Body:(su) At level 16 a monk can become aetheral for a number of rounds per day equal to his monk level. The power is activated as a swift action and the duration can be divided as he likes.

Tongue of sun and moon:(su) at level 16 a monk can unerstand and be understood by any creature that has a language.

Abundant step:(su) At level 17 a monk can use dimension door (self and light load only) with caster level equal to his monk level, a number of times per deay equal to his wisdom modifier.

Timeless body: Starting from level 18, a monk gains immunity to magical aging. He also no longer suffers aging penalties to attributes, although he still dies when his time is up.

Ride the clouds:(su) At level 19 a monk can travel for up to 1 hour per monk level a day as if with a Wind Walk spell, except it only takes him a full-round action to change his state. He can take 1 other person with him, but they have to keep touching each other or the passanger will start descending 60 feet per round, coalescing on the ground or after 10 rounds, whichever comes first.

True Enlightment. At level 20 a monk becomes immune to fear, charm and compulsion effects. His Mind Over Matter becomes a permanent rather than activated ability, increasing to 10 of both DR and elemental resistances (unless his wisdom bonus is actually higher). Finally, he is never surprised.

----

FEATS

Strike of the Monkey King
Requirements: Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (quarterstaff)
Benefit: When wielding a quarterstaff, a character can expend one daily use of Stunning Fist as a swift action, to extend the effective reach of his weapon by 5 feet until the begginning of his next turn. (this does not count against his number of stunning attacks for that round)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:26:17 AM by Braininthejar »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
Re: (under construction, please wait) my second attempt at monk
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
*Still under construction, bumping it so I don't lose it*

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »
I notice he has Martial Lore.  WIll this be an Initiator Class?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
No... I think I added it for the purpose of multiclassing.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
I recommend adding Unarmed Strike to the list of weapon proficiencies.  IUS doesn't provide it.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »
Added. Now, I have some more ideas for it, mainly feats to go with it, but before I write any of those up, I'll need the class itself done - could I get your feedback on what is already here? I'd like to have everything as I want it to be before I make the stats/abilities table, so I don't need to do it twice.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
Martial Focus has a small typo "strength of dexterity "

What kind of Action is Flash Step?

Is ENlightened Strike switchable as a Free Action?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:34:29 AM »
What prevents MAD (namely the need for Str to hit or deal damage)?  You already have Wis, Con, and Dex.
Mudada.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
What kind of Action is Flash Step?

It's not an action - it modifies how the character's free 5 foot step works. Should I clarify that it only applies to the free 5 foot step?

Is Enlightened Strike switchable as a Free Action?

Yes. whenever he strikes someone he can choose to do force damage of regular damage

What prevents MAD (namely the need for Str to hit or deal damage)?  You already have Wis, Con, and Dex.

Which is one stat less than the default handbook monk. For monk it is very hard to avoid MAD, because it is kind of written into his job description - a wizard can be a clumsy wimp and still very much a wizard, as long as he has high Int. But a monk is someone who seeks self-perfection.

Offline Andion Isurand

• Lurker
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • View Profile
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Hombrew Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:10 PM »
How about an ability similar to the Factotum's Brawn over Brains ability... and make an ability called Mastery of Self in place of Enlightened Coordination?

Mastery of Self (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, a monk gains his Wisdom bonus (if any, to a maximum equal to his class level) as a modifier on Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and checks involving skills based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Hide, Climb, and Jump.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 05:03:12 AM »
Hmm... I was thinking of adding such things as feats dedicated for the class.

Offline Andion Isurand

• Lurker
  • An Anomaly of The Art
    • View Profile
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Hombrew Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »
Here's some abilities that I've dabbled with that can scale and grow with class level, if they something you want to adopt along side or in place of some things you already have.

Lighter Landing (Ex): A monk gains a bonus on Tumble checks equal to five times his class level to reduce the damage taken from a fall.

Measured Breath (Ex): A monk adds his class level to the number of rounds he can hold his breath before saving against the threat of drowning or suffocation. He also adds an equal bonus on saves against altitude sickness.

Purity of Body (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a monk gains a bonus equal to half his class level (rounded down), on saves against disease and poison.

Energy Tolerance (Ex): A monk of at least 4th level gains a resistance value of 1 against a chosen energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire and sonic). For every 4 additional class levels gained (up to 20 total class levels), a monk gains a resistance value of 1 against an additional energy type, while their resistance values against all previously chosen energy types increase by 1. These values stack with other extraordinary forms of energy resistance the monk might already have.

Spiritual Resilience (Su): A lawful monk of at least 8th level can gains damage reduction 1/chaotic while a chaotic monk of the same level gains damage reduction 1/lawful. For every 3 additional class levels gained, this damage reduction increases by 1.

And for empty body, here's an ability based on the Permeable Form spell. (sor/wiz 3)

Empty Body (Su): As a free or immediate action, a monk of at least (?) level can become incorporeal for 1 round, assuming all the benefits and drawbacks of such a state. If the monk becomes corporeal within a solid material object, he is shunted to the nearest open space, suffering 1d6 damage for every 5 feet so traveled. A monk must wait 2d4 rounds after using this ability, before it can be used again. This ability can be used once per day per class level.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:42:44 PM by Andion Isurand »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
Just remembered I never finished this one. I should catch Bhu and have another go