Author Topic: Knight of the spear [3.5e Prestige Class] - control oriented  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Hello everyone.
I am currently trying to build a PrC for a field control build based on the idea of the PHB2 knight. (Which sucks beyond the idea and the LV3 ability)
The purpose of this class is to be as core-ish as possible, so no bonus feats that use any material outside of that. I know that a knight isnt core, but that one is fine. ;)

Give me your ideas and thoughts. Too much, too little? Or something else?

Knight of the spear
aka master of opportunities   
"Foul monster! you will not lay a hand on these people as long as I can stand! "

A noble fighter, devoting his life to the protection of those in need and danger.

BECOMING A Knight of the spear
Usually knights or paladins become knights of the spear, as they already devoted themselfs to a higher goal and code of conduct.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Alignment: Law/Good
BAB:+5
Weapon focus: Any reach weapon (A large weapon doesnt count for this purpose)
Feats: Impr. Trip,
Maybe: Sense motive or heal?

Special code of conduct: Your order isnt as bound to the idea of honor as regular knights. Instead they follow a different path that replaces any previous codex.
Save the weak: If anybody asks you for protection to save his or some others life you will help him, equally you wont stand by when the weak are beeing preyed on.
A knight never strikes a flat-footed opponent. Instead, you allow your foe to ready himself before attacking.
A knight never deals lethal damage against a helpless foe. You can strike such a foe, but only with attacks that deal nonlethal damage.

Class Skills
 The Knight of the spear's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....
Clim, Jump, Ride, swim, knw. Local, knw.nobility, diplomacy, heal, sense motive, spot, intimidate
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: D10

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +1    +0     +0     +2    Edge of opportunity, Take me instead, The knight's code
2. +2    +0     +0     +3    improved reflexes, Avenger,
3. +3    +1     +1     +3    I see an opening,
4. +4    +1     +1     +4    Edge of oportunity, Improved reflexes,
5. +5   +1     +1     +4    Battlefield presence, Take me instead-greater
6. +6    +2     +2     +5    Improved reflexes,
7. +7    +2     +2     +5    Take me instead,greater, edge of oportunity
8. +8    +2     +2     +6    Size doesnt matter

Weapon Proficiencies: You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies

Abilities:
Edge of opportunity: Your order favours the way of controlled battle over a bruttal attack.
You gain +1ATK/+1DMG on every a.o.o. you make, simultaneously you gain +2 bonus on every STR check used for a trip, disarm or sunder attempt. This increases to +2/+4 on Lv4 and +3/+6 on Lv7

Take me instead: To protect the weak, to shield others with your own live is what defines a true knight.
Once per turn, you can make an immediate action to absorb the dmg an adjacent ally would have taken. This only works on melee and ranged melee attacks, not on spells, except area of effect spells that allow a save to half the dmg. In this case you take half of the dmg your ally would have taken, he still takes the other half.

Take me instead, greater: A knight will give his life for others, that doesnt mean that he is easy to kill though.
This ability works like the previous version, but now you only take dmg from melee attacks if the attack would have beaten your AC. If you shield an ally against an aoe spell it still deals half the dmg to you, but none to you ally.

Improved reflexes: You training made you more aware of enemy mistakes.
You gain +1 additional Aoo for each turn, this increases to +2 and +3 additional uses on Lv3 and Lv6.

Avenger: If you cant protect them you must avenge them!
If an enemy that you threaten damages and ally with a melee attack you can make an a.o.o.

I see an opening: Your keen eyes can make out openings in the defences of all enemys to land stunning blows.
As an immed. action you can use up one attack of opportunity (from the number of possible aoos you would have each round) to increase the power of a melee attack. If your attack deals damage, the enemy must make a Will saving throw or become dazed for 1 round. DC10+ your knight level+ STR modifier. You must decide to use this ability before you make the attack, if you miss, the effect is lost.

Battlefield presence: An enemy that starts his turn in an area that you threaten must watch out for your strikes. He looses -2ATK on all Attack rolls as long as he stays within your reach.

Size doesnt matter: You have mastered your weapon and you skills, enemys no longer gain a size advantage against you when it comes to trip or disarm attacks. They still gain a bonus from Strength or because of having more then 2 legs and alike though.

PLAYING A Knight of the spear

Combat
: You goal is not to kill an enemy as fast as possible but to ensure that your allys are save. You use your quick reflexes to stop enemys as soon as they come into your reach.
 Advancement: -
Resources: You are a member of a knightly order, therefore you can expect help from other orders or paladins with simmilar goals. You basically find a free bed and food in everey city where such an order is present. You are also more respected, especially by travelers.

Knight of the spear IN THE WORLD

„I will never forget how the man held off those monsters all by himself until every last one of my family was save behind the city walls.“

Usual reactions: Positive, most people know of the good deeds of the spear order and praise them as companiens and guards on journeys.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:27:21 PM by Dwarfi »