Author Topic: Psionic Powers, by Discipline (Primarily for the Erudite, but generally useful).  (Read 13231 times)

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
I've just finished going through all the books I thought of to find psionic powers, and made a complete list of them.  Key to this is that I made the list by discipline, because when I was considering what Favored Discipline(s) to pick for my Erudite, I couldn't find any power list that made it easy to determine exactly what I would get by choosing that as a favored discipline.  The powers restricted to psions of a particular discipline were easy, but favored discipline makes ALL powers of that discipline into standard psion/wilder powers, so it was much more difficult to determine what I would get from other lists, like powers that are only on the mantles, and powers from the Psychic Warrior and Lurk lists.

Therefore, here is a full list of all psionic powers from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionic, Secrets of Sarlona, Stormwrack, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, Sandstorm, Weapons of Legacy, Races of the Wild, Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, Frostburn, Magic of Incarnum, Faiths of Eberron, Magic of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron, Races of Eberron, Dragon #317, and the Mind's Eye 3.5 Compilation PDF.  (Some are double-entries because I included the same power from every book it appeared in, rather than just one instance of it).

Psionic Powers by Discipline

The second unlabeled column is the level at which an erudite without Favored Discipline would normally gain access to that power.  Any powers they can't normally learn are marked as - and powers marked 10 aren't available before epic.

I may work some more on this, adding some basic descriptions and such.  If anyone has any additional sources I didn't think of to check, I'd love to hear about them so I can add those too.  I might turn this into a proper handbook at some point, but for the moment figured it's just a useful list.

Observations and comments: Metacreativity, which was originally one of my top choices, has very few powers that are otherwise entirely unavailable to the Erudite.  While some of its powers are exceedingly nice, the Erudite eventually gets all the best ones anyway if the game goes epic.  Genesis is the only one from there I would really, really want that I can't get pre-epic, and even that one could, potentially, be obtained with psychic chirurgery.  Psychometabolism, however, remains top of the pile - and perhaps secures its position as #1 pick, as it has the largest number of otherwise unavailable powers, several of which are very nice.  It also of course contains Metamorphosis and its greater version, meaning earlier access to those.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:43:48 PM by Mnemnosyne »
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline rot42

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Giant (and to my knowledge comprehensive) list o' where to find psionic material at http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27990153/Index:_3.5_Psionics_Outside_the_XPH_Version. Comparing with your list of sources:

Faiths of Eberron, Magic of Eberron, Magic of Incarnum, Player's Guide to Eberron, Races of Eberron, and a couple of the Mind's Eye powers were not reprinted.

Most of the ones you are missing are highly situational or setting-specific, but I can give a quick run down if you would like.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
(ninja'd)

7th Geas also has a 2nd slightly updated version of that super list.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27990153/Index:_3.5_Psionics_Outside_the_XPH_Version_2

Regardless, the previous power lists aren't broken down this specific.
Original Erudite likes this.
Mind's Eye Favored Discipline Erudite(s) like 1/6th of this ...  ;)
Psiotheurgists feats in Dr#349 work a little differently, but like this anyway.

A total hash-out of what exactly is meant by the various
somewhat vague "discipline" definitions in the Erudite entry,
never happened. Erudite and CPsi in general needed some editing ...  :fu
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:50:50 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
... Observations and comments: Metacreativity, which was originally one of my top choices, has very few powers that are otherwise entirely unavailable to the Erudite ...

The original 6 Psion Disciplines are more like Kits at this point, with the skills making some difference.

Erudites go much further afield, and the powers themselves are key to the class.
Original vs. Mantled vs. Discipline(s) vs. Spell to Power ... are less similar than the Psions.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Updated with the books I was missing and the Dragon magazines in that list, as well as the Mind's Eye compilation.  I actually had Incarnum in there from the beginning but had forgotten to list it.

As for the discipline definitions in the erudite entry, that is an interesting point.  I wrote the list on the assumption (and I think it is probably the common one) that it means those powers specifically on a psion's discipline lists like Egoist, Telepath, etc. are the only ones available to a standard Erudite that aren't on the Psion/Wilder list.  Much of the text suggests that to be the case, particularly the wording "discipline-only."  Unfortunate that they used the word Discipline to both mean the 'school' of a psionic power as well as the 'specialization' of a psion.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:44:48 PM by Mnemnosyne »
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Psithief

• Lurker
  • Can I haz your PP?
    • View Profile
Ooh, nice. Can I get this in Comma Separated Values format?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
i have already completed a master list of all psionic powers in the game taken from all officially wotc recognized sources.

converted to excel and so forth.

quite useful for reference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:25:31 PM by nijineko »

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
I converted to .csv, and uploaded the original .xlsx formats, both here along with the htm one.  Hopefully that's what you're looking for.
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Psithief

• Lurker
  • Can I haz your PP?
    • View Profile
I converted to .csv, and uploaded the original .xlsx formats, both here along with the htm one.  Hopefully that's what you're looking for.

All the description text is out of order in the csv.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
do you want mine?