Author Topic: Chapter 4 - The Creature Walks Among Us  (Read 22198 times)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Chapter 4 - The Creature Walks Among Us
« on: July 14, 2020, 05:40:17 PM »
Nadja wakes up with a massive hang-over, and Fuyuko also learns a valuable lesson about overindulgence, and why both would be better advised sticking to candyfloss.

The following days are otherwise uneventful as you complete your equipment procurements, with Lusica off the trail and less skilled investigators unable to pierce Tanya's disguise.

Eventually you set off to pay a visit to Kovel Mansion in Old Chancel. It looks uninviting, its windows boarded up and its overgrown garden filled with trash, litter and refuse. The gates in the wall hang off the hinges, offering no resistance to your intrusion.

At the northern side of the building is the main entry - and also the only apparent one.
To the west of the mansion are number of huddled and partially dilipated wooden outbuildings

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:54:12 AM by Skyrock »

Offline dman

• View Profile
Re: Chapter 4 - The Creature Walks Among Us
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 01:33:53 PM »
Hank walks up to inspect the ground. "Niko, look at this."  He points to the tracks.  "It looks like there is a lot of traffic here for a condemned building...  Hmmm... Those are Lucy's weapons, and see here!  It looks like she went in with four guardsmen and didn't come out.  David would you mind getting a birds eye view for us?"

The gnome gives a curt nod. His eyes roll back into his head and with an eerie whistle a dove pops out of his front pocket and alights on his ink-stained forefinger.  He casts the dove up in the air and it flies around the mansion, stopping to inspect a few areas of interest before landing back on David's hand and crawling into his front pocket.

Hank asks, "Did you see anything?  Can anyone make out what it says at the entrance?" 

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
The only thing visible from the sky is the unroofed inner courtyard. It is completely devoid of life at this time, but surprisingly clean and kept in much better condition than the exterior of the house suggests.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Niko grunts dismissively at Hank.  "I saw.  Do we follow or see what was of interest in that building?"

He points at outbuilding 3 on the map.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 07:28:03 PM »
"Even I couldn't hide in a shed for long, it should be quick to check."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
The trip to the outbuilding is quick and uneventful. It is filled with soiled straw and rusty iron cages, suggesting that it used to be a kennel for dogs.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:21:22 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 09:39:55 PM »
Having no idea about if the figure was unusual in any way--though fairly confident that they wouldn't be a threat if they did try something--the ninja spoke up first. No doubt Hank would go into some proselytising rant or talk about turning their life around; she would rather just know who they are. Maybe bribe them with food. Or soap. Soap seemed like a good idea.

"Not an awful hiding attempt. Why are you here?"

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »
The hunchbacked figure clutches its club even tighter as it is found out,

"You. Humans. Leave. Now! I found those edible bugs first!"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:34 PM »
Giving the figure a dumbfounded look, Yuki reaches into a pocket and the pouch within, scattering rations--up to a day's worth--towards the figure, albeit not so far as to immediately come off as an attack. It wasn't like someone eating insects would care about food winding up on the floor.

"You're just looking for food?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
Niko rolls his eyes at the accusation that he might want to steal some bugs to eat.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
The figure wolfs the food down with one hand, but without letting go of its club and without letting you out of sight or coming too close to you.

"What you want? This my home and my bugs!"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »
"The mansion. Does anyone go in there? If you tell us what you've seen, we'll leave."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
"You are not here for my bugs?" He still seems a bit suspicious.

"Bad and dangerous people live there, ruffians and thugs and thieves, the whole lot. Many traps too. Not a good place to go, best to avoid it.

Yesterday there were some red guards. Didn't come for my bugs or my home, they came to bother them instead. I just laid low and preferred it to leave it that way."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 02:48:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)

"We are not here for your bugs, Mr........?"  Hank waits expectantly for a name.

"In fact if you could give us some more details about what you know about them and this place we'd be happy to clear those dangerous people out and you could have the bugs of the whole property if you'd like.  How does that sound?"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:53:14 PM by dman »

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »
"I'm not a Mister Something. I'm just Spider, hiding in the dark nooks and crannies and eating the bugs."

He laughs as if he had told a great joke only he gets.

"I don't want to live in the big house. I prefer my home. The big predators ignore it, it has enough space to house me, and it is mine. Although I think they went in here and stole some of my bugs when I wasn't looking. I swear I should have more.

There's not much else to tell. I haven't seen their big boss in some weeks, guess they backstabbed him or however thieves get rid of their big boss.
The three sub-bosses don't seem to have determined their new leader yet, heard some bickering on quiet nights. In fact I heard some bickering just last night, something about what to do with that Red Guard tart. They are some sorcerous ginger tart named Lyra, some big beefy dude named Crven who can huff so hard that he blows embers, and some creepy hook-nosed guy named Haakon.
A couple of weeks ago they had three young and pretty ginger tarts showing up, sisters and orphans from what I have overheard, looking to get inducted. They must have been desperate to try their fortune with this lot."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:27:40 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
"Useful."

Yuki looks at the others, then exits the little outhouse. That was probably all the useful information that they were going to get out of the man, and on the chance he was under the employ of the bandits here, then talking about Lusica or what they should do to his face was no doubt a bad idea. The safest thing to do was kill him, as with any witness you didn't want to speak out, and hide the body. But no doubt someone would complain about the practical option.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
"There's no point bargaining with their kind. Caliban understand but a few things." Mist says.

She steps forward, picking up a cockroach and holding it in her hand. Her normal poker face turns into a grin.

"You will show us around this place." she says, before eldritch energy appears in her palm causing the cockroach to violently explode. "Or No. More. Bugs."

(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »
The caliban trembles, then without further comment runs out of the outbuilding and for the hills.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
"I would have just snapped his neck, but I suppose that works too."

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
The other two outbuildings used to be the groundkeeper's cottage judging from the rusty gardening tools, and the hound master's cottage judging from the rotting leashes, slings and other tools of the trade. Neither contains anything of worth or notice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:50:34 PM by Skyrock »