Author Topic: Hound Archon  (Read 5059 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Hound Archon
« on: November 08, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
Hound Archon

HD:d8
Level Bab Fort Ref Will Feature
1 +1  +2 +0  +2 Hound archon body, Change Shape, scent
2 +2  +3 +0  +3 Archon, Hound Hide , +1 Str
3 +3  +3 +1  +3 Aura of Menace, Celestia Warden, +1 Cha
4 +4  +4 +1  +4 Magic Circle against evil Celestia Warden, greater, +1 Str

Skills:4+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st level. Its class skills are Balance, climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Hide , Jump , Listen , Move Silently , Sense Motive , Spot , Swim,  Survival

Proficiencies:
it's own natural weapons, simple and martial weapons.

Features:

Hound Archon body: at first level loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits(basicaly darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base speed 40, a natural slam attacks dealing 1d4+Str mod  and a bite attack dealing 1d8+ Str mod. In a full attack, it may use either the slam or bite attack as a secondary weapon adding only half str bonus to damage and with a -5 penalty on the secondary attack(but not any penalty on the primary). It can combine one natural attack with a manufactured weapon.

A Hound archon also gains a bonus to its natural armor equal to it's Con modifier.

Change Shape (Su): A hound archon can assume any canine form of Small to medium size and back  1/day for each HD it has. While in canine form, the hound archon loses its bite, slam, and any manufactured weapon attack, but gains the bite attack of the form it chooses. For the purposes of this ability, canines include any doglike or wolflike animal of the animal type.

At 4HD, it may also take the form of large canines by expending one extra use of change shape. For each extra 4 HD, it may make the large canine form grow one extra size (huge at 8th, gargantuan at 12th, colossal at 16th), but it must expend one extra use of change shape for each extra size increase.

While transformed into a canine, the Hound Archon gains a circumstancial bonus to Hide and Survival checks equal to its own HD.

(click to show/hide)

Scent: as the srd ability.

Archon:The Hound Archon gains resistance to electrecity and petrification equal to its HD and and a bonus on saves against poison equal to half its HD.

In adition, all natural attacks and weapons wielded by the hound archon count as good aligned for purposes of bypassing DR.

Hound Hide:The hound archon gains DR/evil equal to half its HD and SR equal to its HD+11. It may raise or lower its SR at any time as a free action.

Ability increase: The hound archon gains +1 Str at levels 2 and 4 and +1 Cha at level 3.

Aura of Menace (Su):
A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a Will save to resist its effects. The save DC is 10+HD+Cha mod (yes count all the HD, not just half). Those who fail take a -2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Celestia Warden: The Hound archon can use aid, continual flame, detect evil, message as SLAs, DC=10+1/2HD+Cha mod. Unless the hound archon uses the 50Gp of ruby dust, his continual flames just last 1 minute per CL instead of being permanent.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su):
A magic circle against evil effect always surrounds an archon (caster level equals the archon’s Hit Dice). It can be dispelled, but the archon can create a new one next turn as a free action.

Celestia Warden, greater:The hound archon can use  teleport as a SLA 1/day for each 4HD it has. At 13th level, this ability upgrades to greater teleport.

Comments:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:42:44 AM by oslecamo »

Offline ~Corvus~

• My Greed has spread here too =D
    • View Profile
Re: Hound Archon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »
What exactly does resistance to petrification do? Is this a bonus to saves against a handful of spells?
Quote from: HuskyBoi
I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Greedling avatar by Ceika from Giantitp.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 12:06:08 AM »
Yes, resistance on saves against stuff that inflifcts petrification (would also help against Medusa Gaze and similar).

Offline ~Corvus~

• My Greed has spread here too =D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:44:47 AM »
Most canines allow Improved Trip or like abilities. WOuldn't it make sense to grant this to the Hound Archon anyways?
Quote from: HuskyBoi
I just need a minute to appreciate the words 'goliath lamp-post sneak attack'. That's a thing of beauty, right there.

Greedling avatar by Ceika from Giantitp.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:34:14 AM »
It's already there in Change Shape " The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form."

It makes less sense for the Hound Archon to have improved trip in its humanoid form since canine improved trip is based in being a low quadruped and going for the legs of taller enemies, something much harder to do when you're standing in two legs yourself.