Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate  (Read 123982 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »
The light of Ser Nelio's torch illuminates the surrounding darkness.  As he surveys the area, he finds that both passages extend beyond the visual range of his light source.  Empty sconces line the walls, but he sees no other distinguishing features.

(click to show/hide)
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
Without turning around to face the rest of the party, Nelio signals with his hand to follow him as he and Flip continue further down the westward passageway.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
Rounding the corner, Nelio can hear the shuffling of feet from behind him as the rest of the party hustles to keep his pace.  When he reaches the point where his torchlight began to fade from the intersection now behind him, Nelio can now clearly see that the corridor has two exits ahead.  Both lead to his left (southward).

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »
Caerus quickens his pace and joins Nelio in the lead group.  He slows a pace behind them and readies his bow.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
Nelio and Flip move to the first intersection and peer around the corner.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »
Seemingly oblivious to Caerus' presence, Nelio leads Flip forward.  While Nelio stops to peer around the first corner, however, Flip dashes across the first corridor to the 10-foot section of wall between the two new areas.  Nelio sees a cutout corridor on his left, shortly before the corridor turns sharply to his right.  Flip returns to the others to report that the other corridor turns sharply to the west; which makes sense as it is shortly before Nelio estimates his own corridor turns west.

As the three other members of the party await the results of the scouting trip, Korgan and Hoal are startled to hear a soft wheeze erupt from Flap.  Turning to him, they watch as he looks down at an arrowhead that had punched through his back and apparently through a lung judging by the hissing sound.  Flap's eyes roll back and he falls to the floor with a total of three arrows in his back.  Lifting their torches, the faint outline of a group of skeleton warriors can now be seen just outside the range of the light.  Two skeletons are down on one knee, with the other two directly behind them.  You can hear what can only be construed as laughter as one gets a pat on the back from another.  As they converse between another in a guttural language, they begin reaching for a new set of arrows...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:41:37 PM by Gnomeo »

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
The gnome reels around at the sound of Flip hitting the floor, seeing the three arrows protruding from his back and growing pool of blood beneath. Nelio then fixes his gaze down the hall, locking his sights on the undead heathen at the end of the hallway. An angry rage begins to well inside as he readies his flail and charges down the hallway to avenge the fallen sorcerer.

"KNOW THE WRATH THAT IS MINE, UNDEAD SCUM!!!

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
Caerus lets out an audible gulp at the sight of the fallen party member.  His hand begins to shake as he reaches to his quiver for a arrow.

(click to show/hide)

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
Looking down on his twin, Flip's eyes begin to burn with teal flames.  Tears streak down his face as he draws his sword and charges down the hallway.  He brings his sword down upon the kneeling skeleton that received the pat on the back a moment ago, crushing it in a cloud of shattered bone.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Just half a step behind Flip, Nelio races down the hallway, twirling his flail above his head. In a rapid one-two succession, Flip pulverizes the first skeleton while Nelio brings the large metal spiked ball upon the adjacent fleshless monster's head.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
Korgan unsheaths his axe, straps on his shield, and is looking around for anything else that might suddenly appear.

The gnome is plugging that hole so I won't need to worry about it.  Where in the Nine Hells did they appear from??
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
Reeling from a blow to the head, the skeleton in the front rank drops the bow and arrow it was holding.  Reaching to its side, it rises to its feet and pulls a short sword; jabbing it at Nelio and nearly finding a gap in his armor.

The skeleton directly behind its crushed kin must have been flustered by the abruptness of the Halfling's attack, as it looses its arrow into the wall two feet to Flip's right.  It also decides that dropping the bow is wise, and likewise draws a short sword.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
Reeling from a blow to the head, the skeleton in the front rank drops the bow and arrow it was holding.  Reaching to its side, it rises to its feet and pulls a short sword; jabbing it at Nelio and nearly finding a gap in his armor.

The skeleton directly behind its crushed kin must have been flustered by the abruptness of the Halfling's attack, as it looses its arrow into the wall two feet to Flip's right.  It also decides that dropping the bow is wise, and likewise draws a short sword.

It's just like before...

Caerus lets out a deep breath and tries to calm himself.  As he does, he draws back his bow and fires at the "injured" skeleton.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
Finding it difficult to fight off his nerves, Caerus' arrow skitters off down the hallway.

The skeleton in the rear takes a shot at Flip, thinking he may be as easy a target as his brother was.  Unfortunately, the shot is not nearly as easy to take when you have heroes trying to bash your skull in.  Even if they are half your size.

Hoal draws his battleaxe and takes a wide stance to plant himself directly over the fallen Halfling.  His attention is focused on the two remaining hallways, intent not to be surprised again.

Flip continues his onslaught, taking a step forward and felling another skeleton in a single blow.  Tears continue to stream down his cheeks, though he hasn't made a sound since he watched his brother fall face first onto the cobblestone.

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
Concentrating on the skeleton in front of him, Nelio swings his flail down across the skeleton's rib cage, hoping to smash it to bits.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
Nelio's target is crushed so completely that what remains is mostly a pile of dust.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »
Korgan maintains his vigilant guard hoping the noises of combat do not attract any undue attention.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
Caerus shakes his head at his prior effort, takes another deep breath and sends another arrow at the final skeleton.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2013, 01:00:35 AM »
Caerus' arrow impacts the skeleton in the forehead; fracturing the aged bone.  Immediately after the impact, Flip takes a step forward and caves the rest of the skull in with the butt end of his sword.

Seeing the skeletons dispatched, Flip turns and walks to where his brother lay.  Twisting arrows out, Flip rolls Flap onto his back, and rests his hands on his chest as if he were sleeping.  "I haven't forgotten my promise, brother."  Reaching into Flap's belt pouch, Flip pulls out a small flask filled with a bright red liquid.  Standing up, Flip removes the cork, and instantly upon contact with the open air the liquid inside catches fire.  Pouring the burning liquid onto his brother, Flip says, "Nothing gets to eat you."  Moments later, a pile of ashes is all that remains of the Halfling Sorcerer.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2013, 02:32:41 PM »
Nelio watches quietly as Flap's body is engulfed by the magical red flames. He says a small prayer to help guide the fallen halfling's soul to the afterlife. After seeing the body reduced to ashes, Nelio quickly composes himself, and gives Flip a firm pat on the shoulder.

He then turns his attention toward the human simpleton. Nelio walks directly toward Hoal, stands on his tiptoes and reaches up high to grab him by the chest, pulling Hoal down to the his level. With their faces only inches apart, Nelio says in a firm tone:

"I gave you one job, and one job alone - to protect the sorcerer. Your failure is extremely disappointing and has resulted in great detriment to the party. You have proven to be of very little value and I do not see what further contribution you may have to us. You better not get any of the rest of us killed."

Nelio releases his grasp on Hoal and goes back to the remains of the skeletons. He looks through the debris to see if there is anything unusual or maybe a clue of where they came from.

(click to show/hide)