Author Topic: Neverwinter MMO is in open beta  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Neverwinter MMO is in open beta
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
http://nw.perfectworld.com/

It's owned by Perfectworld, and only has a passing resemblance to the 4E rules. It's an action-MMO that bastardizes the Neverwinter name and world.

Naturally, I'm downloading it anyway.

From what I've heard, the cash shop isn't intrusive, and the cash shop gold (called Zen) is purchasable with ingame currency.

EDIT: Played it, hated it.

EDIT2: Aaaand this has been moved to plug/promote when it was supposed to be a critical discussion of a D&D product.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:14:58 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Neverwinter MMO is in open beta
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »

Mind giving a more detailed review? There's so many ways that game could've gone wrong that I would like to know just how far they got.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
That's a real shame. 4E is the edition I always figured would work the best as a computer game.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »

Mind giving a more detailed review? There's so many ways that game could've gone wrong that I would like to know just how far they got.

Sure. I played it for about 30 minutes, the controls were clunky and unpolished, the mechanics were shoehorned to fit a pseudo-4E system, and the voice acting actively made me want to shut the game off. It felt like a game following on the coat tails of GW2, doing everything GW2 did, but worse, while at the same time leeching off the Neverwinter IP.

When I say the controls were clunky, the system doesn't flow at all. It has a dodge system (just like the endurance in GW2), but hit detection is terrible and all the animations have to reset to default before you start a new one. This makes everything jerky.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:07:47 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 12:18:50 AM »
I can't even log in.  The launcher crashes as soon as I put in my username/password.

Edit:  Turns out this is caused by TeamViewer being active in the background.  So if you use TeamViewer, close it before trying to launch the game.  In case you were wondering. 

Edit 2:  I about fell out of my chair laughing at the first random name it generated for me:  Benn Doverson.  Not even joking.  Of course I went with that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:50:42 AM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
I dunno, I think the controls work fine :/ I haven't heard any complaints about them from the people I play with anyways *shrugs*

Been playing it with friends mostly since it came out and been having a lot of fun with it. The dungeons have been getting cooler as we go through each one too. The Foundry thing is also pretty interesting, what with being able to create your own dungeon for others to play. Haven't tried it yet, but with how many player-made adventures there are already, it definitely looks like people's favorite feature.

Edit: Oh, and then I suppose there is the thing with being able to by cash shop credits with in game 'currency'. These Astral Diamond things you get from certain quests and from doing Foundry dungeons. If anything, I kind of like how they approached the cash shop thing a lot. Not sure how it'll go in the long run though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:52:49 PM by ketaro »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
Having played the Star Trek MMO (also owned by Perfect World) I don't have much hope for it.  STO is just so boring endgame...

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 02:03:08 AM »
So far the Cleric doesn't feel very... Cleric-y.  He wears medium armor and shoots things with lasers instead of buffing and smashing.  So far my only healing powers are a debuff that heals people who attack that enemy, a heal-over-time that heals myself as well as the target, and a minor AoE centered on myself that is mainly for damaging enemies.  I just hit level 10 and unlocked "Divine Power" mode, which powers up my cooldown abilities and changes my basic attacks (one becomes a continuous damage beam and the other a continuous healing beam), but I haven't got to try it out much.  It's also kind of hard to aim my heals because of the way the controls are set up, but I guess that makes the game different.  It's certainly more engaging than healing in WoW. 

I guess I just envisioned the Neverwinter cleric the same way I envision my 3.5 cleric - heavy armor, buffs himself to heaven and back, then smashes faces with a morningstar while healing people as an afterthought.  And that's just not how this version of a cleric works. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.