Author Topic: Idea for a VtM campaign plotline needed.  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
Idea for a VtM campaign plotline needed.
« on: October 20, 2015, 11:23:36 PM »
So, it looks like I'll be starting an old World of Darkness vampire campaign. The problem is, the person I usually go to for plot ideas will be one of the players. So I need someone else to brainstorm it with. I have a general idea for the game area, but lack the binding idea that would bind the plot.

The Polish city of Lodz, once a melting pot of Polish, Russian, German and Jewish cultures, famous as "the promised land" for daring businessmen, as it grew into a center of textile industry.

Nowadays the factories are mostly gone, the largest one converted into a giant shopping mall, but the mansions of the industry moguls still stand, serving as museums or administrative buildings. While many speak of the city's decline, others still enjoy its pubs, cinemas and picturesque old houses. The architecture ranges from old tenement houses to long blocks of flats from the times of communism, and the modern facilities of glass and metal stand just blocks away from dilapidated backyards where one would not go at night.

VAMPIRE SOCIETY - key clans

Brujah - the current Prince is a female noble from the 16th century, known both from her cunning and from her tendency to manhandle and defenstrate those who make her lose her temper. She's the second oldest vampire in the city (the oldest being the Gangrel primogen. She feels threatened by his power, but he mostly doesn't care)  Her children and grandchildren are either nobles from the decline of Poland, or various resistance members from the partitioning times, while the youngest brujah have been carefully selected from the local organized crime.

Ventrue - there are two big power players in the Ventrue. One is the primogen, Boguslav. He is an infamous historical figure who once betrayed Poland during the Swedish invasion, an act that made him the villain of one of Poland's most famous novels, and made him the local 'evil aristocrat' archetype. He definitely plays the part, though he lacks the manpower to shift the power directly - he has lost most of his first children so most of his progeny is less than 200 years old. His favourite daughter used to be a textile factory worker who gain a level of influence through her cunning, despite low education. Most modern ventrue are recruited from big business, as it the current trend. 

Boguslav used to be a duke in life, which is the same as 'prince' in Polish, but he can't use the title for obvious reason, a fact that frustrates him to no end.

The other power player is the Marquis, a mysterious French ventrue, who, upon arriving in Lodz discovered that several houses in the city center are covered by surprisingly powerful wards, left there by the previous owner - He set up a night club there and, thanks to its added safety, managed to get the Prince to declare it the new elisium, taking the position away from the Toreador.

Nosferatu - a mix of old Jews and Russians, the nosferatu rule much of the old town in the city centre, even though the city doesn't have much in a way of impressive sewers, barring the oldest part that is now a museum. Their influence comes chiefly from the primogen's son holding the position of the Sheriff.

RECENT EVENTS

The Great dig - The city center is undergoing major changes, split in half by road works as the main road is being modified and partially moved underground to reduce the traffic jams at key intersections. On the other side of the centre, the old train station has been demolished and a new, much larger one is being constructed - it is said that it will be connected underground to the other train station across the city, but this will require years of digging tunnels under the old town. For this reason the investment is closely monitored by the nosferatu, who intend to use it to make some changes to their own network.

PLAYERS

1 Nosferatu. A 50 year old expert from the historical buildings preservation office, who discovered some nosferatu tunnels while overseeing the plans for the dig. She was embraced rather than killed because one of the nosferatu was her old university professor. Right now she's officially alive, but unable to leave home due to some severe mental condition, allowing her to sign whatever papers her new bos needs, while not showing her face to her old colleagues. Her big problem is that she has little usefulness to the nosferatu beyond that - she is going to have to learn fast.

2 Malkavian. A psychiatry student embraced by one of the kindred in the local hospital. She is a great observer and very persuasive, but also a compulsive liar.

PLOT?

Obviously something about the dig, but what will it be? Possibly some betrayal by Boguslav at some point - though he has to be careful since literally everybody expects him to try a coup sooner or later. Some organized crime or business-related plots?

No big conflicts with the local werewolves (that would interfere with our other campaign too early) but it would be fun to make them cooperate with Black Spirals for a quest or two.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a VtM campaign plotline needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:05 AM »
tunnel unearths a baddie from suspended animation.  Mage perhaps?

Dig accident kills were bears child who promptly loses his shit and goes full blown serial killer in his quest for revenge.

Dig awakens powerful vampire who currently has little to no clan in the city.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:42:47 AM by bhu »

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
All of these work as single session ideas (although neither character is really physical - so I'm looking for more intrigue than combat challenges - at least until they can get some npcs under their influence)

But what I'm looking is the main plotline to tie everything together - campaigns based on a "crisis of the week" tend to fizzle out for me and that would be a waste.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:54:02 AM »
First off, the setting sounds fabulous.  I just wanted to say that out of the gate. 

I prefer my Vampire plotlines to be vampire-focused.  Which, I recognize, puts me at odds with like 99.9% of everything White Wolf has ever published.  Your PCs are very cerebral it sounds like, so you'd want something with a mystery angle.  Although it'd also help a lot if they had some sort of motivations.  The brief character descriptions don't give any indication of what these characters want:  power?  security?  peace?  oodles of blood?

The wards and the dig seem like the most interesting plot threads for a mystery- and intellect-inclined set of characters.  So, I'd aim towards those. 

Off the top of my head, I'd say something like this.  Somebody is going to use the Dig as a means to cripple the Nosferatu, in advance of perhaps some bigger plotline.  Perhaps they plan to put their own toady in the Sheriff position in expectation of a coup, although I think Boguslav is entirely too obvious.  And, he might be a little too "old school" for this kind of approach.  Hmm, maybe they want to cripple the Nosferatu in advance of a plan to do a daring midnight attack style thing using tunnels (which the Nos would obviously be wise to), and taking out the Sheriff has an added benefit of them being able to ramp up and gain a bunch of "troops" (new vampires) without anyone sniffing around too much. 

You could start this with smaller crime-oriented mysteries popping up as various parts of the big Dig project are being taken control of by whatever the coup force is and repurposed.  And, then it all starts building towards something a lot bigger, and the PCs get to respond to that, especially since they'll be the only ones who really see the whole picture ...

The virtues of this very rough sketch are that it really gets at least one of the players engaged in this.  Nosferatu PC is going to quickly realize that she's effectively got a target on her back, and that her home and support network is going to be threatened.  So, there's a nice motivation there for her to do something about it.  Indeed, you can even use it as an excuse to thrust her into prominence via Nosferatu casualties.  Or, you can use this as a reason for her to make herself useful to the Nos.  It could go lots of different ways.  It also sounds like the Malkavian PC might be interested in mysteries, so that might work, too, although there's not much of a description to go on for that one.

My basic approach to VtM is to make it as close to Game of Thrones and the Wire as I can.  I like the Camarilla society, so I tend to focus on that if I can. 

Hope that helps.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
I'will post my ideas here as they emerge. Until then, please enjoy some images of my fine city  :cool

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
So, the first ideas that have coalesced.

The dig is obviously controlled by the Nosferatu - but it turns out someone is trying to hijack the enterprise from under them. The nosferatu will be sent to investigate when some ghouls in charge of the project suffer mysterious accidents, and then discover that someone has been stealing archive documents - perhaps the very same she had been embraced over - someone is gathering information so when the project is over, he will have a detailed knowledge of all the extra tunnels the nosferatu intended to keep secret.

In fact it's a mix of several factions - since everyone knows that the dig will involve the nosferatu, everyone will try to gain something.

But I'd like one of the high ranking Malkavians to be to be the big bad in this plot - a psychiatrist who suffers from a severe OCD , but rather than being obsessed with symmetry as he pretends, he's actually a complete control freak and can't stand not having the nosferatu withinn his reach (so for once malkavian madness is an element driving the plot, rather than just a wakiness factor.) 

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
Just curious if that was the demote definition of defenestrate or the out-the-window definition?

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
out of the window. Her house has an inner courtyard, so they don't land in the street  :P

Offline amike

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
How about that there is an amphora of Antediluvian blood hidden underground, easiest way to find it is to get a werewolf to sniff it out for you. Everybody would want it, gives you an in to involve but not war with the werewolves, and if they do not find it quickly enough a human could find it and begin to be influenced by it, becoming less sane and more dangerous.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
Changes to the character description:

The Malkavian has changed her character concept. Instead of a local vampire, she's a newcomer from Cracov - her master, suffering from severe paranoia, has got it into his head that the tremere of Lodz are plotting against him, and sent his child to investigate.

No longer able to bear his brand of crazy, she used the mission as an excuse to create a network and a permanent lair in Lodz, to cut ties. She arrived with a ridiculously sounding mission of investigating some old legends of a magical ring (she's not really a compulsive liar, but she uses it as part of her loony facade - her actual disorder is that she can't tell the effects of her auspex apart from her hallucinations) which was enough for her not to be treated seriously - so when she approached the nosferatu with a letter from her master requesting their assistance, she was delegated to the other PC, a nosferatu historian that just happens to be the last in the pecking order.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
Ok, so the introduction session is behind me.

There are two points that I can use to introduce adventure hooks:

- One is that the nosferatu is fairly competent with computers (and the resident nosferatu computer tech is busy on another mission) while the malkavian is surprisingly competent in accounting.

- The other is that the malkavian has continued her false pretense of looking for a nonexistent magic ring, and has insisted on being toured through all the old cementaries in town, touching the graves with auspex on and generally fishing for something weird.

I'm already working on both, but perhaps one of you can come up with something better that I do.

Offline Lokiyn

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »
buried deep beneath the city are the ruins of a small temple whose artifacts have been scattered about in private collections and museums. Ironically there is a magic ring, a tablet, and a coffin among others, true and false. As the writings turn up as the game continues it seems that there was once a power-play going on between an elder vampire and a purported inconnu, to date no one awake today knows the result of their shadow war other than the fact that neither have turned up in centuries.

The tablet is a map to the coffin, the ring is the key to the coffin, and the coffin?

A prison, a gateway, a time capsule, a trap?

Think Ivo Shandor from ghostbusters, he's mentioned and clearly some major things when down, and there are traces all over the city but no one knows the whole story or what actually happened.

Or the Maltese Falcon, no one actually knows anything, yet multiple groups are expending massive efforts in the shadows to confirm or block the truth. Sometimes it is peoples belief in a McGuffin that is what makes it powerful, not it's actuality.

Alternatively if you've seen the movie "Now you see me" the players start to get missions from an unknown source offering some secrets or exclusive membership, but those missions are undermining the prince in subtle ways that the players can't see.... until they're in to deep.
Joined WotC Forums Feb 2004, watched it die on Nov 5th ~12:18 Oct 2015
Rest in pieces.

Archives of the WotC forums

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »