Author Topic: Campaign Rules Questions and Chargen  (Read 25952 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Rules Questions and Chargen
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Spiffy Eberron spherical world map!  (Scroll down and expand the + spoilers!)
Sweet. :)

How much can I expect the campaign to adjust to my level progression?  I don't want to be gimped if I try to stay home for a month or few to make items or learn powers via power stones.  (I know that time limits exist for good reason; else, I'd be arbitrarily powerful.)  For example, if I take a level's worth of XP and spend it on crafting or research or appending my repertoire, should I expect to face foes of my now-lower ECL or my would-be higher ECL?
Welll.... since you and Phae are both going to be playing through similarly-powered encounters in parallel, unless you both take the time concurrently, it'll be harder than normal to adjust the difficulty.  However, since at a given ECL you'll be facing some amount of above-ECL and below-ECL encounters, with experience being a river my guess is that you'll be fine.  Lol.

Adjust warbeast stats as needed.  I must know pricing before I can buy it.
OK, so going back to the question of whether you can train your AC as a warbeast, I happened upon this and am somewhat convinced by Maat Mons's argument.  Thoughts?

Magebred War Mules (self trained) are quite the bargain at 12G after Mercantile!
See above per warbeast.

Can Magebred be applied to Magical Beasts?  The Handle Animal Guide says so, but I can't find the ruling for this.  I want to make my Corollax less squishy.
No, it only applies to animals.

What would I need to do to learn how to Magebreed animals, thus making them Magebred?
Well for one, you need to belong to House Vadalis.  Other than that I'm not sure, and I'll have to look into it.

What mapping software will we use for area maps and combat grids?  Google Docs can do this in ASCII text, however crude.
I generally use powerpoint for combat grids, and find area maps where I need them.

Can shapesand make things with moving parts, like gears?
No.

As an Erudite, can I use independent psionic research to learn a 'discipline' power at the same level a full Psion (or other manifester) could?  What about learning spells that are treated as powers due to Spell-to-Power?  Mind you, this costs more XP than learning a power via a power stone.  (I'd rule yes on powers but no on spells.)
Yes, no.

How dangerous is it to bring an extradimensional space into another extradimensional space?  The rules aren't clear on this.  (For example, what happens if I bring a Heward's Handy Haversack into a rope trick?)
I play that the only problem is with a bag of holding and a portable hole, which is the only one explicitly mentioned.

Are we using infinite-use power stones which can lead to power stone recharge?
No.

May we allow any psionic buffs to be made permanent with incarnate?  It is 500XP per power level.  Same question for permanency and spells.
Only the given spells/powers.  The 2E Permanency was 8th-level, could be used on almost anything, and was nearly the best spell in the game.  Too broken.

I'll finish the rest of these later.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
The Warbeast template seems contradictory.  The flavor text says a Warbeast is bred into existence, but the "Creating a Warbeast" says it's a template that can be added to any Animal/Beast/Vermin that isn't already 'war trained.'  Crunch overrides fluff, I assume.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
The Warbeast template seems contradictory.  The flavor text says a Warbeast is bred into existence, but the "Creating a Warbeast" says it's a template that can be added to any Animal/Beast/Vermin that isn't already 'war trained.'  Crunch overrides fluff, I assume.

Yes, but in that context "creating" and "added" are both in reference to a DM's creation of a monster.  You "add" the abilities of the template to the base monster, just like you would with any other template.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Percy, it's your call.  I've always run it as, "You can train any Animal not already trained for war as a Warbeast."

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »
Percy, it's your call.  I've always run it as, "You can train any Animal not already trained for war as a Warbeast."

I think it's just simpler and less broken to not allow training.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 07:45:53 PM »
If you don't allow animals to be trained as Warbeasts, account for that in difficulty!

Also, how could I learn to breed animals to become Warbeasts?  It doesn't seem that hard, nor anywhere as specific as Magebred.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:33:53 AM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
Next!

For powers that are based on spells with expensive components/focuses, do the psionic versions have these components or focuses?  For example, does psionic divination have a material component cost because the spell version does?  The power version doesn't explicitly list one.  (I say no because of the clause, "<power> works like <spell> except as noted here.")
Correct, though spells that you acquire with StP retain their components (assuming I'm not forgetting a rule that says otherwise).

May we make psionic fly into an hour/level or a 10min/level power?  Right now, there's no great reason to use it when the spell verison is better.
Sure, we'll bump to 10min/level.

Is there a hard limit on the number of times I can reroll a single roll?  For example, can I use second chance and fate of one and the Luck Domain power on the same roll?
I don't see why not.  Is there a precedent for such a limit?

Does greater concealing amorpha block line of effect since I have total concealment?
From the SRD, we have "Line of Effect: A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight."  So no.

If I totally submerge an acorn of far travel in quintessence, does this mean I can use a single acorn forever?  Does it prevent the acorn from working?
It prevents the acorn from working, because it's no longer in your timestream.

Illusory script seems way too powerful for a L3 spell.  It basically means I can make a giant banner that says, "Drop naked!" and have it affect everyone I don't like.  For HOURS.  Also, why wouldn't everyone who could use this on their shops or newspapers or written articles to force people to pay them money?
Well, the person has to intentionally attempt to read the script.  Just having it be present isn't enough.  But either way, I think you're correct.  Let's do without the spell.

Do stat tomes stack, up to +5 pre-epic?  (Normally no, but I'd rule so.)  If this is included, I can see people actually making them intead of having to wait until epic to make a +5 tome due to XP loss.
No, they don't stack.

Do you rule that stat bonuses from tomes and wishes stack?  Both are normally inherent bonuses, but I'd probably let them stack.  What say you?
They don't stack either, but you don't have to do wish-stat-boosting in the same sitting.

Does telekinesis and its psionic version affect incorporeal creatures?  It's no [Force] descriptor, but the ability to grapple ghosts seems too cool to disallow!  What say you? I'm okay with that.

Since you changed guidance of the avatar to treat the roll as a natural 20, does that stack with divine insight (Spell Compendium 70) since divine insight grants an insight bonus on a skill check?
Yes.

Finally, what else is there to discuss before I submit my updated preliminary character sheet?  Without animal pricing, I can't do a full purchase list, but I can show my prospective build and story.
  The only thing with pricing is the warbeast, and we went over that.  You're probably fine now.

Dragons of Eberron has the epic city of Io'lokar, which I've dubbed the "Epic City of Indifference."  There's an entire neighborhood devoted to L20+ characters, and the notion that they seem to be doing mundane tasks themselves instead of, y'know, using magic (which everyone in the city seems to have) feels absurd to me.  Must take some epic-level brainwashing not to care enough to use your own magic talents to improve your lot in life when simply sweeping the street manually will do.  Also, feels much like Zeal from Chrono Trigger if they ever got a malificent ruler, or Shangri-la from Earth's myths.
Yeah, maybe they do it to build character on the path of enlightenment?  Or it's poorly-thought-out.  Either one.

Should psionic charm and psionic dominate be augmentable to affect Constructs as well?  (Currently, Constructs and Living Constructs are immune to both.  Good for me if we keep it that way!)
Constructs are immune.

Normally the feat Auction Surge requires 2 action points to activate, but the section on action points says I can only use 1 AP per round.  How much does Action Surge cost?
Actually what it says is that you can only spend AP once in a round, but it can be one or more.  So ActSurge costs 2 as normal.

Can I use psychic reformation to swap feats gained from wondrous locations?  If so, what are the limits?
Yes, but only among other valid feats you could have gained from the given location.

Normally Warforged can't wear armor because their body is armor.  I find this notion stupid and say that only the outermost armor's effects apply.  (But see the next question.)  What say you?

I normally also say that each creature can wear one suit of body armor plus one robe which is in the 'about the body' slot.  What say you?
You can wear armor and a robe.  But warforged can't wear armor unless they take Unarmored Body.

Psionic contingency is vague on how many PP I can spend on the companion power, or even if I must spend PP to manifest the companion power.  The only listed limit is the power must be no more than 1/3 your manifester level for psionic contingency to a max of power level 6.  (I normally limit psi contingency by PP, not power level, so as to avoid confusion or the legalese that I can spend a stupidly high amount of PP, or virtual PP for psi-like abilities, on this contingent ability.)
It's pretty clear that you have to manifest the power as normal, and yes we can cap it to spending 2/3 your ML in pp.  How's that sound?

Do contingency and psionic contingency have anything preventing me from making the contingent trigger, "When I want to"?  For example, "Teleport me home when I want to."
  Nope.  I use stuff like that all the time.

Does a Planar Shepherd's Planar Bubble affect objects, too?  A Fernian Planar Shepherd may be trying to innocently sing, "We Didn't Start the Fire" just by walking around.  (Bye, bye combustibles if so!)
It affects objects if the planar traits affect objects.

Speaking of planes, how will I know which planes are remote or coterminous throughout the campaign?  (Eberron Campaign Setting starting on page 92 has sections on what happens when planes are close or remote.)
  DC 15 Knowledge (The Planes) at any given time will tell you proximity.

If a metaphysical item doesn't cast a spell or manifest a power, is its caster level a prereq for making it?  (It was ruled not in 3.0 and Pathfinder, but was lost in translation.)
Yes.

For metaphysical items, are we having designated slots as in 3.5 (boots, rings, belt, etc.), or a generic number of attuned slots, Frank & K style?  (Starts on page 255 at the bottom under "Eight Item Limit.")
Let's go with normal slots.

What are your thoughts on the Wish Economy?  (Page 268 has a small snippet.  In short, use planar binding to bind Efreet and get wishes as the binder pleases.)
I think it's irrelevant at this point, since you're level 1.  But I'd rather stay away from it, since it's rather poorly defined.  Most of the alternative currencies have minimal explanation and I don't feel like working out fantasy economics in detail.

For running businesses, are we using 3.5's rules that state, "The ultimate blacksmith is in the wilderness, in the Volcano of Doom," or Frank & K's system, where the most profitable merchants are in large trade cities?  (Page 147 in that doc for businesses)
Eberron is relatively advanced when it comes to mercantile stuff like that.  Even if someone like the Ultimate Blacksmith is in a remote area, chances are there will be Lightning Rail or Airship access to him.

Can my off-duty thralls manage my business?
You can have thralls and believers manage your business, sure.

Do coins have weight?  Normally, it's 50 coins per pound but I've almost always ignored that.
They have a virtual weight which lends gravity to the situation.  Other  than that, no. (sorry for bad puns)

Do you rule that you still need cover to use the Hide skill?  If so, expect more Rogues and stealthers to carry tower shields!
Or concealment.

Are we nixing the spell starmantle and the item Starmantle Cloak from Book of Exalted Deeds?  A DC15 Reflex save to halve or negate HP damage is too easy.
Yeah.

Can I use secret page to add spells to my spellbook that I couldn't normally access?  For example, could I add time stop to a spellbook via secret page if I've never encountered the printing before?  What would the skill check and DC on that be if it's possible?
No.

Do Ur-Priests exist?  Can PCs become one?  Same with Beholder Mages.
Yes, yes, no.

Are we using taint in this campaign?  If so, expect tained Undead to have infinite spells and PP.
No.

If I level so rapidly that I can't visit my trainer between levels, how much do I owe?
Your trainer?

If you were rewriting the ACF Spontaneous Divination (Complete Champion), how would you fully phrase it?
As it is now, except add the words "which is on your wizard spell list" after "of the divination school".

If I use Empower or/and Maximize on a summon spell, does that affect the damage each summonling does?
No.

Do you allow Invisible Spell?  (It's hard not to break something with that!)
  Yes.  I love Invisible Spell to pieces.

Does Chain Spell affect rays?  I'd prefer it.  Same thing with Chain Power.
Not unless they have a Target line.

If I apply Empower and Maximize to the same ability, do we still roll the Empowered part, or say it's 1.5x the Maximized result?
You get Max + .5*variable.

What are your thoughts on the Tippyverse Citizen Advancement Program?  It's an expensive, yet very quick, way to possibly turn L1 weaklings into LX beings!
  It doesn't work, there's no challenge so no XP.

Are there metapsionic rods like there are metamagic rods?  How do we determine the cost?  Must I still expend my focus?  (I'd say no to focus expenditure.  Metamagic rods have all the goodness of on-the-fly use 3/day with none of the downsides, save one rod/spell and only 3 daily uses.)  The Magic Item Compendium 232 has rules on making a psionic version of any magic item.
Yes there are Metapsi rods, and no you don't have to expend focus.  They cost the same as the equivalent metamagic rod.  And there is no such thing as a Linked Metapsi rod because that would be Haxx0rz broken.

What are your thoughts on a Planar Shepherd of Fernia eventually getting free wishes via Wild Shape: Efreet?
Nope.  You have to pay xp for those.

Is Beholder Mage allowed for PCs?  (I'd use a double polymorph any object once I could get access to the spell, or metamorphosis/polymorph with Metamorphic Transfer.)
already answered above, no.

Can an Incantatrix still cast spells in his repertoire from his school he opposes from going Incantatrix?  The 3.0 Ix and the 3.5 Red Wizard are this way.
No, it's pretty clear in the 3.5 Inx that they can't.  Not like an Inx needs the help, you know?

Can I use an Incantatrix's Cooperative Metamagic to apply metamagic to psionic powers?  What about Metamagic Effect?
No and No.

Can I use psychic reformation or retraining to swap out feats gained by wondrous locations, like Iron Will from an O Hole?
Already answered.

The feat Metamagic School Focus gives me 3 daily uses of -1 slot adjustment for metamagic.  Can I apply 2 or 3 to the same spell, to a minimum of +0 slot level?  For example, can I use 3 daily uses of this feat to Heighten a spell by 3 levels once per day?  (This is most handy in early entry or for reserve feats.)
No. Once per feat per spell.

Arcane Thesis normally reduces the cost of each metamagic feat by 1, to a total minimum metamagic cost of +0.  Is this still true?  For example, can I use Arcane Thesis, Invisible Spell, and Split Ray on enervation to cast it from a L4 slot?
Yes.

Is there a psionic equivalent of Arcane Thesis?  If not, could we make it?  How would it work?
No.

Can I use shadow evocation and shadow conjuration to bypass XP or focuses or material components on spells that are mimicked?  (The spells aren't truly cast, merely mimicked.)
Yes.

Any objections to purposely disbelieving a spell that shadow evocation or shadow conjuration mimics?
Nope, not if you cast it.

How powerful would I need to be to set up my own society in the midst of the wilderness (as far as practical from other nation-states or city-states) and make my own metaphysically-powered mini-Tippyverse?  Resetting metaphysical boon traps of food, water, flavor (prestidigitation), unseen servants and skeletons harvesting plant growth bumper crops...
Pretty powerful.  The high bar for the Tippyverse is Teleport Circle.  You could theoretically do without that, but you'd need a large farm of xp or a lot of artificer minions to do all the traps.  Also, you'd need some sort of defenses.  The Landlord feat might help you with this, but it's all hella expensive.

Are there any official means to grant everyone in a city continuous see invisibility or other buff?  I know of mythals, but they're very expensive and probably epic.  I want to do this by L12 at latest.
  Well... you could do resetting traps and let everyone take a hit from them when it's gonna run out.  Theoretically, you could craft an enormous Rune Circle of see invisibility, if you extrapolate the sizing, but that will also be hideously expensive.  A 10-foot-radius rune circle of SI would cost 3k, and it seems it's a linear extrapolation of doubling radius = doubling cost.  So you could get a 500-foot-radius rune circle of SI for 150k.  Not too bad, though you'd need more than that to get a whole town.  Invisibility Purge torches are even worse... a single one costs 60k for a 25-foot radius.

May I go dumpster diving for the lowest level versions of spells?  This is especially useful for my Artificer thrall so I can learn these spells as powers.  How often should I expect NPCs to use these lower-than-usual level versions of spells?
Sure.  And very rarely.

How picky are you on how I fill prereqs?  For example, the Planar Shepherd requires the Wild Shape class feature, but the divine minion template grants Wild Shape as a racial ability, though as if I were a L11 Druid.  Also, the River Spirit Folk (Unapproachable East) provides Trackless Step as a racial ability, but the Arcane Hierophant requires it as a class feature.
Racial abilities in place of class features are fine.

If I lack the specified prereq but have something better, do I still qualify?  For example, if I have Improved Evasion but not Evasion, do I still qualify for something that requires Evasion?  What about if something requires Slippery Mind but I have racial immunity to [Mind-Affecting] abilities?
  How do you get Improved Evasion without getting Evasion?  Either way, I would count IE as E for prereqs.  I wouldn't allow immunity to mind-affecting for Slippery Mind, though.  So I'll say it's case-by-case.

Let's assume I want to use animate dead to make someone my loyal skeletal or zombie minion.  What happens to the creature's soul?  (I've heard conflicting reports as to whether I just use the body or trap the soul with it.)
  Generally we'll assume that the soul has passed on, unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Is making Undead 'tuh EVULZ?'  If so, under what circumstances and why?
Yes, spells which make undead have the [Evil] descriptor.  If you want to do stuff with non-evil undead, Eberron was nice enough to provide the Deathless.

Complete Mage has a wondrous location called the Metamagic Storm, which grants the user an extra metamagic feat for 1 year for which he meets all prereqs.  May we make a version with Metapower: Linked Power/synchronicity?
No.  Linked Power you can take as a feat normally, but it's too powerful for other access (like a rod or Metapower Storm).

Are Knowstones legal?  They're from "Dragon," cost as much as a Pearl of Power, and grant the user a specific extra spell known.
  Yes.

Can a StP Erudite learn an Artificer's infusions?  (They normally aren't spells, but it's your call.)
Nope.

Poisons and grafts are prohibitively expensive by their normal prices.  Are you changing these prices?  If so, how?  (I normally say poison costs 10% of current per dose.  I've never delved much into grafts, but they're stupidly expensive!)
I haven't looked into this very much.  Will waiting on an answer to this prevent you from being ready?

Do you rule that inherent bonuses (and similar permanent bonuses) grant bonus skill points retroactively?  (Normally not, but it would be cool!)
No.

How do you feel about the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle?  (That is, cast embrace the dark chaos to trade a feat for another specific feat, then shun the dark chaos to change that specific feat into any feat you desire.)
As an optimizer I love it.  Of course... :)  We'll see when it becomes available how I feel about it, no one's ever tried it in my games.

Do you limit potions to L3 spells and below?  (I'd prefer not, since that feels awkward.)  What about limiting wands to L4 spells and below?  (Dorjes have no such restriction.)
Yes to both.  Otherwise those prestige classes are useless...

Do you require I learn 4 separate version of protection from alignment and magic circle against alignment, for Law/Chaos/Evil/Good?
As StP, you mean?  Yes.  They're separate spells.

Protection from alignment and magic circle against alignment are pretty spiffy ways to prevent [Charm] and [Compulsion] effects.  They can provide immunity to such effects from level 1.  That seems much.  By far.  Especially if I can be warded against all 4 alignment corners.  What do you say, though?
  Well, since you have to learn each individually and cast them each individually, I'm okay with it.  It's a pretty sizable expenditure, and there are other easy ways to get protection from that stuff.

Are contingent effects (like contingency) omniscient for purposes of triggering conditions?
  Depends on the trigger.  We'll discuss them on a case-by-case basis (I won't be an asshole and let you write an invalid trigger and waste your spell).

Does the AC bonus from the chahar-aina and dastana (Oriental Adventures 76) stack with armor bonuses to AC from metaphysical abilities such as mage armor and inertial armor?  If I don't get the AC bonus, do I still benefit from enhancement bonuses to AC (the '+')?  What about other properties like Fortification?
Yes and yes.

When using the Dancing Mongoose and Raging Mongoose maneuvers, must I make a single attack or full attack in that round for these maneuvers to work?  They say, "After initiating this boost, you can make one/two additional attack(s) with each weapon you wield (to a maximum of two/four extra attacks if you wield two or more weapons). These extra attacks are made at your highest attack bonus for each of your respective weapons."  After all, if I make 0 attacks in the round otherwise, Dancing Mongoose gives me 1 additional attack.
You can make 0 attacks.

Does Able Learner still require I be human or doppleganger?  (Changelings are both.)  Does it also grant all current skills as class skills?
Changeling is fine.  You can also do it with Human Heritage (since we have flaws).  And no, I think we shouldn't do that.

What's the minimum AC bonus for Dodge?  Now it's HD/3.  Should it be (HD/3)+1?
Huh?  I thought we weren't using my houserules.

Simulcarum is quite the potent spell.  What are the limits on what creatures I can duplicate, especially since my Spell-to-Power Eruditeness (or even a basic spell component pouch) lets me duplicate any creature within the CL limit?
I'm going to suggest something here, but if it ends up not working out in play then we'll tweak as necessary.  Let's try this: you can make any generic creature that you can identify with the appropriate Knowledge check.  Generic also means non-templated.  For more complexity, you have to have more specific knowledge of such a creature, which you can acquire with divination spells (I don't have a good handle yet on what type of information you need, but it'll probably be based on the Scry modifiers).

Blade barrier confuses me.  DDO makes this spell into a ring of damaging blades around the caster that moves with the caster, but the 3.5 version seems like an unmoving wall of blades.  How are you running this spell?
You can do either.  If it's a ring, it moves with the caster.  If it's a wall, it's stationary.

Can a body outside body clone use SLAs?  Psionic powers?  Psi-like abiliites?  Supernaturals?  Maneuvers?  Stances?
  No spells, SLA's, Su's, powers, or Ps's.  Ex maneuvers, yes.

I heard I could use Spellcraft or/and detect magic to ID metaphysical items.  If this is true, how does it work?
  You can use Spellcraft and Detect Magic to id the school of a magic item as normal.  Not sure how you identify them otherwise...

May we use the SRD version of the Torc of Power Preservation?
As opposed to?  I generally go with SRD versions of things.

Can i use Supernatural Transformation on my psionic manifesting since manifesting is a psi-like ability, and with transparency, a a spell-like ability?  If I do, can I still use an Incanatrix's Metamagic Effect or/and Cooperative Metamagic with my powers?
  No, manifesting is not a psi-like ability, just like spellcasting is not an SLA.

How do you feel about componentless wishes and other expensive abilities?  Dweomerkeeper and Planar Shepherd (Fernia) and Metamorphic Transfer (Zodar) can get me free wishes.
As I said, if you get Wish as an SLA, you have to pay the XP cost.  I'm going to extend that to Dwk (which I don't normally do) as well.

Let's assume I change forms into a creature that has an ability usable X/day.  I use all the charges of this ability.  I change forms into it again later that day.  Do I get all the charges back?  (Most notable with shapechange and limited use supernatural abilities.)
  When you shapechange, you become the you version of whatever creature.  You can't change into a different you version of the creature because you're still you.  The only exception to this is that you can turn into particular creatures for visual purposes, but swapping between two Zodars you still only get 1 wish.

Am I at all racing Phaedrus or/and his posse?  Will I encounter him?  If so, how will it work?
No, you guys are independent.  I suppose it's possible I'll change my mind later, but my goal is to have you be separate.

Does my feat that grants INT instead of CON to HP also apply if I have no CON score?
Yes.

How important is it to track mundane ammo?  (Arrows, bolts, shuriken...)
Not, unless it becomes important due to circumstances (for example, you're stranded on a desert island and have no source of new ammo).

Can I use an Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect on Artificer infusions?  Cooperative Metamagic?  Infusions technically aren't spells, but Metamagic Effect applies to any ongoing magical effect.
Yes, no.

Item alteration (Eberron Campaign Setting 113) lets me change the bonus type of an item, excluding sacred or profane.  There are no other listed limits.  Thus, with enough item alterations and items, I can have arbitrarily high stats.  (Get a bunch of unslotted items that grant +2 INT, for example.  Persist item alteration via Incantatrix or another means, then, vwa-la!  I'm the smartest man alive!)
No, you're still generally limited by the types of bonuses that can apply to a particular thing as per the SRD.

Is Circle Magic banned?
Yes.  Circle Magic is all FR (even the technically core Red Wizard is based on FR).

As a Thrallherd, how can I use my Believers?  (They're low-level NPCs, the equivalent of Leadership's followers.)  I assume they're contacts, artisans, and other disposable low-profile minions.
Yes.  I'm sure you'll come up with fun uses for them.  :)

Surprise!
  Rock on.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 03:03:23 AM »
Grafts: They don't apply yet.  Still, look over grafts and tell me what you think they're worth.  (Once I get an Artificer thrall, they may become relevant.)

Warforged & Armor: If I go Dragonborn, do I lose my composite plating?  (I think so.)  If so, can I wear separate armor?

Torc of Power Preservation: Magic Item Compendium nerfed it.  Hard.  It's like 5/day now.

Psionic Contingency: Cap the companion power at 2/3 my ML in PP.

Can I use Spellcraft or/and detect magic in place of identify to ID items?  If so, what are the rules?

How can I learn to breed Warbeasts?  It doesn't seem -that- hard!

Must I provide components (XP, material, focus) for spells and powers that normally require them, even if these abilities are Sp/Ps/Su?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:05:09 AM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »
Grafts: They don't apply yet.  Still, look over grafts and tell me what you think they're worth.  (Once I get an Artificer thrall, they may become relevant.)
  Will do.

Warforged & Armor: If I go Dragonborn, do I lose my composite plating?  (I think so.)  If so, can I wear separate armor?
Yes and yes.  You can also still take feats like Adamantine Plating.

Torc of Power Preservation: Magic Item Compendium nerfed it.  Hard.  It's like 5/day now.
  Yeah, SRD.

Psionic Contingency: Cap the companion power at 2/3 my ML in PP.
  Good, that's what I said.

Can I use Spellcraft or/and detect magic in place of identify to ID items?  If so, what are the rules?
No.

How can I learn to breed Warbeasts?  It doesn't seem -that- hard!
Well, it'll depend on the life cycle of the animal you're trying to breed.  But, what you can certainly do is buy a male and a female Warbeast and then breed them directly like that.

I'll still need to figure out what the cost of them is, though.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 04:49:04 AM »
Warbeast mules shouldn't be -that- expensive.  Still using MMII costs for them?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 04:56:45 AM »
Warbeast mules shouldn't be -that- expensive.  Still using MMII costs for them?

No. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
Buy an Artificer's Monocle from the MiC. That's exactly what it lets you do.
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
Training: The Apprentice feat says I must pay 100G per level of my apprenticeship.  What if I gain levels so quickly that I don't visit my master between levels?  Do I lose my apprenticeship?

As for a city-wide buff system, homebrew is probably best.  What about a system where there's a central 'server' with many 'nodes?'  The server tracks which effects to distribute and to whom, and the nodes are the dispensers.

I NEED THESE PRICES BEFORE I FINISH MY CHARACTER:
-Fleshraker (egg and mature)
-Warbeast Fleshraker (egg and mature)

-Mule (young)
-Warbeast Mule (young and mature)

-Riding Dog (young)
 -Warbeast Riding Dog (young and mature)

-Wolf (young and mature)
-Warbeast Wolf (young and mature)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:24:47 PM by Endarire »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Training: The Apprentice feat says I must pay 100G per level of my apprenticeship.  What if I gain levels so quickly that I don't visit my master between levels?  Do I lose my apprenticeship?
Since this is fancy-schmancy Eberron, we can say that there's a way to send your mentor a check or something.  Western Union: Khorvaire edition.

As for a city-wide buff system, homebrew is probably best.  What about a system where there's a central 'server' with many 'nodes?'  The server tracks which effects to distribute and to whom, and the nodes are the dispensers.
That could be interesting.  Homebrew something up, if you like, and I'll vet it.

I NEED THESE PRICES BEFORE I FINISH MY CHARACTER:
-Fleshraker (egg and mature)
-Warbeast Fleshraker (egg and mature)

-Mule (young)
-Warbeast Mule (young and mature)

-Riding Dog (young)
 -Warbeast Riding Dog (young and mature)

-Wolf (young and mature)
-Warbeast Wolf (young and mature)

So, let's go with a flat 150gp/HD price increase for a warbeast.

Fleshraker is the same CR as a hippogriff, so I'll go with similar pricing.  2000gp for an egg, 3000gp for a live young.  A warbeast fleshraker would then cost 2600gp for an egg, 3600 for a live young.  Does that seem reasonable?

A young riding dog would be 100gp, while a warbeast riding dog would be 400 (young) or 450 (mature).

A wolf costs 50gp more than a riding dog, because it's faster, can trip, and is less tameable.

A young mule costs 5gp.  A warbeast mule costs 455 or 458.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
Mature wolves have slightly worse stats than riding dogs.  (Both can trip.)

It's hard to say whether a hippogriff and fleshraker should cost the same.  My first thought was that a fleshraker should be slightly cheaper since it can't fly, but it's a killer on the ground.  How'zbout a 10% discount on one of them?

Magebred normally just doubles the price of an animal.  How does that interact with the new Warbeast pricing?

"Western Union" is House Orien.  They specialize in mail.  Also, regarding training, what happens if I go on a mission and gain 2 levels?  Must I still pay for training even though I didn't use my trainer?

Any objections to starting as a member of House Phiarlan?

If I were a member of House V, what sorts of discounts would I get on training and trained creatures?

Complete Arcane has rules for Spellstitching.  If I have my Artificer thrall do it once I become a Psiolich, could he be the one to Spellstitch the spells onto me, even though he can't cast spells?  Could he UMD them?  Would he need another person to cast the spells?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
Mature wolves have slightly worse stats than riding dogs.  (Both can trip.)
Oh, I missed that (it's kinda hidden in the entry).  OK, they're the same price then.

It's hard to say whether a hippogriff and fleshraker should cost the same.  My first thought was that a fleshraker should be slightly cheaper since it can't fly, but it's a killer on the ground.  How'zbout a 10% discount on one of them?
That was my exact thought process.  :)  I figured it was a push.

Magebred normally just doubles the price of an animal.  How does that interact with the new Warbeast pricing?
I would say Magebred is x2 for a normal animal, x1.5 for a warbeast.

"Western Union" is House Orien.  They specialize in mail.  Also, regarding training, what happens if I go on a mission and gain 2 levels?  Must I still pay for training even though I didn't use my trainer?
No, just one level's worth.

Any objections to starting as a member of House Phiarlan?
Yes and no.  You can belong to the Guild of Entertainers or whatever, but you can't be a member of The House without some House blood, and as a warforged you can't do that.

If I were a member of House V, what sorts of discounts would I get on training and trained creatures?
  Again, that's complicated.  You can join the Handler's Guild no problem (assuming you leave the GoEntertainers).  Unless this is for a thrallion?  If the latter, then it's easy.  Stuff is on page 90 of Dragonmarked.

Complete Arcane has rules for Spellstitching.  If I have my Artificer thrall do it once I become a Psiolich, could he be the one to Spellstitch the spells onto me, even though he can't cast spells?  Could he UMD them?  Would he need another person to cast the spells?
Interestingly, Spellstitched says Wizard or Sorcerer only.  But I would say an Arty could UMD it like normal, since it seems to function nearly indentically to making an item.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
I will uPdate my story then.

I would most likely be part of the animal handler guild with independent shows, assuming that was allowed.

What sort of discount on animals  and animal training would I get for being a guild member?  Any Magebred secrets?

(I made a world similar to Eberron with trade houses and intrigue.  There, people are initiated into the houses as the house leaders see fit.  Birth is needed only to be at the very top, if that. Thanks for the education!)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:35:28 AM by Endarire »

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »
How much downtime should I expect, especially for crating and psionic research?  I would hate to expect to need a month to craft but be pressured into getting much less!  (Current campaign blues.)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
How much downtime should I expect, especially for crating and psionic research?  I would hate to expect to need a month to craft but be pressured into getting much less!  (Current campaign blues.)

I'll guarantee you some downtime.  I can't promise that it will be regular, but it'll be there.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Downtime: How much will I be able to control when I get downtime, or how much I get?

Reposting this from above: What sort of discount on animals  and animal training would I get for being a guild member?  What would I know about making Magebred creatures?

Can I craft partially-charged items, like wands/staves?

As a StP Erudite, can I learn metamagicked spells, like Extended fire shield?  If so, how does this interact with metapsionic abilities?

Can others pay the research costs of spells and psionic powers instead of me?  (Probably not.  Wanna check.

How can I create/animate a Deathless creature?  Do effects which bolster Undead creatures (Dread Necromancer8, Corpsecrafter...) also apply to such Deathless?

If I don't rely on an Artificer to make me power stones of spells, how then can I get power stones of lower level-than-normal spells, like spells from the Telflammar Shadowlord list?

What's this 'thrallion?'  I lack Dragonmarked.

How are we handling LA buyoff?

Thrall-wise:  Let's assume I tell my Artificer thrall (or whoever) to take the day off and not adventure with me.  Do his minions (constructs, animal companions, Undead pets) go with him?

Does the Plane of Shadow extend into Eberron's cosmology?  If so, does this mean I can visit other campaign settings with it?  (Normally I can, as per Manual of the Planes.)

In general, do all abilities which affect ML equally affect CL due to magic-psionics transparency?

How do NPCs gain XP/levels?  I assume you just give them levels when the plot demands it.

Considering House Cannith's affiliation with the Warforged, would I be allowed in?  What would I need to do?

PS: Alamar's Theme - From World of Xeen
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:14:48 AM by Endarire »