Author Topic: The Forgotten Forge  (Read 16327 times)

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Forge
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
"I wouldn't know much about our climbing needs..." Thankful for the tight strap on his pack, Marrlow tries to stay close to the group without seeming too conspicuous. His House didn't often seek to come down this far, and there were of course the stories of thieves and murderers abound that served as his only knowledge of this portion of the great city. Still, he kept an eye out for anything that might be a rare valuable, or something of use otherwise barred from sales in the higher markets...

Cumulo is a little uneasy about this area, not having slummed quite so... slummy before.  His fingers beat a quiet tattoo against his bracers as he traces the metal studs forming his holy symbol.  That an obviously irritated monster of a man could possibly seem intimidating couldn't be farther from his mind.

(click to show/hide)

"How much for the rope, my friend?" Marl says. Looking intently at the goblin with his reptillian eyes.

Also, it should be noted that Marl cares little for his belongings. He is so small almost no-one would be able to reach his pockets without bending over, which would seem highly suspicious.

"This fine rope?" The goblin reached down and pulled up one end of some dirty rope. It gave a Marl a look up and down, as if sizing him up and then spoke again, "For you good friend, I can part with it for 30 coppers." He says with a smile, exposing some not so pleasant teeth.

Heh, the rope is worth much less friend. But I will pay it if you can give me some advice as well. Marl says, grinning, revealing his neither so pleasant draconic teeth.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
The goblin folds his arms and squints his eye a bit, "Advice?"

"We want to go down below, I heard there was good scrapping down there. How far down can we get from here?"

A glint of mischief takes up residence in the goblin's eyes as he replies, "Below, hmm? It has been awhile since I have gone there, and my memory is not what it used to be..."

As Marl and the goblin continue their discussion, Cumulo's eyes are drawn to a cloaked figure across the chamber. It appears to be observing the group, but as the crowd shifts, his view is blocked for a moment and the figure is gone the next.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

"It's a tragedy what age can do to the mortal mind. It is why I have become fascinated with metal..." Marllow leans over near Marl, trying to keep track of his pockets and pack. He had some soot and grime from the forges, but still was clad cleanly, which worried him. "Metal last so much longer than memories. Or people. Why not rid yourself of memories from below, memories of a few strangers asking about your rope? We could take those off your hands for something more substantial..." Marllow's right hand hangsout in front of him as he leans in, with five silver just barely showing in his grip. "What can we unburden you from, good friend?"

At first he appears to perk up, apparently pleased with the proceedings, but seeming to realize something, his face turns to a slight glare, "My burdens are few, but my needs are many...both are expensive..."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
Not having realised that the warforged is intending to bribe the goblin just yet. Marl continues.

Well I hear there's a lot of useful stuff down there for a salesman such as yourself. We might bring some of that up for you if you help us.

The goblin appeared to lighten up some as the kobold seemed to take over the converstation, "If I could remember how to get down there, what would stop me from going myself?"

walking up to the conversation with the goblin. Well it could be fear, plain old laziness, or just not worth the time for you. In any case we plan on going down there and if you help we may be able to help you out. If you don't help us then we definitely can't help you out.

"Humph, big folk, all the same, with their insults and empty promises," Replied the goblin with distain. The glare from before has returned, and his grubby arms have become crossed.

Ah yeah, the rascism of the big folk is something we could discuss for hours. Don't mind my travel companions, they are not used to us little ones. He leans in closer to whisper to the goblin: (I don't think Marl cares if you hear it, he'll apologise later)
(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
The little goblin scratches his chin in thought, until he speaks again, "15 before we go, as you say there could be dangers and you may not make it out. After you return we can discuss further compensation." He directs the comments towards Marl, but after finishing he looks towards Marllow expectantly.

A single gold piece comes from behind Marllow's back, and is added to the five silver he holds. He doesn't relinquish his grip yet, however, and indeed pulls his hand away from the cloth as if to leave. "Paying someone to give us work, when the work would consist of us compensating them? Does he take us to be foolish fobs out for an adventure? It's a shame; my House has no contacts this low, and I was hoping for some personal business expansion. I cannot, however, insult my House with such prospects." He speaks softly enough to ensure that it is a whisper to the goblin, and able to be heard by Marl. Both hands go into their respective pockets.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

With the mention of a House, people are starting to stare at the group. It also seems to agitate the goblin as he starts to shoo you away, "I will have nothing to do with any House's business, now go, our business is concluded." With that he starts to pack up his stuff. After he finishes, he heads deeper into the allyway.

That's one thing he still had yet to understand as a human. Though his kind had personal dislikes, none of them had the cowardice to run from these qualms like the more mortal-kin did. A slightly confused look on his face, probably misread by those seeing it, crossed his ace as he turned back to the group. "I apologize, I hadn't expected such resistance. I think I should refrain from diplomacy in the future..."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Oh well, let's look for that way down.

"It would probably be best if we stay in a group. I apologize again, should I have attracted any unwanted attention to ourselves." Marllow pulled his coat closed around himself, and adjusted the blast goggles on his forehead.

Big folk usually do that, don't feel bad. Marl says in a misguided attempt to cheer Marllow up.

Now, who has the map? Would be nice to know where we are heading.

He is a goblin. They are so far from enlightenment I doubt any of his kind could achieve it even if there were instructions. I'd check your coin purse and then lets follow that map.

The map shows four paths leading from the improv market, the one you came in, one to the left, one to the right, and the way the goblin went. To your misfortune, the maps ends but a short distance down each path.

Following him is probably a bad idea. So tails is left? Marl says as he flips a copper coin

(click to show/hide)

Well I guess it's tails, so let's go left first? Marl says as he starts to walk in that direction.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »
"I concur; so let's press on quickly enough." Marllow was beginning to feel as though this was not the place they particularly wanted to be, even in such a large group. He follows, his eyes open and ready.

Let's get going.

Cumulo follows behind, looking tough.

With little in the way of knowledge of this area, you proceed forward blindly. The path twists, turns, and branches off as if built to be confusing. Needless to say, after about ten minutes of exploring you all are thoroughly lost. It is at this point that Cumulo and Sumabah get an eerie feeling of foreboding events to come.

Something is wrong. In the pit of my stomach I feel it. Sumabah will slowly draw his over sized sword eying their surroundings warily.

Marl looks around as he remembers that he is focused, and draws his crossbow. While move to hide behind the nearest pile of rubble.

Marllow lets his hand fall loose. One hand went to his crossbow, taken off his belt lightly, the other went to his pocket with the screwdriver. "We shouldn't let paranoia get the better of us." He still remains on guard, but if there were attackers, better to not let them think there was a ready-foe. He slowly makes his way behind the sword-bearing teammate.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
Back from the way you came you can hear raised voices, "They went this way." "I can't wait to get my hands on these rich fools' purses, we will be able to feast for days!" A commanding voice pipes up, "I don't want another word from you lot, we may need all the edge we can get. You two, get up there so we can get a better view." With that the voices fade.

It sounds as if someone is about to be beaten and robbed. I suspect they may intend that to be us. Sumabah grips the handle of his sword a bit tighter.

Whispering to his teammates, he asks, "Should we continue onward, or meet them and surprise them?" At the same time, he seems to be hiding against nearby scrap as well as he could without practice.

(click to show/hide)

Cumulo responds "I say we spring their ambush on them, and overwhelm them with a display of power.  If we can frighten them to the core, they will certainly reconsider their criminal careers.

(click to show/hide)

After a moment there is some scratching sounds and a couple grunts of efforts coming above you. Not long after a pair of small wrinkled heads pop over the top, surprise was clear on their face as they called behind them, “Uh boss, I can see them…but they can see us too…” There is some cursing from the other side of the wall, followed by heavy foot falls.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 02:18:46 PM »
Marl will keep hiding in his corner, and delay his actions by 10 to see if anything comes around the corner to fight the group.

Hide
(click to show/hide)

Draw crossbow, ready an action to attack one of the roof-dwellers with his crossbow if aggression is instigated.

I'm assuming my charrie at least thinks he's hidden after his hide check.

The heavy foot falls continue to get closer until a brute of a bugbear and his two hobgoblin flunkies round the corner.

When Cumulo gets a clear view of the bugbear he unleashes his wave of fear.

The bugbear looks around wide eyed in fear, "Do you hear that?!"

The goblins and hobgoblins looks at him stupidly, "What is it boss?"

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Leave your criminal ways behind, while you still draw breath.  And don't even think of assaulting a priest of the silver flame again.

The bugbear starts stuttering incoherently. Meanwhile a fearful hobgoblin tried to get its leader's attention by shaking him, "Boss...what do we do?!"

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Yes! Give up your criminal ways. If you don't wish to surrender, come down here so I can beat you as your mother should have.
Ready an action to attack if any of them come in range.

Slightly confusedly, Marllow holds his action and his tongue, hoping his allies could diffuse the situation.

Marl keeps hiding, not thinking that he should do much intimidating. The one or two times he's tried that it ended in a lot of laughs, which is not what he wants right now. So he stays put and tightens the grip on his crossbow.

Panic stricken the big brute gives a cry of fear, turns and then flees.

Its cohorts stare wide eyed, apparently lost on what to do now.

(click to show/hide)

Your leader just decided to rethink his priorities.  I suggest you do the same before I'm forced to make an example.
Cumulo continues along the path, walking as if he hadn't been interrupted by anyone or anything.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

The closest hobgoblin, already stricken with fear, doesn't need to be told twice as he rushes off yelling as he goes, "Boss, wait up!" The others are close on their heels.

Once they're out of sight, Cumulo accelerates to a decent hustle

While I hope putting the fear of god into them will suffice, change from without is never as effective as change from within.  Best not to tempt them again, and let them internalize the lesson.

"Lesson or not, it was quick and cost effective." Marllow nods his head, indicating a newfound respect for his ally. "I agree; let us not tempt them further, and hurry along as best we can..."

You sure can be persuasive when you want to. Marl comes out from his hiding and struggles to keep up with his short legs. I hope you don't mind me hiding too much, but I'm really not the intimidating sort. I had my crossbow cocked and aimed at them all the time

The group moves on, taking twists and turns to a seemingly random order, still being no closer to knowing where they are.

Soon what little light was coming from the sky starts to fade, signaling the day coming to an end, just then a squeak of fear is audible from ahead.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
Crossbow still in hand, hidden under his cloak from their last encounter, Marllow gives the rest a look as if to confirm the sound's presence. When he sees a response, he slows his walk slightly, tightening the grip on the handle of his weapon.

Sumabah follows closely behind and prepares to strike with his sword, should any thing attack us.

As you round the corner you can just catch the sight of a small goblin before it goes running around the next bend, running in fear. It looks a little familiar.

Have we been here before or is that just the same goblin running away, could this be a new ambush then? Marl says as he walks closer to the wall and the shadows.

(click to show/hide)

You follow another few twists and turns, luckly there are no turn offs, when you hear a clatter and light thud up ahead.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

"These mazes are extensive. Half a wonder why none of the guilds have taken to mapping their passages out..." Marllow experiences the second time awkwardness has ever set in on him. The first was when he first came to the guild. He considered himself useless then too.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
Marl is not much for finding his way in these manufactured caverns, give me a natural cavern any day of the week. But here, bah, too much hewn stone. Lets find out what is up ahead? Marl Says as he sneaks forward.

Up around the corner you find a field of heavy debris. One of the large pieces of debris appears to be moving, but as it rolls over, the face of the goblin merchant is revealed. There is panic clear on his face as he cries in dismay, "Please don't hurt me! I didn't know they would attack you!"

"No, but it was by your insistence to not help that we were forced to wander into their feeble trap." Marllow didn't seem to be taking a particularly hostile position, though it occurred to him just after he said it how much like a veiled threat that sentence had seemed.

I think you owe us an explanation of how to get down, my friend. Marl says as he lowers his crossbow. We're not out to kill anybody, although I can't stop my bigger friends if they want to, we are just looking around.

Panic turns to hope with the outlet of salvation, "Anything to remain unharmed!"

Well, in that case, it should be fairly simple for you to help us find what we're looking for.  And then we'll be out of your hair - I'm sure if we hung around the area it would be bad for business.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
After actually being told where you are seeking, Skakan becomes quite relieved. He then reassures the group that he knows exactly where it is and eagerly urges you back the way you just came from. A couple turns later you come to an intersection, Skakan rushes down one of the passages you had elected not to take. As you hurry to keep up, you start to enter a total enclosed tunnel, that’s when you see the little goblin waiting for you by a large bundle of pipes. Skakan points out a narrow passage that leads to a staircase that descends deeper into the tower.

Well he looks trustworthy enough.

Thank you, Skakan.

Cumulo proceeds down the passage.
(click to show/hide)

"If this lead was any good, it would seem that the debt is paid. If it IS good, we wont forget that you did us this favor. Thank you... you may go about your way now, unless you have something else that could help us?"

Lets be on our way then, shall we?

(click to show/hide)

The little goblin gives a stiff nod and then breaks for it, not even looking back.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 02:31:42 PM »
He's nervous, but on the level.  For the moment, he's probably more worried about us than anyone else.  I'll take point.

Cumulo focuses on the sand around his arm, until the solid coating splits into a coil of long, metallic twine with a clamp on the end.  He lights a candle, then lowers it into the darkness as far as he can, looking at the path below.

(click to show/hide)

Seeing nothing particularly untoward, he continues down.

My eyes see well in the dark, I can scout ahead if you want me to. Marl suggests with a smile.

"I'll follow your lead, then."

With each step closer, the odor of mold and sewage becomes stronger, and you can hear liquid sounds increasing in volume. The light from the candle reveals a simply made tunnel, big enough for humans to pass single file. It descends 25' before coming to a landing and making a right turn. There also appears to be numerous cobwebs and bits of ragged cloth handing from the ceiling, which may obscure lighting.

Marl scouts 40 or so feet ahead of the rest of the group, keeping to the cover and shadow at the edge. He uses his darkvision (60ft) to spot any threads before they arrive, as well as keeping an eye on the group. He will pick up a piece of cobweb to find out whether he knows anything about it.

(click to show/hide)

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
The cobwebs stick to you, resisting your attempts to remove it from your hands, but otherwise appears to be just regular cobwebs.

Having reached the landing you can see the stairs continue for another 5' down before running into 10' of running water. There is a grate visible in the water to your right. It blocks passage that way. Every few seconds you can hear some mechanical grinding, a hiss and then a rush of water.

Marllow looks at the floor, ceiling, walls, listens intently every which way, and generally seems to be trying to analyze something...

(click to show/hide)

Marllow
(click to show/hide)

"Well, to whom it may concern, it sounds like some sort of hydraulic system controlling water flow below. I doubt it's a trap."

Could be an elevator of some sort.  I imagine anyone who makes the journey regularly wouldn't want to climb every time

Cumulo steps down to the bottom of the ladder and takes a look around.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Marl will keep his lead as he sneaks ahead.

Marllow, on the other hand, as a squishy, will be behind the lead.

Stepping into the disgusting sewer water, you discover it is only two feet deep. From your new vantage point you are able to see the tunnel widens in the next section. The widened area has raised sides, each with water worn grooves below metal circles. Just then one of the circles opens, revealing itself to actually being a metal iris valve. When the valve opens, there is first some mechanical grinding, followed by a hiss and then a rush of water, it then closes. As you watch other irises open and close, but you are unable to discern any pattern.

We should probably make sure we don't fall into those valves, suggests Marl. Anyone got something to make sure that doesn't happen?

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
"We could just not walk near them." Shruged Cumulo.

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage