Author Topic: Fallout 4 General  (Read 43623 times)

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4 General
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 12:34:52 PM »
Well, it was intentional. I wanted the damn powerfist. However... I hadn't actually looked anything up other than the pond's location. I was expecting some angry raider guy, not a horrendous monstrosity that would've utterly annihilated me immediately if I hadn't been sitting at 12 END and on Psycho at the time. :lmao

Yeah, that'll do it. I'm mostly trying to avoid chems on this playthrough for RP reasons. Definitely makes things harder when you can't just speedball PsychoJet and Buffout every fight. Though apparently the RNG has a sense of humor because I had a "Junkie's Shock Baton" drop pretty early in the game. :tongue
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
I got a Junkie's Rolling Pin. I was at a loss why I would ever want that.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 01:34:31 PM »
There are definitely some weird weapon prefix combos out there...
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »
I think someone should've put some restrictions in somewhere that would prevent legendary drops that are going to be complete crap no matter what the level you're playing at... :lmao
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:36:00 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 04:51:59 PM »
so, I made my character with 1 in strength and fours and fives in everything else, next I play I'll make a note of what went where. I'm out of the vault and back in the starting neighborhood.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Remember to use your companion as a pack mule if you've got one strength :P

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
Hell, just use your companion as a pack mule regardless of your strength. Also, don't be afraid to strip a place bare and walk back to the nearest settlement over-encumbered. Most locations are actually a lot closer together than the map makes it seem--especially downtown.

By the way, you know how I was saying that having a high endurance makes you practically invulnerable, and that the upgraded Silver Shroud outfit was one of the best armors in the game? Today I watched my wife tank two mini-nukes to the face wearing that thing.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
What level is she to have that level of nuke-proofing? O_o

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 03:27:12 AM »
~53, with maxed endurance and the first three Toughness perks, in addition to the upgraded Silver Shroud outfit, which weighs in at 80 something ballistic and energy defense. The nukes did mess her up a bit--I think one of her arms got crippled and it took maybe a quarter to a third of her health. I was just surprised she was still standing. Not often you find yourself feeling sorry for the guy with the Fatman.  :D

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
I think I may start over

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 06:39:04 PM »
Had to start devoting levels to SPECIAL just to get at the perks?

Work out what you want the character to be doing before you get going, really. Though if you want a guaranteed crit-monster, you'll want Intelligence (to get SCIENCE and modify energy weapons) at some point.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »
yeah, I didn't really think about it before I started to play. Before I restart, i'm going to see what builds are recommended online.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
As a tip, feel free to subtract one from any SPECIAL stat. There's a magazine under the animatronic baby's crib that'll give you a free +1 to anything once you defrost.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
Also keep in mind that crafting perks like Gun Nut/Armorer/Blacksmith can be skipped for most of the game. Upgraded weapons drop pretty frequently, and you can always swap the mods onto another weapon even if you don't have the perks to craft them. Your biggest concern with those is going to be upgrading your power armor and crafting defenses for your settlements.

Another piece of advice: Consider dumping Charisma, especially if you don't plan to do much settlement stuff right away. Charisma boosting suits/hats/glasses are really common, and you can always save scum on speech checks. Also, the Local Leader perks are not nearly as good as they sound. It doesn't actually link your settlement inventories, it just lets you draw on those resources when crafting--which can be a huge pain if you accidentally break down a weapon you were storing and don't realize it until you go back to get it. You still have to lug stuff to get it from one place to another though, you can't store something in one settlement and pull it out somewhere else. As for the second level of Local Leader, it's really more of a convenience than anything else. Crafting stations are pretty common, and caps really aren't that important or hard to come by. If you want your settlements to make money just keep the population low and set up an industrial water purifier--then sell the crapton of excess purified water in Diamond City or something. Having your own merchants and being able to build crafting stations is really more of an endgame luxury that something you actually need to invest perks in.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »
http://kotaku.com/guy-beats-fallout-4-without-killing-anyone-nearly-brea-1749882569

Guy Beats Fallout 4 Without Killing Anyone, Nearly Breaks The Game

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 04:31:56 PM »
Seconding CHR dumping. It's a very viable strategy, and you don't actually lose much of the game by not having high CHR. You can still have a crapton of settlements, and you can still build them up as big as you want, it's just going to be a little bit more difficult on account of not sharing crafting materials between settlements, but you don't actually lose out much at all. Perfectly viable to have a Minuteman victory with CHR=1 if you so desire.

Another very dumpable stat is, surprisingly, Perception. If you don't like to use VATS a lot, there's a companion you can get pretty early in the game that can lockpick up to Expert level locks, meaning even Lockpicking isn't that much of a necessity. There's also a companion that can unlock up to Expert level terminals as well - but Science actually unlocks stuff to craft on Settlements, upgrades for Power Armor and a lot of stuff, and INT is tied to levelling, so its much harder to dump INT.

END is another stat i like to dump. Although more HP is always nice, there's absolutely nothing on the Endurance tree that's critical to gameplay. Even on Survival, i never felt the need to have more than 1 END, i always find that if i adequately upgrade my gear, i can tank enough hits to get away with it, as long as i'm kind of careful - which suits my normal playstyle of being a stealth sniper.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »
From my experience, all that really matters in the end is being able to make everything between you and the target dead. Everything's a dump stat if you want to dump it. :lmao

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 01:03:07 AM »
So, I think I'm going to be a charismatic gunslinger....cuz that sounds fun and I get to be sassy lol

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 01:28:50 AM »
Pistols are incredibly powerful. You get a little bit less long-range sniping potential, due to not getting the +% damage on the most powerful snipers (gauss rifle & plasma rifle), but a properly modded plasma pistol and/or .44 revolver can do the trick just fine on all but the most resilient of targets. You'll still do 1-hit-kills against all rank and file. As a plus, V.A.T.S is garbage with rifles, but incredibly and insanely amazing with pistols.

With a high enough AGI and a VATS Enhanced legendary, you can easily get off 8+ shots on VATS, and with proper perks and more +AGI/AP equipment, there's people emptying like 30 shots on VATS. It's absolutely insane, and downright overpowered with the right perks, as you can absolutely clear a room of enemies just with a 10mm Pistol.

Also, did i even mention that Pistols are easily maxxed out by like, Rank 2 Gun Nut/Science? There's a couple of mods here and there that require Rank 3 Gun Nut or Science for the more high end stuff, but i can't even remember if there are Rank 4 locked mods on weapons for Pistols. And since the 10mm you find at the beggining of the game can EASILY carry you through the whole game AND ammunition for it is plentiful and common...

Yeah, Gunslinging is frigging insane in this game. I'd wager it's more powerful than just about any other build with the right perks.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 02:28:17 AM »
Strength: -
Perception: 10
Endurance: -
Charisma: 5
Intelligence: -
Agility: 5