Author Topic: Imp of Cania: Greatest Truespeaker  (Read 11184 times)

Offline Cannotthink

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Imp of Cania: Greatest Truespeaker
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:26:39 AM »
With new boards comes space to fill with more uberbroke things. I'm taking this time to revamp and streamline an imp. I had this build working at an earlier level on the old boards, but I think I will provide a less convoluted path towards imp power.

To get to where this imp needs to go, he will take all his levels in the Imp class from savage species and a level in Truenamer afterwards. He'll take one flaw (doesn't matter which) for an extra feat. He will take the feats Brand of the Nine Hells, Mark of Cania, and Martial Study (Moment of Perfect Mind). His first utterance will be Words of Nurturing, Minor.

Info
-As soon as the imp hits ECL 4, he will have the three necessary feats and have access to his Invisibility spell-like ability.
-Whenever the imp uses a spell-like ability and the target for the ability makes it's save, mark of cania triggers giving a cumulative +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
-His Invisibility ability at will.
-Even though the Invisibility is harmless, it still targets and allows for a will save
-Moment of Perfect Mind allows the imp to make a Concentration check in place of a will save and does not automatically fail on a natural one.
-He regains Moment of Perfect Mind after a minute of rest
-A reversed Words of Nurturing, Minor has a damage roll and does not allow for a save.

The trick: After ECL 4, the imp takes every chance it gets to use it's Invisibility and takes the opportunity to make a will save to resist and gaining bonuses from mark of cania after every successful save. After a short period of time, the bonuses provided through saves from Mark of Cania makes it impossible to fail the save except on a natural one. Moment of Perfect Mind makes it completely impossible, though once per minute. The imp may repeat the process indefinitely (with an absolutely certain will save success once a minute) until it is satisfied with a ridiculously large mark of cania bonus. The imp then walks up to people and asks the universe to kill them, the universe complies.

The imp also has the added benefit of trivially making epic skill checks. The imp can forge any document possible; train domesticated humanoids in a minute; jump to the sun; actually see the sun; weave baskets like a boss.  If the imp can get an imp friend to do the same and get some +eleventybillion to skill checks, the two can slight-of-hand each other anywhere and everywhere on a single plane robbing anyone and everyone all while disabling every device in sight, as a free action.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Imp of Cania: Greatest Truespeaker
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:08 PM »
Just hope nobody gets the drop on you with your negative armor class.  Not that they will with your ability to see them from miles away, but...you know....just saying.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »
Throw in the alternative potion Tiles and repair them, recharge trick.

This needs the PrC (idk) that expands "potions" to higher levels.

(of course this is small potatoes to a T.O. loop)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:01:23 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline x

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »
Maybe this is nitpicking, but Martial Study says you can use the maneuver once per encounter. Since you are both the caster and target of the Invisibility ability, when does the "encounter" end? Does it ever?

Offline Cannotthink

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
'tis a good question. The rules on recovering expended maneuvers out of combat for non-adepts is in a rather awkward spot, but you can find it on page 40 of Tome of Battle under Recovering Expended Maneuvers, towards the end of the section.

...Even a few moments out of combat is sufficient to refresh all maneuvers expended in the previous battle. In the case of a long, drawn-out series of fights, or if an adept is out of combat entirely, assume that if a character makes no attacks of any kind, initiates no new maneuvers, and is not targeted by any enemy attacks for one full minute, he can recover all expended maneuvers...

Essentially, anyone with martial maneuvers can initiate them about once per minute regardless of whether or not they are in an encounter. Whoever it is just needs a quick breather and they're good.

Offline x

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I see that they would recover the maneuver, but martial study still limits the use of the ability to once per encounter. I figure the special rules of the feat override the general usage, otherwise it wouldn't have been included. So I'm back to wondering if the word "encounter" is ever clearly defined anywhere. I took a quick look in the DMG and PHB but didn't see anything. Yours is probably a legit interpretation (as far as any build of this type can be considered legit), I just have my cheese skepticism abilities cranked to maximum and now my curiosity has gotten the better of me. Are there any other ways to guarantee making a saving throw?

I would still like the build even if the Perfect Mind bit didn't work. If I can go forever without rolling a 20 when I need one, certainly it's possible to go just as long without rolling a 1.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
There was a short discussion of "encounter" near the end of BG.
The definition rules of the word are in the DMG.
iirc - Skill checks can constitute an "encounter" =  :)

Offline x

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
BG? That one seems to be missing from my list of acronyms.

iirc, it's defined somewhere in the DMG...but I can't find it. Got a page number?

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
BG? That one seems to be missing from my list of acronyms.

Brilliant gameologists, the forum preceding this one. Near the end of it would be a chronological placement, rather than a spatial.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
Taking a close look at the other Marks, I would say Mark of Nessus is sexy (basically, due to the wording, if the caster or special ability user fails their save against the ability, they can't use a spell, spell-like ability, or a supernatural ability that affects you. At all. And they make this save EACH TIME THEY CAST SOMETHING AT YOU, until they succeed. You know, there's a build in that somewhere...).

Mark of Avernus has its uses, I would say; Immediate actions can interrupt other actions, iirc, so you can basically 1/encounter prevent some idiot from doing pretty much anything. Also, it becomes borken with Synchronicity+Martial Maneuvers; basically, you just got a free +4 boost to attack and damage, as well as auto-confirm crits.

Mark of Minauros is hilarious with a Roof-Jumper build; your drop from orbit gives you +1d6 damage and +2 to hit for each 10' you travel! I think this can get us a record, non-infinite attack roll... Considering that, iirc, there are some abilities that trigger when you beat someone's AC by a given amount, this is sexy.

Mark of Malbolge is great for out of combat healing (even with a 10 in Con, you are getting on average 21+3*(HD) hit points back.) Also, it gives a nice 1 round boost to speed or reach... Get a Constitution of at least 24, and you have unlimited uses, unless you are using Ruby Knight Windicator cheese.

And... those are pretty much the only good ones.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Snowbluff

• I like being a lurker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
You don't really need Moment of Perfect MInd, do you? You just have to make the save, right? Simply dump the stat the you save is linked to, save Iron Will from the Doughty hole, put points in wis. Instead of waiting a minute, you could use the ability ad nauseum, stacking the bonus really quickly early on.
Clerics are my game!

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
There's probably something else that allows you to not fail on a nat 1 too.  I think there's a feat, and I know the Rogue special abilities have one.  That's the only thing you need to take care of to make this a constant ability, as otherwise your saves rise, so even if it starts slow (even only succeeding on a nat 20) it'll EVENTUALLY make it to where you only fail on a nat 1, and each time you save it makes it easier to save until you get there.  But yes, it'll probably be faster overall if you don't wait the minute, especially later on, when you'll only fail 1/20th of the time even without the no auto-fail.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »
If you can find a creature with Enlarge Person or a similar Fort-save allowing ability at will, you could use Steadfast Determination to allow making Fort saves on a natural 1.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »
If you can find a creature with Enlarge Person or a similar Fort-save allowing ability at will, you could use Steadfast Determination to allow making Fort saves on a natural 1.

I'm sure there's something.  Genies get it twice per day, so shouldn't be that uncommon.

Hell, genies can use it on other creatures, so you could just get them from somewhere and have them use it on you.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline sreservoir

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm older!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

no need, frostburn's skull talismans should do well enough.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Pride domain lets you re-roll any natural 1 on a saving throw.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 04:23:29 PM »

Correction: Better.

Pride domain lets you re-roll any natural 1 on a saving throw.

Which makes the chance of getting a 1 1/400 instead of 1/20. Add in Choose Destiny to roll two dice, and if both come up 1's then you Pride re-roll. Making your chance 1/160,000.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:25:59 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:35 PM »

Correction: Better.
The Tiles trick, was the only thing (iirc) that the BG-era found.
I've no idea about Skull Talismans.
What do they do?

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
They are basically potions that can hold up to 9th level spells, but instead of drinking you break the skull.  Cost is Spell Level x Caster Level x 100 GP.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »
Not bad  :)

Cracking a Tile in half, like a cracker
... is no where near as personally rewarding as
Crushing a Skull while whispering "sweet" nothings.
 :devil

Since this uses just 1 ToB thingy, it should be
possible to get the "idiot crusader" going too.
(see the handbook)

:shakefist
EDIT --- oooh oooh , check out the Scare Tactics episode Satan's Baby.
It's perfect for this guy ... and hilarious.

EDIT EDIT --- why does this have to be an Imp? 
You can get an at-will (sp) ability other ways.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:02:51 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »