Author Topic: "Composite" Crossbow  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
"Composite" Crossbow
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:43:33 AM »
Why should archers have all the fun with bonus damage?

A crossbow can be constructed with a Str modifier similar to a composite longbow or shortbow. The cost is the same, +100 gp per point of Str modifier.

If your Str modifier is less than that of the crossbow, it requires 1 additional move action to reload for every point of Str modifier you have below the crossbow. For example, if you have a Str of 18 (+4 modifier) and use a light crossbow that has a +7 Str modifier, it requires 4 move actions to reload.

Reloading devices can be purchased for crossbows to reduce the reloading time.
A hook and stirrup costs 4 gp, adds no weight, and reduces the loading time due to excess Str by 1 move action.
A lever costs 9 gp, weighs 1/2 lb., and reduces the loading time due to excess Str by 2 move actions.
A crank costs 16 gp, weighs 2 lbs., and reduces the loading time due to excess Str by 3 move actions, to a minimum of 1 move action.
A windlass 25 gp, weighs 4 lbs., and reduces the loading time due to excess Str by 4 move actions, to a minimum of 1 move action.
You can purchase masterwork versions of these for +50 gp that reduce the loading time due to excess Str by 1 additional move action.
For example, you have Str 12 (+1 modifier) and are using a light crossbow (Str +8). It would normally take 8 move actions to reload. If you use a lever, it would take only 6 move actions to reload. If you use a masterwork windlass, it would take only 3 move actions to reload.

A person can use a crossbow with a Str bonus no more than +20 above his Str, that would take him a maximum of 1 minute (20 move actions) to reload. (Reductions for reloading devices do not raise this maximum.)
Above that and he can neither reload the crossbow, nor fire it effectively. (While he could pull the trigger, the recoil would knock him prone, and the bolt would fly off in a random direction, with no chance to hit, and doing no damage.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:40:49 PM by Samwise »

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: "Composite" Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
It's a good concept, though I think the crank and windlass should have a small downside where they have a minimum 1 extra move action to use.  For example, a str 10 soldier has a +3 str pull crossbow.  He would need 1 extra move action to load it with a lever, crank, or windlass because the crank and windlass just take longer to operate.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
It's a good concept, though I think the crank and windlass should have a small downside where they have a minimum 1 extra move action to use.  For example, a str 10 soldier has a +3 str pull crossbow.  He would need 1 extra move action to load it with a lever, crank, or windlass because the crank and windlass just take longer to operate.

:banghead
That was what I planned as I was thinking about it, and then just plain forgot when writing it down.

This is why I hate working without an editor.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
It appears to me that this merely changes the mechanic for 'charging' for the Heavy Crossbow's higher damage die over the Light Crossbow (each die size from 4 through 12 is an effective +1 to damage). Lower Str characters loading the weapon taking longer than higher Str characters makes sense, but if a lever or windlass obviates the time constraint, then you're just pumping up the heavy crossbow for free. This is not to say that mundanes can't have nice things, but is the complication beneficial?
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
Basically . . . yes, it just shifts the mechanic.
Ultimately, what is "supposed" to be the difference between a light and heavy crossbow? The strength of the weapon, reflected in the increased loading time.
The thing is, that not only has a hard cap unless you keep creating new heavier crossbows, but it also crushes down on the rate of fire.
With this, a determined arbalester can both match the rate of fire and the Strength bonus of an archer, or, if he prefers, "nova" on the Str bonus and use the crossbow as an "encounter power".

As to whether that makes the complication beneficial . . . that's why I posted it.  :p

And beyond that is tweaking the structure to have the various "weights" of crossbow have different ranges rather than different damage, as well as how magic and feats interact with the whole thing.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
No cap means that you can carry a crossbow that one shots pretty much anything that isn't immune to damage. Say +300 damage for 30k gold. Expensive, but not out of the realm of possibility, and half an hour to load it up is still less time than spell preparation. Every high level character will carry one of those even if they're not specialized in ranged combat. It's a multi-use "don't save, just die".

Even without cheesing well this still makes bows obsolete. Crossbows already have higher base damage, so with the same rate of reload for just a few grand nobody will want to use puny bows.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:36:12 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
1. And then one deflect arrows negates it completely. Or any of a number of other methods to neutralize ranged attacks.

2. As opposed to all the other damage optimizations out there?

3. 30K gp on a 1/encounter weapon is still 30K gp not spent on something else.

4. Okay, so . . . add a soft cap at 1 minute reloading time over personal Str, or a hard cap at +20 or so bonus damage.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »
1. Who has deflect arrows? Monks? They're already dead in that case.  :p
But, say, a Solar doesn't have any specific anti-ranged abilities, and has less than 300 HP. As do balors and core giants and most dragons.

2. Which demands spending precious feats if not levels and whatnot. Super crossbow MK 300 still allows your character to specialize into something else in case you run into an arrow-immune enemy.

3. 1/encounter that can drop a Solar/Balor/giant/dragon is a pretty damn good 1/encounter.

4. 1 minute reloading sounds more reasonable.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
1. Who has deflect arrows? Monks? They're already dead in that case.  :p
But, say, a Solar doesn't have any specific anti-ranged abilities, and has less than 300 HP. As do balors and core giants and most dragons.

So it also makes monks playable again!  :D

2. Which demands spending precious feats if not levels and whatnot. Super crossbow MK 300 still allows your character to specialize into something else in case you run into an arrow-immune enemy.

That was one of the things that prompted it actually - the discussions I've seen about how crossbows can never be as good as regular bows when the reality is they just plain were.

3. 1/encounter that can drop a Solar/Balor/giant/dragon is a pretty damn good 1/encounter.

Muohahahahahaha!  :cool

4. 1 minute reloading sounds more reasonable.

I'll add it in.