Author Topic: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!  (Read 46492 times)

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
Ah, got it, thank you!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2016, 03:23:36 AM »
(click to show/hide)

So does this Boost last indefinitely until it runs out of maneuvers to use? So if you gave it 3 Strikes, and it can only use 1 of those Strikes each round, will this clone last 3 rounds before disappearing?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2016, 05:25:54 AM »
Correct.

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
Devildom Torch: At 11h level, if you use a Swift action before throwing a Magical Recycled Bomb, it splits upon impact! You can target another two creatures with the same potion effect, make new attack rolls but consider the point of origin the first target. If the spell demanded expensive components or exp, you must pay them for each target. In addition she can now brew her potions with spells of any level she can cast.

Does this mean that an Ordinary Magician can now put Personal spells or spells without a target into her potions, or are they still restricted to non-personal and targeted ones? For example, does this let an Ordinary Magician create a Potion of Fireball? Normally I'd assume that's a no, but considering it's Marisa, and we're already throwing these potions at people...

Edit: That is, it's clear that it just lets you make higher level potions. What I'm curious about is if it's intended to just do that, or if it's intended to basically let you actually craft the Magical Recycled Bombs yourself, because as it stands, you can ad-hoc a bomb potion, but you can't actually brew one.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:47:29 PM by Shadlith »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »
Potions of wishhehe.

Or reality maelstrom. Not that's a proper hand grenade

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
I think Devildom Torch already allows potions of Wish. The only limit on brewing potions in the SRD is that "Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions." and "The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target."

Wish doesn't have a range, and most wishes worth wishing for through a potion are going to target the drinker anyway. Since you still have to pay the XP cost, plus the XP cost of the potion, there's no real difference (well, other than getting 5 wishes for the +5 inherent bonus is now going to require chugging 5 potions in a row instead of casting 5 wishes from scrolls, but that actually sounds pretty cool and doesn't make wishes any more accessible, so it's cool). I'm just curious if it's supposed to give us the ability to brew potions of, say, fireball, so an Ordinary Magician can throw a potion of fireball at someone with a pre-brewed one, instead of only being able to toss one with her Magical Recycled Bomb, which, as it is, seems like a rather odd limitation.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2016, 05:04:45 AM »
Well the basic idea behind magically recycled bomb was more "I improvised stuff on the fly and got really lucky". But I agree eventually the Ordinary Magician should be able to spam fireball potions, and it's not like it's that cost-effective. Added a bit of text to Devildom Torch that clarifies the OM can now make potions of any spell and throw them to laser everything apply the effects to others.

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2016, 02:06:51 PM »
Weird question:
Dark Flight: At 5th level the Ordinary Magician can fly at twice her base speed with good maneuverability in some bizzarre way, like holding into an unattended household object like a broom or oven, or simply sprouting wings out of nowhere.

How big can the object being held onto be? Can I fly around in my bath tub? What if it's filled with water? I presume the answer to the second is "as long as it fits your encumberance" but just making sure.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2016, 06:00:08 PM »
Hahaaa, a house.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
Houses are Household Objects?
I guess thats what the Wicked Witch of the East was trying to do with Dorothy's house in the Wizard of Oz.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
Clarified that the item used in Dark Flight counts towards your carrying capacity.

I guess the WWW let her Bull's Strength buff run out.

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »
Ordinary Magicians prefer to go all out. If she casts a spell without using maneuvers that round, she recovers a number of expended maneuvers equal to 1/3 the level of the spell cast, rounded up. Those spells can be ones binded to a Love-Coloured Magic stance

During levels 1 and 2, only level 0 spells can be bound to a love colored magic stance. These spells do not recover maneuvers, since 1/3 of 0 remains 0. Is this intentional?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »
Good catch, added clause that casting a 0th level spell still recovers one spell.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:37 AM »
Just getting to reading this.  Super cool class!

The obvious question (in my mind) is what spells to use?

Some thoughts:
* Fleshshiver (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/players-guide-to-faerun--22/fleshshiver--2272/index.html) - autostun + 1d6/lvl + nausated
* Freezing fog (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/spell-compendium--86/freezing-fog--4539/) - only 5' movement + 1d6 cold
* avasculate (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/avasculate--1467/index.html) - stun + 1/2 HP

Anyone else?

Best,
David

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
To be fair, Avasculate does not technically do damage to HP in that the word damage is absent from the spell description.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2017, 04:31:19 AM »
Fleshshiver was nerfed considerably in spell compendium, being bumped up to 6th level and only delivering the auto-stun if the enemy has the same or less HD than your caster level. If they have more HD then they're allowed a Fort save to resist the stun.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
I have been getting a lot of use out of Ray of Ice.
1d6/2 lvls damage is pretty meh but turning it into an area effect nobody move is pretty awesome for a 2nd-level spell.
As a bonus your resident rogue will love you.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2018, 11:15:24 PM »
Just because this thread is old, it's fine to post direct questions here, and probably better so others can check it out.

Magic Drain Missile
Love-Coloured Magic (Strike)
Level: Ordinary Magician 4
Initiation Action: Standardd action
Range: 50 feet per IL
Target: See text.
Duration: See text.
Save: DC 14+Int mod.

Accelerating explosive rocket shots
As part of this maneuver cast a spell that deals HP damage with a casting time of a standard action or less. The duration of any other effects but the damage becomes 1 round.
Make a ranged touch attack. If you hit and the spell required an attack roll, then the spell is treated as if any required attack rolls were hits, plus the DC (if any) is increased by 4. Creatures within a burst of up to 5 feet per IL are affected as well, but at this maneuver's normal DC.

If I cast a multi projectile spell, they will all be focused into this one shot, right?

Yes.

Also with Light Flow "Shooting Echo" when you attack with the spell again does that take more magic/energy? If not I think it should specify.

Yes, clarified.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
Do the shoots of Love Storm "Starlight Typhoon" still have to be aimed differently?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Yes, both maneuvers work the same way except where specifically mentioned.