Author Topic: Low-End OOC thread.  (Read 86220 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Low-End OOC thread.
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
The reason the Fly and Levitate spells are called out specifically is that they magically hold you up. You can't choose to fall while under the effect of those spells without dismissing the spell.

A creature with wings, on the other hand, can fold its wings and effectively stop flying and start falling.

Given that mecha flight is accomplished by thrusters that can be turned off (and turn off automatically at the end of movement unless you have an upgrade/ type of robot that has a full flight speed) they would seem to fall into the latter category and not the former.

On the RAW side, "effect" in that context is referencing flight as an SLA or supernatural ability. It's not trying to say that all flight is the same as a fly spell.

However, this DM ruling territory and it won't even matter unless Scout89 decides he wants to take the feat so let's table this discussion for now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:40:18 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Anybody have an opinion on what Pilot Class I should take to go with Incarnate?  I just can't decide.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
It depends somewhat on what role you're filling but my plan was to go real pilot 1 and then multiclass into super. Real has much superior stats at 1st level, esp for a tank (which was what I was trying to do.)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
We've got tanks and dedicated melee and dedicated ranged.  I'm just going for the jack-of-all-trades kind of guy which Incarnate does well.  I'd probably end up going with one of the spellcasting classes except spellcasters have never really appealed to me...

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
The casters are also really fragile and at lv1 everyone is fragile.

Versatility wise, I'd probably go Real. Arsenal is a major source of versatility and you get quite a bit of it from a lv1 real robot. It does make the background a little more difficult to figure out but it works much better mechanically.

On a different note, Power Surge is a Dragon Magazine feat that I would like to take. Specifically, I want to use the duration increasing function on my Entangling Exhalation augmented Breath Weapon.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Battle Jump may be a solid choice depending on whether you can activate it with mecha flight.

I'm not aproving Battle Jump, mostly because the feat is a mess as it is written since it never explains what action is actually needed for the falling charge.

On a different note, Power Surge is a Dragon Magazine feat that I would like to take. Specifically, I want to use the duration increasing function on my Entangling Exhalation augmented Breath Weapon.
Now that one I'm fine with.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
Cool. Then I'm officially done with my low end character (have 20gp to spend but I may just keep it for incidentals.)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Battle Jump may be a solid choice depending on whether you can activate it with mecha flight.

I'm not aproving Battle Jump, mostly because the feat is a mess as it is written since it never explains what action is actually needed for the falling charge.

Now that one I'm fine with.

I presume the action is... falling? Which is not an action.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
That's where the "mess" part comes in. As written it lets you perform a charge (a full round action) without spending an action at all. You could potentially full attack, then use some form of swift action movement (Travel Devotion springs to mind) to get in a position to activate Battle jump, and then full attack again using pounce. This can be accomplished at lv1 with flaws and is kinda silly.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
That's where the "mess" part comes in. As written it lets you perform a charge (a full round action) without spending an action at all. You could potentially full attack, then use some form of swift action movement (Travel Devotion springs to mind) to get in a position to activate Battle jump, and then full attack again using pounce. This can be accomplished at lv1 with flaws and is kinda silly.

But it's not like there isn't precedent for it (performing actions for free, lessening costs etc.). Besides, it requires you to invest significantly in mobility to really shine (you need pounce to full attack on a charge, and you can't actually FALL if you don't have any movement left in a round).

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
Sugar. Totally thought I had posted my answer before.

Oslecamo, the web enhancement I am after is (link to wizards site) Voice of the City.

Wait, there was another. Trading Ride as a Class Skill for Tumble. Under Skilled City-Dweller (same website)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:50:14 PM by Elevevated Beat »
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
Don't see anything wrong with Voice of the City.

Low End IC probably hopefully shall be put on tommorrow.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
Edit: Nevermind all that.

Hmm, feats are proving hard to pick.

Edit edit: Done.  I'm now good at melee and ranged, and I'm a stealthy bastard and very quick.  This is working out well.

Now down to gear and backstory.  Well, and a name.

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
Big change in my character's sheet. He's still melee-speced, but not a fighter anymore...
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
Bartok is finished and ready to go tomorrow. :)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »
I just need to put the finishing touches on equipment and Hugo will be ready to go (I also need to fill in his sheet).

Hmmm. I want to trade Scribe Scroll, but for what...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
Huh, have to move the ship up a size already.

And we have a lot of Gespents on board. O_o

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2013, 12:44:18 AM »
I have now decided, Incarnum is officially hologram technology akin to that of Star Trek.

Edit: Shit, I don't have Incarnum Weapon shaped.  Maybe I should just break down and buy a weapon...

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »
Incarnum Weapon is decent outside the mecha but mecha weapons outclass it by a fair margin. That was one of the reasons I decided not to play an Incarnate.

Hologram tech sounds like perfect fluff for it, though.

Offline Elevevated Beat

• My DJ scratches like he's wearing itchy wool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
Just reposting this, Oslecamo, not sure if you got it as you posted right before I finished my edit.

Wait, there was another. Trading Ride as a Class Skill for Tumble. Under Skilled City-Dweller (same website)
Do you know how long someone who is as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? Suuuuuuch a long time.

Bhu: Favorite quote of the day: “I’ll make love to you like a confused bear. Awkwardly. And in a manner that suggests I’m trying to escape.”