Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion Thread  (Read 199835 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« Reply #860 on: December 03, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
The main thing that has slowed me down in revising spellshaping has really been coming up with new formulae. After coming up with 336 the first time around, it's very hard to find new space that isn't either complicated, not what I want in terms of formulae functionality, or thematically inappropriate for the circle. I'll get there, though.

The paladin is very incomplete at the moment, since I've only written enough to stay ahead of the campaign so Felyx can choose his character options. I'll be posting it when it's completed.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Imban

• Lurker
  • Spikes! \o/
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
The links for the PDF versions of the codices are broken. Does anyone have a copy that they could re-upload?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »
Quick question about the Flamespeaker's Lesser Ascension: It says you gain 50% resistance to critical hits. Does this mean you take 50% of the damage from a critical hit, or any bonus damage from a critical hit is reduced by 50%, or that you have a 50% chance to negate a critical hit (like fortification)?

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 02, 2014, 09:35:13 PM »
The links for the PDF versions of the codices are broken. Does anyone have a copy that they could re-upload?

Codex I

Codex II

Most up-to-date document of the Complete Codex

I'll go ahead and update the links elsewhere.

Quick question about the Flamespeaker's Lesser Ascension: It says you gain 50% resistance to critical hits. Does this mean you take 50% of the damage from a critical hit, or any bonus damage from a critical hit is reduced by 50%, or that you have a 50% chance to negate a critical hit (like fortification)?

It's meant to be fortification. The "resistance" wording appears on things like Dread Necromancer.

I swear, someday, I'll have time to work on this again. Currently, though, having just gotten a dog and started a new job, free time is very lacking.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
If it helps Venn and I are going to be using your material in the same PbP game.  :)

Offline chaos_redefined

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 16, 2014, 04:04:55 AM »
A couple of questions that I've noticed...

Unseen Impetus's formula Forceful Propulsion, Violent Displacement, etc... allow you to use "your Charisma or Intelligence modifier, whichever is higher, in place of your Strength modifier."  Is there any reason not to allow wisdom?

Formula Study requires the user to use charisma for the DC, but doesn't specify that they have to have a charisma of 10 + formula level.  Also, can we allow them to use either int, wis or cha, instead of forcing cha?

Still a fan of this.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 21, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Hello DonQuixote. I don't know if you're still working on this any more, but I found a small typo in the AC bonus ability of the Disciple of the Circles PrC. The AC bonus ability ends with "and +5 at 20th level", which should be 9th level instead.

Additionally, the dropbox links for the codices are disabled:
Disabled link
Access to this link has been disabled. Please ask the owner of the shared link to send a new link to access the file or the folder.

Finally, I'm working on a spellshaping racial PrC for a separate project of mine. If I manage to finish the class, would it be alright if I posted the race and class here as additional spellshaping material?

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 21, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
Unfortunately, since I started working full-time, I haven't had the time, energy, or inspiration to work any more on spellshaping. There are a lot of holes still in it, and a lot of things that need to be cleaned up, but I just haven't felt up to it. While I'd like to finish it, I don't know how realistic it is to assume that I'm suddenly going to be magically capable of doing so.

My group is planning to try out 5E once we actually get the Player's Handbook. If we decide to jump editions, I highly doubt that I'll come back to finish this. If we don't, there's still a chance I will.

Please feel free to post anything you write as additional material. If anyone wants to try jumping on the revision and fleshing things out, I can send you my notes if you PM me.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »
That is a pity. Spell shaping is my favorite homebrew project, but completely understandable.

A question, are the formulaes balanced towards a same level spell or a same level maneuver?

By the way, how daes you paladine rewrite is going?

Edit: Also can anyone reupload the pdfs?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:06:38 AM by samnemath »

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 03, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »
Files should be reuploaded.

Formulae were sort of...weird, in terms of balance. Generally, the goal was for them to be about the level of a maneuver, but--realistically--they're probably closer in power to an evocation spell of an analogous level.

Paladin rewrite sort of...stalled. I got all of it written that I needed for the player in question to play it.