Meta Board > Off Topic Fun

Audiobooks not available in US

(1/3) > >>

phaedrusxy:
Hi all. I'm a big fan of the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. However, 3 of the books aren't available for purchase as audiobooks in the US due to some stupid licensing problems. I managed to get one of the three (Excision) somewhere in the past... but was wondering if any of you who live in the UK (or any other region where these books aren't restricted for sale...) could help me get a copy.

I commute 2 hours each day for my work, and audiobooks make it a lot more tolerable. I also never have time to sit down and read an actual paper book.

FireInTheSky:
(click to show/hide)I had that same type of commute - drove 106 miles round trip, ~2h30 - for 2 and a half years. I spent my time listening to podcasts. Now that I've moved and my commute is 7 minutes each way, I have a huge backlog from the more than 2 dozen podcasts I'm subscribed to. :P

Have you considered podcasts as an alternative / supplement to audiobooks?

phaedrusxy:
Yeah I listen to podcasts as well, but I get bored with them and switch back and forth to books.

Necrosnoop110:

--- Quote from: phaedrusxy on July 01, 2018, 12:47:10 AM ---Hi all. I'm a big fan of the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. However, 3 of the books aren't available for purchase as audiobooks in the US due to some stupid licensing problems. I managed to get one of the three (Excision) somewhere in the past... but was wondering if any of you who live in the UK (or any other region where these books aren't restricted for sale...) could help me get a copy.
--- End quote ---
Seems like they are available through Amazon.com/Audible. I didn't check the entire series but certainly more than just Excession.

LINK: Book 1: Consider Phlebas
LINK: Book 2: The Player of Games
LINK: Book 3: Use of Weapons

Also, don't forget to hit up your local public library for free books on CD and eMedia if that works better (eBooks/e-audio-books). Further, if your local library does not have a tittle or format you need they can often get it from other libraries outside of your system via InterLibrary loan. You can use WorldCAT to check and see if one is close by and bring that record into your library and see what they can do. In WorldCAT I'm seeing many, many, US libraries with titles in this series in Audiobook on CD available.

phaedrusxy:
Good idea about the libraries. There are three titles that aren't available as audiobooks in the US: Excession, Inversion, and Look to Windward. I've listened to all the other culture novels except for the final one, The Hydrogen Sonata. (I also managed to find a... less than legit... copy of Excession a while back...) Evidently there must have been some licensing snafu between his UK publisher and audible that only affects '96 to 2000...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version