Author Topic: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread  (Read 128128 times)

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
There's some outsiders with [evil] SLAs... but outsiders are also high Will. Even if the outsider did have an [evil] SLA, you'd be better off with a level 2 Spear of Purity
Some Undead as well.

Which...also have high Will saves.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Does it even work on variable alignment subtype stuff like Summon Monsters and the Summon (the special SLA evil outsiders often have)? That's the only [evil] spell that's reasonably common till all the high level demons and devils start packing Blasphemy SLAs.

It shouldn't. I'm pretty sure those only have their descriptors at the time of casting.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Habit of the Winter Explorer is kind of confusingly written. It is a body slot item that requires you to wear items for 3 other additional slots to work, but seem to not count against those other slots.

This warm outfit consists of a woolen coat and pants, boots, gloves, and a heavy fur cloak with a leather hood.
*snip*
All pieces of the habit of the winter explorer must be worn for the item to function.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:30:43 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
I think the intent was some combination of mundane outfits being full outfits and gloves needing both to be worn. Even if it was one slot though, I don't really see it being worth the cost.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
fixed the link

yeah, its very niche, 3/5 of the abilities only work within or in relation to cold weather
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
I'm heartened to see that this thread's still continuing in the near-eight years since I first posted it.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
really has been awhile
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
Frankly, while going back through 3E stuff I've found plenty of crap comparable to stuff in this thread. I should make a thread for that next time I encounter one. Problem would be you've got entire subsystems that are poorly thought out.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Like we've got better to do.  :smirk

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
I'm heartened to see that this thread's still continuing in the near-eight years since I first posted it.
Is it truly heartening, when that means that Paizo has been publishing absolute trash for years?  :bigeyes

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
I guess we never did go over PF's Vow of Poverty Monk. Seeing as PF's Vow of Poverty appears to be deliberately so bad no one would want to take it, I genuinely suspect someone in Paizo wrote this vow as some kind of revenge for 3.5's Vow of Poverty feat, which they apparently had some kind of grudge against.
Poverty (Ultimate Magic pg. 50): The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—a simple set of clothing, a pair of sandals or shoes, a bowl, a sack, a blanket, and any one other item. Five of these items must be of plain and simple make, though one can be of some value (often an heirloom of great personal significance to the monk). The monk can never keep more money or wealth on his person than he needs to feed, bathe, and shelter himself for 1 week in modest accommodations. He cannot borrow or carry wealth or items worth more than 50 gp that belong to others. He is allowed to accept and use curative potions (or similar magical items where the item is consumed and is valueless thereafter) from other creatures. A monk with this vow increases his ki pool by 1 ki point for every 2 monk levels (minimum +1).
It's worth noting that PF's VoP does permit the Monk to own a single item worth money and that the Monk can donate his income to his party members.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:18:07 PM by Power »

Offline Rejakor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
This is less bad, and more 'what the fuck'.

Souldrinker, a prestige class you enter at 8th.  With 2 levels in it you can make any amount of magic items for free.  Takes time still.  And you 'only' get like around 5-10,000gp of free magic item goldcost per day unless you minmax it (and why wouldn't you).  This is one of the most straightforward ways to get free magic items i've ever seen.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
I genuinely suspect it feels like someone in PF wrote this vow as some kind of revenge for 3.5's Vow of Poverty feat, which they apparently had some kind of grudge against.
Feels like there are lots of those grudges in Pathfinder.   Like the deliberate blocking of sneak attack damage with splash weapons.  Making Flurry of Blows into Two Weapon Fighting.  Power Attack losing granularity.  Untyped bonuses derived from ability scores somehow being a type.   "Stop playing WRONG!"

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Also taking away reach from the spiked chain.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
Power Attack I think may have been a legitimate, if misguided, attempt to speed up play by ending mid-combat recalculation of attack/damage bonus and Flurry change may have been poor math. Sneak attack with splash weapons was absolutely a grudge thing though.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
The Power Attack rules change did have the bad result that at high levels you are better off not using the feat than using it, unless you are using tricks to obtain extraordinarily high attack bonuses, but if you are doing that sort of thing you could've just obtained high damage bonuses without using Power Attack.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Also taking away reach from the spiked chain.
They should have just taken away the spiked chain.    Plenty of actual weapons to use in the same role, like the kusari-gama.  :p  Also, the Starknife is twice the munchkin the spiked chain ever was, and nearly as silly.  Author's Pet, the other side of the grudge. 

Are we at the point we should start a new thread for our kvetching?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Does everyone using the PFSRD and thinking it's all official instead of the actual official PRD count?

Offline Nanashi

• View Profile
I use d20pfsrd for its search function, which handles complex queries better (looking for a magic item that produce a particular spell or a spell that meets certain requirements). I use AoN if I know what I'm looking for or am looking through the complete list of spells/items/talents.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I think d20pfsrd is way better organized, but each page tells you if the entry is official or 3rd party so people don't really have an excuse IMO.