Author Topic: Action thread: With Janis  (Read 99594 times)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Action thread: With Janis
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
Turning to June: Star Feather? That's a rather common name among Elves, isn't it? There are at least seven or eight that I have heard of, though I haven't met any of them.

First among the Elves, of course, is the Empress Star Feather of the Alliance of Elven Worlds and her Elven Armada that keeps the spelljamming lanes safe.

Then I know of a Professor Star Feather on the faculty of the Department of High-Energy Magic at the Great Atlantean University and Library on Yggdrasil. I never met her; I did not take any courses in that department, but she and her mother Corona, the Department Chair, were rather infamous for shaking the University with laboratory explosions. I did feel a few of those while I was there, studying Divination.

There is a Star Feather from ancient times, the Astral mapmaker whose maps many Astral travelers have been using since early in this Age millennia ago. It is said that she was an Elf, and her name is still printed on all of them, with that little star-like symbol in the corner, but I assume she is legendary, if she ever really existed as one person. It seems much more likely to me that it was a team of surveyors publishing under a common tradename, to be able to cover so much of the Astral Plane.

Perhaps that is how the name became popular among Elves, named after the mapmaker. Or the Empress.

There is a Star Feather who has visited Dumathoin's Realm from time to time on the Plane of Concordant Opposition. Her visits were a very long time ago while I happened to be away, and in several visits she brought us great gifts of sacred ProtoEmerald, immense blocks of it that we are still carving into things similar to these,
indicating his armor, shield, and axe.  When I heard of an Elf joining Dumathoin's favored, I speculated that perhaps the Elf who is now a Hand of Dumathoin was her descendant, and perhaps she is.

Then just in Sigil alone there are three that have had that name. There is an artist named Star Feather whose light sculptures I have seen on display in the upper class art shops along the finer boulevards in the Merchants' Ward. They seem to be made of nothing but colors of light, quite remarkable.

And there is a company named Star Feather, I assume there was at one time long ago a person behind it, that has been the landlord of much of the Lady's Ward for almost 10,000 years, I am told. Advertising signs on the townhouses for lease still say Star Feather Realty. I suppose that could be the same person as the artist, though that seems unlikely, or perhaps the artist is the original Star Feather's great-great-many-times-great-descendant, living off an inherited fortune with the leisure to be an artist. Even for Elves, that would be at least ten generations.

And finally, there is the Star Feather of MetroMagic who is your Junior Trading Partner, though I suppose that could be the same person as the Professor at the University, because I know that MetroMagic is funding the Divination Team at the University's Graduate School. I knew some students who worked on MetroMagic scrying projects there. But that Star Feather was in the Department of High-Energy Magic, as I said, not in the Department of Divination.

I suppose I should count the Star Feather in Durendold as an eighth one. We at Dumathoin's Realm had word that there was an Elf by that name aiding Father Kurzod with an artifact that was used in a Duergar attack to shatter his wards of the city. She... disposed of it, so that he could reinstate the wards. Though I now think that perhaps she is the same as your Star Feather at MetroMagic, so we are back to six or seven.

So all in all, it seems like a popular name among Elves, is it not? Is your Star Feather also at the University, by chance? Or do you happen to know if she is in fact a distant descendant of the one who gifted us with ProtoEmerald? I would like to bring a clarification back to the church with me.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »
"With all those Star Feathers, you could make a really big Star Pillow." Sable said, more under his breath then anything. This dwarf knew a lot, but it made the weasel more at ease to know that the dwarf seemed to belong to some religious fact-gathering cabal, and it took a whole church to keep up with him.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »
After a moment's silence, Sable turned his attention towards Sheerak. It wasn't like the usual bouts of attention he had given the others here, and certainly not like the attention he was paying June previous. It almost felt eerie, like a penetrating gaze, like Sable was peering through her.

(click to show/hide)

"So how did you and the Captain meet, if you don't mind my asking?" Sable started, the beginnings of casual conversation. "I'm feeling generous, so if you want to go question for question, I'll entertain it." he smirked. He seemed rather confident in himself.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
(click to show/hide)

As Ror was talking, Janis was struggling to keep her composure; it's not clear what emotions she was keeping in check.

She manages to say to him, You forgot another one, the Star Feather who owns the inn across the street, she bought it back when it was called Ladyfingers, and still lives on top floor, at least whenever she's in Sigil. That makes... nine!

Then Sable makes his remark about "Star pillows" and Janis loses it completely. The laughter she was holding in spills out, and she leans against Sable, laughing helplessly, repeating Nine Stars! Nine! If only! She manages I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing about... her! waving in the general direction of the top floor of the inn across the street, and then is taken by gales of laughter again.

June rolls her lips around as if she has a very sour candy in her mouth, matched by her pained expression as she shakes her head disapprovingly at Janis.

Master Ror, Janis knows there are not nine Star Feathers. I expect that all of the ones you mentioned are the same person. I am fairly certain about eight. The only one I am not certain about is gifting the Realm Of Dumathoin with blocks of a special type of emerald, but here at MetroMagic we accept special orders for Mineral and generally she is the one to fulfill them.

June looks back and forth apologetically between Ror and Janis.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:28:40 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »
(click to show/hide)

"Well Vir was..."

At this point, Vir interupts loudly and flies into their midst.It is my story, Sheerak, and you'll only mess it up.  I was the scouge and the boon of the open sea, as merciful as I was terrible, feared by every shoreland despot and raider, and feared by most inland as well.  I was master of my ship, beloved by my crew, and very popular at the ports of call, if you catch my drift.  But alas, it was not to last.  Upon a task of great bravery and perril, rescueing hundreds and hundreds of slaves and breaking the slaver's guild, my ship was ambushed, and we were killed to the last man, myself.  Seeing that I could not prevail alone, I vowed never ceaseing vengance against all of them, and went to gather a weapon I had not thought to need, and tragically, had not brought with me the first time, when my valiant crew was lost.  Mourning for them, I found the Sacred fountain in the Kale Mountains, and drank from it, hoping to gain the stregnth to overpower the entire slaver's guild.  I gained the power I sought, but attrached the attnetion of its guardians, who placed my second pirate curse on me.  At sunrise and at sunset, I become trapped as a Pixie Pirate figurine, the small charm you doubtlessly saw on Sheerak's neck prior to my arrival.  While it is a good likeness, I have to say its not much good for getting around.  I accepted this curse, and flew off to fight the slaver's guild before sunset.  I killed 9 of them, but was still slain, despite my new power.  I though myself finished, and the next thing I new, I was hale and whole in a 7 year old girl's bedroom. Apparently, I become the figurine again after death.  I flew off to kill the slavers, and this time I killed 10 before I was overcome, though I noticed there were more than the last time, and that I didn't recognize anyone.  Next I awoke in an antique shop.  Next I awoke in a Mage's study.  Each time I knew only the vague impression of the passage of time, and the slaver's had grown stronger, despite my culling.  Those who awoke me were either scared or curious, but never inclined to help me and never called me again.  The next time I awoke was in the presence of Sheerak here, from within the Slaver's cave.  She told me how she had set an ambush for the slavers with her lord father and a few retainers, and had destroyed their main force.  She found in their records where they had grown weary and wairy of my attacks, and had bought my statue, keeping me "safe" in their treasure hoard.  After learning they secret to releasing me, she more or less adopted me.  We rounded up the last of the slavers, and with my quest complete, I joined her and her father inland.  I have aided her and traveled with her every since."

Sheerak humffed, "That's one way to tell it."

"And how would you have explained my tale?"

Obviously hiding a smile, Sheerak turned to the group, "I found him in a cave and he's been following me ever since."

Virglowed brightly with anger, and flew up to stand above her head, purposfully blowing her hai into her face.

"And as for you, Sable, were your born with your
(click to show/hide)
  condition, or did you aquire it more recently?"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:31:46 AM by ieatfood7 »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
Then Sable makes his remark about "Star pillows" and Janis loses it completely. The laughter she was holding in spills out, and she leans against Sable, laughing helplessly, repeating Nine Stars! Nine! If only! She manages I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing about... her! waving in the general direction of the top floor of the inn across the street, and then is taken by gales of laughter again.

Sable gave June a 'Sorry' kinda look as he supported the gigglefit Janis, though his toothy smile perhaps told how sorry he really was. Hell, he even joined in the infectious laughter after a moment. It was hard not to, really.

After recovering, and regaining the ability to breath... Sable listened to the diminutive figure as he told the tale, and what a tale it was. He nodded at all the right moments, but never looked sad or unhappy for the pixie's plight, until near the end. "So... let me get this right. You have no knowledge of the passage of time, or of the world around you, while you're a statuette?" he paused, "So you get to hang around on a necklace next to those..." Sable points directly at Sheerak's chest, "... and you don't get to enjoy it? Now that... my friend, is a curse." he smirked, then gave Sheerak a wink.

"Now, to answer your question, no. I wasn't always such a sleek and amazing slink of a mink... or weasel... or really whatever the hell I am..." he cleared his throat. "No, I wasn't always like this. I was human once, long ago. Had a family, well, just my dad, that sorta stuff." he paused, "Back where I'm from, originally, the city of Meridian, there were these... stones.. that changed you. Fantastically. Mine turned me into this paragon of amazing that you see before you." He even spread his arms to model. He smiled the whole time, thrilled with being the star of his own story. Then he actually showed a sign of depression, "Dad didn't live to see me like this. His last memory of me was as I was, just a person. A lowly person scratching out a living in a town that'd gobble you up and spit out bones."

"Though, don't worry your pretty head. We... we being a team of also-rather impressive folks... stemmed the flow of the stones, and pretty much closed off the city. It was a shithole to begin with, but if you can survive a shithole of a town run by the worst scum I've *ever* seen, then well, you can survive anything. Sigil's nice. Quiet by comparison, sometimes." he remarked.

"I took the name Sable because when you're a sneak, a thief, and a information broker.... if you have the name Weasel you get stepped on pretty quick." he remarked, "That, and Sable sounds a lot better then any of the other names I could think up at the time."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:05:55 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
A little while into Vir's telling of his tale, Janis finally got a grip on her laughter, caught up in his story instead. She especially liked the moment when he woke to find himself possessed by a 7 year old girl.

Listening to Sable's story, she looks sad, empathetic for his lost family.

When he finishes, she waits a moment, then says If we're sharing like this... Sable already knows some of my story, and June knows all about me, probably more than she wants to know, grinning at June, but for the rest of you: I came from a world a lot like Sable's, and from a city a lot like Meridian in some ways, you know, downtown buildings a quarter of a mile high, but the city had real class, not nearly as nasty, and several times bigger and much more diverse. A very exciting place to live, 8 million people and 800 different languages. Sigil is the only other city I've ever lived in that can match it for having different flavors. Anyway, I was born human, but that doesn't play as well in Sigil as it did there, so I chose Tiefling, at least for here. It's really handy, and I like other creatures' reactions to Tieflings because they never know what to expect.

She looks at Sheerak. Genuine Tiefling, not just a look. She grins again, showing her forked tongue. But since we're playing show and tell, here is me Human. Her appearance shifts in a moment: Blond hair, brilliant blue eyes, pale skin; the tail vanishes. Otherwise she looks about the same as before, same height, muscles, and curves. And here is me, Tiefling again, in different shades depending on my mood. And where I'm going. Black tie, you know. Or a second story job, she says with a side glance at June. Janis laughs as she shifts again to Tiefling, and her skin gradually darkens to ebony. Very tiny filaments of fiery red, electric blue, and other colors form barely visible runic patterns across her skin, fading into view against the dark background; it's now clear they had been there before, not really visible until her skin darkened. Then the darkness fades back to the tawny tone she was before, and the filaments become much harder to see again, near invisible.

Janis looks at Ror. If you were away from The Realm Of Dumathoin a very very long time ago, then you must have a very very long story to tell. She grins. Then she goes over to the table, picks up the gold-rimmed crystal pitcher and a crystal goblet, and pours. The pitcher seems filled with water, but amber frothing liquid pours into her goblet. She offers it to Sable: Want a beer? Pale ale malt, I like the extra toasty flavor. Or if you want something else, I can pour whatever it is.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:48:56 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
Hmm.  My story...  Well, I was born and grew up in Dumathoin's Realm here on Concordant Opposition, where I was taught to fight by His warriors and learned magic from Dumathoin's own hands.  As I gained expertise in both areas, Dumathoin began to send me on missions pertaining to His interests outside the Realm.  Time, it seems, flows differently inside and outside His Realm, so while I was only home for a year or two between tasks, outside, hundreds had gone by.   On one particular trip, early in my travels, I returned to discover that Star Feather had gifted the blocks of ProtoEmerald I mentioned earlier.  I have undertaken many tasks for Dumathoin in my years, and plan on continuing so for a long time to come.

Thank you for the beer,
he says, taking the drink Janis poured for Sable.  With a bit of a smile, he comments, never try to slip a beer past a dwarf.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 05:54:24 PM »
She offers it to Sable: Want a beer? Pale ale malt, I like the extra toasty flavor. Or if you want something else, I can pour whatever it is.

"Eh, sure why not, thanks.  I prefer the bitter, hateful burn of a good whiskey but I'll never turn down a ... free...."

Thank you for the beer, he says, taking the drink Janis poured for Sable.  With a bit of a smile, he comments, never try to slip a beer past a dwarf.

"... drink." he said, a little surprised but taking it in stride. Apparently he was a big shot somewhere, so maybe...

"No no, totally alright, no hard feelings. In fact, since we're all going on this venture together... then perhaps a toast." he said, a smirk to Janis. "A toast to success, to friendships anew, and to the defeat of evil."
Link to my homebrews

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 07:18:15 PM »
I'll certainly drink to that.  However, I'm going to need a refill to do so, Ror says, walking over to the pitcher.  He starts to pour, and the smells of oak and warm honey begin to emanate from his mug.  To Success!  He drains the mug in one long swallow, and then pours himself another.   To new friends!  Again, Ror drains the mug in one gulp, and then pours himself another.    To the defeat of Evil!  One more time, he repeats the process, and then completes the toast with a low rumble of a burp.  Now, where were we?

Oh, excuse me.  Would anyone else like a drink?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:20:21 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »
I'll certainly drink to that.  However, I'm going to need a refill to do so, Ror says, walking over to the pitcher.  He starts to pour, and the smells of oak and warm honey begin to emanate from his mug.  To Success!  He drains the mug in one long swallow, and then pours himself another.   To new friends!  Again, Ror drains the mug in one gulp, and then pours himself another.    To the defeat of Evil!  One more time, he repeats the process, and then completes the toast with a low rumble of a burp.  Now, where were we?

Oh, excuse me.  Would anyone else like a drink?

With each pour, Sable holds a mug out to match him drink for drink. Whatever Ror was pouring, Sable would drink, and he seemed to handle it with the finest of Dwarven traditions. His muzzle prevented him from truly downing the drinks with the same proficiency as Ror did, but he no less finished every drink that was put before him. Though obviously not of Dwarven heritage in any definition of the term, he does his ancestors proud by not gagging or sputtering after each mug.

"We were getting to know each other before our grand campaign against the slavers, never a bad thing." he motions with his head towards Sheerak, then Janis, then June, "Especially if the company is nice." He said, with all the clarity of someone who had never touched the drink in his life.

"That's not to say we're not allowed our surprises. After all, what fun is life without a little surprise?" he smirked, "So, I hear it you're in the Information Business. Normally I'd consider that competition, but you've got a trusting face, so I won't take offense." he said, with a touch of humor.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:07:09 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Janis, still chuckling, snorts in mid-gulp of ale, and stands for a moment, not breathing at all, eyes watering. Then she swallows a few times and takes a sip to clear her throat. Recovered, she points at June, and says

{Janis}My Lords and Ladies and Masters and Mistresses, giving a sidelong glance at Sable at that point {Janis}our Most Excellent Inns Executive, June, is the reason we’re all calling each other these titles. I’m just Janis, to my friends. And I’ve never heard Sable addressed with any title, not even Mister, except maybe by the police… um, town watch, in Meridian. You know how they can be. So I’m just fine with calling you Sheerak, June will take care of calling you Lady Sheerak, I’m sure, on my behalf. And you can just be Ror. And you, she says to the Pixie, {Janis}can be… Captain Vir, the Merciful, Captain of the Resolute and King of the Unclaimed Sea, though you may have to fight a few sea Deities for that last part of your title. I’m sure you’re up to it. She grins at him, raises her mug, turns to June, and starts to give her a toast, {Janis}Here’s to June, but June quickly raises her hand, palm out, to cut Janis off, as June’s cheeks color.

{June}Yes, thank you, Janis, that’s quite enough, I’m sure you are about to say many flattering things about me. Too many. Then she turns to Ror, some trepidation in her eyes. {June}That distinctive aroma… it’s Dumath Kharrassch you’re drinking, isn’t it? An excellent choice, I’ll grant you that, but Sable… I admire your fortitude, but that brew has laid out Dragons, long before Dwarves. Before all of you are dozing on the furniture here, I had better move you into the conference room, if that’s all right with the Empress.

June eases herself from the desktop back into her desk chair, and touches the large, clear Crystal Ball in a stand to her right near the edge of the desktop, next to the pile of papers she had stacked. She says to the Ball, {June}My Lady?

After a moment, the Ball facing June suddenly spills golden light onto her face and the wall behind her. There is a roll like thunder, followed by a cascade of crashing clatters, and then a voice comes through the Ball in the echoing aftermath, excited, like the tinkling of bells. {Star}Hi, June! You’ve caught up with me in my lab, I have finally gotten to work on that wonderful idea you had about Fire Candy in different colors for the Inner and Lower Planar customers at Inn Champagne, and it’s close to working! I’ve even worked out different flavors of flame! But they’re still not stable enough to serve, they sometimes ignite and will char the table top. Even more interesting, if diners nearby have drinks with flammable vapors, booom!! I just simulated that in the lab, it really was spectacular, dishes and glassware flying everywhere, and I’m starting to clean up the mess right now. This candy could be weapons grade!! But then we probably shouldn’t put them in candy dishes, that’s not what you had in mind. The voice ends in an excited laugh. {Star}What an interesting experiment!!

June flinches reflexively.

{June}My Lady, I didn’t contact you about the Fire Candy, though thank you for that… dramatic update. Her voice is wry. {June}Janis collected Sable back from Factol Montgomery of the Sensates, and another she looks up at Vir {June}make that two, others responded to the posting… you asked if Janis would like to distribute it in front of the Sensates’ Civic Festhall and they came with her back to here. And another just came in the door; a Dwarf named Ror, a Hand of Dumathoin from His Realm in Concordant Opposition, has arrived and said he felt drawn here for reasons he did not know, but he said Dumathoin must have felt Metromagic has some task that would benefit from Ror’s skills, and is in Dumathoin’s interests. The Hand also inquired about a new Hand of Dumathoin who works for Metromagic, and said she is an Elf. I suspect that’s yourself. Master Ror carries Dumathoin’s Touch upon him. Quite a bit of it, she concludes.

While June talked, sounds of sweeping and clattering came from the Ball, but the noise stops when June mentions the Hand of Dumathoin. {Star}Ah. The Master Of Secrets Under The Mountain. I think Dumathoin is the craftiest of the Old Deities, and I’ve been pulled this way and that by His Thought recently, helping with three different wars around Durendold including one with the Illithids, and recruiting aid from several Outer Planes that will be to His benefit. I doubt He’s merely doing a return favor by sending us a Hand to help with the Illithids at the Rock. Perhaps He sees the wisdom of setting them back there to set them back everywhere; it’s seemed so to me. Well, whatever His net of reasons that He is casting, if it pleases you, you might tell Ror for me that he is more than welcome, and I look forward to meeting him and shaking Hand to Hand. Perhaps they can all go to the Rock of Bral and confer at the Trading Company, and I’ll meet them there, if it pleases them to do so. There is a pause, and then she chuckles and continues.

{Star}Wait, I have a delightful idea. The Illithid will be watching the Trading Company for signs, they always watch, just as I always invite watchers on the Illithid Embassy to let me know what they see.

But… Wings of Chartreuse is in emergency drydock at Bral, the ship took heavy damage on a patrol with two other Man-o-War Windblossoms when they met up with a standard squadron of four Neogi DeathSpiders, each attended by four MindSpiders. Unfortunately with those odds they had to destroy the Neogi without much chance of rescuing the slaves on board, and all three of our ships suffered some damage but no permanent casualties. So the crew has volunteered for other assignments for a while and are off around the Armada, training other ships with our latest little surprises, like Contingency weaponry. The crew will be coming back to Bral, and if they come through the Trading Company offices, and the Illithid are as watchful as ever, maybe the Illithid will think that the volunteers for my next strike, if there is to be one, will be military from the Armada instead of freelancers. The Illithid Dreadnoughts have all sorts of battle plans to deal with Armada forces, so a little misdirection could foul their preparations. They might even think we intend to assault the slave shipments instead of the compound, or catch them in transit, and divide their forces. I always like to move my opponent’s pieces on the game board as well as my own.
She laughs. {Star}Cat and mouse… and Polymorph the mouse.

{Star}So if it pleases them to plan in the conference room at Sigil instead of coming to Bral right away…There, I’ve just put a map in the Communications Ball in the conference room, and if it pleases Janis to show it to them, they could begin now, if they like. I’ll get back to cleaning up here. I expected Sable to sleep after three straight days awake with Erin, so I was going to meet him at Inn Champagne when he woke up in a while, but now with Ror there… It begins. The sounds of sweeping start again, punctuated by clatters.

Janis has walked around to stand behind June, in the wash of golden light. {Janis}Sure, Star, I’ll show them the map. Take your time cleaning up, honey, no problem. You’re only missing a Dumath Kharrassch party, courtesy of Ror. The sweeping stops, then suddenly resumes, a lot more vigorously. Bells of laughter comes tinkling out of the Ball.

June touches the Ball, and the golden glow and laughter cut off. She waves her left hand over her shoulder at the twenty feet of blank wall behind her between the desk and the neat, long row of dark wood filing cabinets on the far wall. {June}There are more pitchers and glassware inside for beverages. I’ll arrange for a breakfast buffet to be brought in from Inn Champagne, croissants, muffins, breads, flavored butters, cheeses, fruits, nuts, meat pies, fruit pies. If you are hungry for something else, please just ask.

Janis looks blissful. {Janis}Hobbit pies? That can’t be serious question, why would we want to eat anything else? She turns and walks straight at the blank wall to the side of June’s desk in full stride. Just before she touches it, an archway appears.

The sudden entryway is near the rear right-hand corner of the room, just beyond June’s desk, and passes into the front right-hand corner of the room beyond, on its shorter wall. The room is a rectangular conference room, about thirty feet by forty-five or fifty feet, and fifteen to twenty feet high. The room is otherwise plain, with no apparent door or other architectural feature. It is lit to a comfortably bright reading level for human eyes, by soft light from everywhere; there are no shadows in the room, not even under the large conference table in the center of the room.

The walls and ceiling are covered in a repeated pattern of large, square, polished wood panels, with raised centers and gently scrolled edges, a medium-light oak colored wood with a complex darker grain. A long woodgrain tabletop stretches away from the entrance across the polished floor. The floor and table are in a slightly darker wood that matches the grain of the walls; both floor and table have a lighter grain highlight that matches the lighter wood coloring of the walls. They are an elegant inverse coloration of each other, floor and table against walls and ceiling.

The table is about ten feet by twenty-five feet, oriented the same way the room is: its long dimension runs with the room's longest side. It is almost centered in the room from side to side, perhaps a couple of feet closer to the lefthand wall than the righthand wall. It is not centered in the room from front to back. Its foot is at the end of the room where the entryway was, and is about fifteen feet from the wall. Its head end is closer to the wall at the other end of the room, about ten feet from the wall.

There are a variety of armchairs and stools around the table and along the walls, in many combinations of shapes, sizes, and coverings, upholstered, leather, stone, and a few in metal, designed for the comfort of many shapes and sizes of creatures, though most of the furnishings are in medium to small sizes for humans to halflings.

Along the walls, there are smaller tables, trays, crystal and gold, pitchers and goblets, gold-trimmed carafes filled with a clear colorless liquid, and other simple but elegant furnishings.

Looking clockwise around the table, each of the eleven seats is unique: At the foot of the table, an armchair upholstered in red leather and octagonal ruby buttons, in the center of the ten-foot end. To its left, a thickly padded stool upholstered in bright violet leather with gold trim, at the foot of the table near the corner. On the left side of the table just around that corner, an ornately carved, tall straight-backed chair with raised arms in several colors of inlaid wood, sized larger than human. Further up the table on the left, a very comfortable-looking, very large armchair upholstered in a soft tan leather, almost as big as a couch but still a single seat. At the head of the table at the far end of the room, on the left another tilting armchair in black leather with seven heavy legs, human sized, is pushed back; the top surface of the table is slightly scuffed in front of it. To its right, a contoured, shorter armchair with a very broad seat, in a glittering silvery metal, is pushed in.

On the right side of the table, almost at the head, a tall, blue leather upholstered armchair with buttons in gems of many colors and shapes, with a Crystal Ball to its left on a small metal stand. To the left, down the right side of the table, a green leather upholstered armchair with overstuffed, comfortable padding and fine wood trim. Next, a tallish stool in silver-gray ash, with a comfortably contoured and polished black stone top, near the corner at the foot end. To its left, a gold-upholstered stool standing on clear, cut crystal legs like gems, scattering light, almost at the corner of the table, between the foot of the table and the wall. There are other chairs and stools along the walls, all different.

Janis walks into the room, picks up the gold stool with gemlike legs from the right side of the table, carries it along the table and sets it down in front of the Crystal Ball, pushing the blue upholstered chair out of the way further toward the upper corner of the table. She touches the Ball and an image appears in it. Setting both hands on the Ball, she stretches them apart and the image expands out from the Ball. Janis rotates her hands, continuing to push them apart, and the image takes on Dimensions. The image has annotations and colors; a map. She pushes the top edge down till the image floats above the table, easy to see.

She looks around to make sure everyone has come in, except June, and as the last one enters, the archway vanishes. The wood paneled wall is unbroken. {Janis}Now that we’re private, and Scryblocked, here you go, all, gather round if you want to see where you are volunteering to assault.

Looking around the table and meeting each one’s eyes in turn, Janis addresses everyone. Her casual manner in the anteroom is gone; she is all business, with military bearing, a professional officer delivering a crisp briefing. {Janis}You're signed up for a fairly short stint of duty, I expect, regarding an impending attack on the well-organized and deadly efficient Illithid slaver operation, deep inside the Rock of Bral. You'll be paid pretty well, if that’s your interest, but from what I have seen, your own personal feelings were quite in favor of taking on this assignment; this kind of unconscionable organization just isn't to be tolerated. It's what brought you to lead this kind of life in the first place.

Over the last week or so, Star has been putting the word out for companions and more may be on their way from distant ports, worlds, and planes, by spelljammer ship, magic, or other means. You here are the lucky ones, enjoying Hobbit pies, For the others, if they arrived at Bral, they were escorted under cover directly to quarters. The only others they would have seen besides each other are those who work for The Trading Company there, that’s Metromagic’s presence on the Rock, and I’m confident they look like they wouldn't be given to conversation. No one will have visited the city of Bral or even seen outside the compound; security has been tight for obvious reasons.

I can tell you about the Rock of Bral in general terms. I haven’t been into the city much myself. Star can brief you about the situation there, the politics, and any other questions about surface life there that you may have. I won’t waste your time with speculation.

Bral is a well-known asteroid city, a mercantile hub for all of Wildspace, ruled by a Prince, Andru, whose policy is peace for prosperity, meaning anything for money. Though slavery is officially outlawed, so is much of the economy on Bral, where anything that can be shipped can be bought. In that way it’s a lot like Sigil, except it serves the inhabitants of Prime Material Plane worlds with Spelljammers, rather than the inhabitants of the Outer Planes.

The only truly serious offense on Bral that will get action by the Prince, and everyone else who lives there, is fooling with or fouling their limited atmosphere. Everyone will cooperate to hunt down a party using too much in the way of Fire-based spells, or spells like Cloudkill.

The dark of its history, sorry, that was Sigil jargon, the hidden truth of its history is Bral was a Forge, a gigantic Dwarven Spelljamming mountain from ancient times, abandoned when the ores ran out. Its interior is riddled with tunnels and caverns, mostly beautifully hand-hewn according to Star, I haven’t seen them myself, for the Dwarves' mining and manufacturing base.

Janis looks at Ror, then back to the map, pointing out areas.

{Janis}The oldest Dwarven sections, closest to the surface and near the modern-day Spelljammer docks, were vast underground warehouse complexes, and this is where the Illithids base their operation. The old open-bar cages for goods are ideal slave pens. The underground stream, cycling endlessly to and from the surface lake due to the effects of the Rock's uneven gravity plane… yes, it has flat gravity, not round… supplies fresh water. The Prince won’t like it if you foul the water supply either.

The caverns go on for unmapped miles. Most are unexplored, and most of the curious explorers don't return, except for guess who. Star had to go in there with a lot of Nondetection and other Effects, I didn’t ask and she probably wouldn’t tell me all of it anyway. Her efforts to Scry the underground corridors themselves have been mostly unsuccessful, as have Divinations to find out why. The Illithids are interested only in their defensible area, and consider others' enforced ignorance to be an advantage.

I’ve been told that the Royal family has raided the slavers from time to time, when their political situation would be strengthened by a show of legal force. Lately, Star has been inviting adventuring bands to do the job for them, thus saving Royal expense, so the Prince has closed his eyes to the brief disturbance of the peace that sometimes ensues. After all, the Illithid ambassador can't protest an illegal raid on an illegal operation.
Janis chuckles.

{Janis}This time, Star tells me that the Illithids received information from somewhere that there was about to be yet another raid. This was no surprise to them anyway, I’m quite sure; you heard Star say they watch us, we watch them. From what we have seen, they've increased the security, trying to make their underground fortress impregnable. That's why you're here; perhaps it is, and perhaps it isn't, but you and the rest of your little high-powered force are going to try.

All of you are at this meeting with each other because apparently the time has arrived for the party to begin to plan in earnest about the coming attack. I saw the look on Star’s face in the Ball when she said to start, it was her “I See The Signs” look, if you know her well enough. I don’t know what Signs she saw, but I would trust her on this, she sees a lot of things that other people don’t. You can ask her what Signs, when she gets here, she’s sure to have a sensible explanation… well, an explanation.

There is a lot of thinking to do, about possible traps and ambushes, magical and non-magical defenses and counterattacks, what to do if slaves are caught in the crossfire... The slaves are what this little game is about, after all, and if you think about it just a bit, you’ll realize that neither side wants to have them dead.

Your intructions are simple, though your task is not: plan as best you can, and coordinate your efforts well; the enemy's strength may be uncertain, but is certainly too strong for any less than best efforts to have a likelihood of success. Feel free to ask questions, to gather whatever information you think you need, but there may not be much available, so be prepared for contingencies, always. Be prepared for the worst. Always.

You can see on the map, only the most commonly used areas have been fortified enough for safe passage; the rest of the tunnels and caverns are in various states of disrepair and ruin.  Many tunnels have collapsed, especially in rear areas.

The parts of the Compound in use by the Illithids have been labeled -- the rest of the areas are not in use, either because they are (a) in bad repair, (b) inconvenient and difficult to get to, (c) partially flooded, for some areas near the river, or (d) on the other side of the Rock's gravity plane and therefore seem reversed in gravity. Of course, where the Illithids are now seems reversed in gravity from the viewpoint of someone standing over the other side of the gravity plane.

Janis runs her right index finger along the blue area on the map stretching from top left out to the right and around to the bottom.

{Janis}The gravity plane in a lot of this mapped area is rather uneven, and runs very close to floor level. There are some places where it comes up slightly, and several where it dips down; the river follows the gravity plane and its acceleration back and forth as its "up" and "down" oscillate, spiraling the rushing foam crazily around the walls through the rapids in the passages of the uneven rear areas, keeps it flowing. Star offered me a rapids ride through there, but I haven’t taken her up on it yet. She likes ships a lot more than I do. I’m an Air Force girl myself, not Navy. Oh. Air Force is… well, never mind that. Ask me later, if you want to know.

The guards for the open-barred slave pens are mostly Umber Hulks, in some of these lettered areas. If you don’t know about Umber Hulks, Star can tell you all about them. I heard she had some for allies in her latest little war helping Dumathoin’s folk. No wonder she is a Hand of Dumathoin now.

Now listen up. These are the lettered places on the map.

AA is the Auction Block.

This is the public area of the compound; she says it’s the only place that the buyers see.  The river enters here from the surface, and buyers are brought down the river by a nice, swanky ferry.  The ferry stops at the dock and the buyers are offloaded; they can browse the pens to check out the stock which is on sale that particular day.  The large central area there is the small amphitheater where the auction takes place.

Janis points at an area at the top left corner of the map. {Janis}For the most privileged guests, this island of highly carved and polished rock in the center of the river is supposed to give a scenic, formal area for an elegant dignitaries' reception to admire the glorious Dwarven handiwork throughout this part of the caverns. Even the areas that have been left naturally rough are artistically positioned, framed by ornately carved surroundings. She says negotiations with big buyers for larger groups of slaves are often conducted there, after inspections in the pens are finished.

From what intelligence I’ve heard, the Illithids are neither interested in, nor affected by, the Dwarven artistry, but they do not hesitate to use the business advantage of having some of their customers be awestruck by their surroundings, and consider the advantage to be a fringe benefit of this site for their operations. I’ve done the same with my own business negotiations. Always negotiate from a place of seeming strength if you can, that shows off your power.

Once everyone has their purchases finalized, the buyers reboard the ferry and are taken back up the river to the surface.  Most buyers are completely ignorant even of the existence of the rest of the compound.

BB. Okay, that’s where the Slave Pens are.

The Illithids keep the hundreds or tens of hundreds of slaves here, in open-barred pens which are inset a few feet into the floor. Remember that there are Umber Hulk guards circulating all through these areas.

CC, over there, is supposedly living quarters.

It’s this island in one of the lakes. The buildings there are larger, and furnished as barracks.  When the Illithids are in the Compound, they have rooms there as well as any non-Illithid help they have. They practically stack the Umber Hulks up in close quarters when they have to rest, which isn’t often. Umber Hulks can go for a long time without rest.

DD. The Warrens.

You can sort of picture it, Star thinks this area used to be one enormous room.  However, the roof collapsed some time in the past, and what's left is a maze of twisty, rubble-filled passages wrapping around the bases of massive, ornately carved columns that disappear into low, uneven remains of a tumbled-down ceiling.  The roof doesn't look too stable, though Star says the Illithids have no record of further collapses in the time they have used this area and believe it’s safe to walk through. Yep, she can read Illithid writing, Star says she learned it from the library on the Spelljammer when she was Captain, so she took the time to steal records while she was in there, and translated them. It looks like the only reason the Illithids use this area at all is that it provides the fastest access from the Pens to the Auction Block.

EE, this back area, is storage.

This area has a lot of small buildings and cages with supplies and other various and sundry items.  Only part of it is being used -- the sections further from the Pens is still mostly rubble.

That’s it for the map. Now here are some other points that Star has worked out. Like I said, the Illithids will take great pains not to hurt the slaves and so will we. They have to be alive at the end of this, or it's all pointless.

On the other hand, the Empire is not going to move out or abandon this area unless we force them out. The Empire has put a lot of time and money into this operation, and they won't abandon it. Besides, where else are they going to find somewhere that's so hard for people to Scry into?  It's a great natural defense. Negotiate from strength; fight from a place of strength, too.

If the Empire has an idea for a defense, they may be able to come up with something on short notice, and given enough time, their resources and reach are both vast. I should point out to you that's why almost no one who crosses the Empire lives for long afterward. Think about that if you feel you still want to do this.

Last, and I think this is Star’s least favorite point, although we all recognize that there may be some collateral damage to the scenery because we’re a violent crew, and want your first priority to be the destruction of the operation whatever it takes, destroying the site to save it is not a good idea, and angering the Prince by seriously affecting the surface dwellers is also not good business for The Trading Company. If he kicks us off-world, it will be that much harder to keep a close watch over the Illithids afterward.

That’s all of it that I know. I suggest you all get down to planning, talk about what you can do, what you need, and how you can work together. If you’ve been a lone operator in the past, this operation may require you to change your style and open up more than you are accustomed to doing.

Think of it this way, it’s a fair trade, because the others here will have to do the same, for you all to make the best plan to get yourselves and the slaves out alive.

Janis sits down on the gold and crystal stool, takes a long pull on her ale to wet her throat after all that talking, and looks around the conference room expectantly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:14:34 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
Sable was silent for a moment after Janis finished, looking at the map and thinking. He paced about, then looked to the gathering, then paced some more. Finally, he spoke. "We're all great boasters, braggarts, and liars when it comes to what our adventuring has given us and what our talents are. Figure I'll break the ice first and fess up. First off, master dwarf, I owe you an apology." he turned to Ror. "Some time ago, I don't even remember when, I and my companions were given a gift by, well, fickle fortune really. Magical talents that, well, work best in groups. Mine lets me control how strong the alcohol in a beverage is, when I'm drinking with a partner, or a group. In theory, I could drink a dragon under the table, and walk a straight path to the door, and while I've never put that to the test, I'd like to embellish that I could. So if we can get all the Illithid involved in this slaver camp in one room for a grand toast, I can render them all unconscious with the first sip of whatever wine they bring to the table. Who knows, may even give them a mean case of the dead." he smirked. "Now, you all ask, how do we get them to all offer up a toast? Why, a good day at the auction house of course." He said with a smile, and a grandeous expression, arms flared to the sides.

"Well, I'd say if they're expecting an assault, so let's not give them one. They open their front door to buyers, so I say we pose as buyers." he offered. "We dress rich, we take the trip, and we see what they present as a front. Myself and the good captain can sneak about and learn the lay of the land, find out what they've reinforced and what they've left to rot... as it were. Information is vital, and we need to know what they've put up since yesterday, let alone since the last time Janis got any intel on this operation."

He held up a hand, "Now, before any of you ask 'But Sable, how will someone as dashing and charming as you escape the gaze of the guards and the probes of the Illithid?'..." and he hoisted himself up onto the table. During the jump, Sable's form almost seemed to deflate, diminishing quickly until he stood upon the table, a mere four inches tall.

"This isn't my best BUT... I wanted to at least be able to hold a conversation. I know a few other tricks, fun at gatherings and socials..." he smirked, "... but bottom line there's almost no place on any plane that I can't sneak into. Folks overlook what's tiny and beneath them, and no psionisist can find me. A helpful talent I picked up years ago, in a city that chews up and spits out the unprepared." the diminutive weaseloid continued as he walked along the now-expansive tabletop.

"Captain, if we're going to go the roguish route of pretending we're buyers you're the one I'm worried most about breaking cover, no offense. You can tag along with me if we're going to scout the place while everyone else checks the latest bits of security, both magical and mundane. If they know that Star's been doing some hiring, maybe they've done some hiring of their own. Check the guest list, as it were, and see who's not Illithid or Hulk down there."

"Also, I don't know how many of you can see in the dark, but I can see just fine in the dark, maybe even better then I see in lit areas. I can also peer through solid objects, out to about thirty paces..." he paused, "Don't worry ladies, I only invade privacy if asked or invited."

He continued his parade around the tabletop, "And summing up the cheats and tricks that Sable uses to do what he does best, in a pinch, I can pull almost anything I need from any cast shadow, though I've never tried to pull anything bigger then my hand out. Sometimes I get exactly what I want, other times I get something like what I want. It's not completely reliable, which is why I save it for pinches."

Another pause, while Sable walked over to the map, and gave it a once over. "So that's my plan. Pretend to be interested in making a purchase while scouting around their security. It'll get us in the front door without a fight, I just need someone with a little more battle in their blood to figure out where to go from there, unless..." he paused again, "Unless we have enough currency on hand to buy a majority of what's for sale, and then work on a way to either buy the rest, or steal back the coin used in the purchase? Something like the 'Catch and Release' that the guards do."

"Barring that, we pose as buyers, get to the heart of their auction house, and then slaughter them all. That's a plan someone else is going to make. It's against my religion to think of unsubtle plans." the diminutive Sable stated, and seemed to be done talking... for the moment.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:26:15 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
The wall suddenly opens into an archway again, and June comes into the conference room, followed by a bulky figure in a brilliantly polished golden suit of plate mail.

The suit of gold has a dense complexity of interlocking pieces. On front and rear is a Flaming Skull with an octagon inscribed around it. Mithril reinforcement peeks out from the very fine spaces between pieces. Despite the reinforced bulk, he moves as if it is weightless on him. Protected Potion holders are in the gauntlets for quick handling, two on each side. At his hip is a glittering greatsword, made of solid gold, without other ornamentation; octagon patterns run the entire length of the blade, and the grip is octagonal rather than cylindrical. The sword is glowing with a pure, pearly white light. A matching octagonal gold shield, also decorated with skull and circumscribed octagon, is in its holder on his back behind one shoulder. A beautiful crossbow with an intricate winding mechanism is clipped behind his other shoulder. Large and small gold pouches line the belt of the armor. From two of them, thick packs of crossbow bolts peek out.

(click to show/hide)

Conversation is underway but stops.

The golden figure surveys the room slowly, evidently taking in the occupants one by one. A very pretty Tiefling woman with a curly tail and spiky, revealing armor sits on a gold-topped crystal stool in front of a large Crystal Ball, with a gold-trimmed crystal mug of ale in her hand. Around the room are a broad Dwarf holding a mug with only ale suds at the bottom, another large Tiefling woman with bat wings, a Pixie bristling with swords sitting on her shoulder, and an elegant weasel-looking creature standing on two legs. A partly filled mug is next to him, too, sitting on the table.

June swings the trays up onto serving tables along the side wall of the room. {June}Breakfast just arrived, along with two of the best from the Prime Temple of Wee Jas, Ruby Knight Vindicator Μαγεία της εντολής, who has just left… Janis, you know Knight Ordo, a long-time friend of the Empress… and Paladin Ήρωας του Θανάτου, who may be staying to join this expedition, or perhaps not. In either case, he is staying at MetroMagic to meet with the Empress when she gets here, but he could join you in the briefing now, rather than staying with me in the anteroom, if he is coming with you.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:13:07 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
The aromas from the breakfast trays drift across the conference room, setting mouths watering. Hobbit meat pies, fruit pies. Hot apples, cinnamon, a trace of ginger… It’s intoxicating.

The figure in armor, clad helm to boot in gold, has rested his dark, sunken eyes on the Pixie, an expression of surprised wonder on what little can be seen of his face... and a trace of hunger.

(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »
After June's introduction, Ror stands up and walks over to the serving tables, refilling his mug and pouring a second.  An undead paladin?, he says, quirking an eyebrow.  You don't see many of those, but of all places, you'd certainly find one in Sigil.  Ror walks over to the gold clad paladin with both mugs, extending one to the newcomer.  My name is Ror Fatefist.  Well met Paladin of Wee Jas.  With the greeting, Ror raises his own mug and takes a long pull.

Once his mug is drained, Ror walks back to the serving tables, refills his mug, takes a large plate of assorted pies, and walks back to his seat at the table.  Sir Paladin, we were just starting to tell each other about our particular talents and how they might be of use in the upcoming...festivities.  I may as well go next.

I have been blessed to have Dumathoin Himself teach me an ancient magic, practiced by few for eons.  It is similar to modern magic in many ways, and can emulate it in some ways, but does have some key differences.  I won't get into too many details here, but much of it's focus is on individual physical enhancements for combat and area of effect spells.
  Ror pauses to take a large bite of meat pie, and then continues.  Among my other skills are some small ability with detection and information gathering,  I can call up a sort of Arcane Elemental Companion, and I am competent enough with this, he says, touching the emerald waraxe at his belt. 

As for your suggestion Ror says, looking at Sable, it definitely has its merits.  I'm not sure how our new friend will feel about impersonating slave buyers though, nodding towards Corporal.  In other news, given that Bral was once a Dwarven stronghold, once we get down and dirty with the planning, I may be able to find out some more information that others were denied.  At that, Ror finishes the first meat pie, and starts on a second, looking around expectantly.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
(click to show/hide)

As Ror digs into the food, he begins to feel a transformation settling on him.

Each bite of pie spills over with flavors and textures on nose and palate. The meats are soft enough to dissolve with a single chew but just resistant enough for heartiness, rich but not gamy, and marinated in a complex of spices. The vegetables are cooked just to tenderness, still retain their distinct textures, and their fresh flavors leap out as he chews them. In the apple pie, sweet and tart apples in several colors are in each bite, flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, hints of ginger and lemon, and other spices too complex to identify separately. The light brown crusts of both pies are flaky, crispy to bite, but not a single flake is on the dish; they break off perfectly clean. And every bite is the same perfect temperature, with that hot out of the oven smell that carries the most aroma, but cooled just enough for eating.

The pies are not simply the best pies. The pies are not simply the reason there is a queue for seating at Inn Champagne at most hours of the day or night.

These Hobbit pies are even more than that. As Ror finishes his first piece, he feels a near-Magical quality growing inside, the delight to his entire being from eating these wonderful flavors that are so intense, and so complex; he feels nearly transported to a place of gustatory heaven. If this were a Plane Shift, it would be to the Plane of Delicacies.

Not sighing is almost impossible.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
The diminutive figure on the table looks over towards Ror, "Good to know, on each count. Anything that the Captain and I cannot find out as scouts, you can find as a cleric. As for the plan, in my opinion the best plans are the plans that challenge your view of the world. Lots of people say they would do *anything* to free someone from slavery. Let's see how that adds up." He said, then turned towards the newcomers.

To the paladin, he gives a nod. "Paladins are champions, we can always use more. Welcome to our little club." He gestured to the others with a smirk, then turned his attentions to June.

"I must say, June, I've never seen you in such spirit. The skip in your step as you bring us not only fine foods but new company. The smile on your face of a job well done. You look so proud, such a spring in your step, and might I say..." the four-inch tall weasel pauses for a moment, "... You're looking taller then last I remember."
Link to my homebrews

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »
June was moving toward the archway but stops, standing in it. She turns back toward the tiny weasel with teasing seriousness. {June}And you, Master Sable, are looking… much closer to a proper size. I’m glad to see that your view of what is an effective height is… flexible.

The Tiefling sitting on the gold stool with clear legs, faceted like gemstones, looks back and forth between Sable and Ror, then at June and the still open archway. She reaches toward the tabletop and quickly brings her hands together; a large image hovering there suddenly shrinks, and then vanishes. Then she gives a grinning aside to June and Sable before turning to the Paladin.

{Janis}Sable, I hate to tell you, you don’t’ have a chance with June, Ordo just left. You should see the two of them wave lists at each other; I think they both have a bad case of “lists at first sight”. She’s looking taller because she’s trying to stretch to his height.

June, honey, I may like my men a bit more unruly, but you still have great taste, that natural gleam on Ordo’s skin and hair… he really looks hot. I don’t know why you don’t just borrow my Shrink Wand for an evening and ask him out... or just get one for yourself. It’s a MetroMagic stock item, all the Trading Associates have one. There must be a dozen in the warehouse,
she finishes, pointing toward the back wall of the conference room. She laughs as June’s cheeks turn bright red.

(click to show/hide)

The Tiefling on the stool has a long curly scaled tail but is mostly human. She is about 5'8". Lithe. Athletic. Scanty, spiky armor, with reinforced elbows and forearms. Long, very dark green boots with reinforced toes. Geometric gemstones trim her armor, boots, belt, and her skin in a few places as well. Her tan skin has a faint multicolored tracery of very fine Runic lines running everywhere. Her honey-blond hair flows down just beyond shoulder length, and tiny pinpoints of flame dance in her eyes. She licks her full lips with a slightly forked Tiefling tongue, that flickers as she says,

{Janis}Hi, I'm Janis... Janis Fortune. It's nice of you to come here, Ήρωας του Θανάτου, did I pronounce that correctly? Not sure I got my tongue around that one. June is much better, I don't know how she gets names like yours exactly right after hearing them only once, I'd bet a platinum piece she didn't ask you to repeat it. No disrespect intended, but do you go by anything shorter?

Again no disrespect intended, I'm sure you can appreciate, as someone from Order like everyone else I've met at the Prime of Wee Jas... I've got my military reputation to live up to, and I don't permit leaks, not on my watch. This is a confidential briefing, so before we all go too much further into life stories and what we can do well to beat on other creatures, and what plans we have about doing just that... I'd like to know, are you in, or out? Or do you need more information to decide?

I’ll sum up the situation like this. Star, the lady you are waiting to see, is putting together an expedition to disrupt a big slaver operation by the Illithid Empire, you know, the purple tentacle-faced ones who like to eat brains after they fry them with mind blasts, and she is inviting the crazy creatures like us to go with her… yeah, I’m one of them too, though I’m not going along on this particular little trip… who enjoy near-death experiences. Or at least feel they can’t just let the Illithids continue unchecked. I’m not going to tell you the exact location for this operation, yet, but transportation will be provided. I guess it’s fair, though, since you’re a Paladin, to tell you it’s not on the Lower Planes. Maybe you’d like that better, for that matter, but if so, I would be disappointing you later. Any other questions? I suppose I can decide what questions I can answer. Star did “invite” me to do this briefing… yeah, she never asks, or orders, she just invites… even though it’s her head they will try to fry. And yours.
Janis looks around the group, and then back at the Paladin.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:07:20 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
...Anything that the Captain and I cannot find out as scouts, you can find as a cleric.

At being called a Cleric, Ror winces slightly and makes a face, but it is gone quickly and he doesn't say anything.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:34:31 PM by FireInTheSky »