Author Topic: Action thread: With Janis  (Read 99590 times)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: Action thread: With Janis
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Let me throw some more ideas. Lord Sable, since you are proposing we dig the slaves out, do you have any means of digging a huge area, like a spell to move earth? If you do, we can use it produce landslides. Also, what spells do we have to take out the bridge from CC to BB?[/color]

Sable smiles at Ror's exclamation. "Do I have the means? No. I don't have the means. However, I'll guarantee that Ror does." he smirks. "As for the bridge, that all depends on what it's made of, and how eager the Prince is to have the slave encampment removed. Wood? Start a fire. Stone? Start a Fatefist."
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »
Janis chuckles. {Janis} Blow up a bridge? Just wait till our girl Star gets here, and tell her you need an explosion. You'll have to hold her back.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
Sheerak's COMMUNE

(click to show/hide)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
Sheerak comes out of her "trance" with weary yet energized eyes.

Our plan to drink with the slavers will not work, as they would not drink with us, though they can be bluffed on occassion.  All entrances by water are guarded, though I do not know how heavily.  This building is being watched by agents of the slavers.  We are right that the slavers will inspect any potential buyers, though I do not know in what detail.  There are no obvious defenses against Gating into the compound, though there may be hidden safeguards or alarms.  There are more threasts there than just ilthiads and umber hulks.  Concerning whether to leave immediately or not, "prudence" is advised.  None of these facts my be questioned.

She takes a seat and the wooden chain, slightly drained.

With that in mind, I suggest the following.  I thinkn sneaking a large force in by water is out of the question, as the guards there will be loking for that.  The diea of "poisoning" them with drink was good, but will not work. 

Option one, we all try to Gate into the warrens, as that is the least likely to be guarded against such teleporting.  I can do a test gate first to see what safeguards they have...if alarms go off, then we can use that diversion to hit elsewhere, or I can open gates to numerous locations, settign off all their alarms.  It would put them on alert, but would make it nearly impossible to know where we are, spreading their forces wide.

Option two, we fight our way in from the water, leaving some near the buyers section to watch for any escapes.  We can then blow the bridge if needed.

Option three, we pose as buyers, play it by ear, but know that we are unlikely to get deep into the compound on that cover.  This will at least get us in the door, give us the element of surprise, and allow us to fight a smaller portion of guards first before the reinforcements arive.  The downside is that we would then have to fight through the warrens with them on high alert.

Vir, after studying the map, says Or I could convince them to let us inspect the merchendice in the back.  I'm sure they would lead us through ith my pretty face leading the way.  He shoots a mischeivious smile at her.

Sheerak hesitates longer then would seem nessisary for such an outlandish plan, then shakes her head.  If you take point, you will give your identity away, and then who will follow the buyers back to their masters?

Vir stands straighterWho better tot ake point?  They can't read my mind, but won't even know that I am feeding them false surface thoguhts and allignment. 
(click to show/hide)
  If they detect thoughts that back it up, I can convince them that we are looking for a long term supplier and that we need to see how many of what quality slaves they ahve on hadn at any time...it would be unreasonable to take their word on it or to accept that they casn provide for any order, as they know as well as us that thety only survive by managing their size of opperation.  I'm sure our Dimunitive friend Sable can slip into a buyers bag if needed, though I expect I can convince them to stay with you at the docks, and then if the alarm is raised, you can just knock them out to question later.  This will work fine!  and if you want to test you gate ahead of time, we can have any group member who doesn't want to be at the docks hidden deep in the warrens to come out at the proper time.  This is perfect for me![/color]

Sits straight, looking straight ahead.  Vir, familiar with her, knows that for her, this is the equivilent of a normal person rubbing their chin in deep contemplation.

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »
This building is being watched by agents of the slavers.... There are more threasts there than just ilthiads and umber hulks.  Concerning whether to leave immediately or not, "prudence" is advised.  None of these facts my be questioned.

So, when time to depart arrives, I should be seen kicking you out of the building, to confuse their agents. Using the local law enforcement will not do - they will ask questions. And who will doubt a Paladin of Wee Jas is kicking out chaotic evildoers?

Vir, after studying the map, says Or I could convince them to let us inspect the merchendice in the back.  I'm sure they would lead us through ith my pretty face leading the way.  He shoots a mischeivious smile at her...
Vir stands straighterWho better tot ake point?  They can't read my mind, but won't even know that I am feeding them false surface thoguhts and allignment. 
(click to show/hide)
  If they detect thoughts that back it up, I can convince them that we are looking for a long term supplier and that we need to see how many of what quality slaves they ahve on hadn at any time.

Lord Captain Vir, Lady Sheerak, I think it is a safe bet to think that you have some unspoken means of communication. So if split in two groups, and each of you is in a different group, the groups can communicate through you?

So, Lord Vir and Lord Sable and some muscle other than me pose as buyers, while a second group takes is gated to the Warrens? The timing should be set such that the second group arrives the Warrens in the precise moment, because even if they do not have alarms in there, there might be landslides and such pitfalls that make noise and attract attention.

Lady Sheerak, if you must test the Warrens, it will not be safe to go alone, because of such pitfalls that might be. Perhaps if you take Lord Sable, he might sneak in and map the details of the area around the Living Quarters - where landslides might be provoked, which structures can be toppled by a dwarf, etc. This will be useful in distracting the Umber Hulk.

A curiosity, Layd Sheerak. For how long your gates can be open?

The Paladin slowly takes a step back, and scan the room for a shadowy place to sit and relax. There, he slowly takes his helm off, blinks and rubs his eyes. His eyes cautiously scan the whole room.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:49:39 AM by lgallindo »

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
The Gate doesn't stay open long, probably a minute or so, and only as long as I concentrate on it.  But I can use it as often as I like.  I can open a gate to the warrens now, to see if an alarm goes off, and then close it immediately.  You're right that Vir an I can talk over distances.  His first birthday present.

As for leaving, we can leave by gate.  ONly those going in the front need to worry about having been seen entering.  Vir didn't come out until we were inside.  I was seen, but I will not be going in the front door.  Sable appears to be a known accomplice of Miss Fortune, so should not be in the buyer's party.  Additionally, we will need soemone in the warrens to look for traps. 

Vir could go alone, as his job is more infiltration and spying, but some muscle would be appropriate so that his team can fight more securly when the time comes.  Though, if he goes alone and acts scared when the troubles break out, the Ilthiad may bring him with them into their stronghold, giving us a telepathic spy on the inside, ready to attack whenever needed.  Even if they take his weapons, he can strike them fiercely when they are otheris occupied.

Miss Fortune, do you have any items which Vir could slip onto the other buys, assumiign there are others, and then find them later?  I do not have any locator spells, but if not some sort of locator beacon, then I know there are spells to find familiar items, and if any of us can do that, a simple pebble would do.  If all buyers get scaned, then it will be hard for us to get enough force to the buying area to take out or follow all the other buyers.  Tracking them for later may be our best bet.

Vir seaths his cleaned swords.  I bet I can get them to follow me as well.  But a backup of a tracking spell would not go amiss.

Unless someone has a better plan, we will split into two groups.  Vir any anyone comfortable with trying to bluff their way into the compound against ilthiads will pose as buyers.  I trust Miss Fortune can facilitate his acceptance and clearance as a buyer.  The second group will enter separately.  We will try to gate into the Warrens.  If that is blocked, then we will gate as close as we can and enter forcefully by river.  We will amke our way to the barracks to try to fight as many there as we can before they gather their strength.  If possible, we will cut off their route to the slaves, so that their final stand isn't complicated by hostages.  Vir will keep us apraised and will stay undercover as long as possible, and try to bring as many hapless buyers along as possible, and will mark the rest for later fights if he can.  Any other thoughts?

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
The Gate doesn't stay open long, probably a minute or so, and only as long as I concentrate on it.  But I can use it as often as I like.  I can open a gate to the warrens now, to see if an alarm goes off, and then close it immediately.  You're right that Vir an I can talk over distances.  His first birthday present.
Though, if he goes alone and acts scared when the troubles break out, the Ilthiad may bring him with them into their stronghold, giving us a telepathic spy on the inside, ready to attack whenever needed.

I am no expert in the matters of aberrations, but I think the odds of a Illithid psionic simply reading his mind and killing him in the middle of the warrens is high.

I concentrate back on the detect evil for three more rounds.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
Vir laughs.  If they try to read my mind, they will find a boring litany of my thinking what a good business partnership this will be and how my master will reward me and all the things I can buy, tinted with thoughts that my boss will not actually reward me, but he might.  Such conflicting thoughts really sell the effect.  After the attacks, they will find variations on the theme "I don't want to die"  They will also find me to be Lawful and Evil, therefore trustworthy by their definition.  A True Con Artist can't be stopped by mere mind reading.  Ragardless, I hope to have them consider me a valuable client and even friend by that point, depending on how strong their minds are.  I know they are smart, but how good are they at sensing motives once their mind reading is fooled?

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
"It's very true. A paladin removing bad influences from a business would be, pretty much, above question. Just try not to swing too hard when you kick my ass out of here." He said, with a smirk. "And while I was looking forward to being on the negotiating team, my natural talents lend themselves to a more infiltrate-styled team."

"I like the prospect of following the other buyers back. Hmmm, actually, Sheerak? If someone tells you where the pens are, exactly... can you gate the people there out? Cause if you can open up multiple gates, we can have a sneak team slip in while the Illithid are trying to figure out what the hells just happened. Then we can coordinate and you can gate everyone out. Then we light the place on fire and gate out." he smirked.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:09:52 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
When Sheerak refers to Sable as her known accomplice, she grins at him, exchanging a glance of amusement and a slight shake of the head.

But then when Vir talks about knocking out the opposition, she shakes her head more vigorously.

{Janis} You say "knock them out" like a foregone conclusion. I think you're underestimating your opponents, something I try never to do. If someone pretty much like you was sent to handle their end of things, how easy would it be to just knock you out?

Remember this is business for them... big business. They're working from a big budget.

And don't forget the price on Star's head, that the Illithid are offering. Who knows what might show up to try to collect it. Oh, ho... that's right, she didn't tell you about that little bit. Hah. Ask her when she gets here.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
Well, If there is nothing to stop me I can gate them out, but I expect that that portion at least is protected....maybe not...I would hate to risk a complicated plan when we could just wisk in and wisk them out, but that would alert them to our plan.  We could try it right before teleporting into the Warrens.  I doubt it will b that easy, but we can try if you think it wise. 

Why bother kicking anyone out?  Those of us Gating in can leave from here and don't need to hide our identities anyway.  Unless someone going with Vir was spotted, there is no need for anything like that.  And even if you were thrown out, that would stil raise susspicion in the buyers....Vir could help lie about it to cover it up, but I doubt it will be nessisary.

Unless anyone wants to go with Vir, I suggest he go alone.

Vir, listenign to Janis, responds Maybe She's right and I need some muscle.  Honestly, if I go alone, I should be able to stay safe, spy, and maybe cause some mischif, but on my own I will not be able to strike hard.  It still might be our best bet, trading my fighitng for, hopfully, real time intel on the enemy as well as keeping an eye on other buyers.  We could try to have me bluff us all in, it might work, as I am very convincing, but if it goes wrong then we are on the far side fromt he slaves. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
{Ror} I don't think sending anyone anywhere by themselves is a good idea in this place.  MAYBE if whoever was going alone had some kind of contingency spell if they get into too much trouble.  Also, if I were attempting to defend the slavery operation, there's NO WAY I would allow people to Gate in/out if I could stop it.  It would be WAY too easy to lose my stock.
(click to show/hide)

I think we should revisit the idea of Phasing through the rock itself.  We come to Bral from "below," make our way into the Warrens, and Phase through the rock.  We could observe from the roofs of the caverns, pop out of the walls for an ambush, pop right back into the walls, move to the next corridor/cavern, and repeat.  When we get to the slaves, we could pull them through the rock back to the warrens, to a stable cavern we found beforehand.  Once there, we could gate everybody out (if that works) or make our way back to whatever ship we came in on.

Thoughts?

Also, don't forget that (with all due respect) Dumathoin may have more information about an ancient Dwarven mine than Sheerak's ancestors.  Perhaps some other questions to Him would be in order?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:54:04 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »
{Ror}  Janis, did you say that you would not be accompanying us on this little party?  I just want to make sure we aren't expecting anything from you onsite if you won't be there to take part.

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
(click to show/hide)

This new information about a price on Doctor Feather's head makes me think this entire group is thinking too little of the enemy. I have heard stories of Dr. Feather, and it requires a lot of guts to put a price on her head.

No offense meant, Captain Vir, but even your abilities are beyond posing a paladin as slave buyer to a group of Illithids, and even if you could, I just can't play that part. Makes me nauseous and... worse. And going in alone, is just too much overconfidence. Yet, a scout mission by you and Lord Sable, with proper means of contacting us and teleporting back in case of trouble, would be most useful at some later point.

The duration of Lady Sheerak's Gates worries. In a minute, we can get what, 60 slaves out, while the rest of the group keeps the Umber Hulks and Illithids? These gates sound like a good backup plan, we should test if it is possible to open such gate as soon as we get to the Warrens, but we can't put all our hopes in there. Let's discuss Master Ror's ideas.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
The archway suddenly appears again, near the front right-hand corner of the room on its shorter wall.

Conversation is underway but grinds to a stop.

In the conference room:

A very pretty woman with a curly tail and spiky, revealing armor sits on a gold-topped crystal stool in front of a large Crystal Ball, with a gold-trimmed crystal mug of ale in her hand. Around the room are a hugely broad and powerful looking short male with an equally huge beard, holding a mug with only suds at the bottom (again), another large female creature with bat wings, a Pixie bristling with swords sitting on her shoulder; an elegant weasel-looking creature standing on two legs; and a somewhat human looking creature with pasty skin, wearing a suit of brilliantly polished gold armor, studying the room with sunken, shadowed eyes. A large map with lettered markings on it hovers above the table.

Entering the conference room:

An Elven woman; she has delicately pointed ears... and she is glowing with golden Light, brighter than a lantern. Her long golden hair is restless, with flecks of light crackling silently from it, in tiny cascades that wink out before touching the floor. She is floating, not walking, drifting just off the ground. She is wearing a blue robe parted at the center, decorated with stars along its edges, with a darker blue leather tunic and short leather pants beneath, a wide belt covered with pouches, and dark blue short boots. The parted robe shows quite a bit of cleavage, a turn of bare calf, and a trim, athletic build; she’s a little over five and a half feet tall. She is wearing quite a bit of bright jewelry: necklaces, armbands, bracelets, rings, earrings. No weapons are visible. She has a simple, breathtaking beauty, with a broad face with high round cheekbones, high forehead, blunt chin, and wide dazzling smile. She has natural coloring, a faint flush against pale skin and lips. Her eyes are very pale, nearly colorless, and strangely unfocussed, with short yellow-golden lashes and eyebrows.

A human male is behind her, standing in the anteroom just beyond the archway.
(click to show/hide)

The pretty woman with the curly tail and spiky armor says, {Janis} Star! It’s a good thing you got here, honey, there are a lot of questions still hanging in the air in this conversation and they’re going to start throwing them all at you in about five seconds.

Star grins at her.{Star} Thanks, Janis, for starting off the planning session, and for putting the posting up on short notice, and… gathering all these creatures together who are pleased to be coming along on a mission such as this.

Thank you all for  your desire to come.

Sable! Too bad we can’t bring the band along, fire up the music, and just melt the slavers to slag!!
She goes over to the weasel to give him a hug, and to collect a big furry one in return. Then she crooks a finger at a gold trimmed crystal pitcher and mug on the serving tray behind her, and after they float to her, she pours herself a mug that soon gives off the steaming aroma of hot spiced mead.

She pulls a long staff from a small pouch on her belt, about five feet long and three inches in diameter. It looks like glass, with a complex kaleidoscope of facets and planes and colors of light throughout its length. She releases it and it drifts to lean against a blue gem-studded armchair to the right of the gold and crystal stool where Janis is sitting, near the head of the table.

She looks pointedly at the staff and at the open archway, then looks around the room. {Star} Always prepare for what might come through that door. I don’t mean Halt… Are you coming in, Halt? I mean… the surprises that Sigil can send.

I’m Star Feather, proprietor of Inn Champagne across the street. I know Janis, and Sable. And you must be the Paladin of Wee Jas that June mentioned, who needs more Light. And you… are a Hand of Dumathoin, and… the one pouring the Dumath Kharrassch. I offer you welcome, Hand to Hand.

She offers her hand for a strongly gripped Handshake, and then drains her glass of mead, pours a refill into his mug for him first and then for herself, of Dumath Kharrassch for both of them, and raises her glass to toast Dumathoin with him, and then to toast Dumath Kharrassch with him after another round of refills.

{Star} Oh! Dumath Kharrassch is as heady as ever. Excellent.

And you…
Her eyes widen. I don’t know your Tiefling lady friend, but I know you, Pixie, from the sailor’s song! You’re………
Captain Vir, the Merciful…
Captain of the Resolute…
And King of the Unclaimed Sea!!

She sings his name, just like the verse of song, and then laughs, like the tinkling of musical bells.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2012, 02:34:14 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:02 AM »
In an aside to Ror, Janis answers his question: {Janis} Yeah, that's right. I'm abandoning you to your fate. No, seriously, my value is in Sigil right now, hobnobbing with the Evil creatures here to keep track of them from the inside. I'm Misfortune the Tiefling, remember?

She fades her skin to black again, and her hair darkens. The tracery of fine lines like runes becomes visible once again, and she grins wickedly, flicking her forked tongue, with dancing flames of merriment in her eyes.

{Janis} Besides, I can supply four things: Muscle. You have plenty of that in the party without me. Alchemy. I can give it to you to take with you; you don't need me there to be a walking drugstore. Business sense. I'll hang around the planning table making pithy observations. Planning smarts. Ditto.

So I stay here while you go there. If something wild happens here that could affect what happens there, or someone here spills a secret you should know right away, then you will know it right away. I can't do that job for you from inside Bral. Remember what Sheerak's ancestors told her about them watching us?

Everyone in Sigil watches everyone, and then sells to anyone buying. Misfortune the Tiefling is the one watching all of them, and buying secrets... for our side.

She turns to the Paladin.

{Janis} Do I make more sense to you now, Paladin?

June is a homebody, Star has her head in the clouds on some other Plane, or six other Planes, Winston is worrying about the whole Multiverse falling apart, and Glom is... wherever Glom is. He's everywhere.

So someone has to watch Sigil, who's got some street smarts.

I don't just stay here, though, sometimes I go other places to do similar things. My special missions out of town are things like, you know, go seduce a Pit Fiend leading an army to attack us on some other world, to find out his battle plans, backers, things like that. Go run a kingdom while the lord of the realm is chasing around with Star, and whip it into financial shape and train his army so he still has a kingdom when he gets back...

Except I train the women too, to do some of the things I do, so things are never the same after I get my hands on the keys. If you count them up, which I do, I've got my own private, loyal, trained army of millions scattered across the armies of the Multiverse and being fed by somebody else but they still would come... if I called in my favors.

Star's got her Armada, and I've got my shock troops.

It's very varied and a lot of fun, a different crisis every day. Today, you're my crisis.

Paladin, thanks for the worry, though. It's sweet of you. Since I'm immune to both Negative Energy and Positive Energy, and you must be cooking with both, maybe we could go out sometime. I can be proper, for someone with your tastes. A girl has to own business suits, too.
Janis shifts back to tan skin and honey blond hair, and takes another pull on her ale. She arches an eyebrow at the Paladin.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:33:57 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2012, 03:58:33 AM »
(click to show/hide)