Author Topic: Action thread: With Janis  (Read 99579 times)

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
Re: Action thread: With Janis
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
As Star enters, the Paladin's eyes open wide and he loses focus for a second, but continues the scan. After she speaks to someone behind her, he tries to take a sneak peek at the person behind Star.

He straightens up and, with a small bow, says: "Well-met, Doctor Feather. I am Ήρωας του Θανάτου, Paladin of Wee Jas. My colleagues in this mission call me Tanatou, and a provide a little extra muscle to the group."

To Janis, with a friendly face: "I understand, Miss Fortune. It is not my intent to reprimand you in any way. "

(click to show/hide)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:05 AM »
Vir smiles,  brightens (seriously, he starts to glow for many feet in any direction, though not painfull to look at), and flits over to Star.  Finaly someone who remembers me.  The rest of the people I've met are just not as interested in the real heros of the past.  You look far too young to have been around in my glory days, so I have to assume you are an admirer of song and story.  He pulls a mandolin out of thin air and strungs a couple of chords, nothing flashy chord
(click to show/hide)
Perhaps we can teach each other new songs at some point.
(click to show/hide)

Sheerak, introduces herself, Greeting, Lady Feather, I am Sheerak of the househols of the late Lord Su.  While looking for his killers, I came across Miss Fortune and happily have joined this expedition.  It is an honor to meet you.

She walks over to have a private conversation with Janis.  My ancestors have excelent things to say about you.  Let me know if I can ever be of service.  Here is the money for the business, I trust you in this and we need not bring Vir or written agreements into it.  Also, perhaps my gates can be of assistance in the business, though we can discuss that late.  She hands over the 2500 gp with a smile.

Looking back to the rest fo the group, she continuesI agree that burrowing in will be best, as it is much less likely to be blocked or alarmed.  We can keep our ability to gate a secret and I will try it only as a last resort for escape.  I believe you are right that Vir might not be able to bluff a paladin in, but I have faith he can handle himself.  The only people who could go with him are those who, after mind reading, won't raise too great of suspicions.  Sable, you could maybe do it, but your are a known accomplice to Janis, and I think we need you for disarming traps.  Oh!  I think I've been assuming that disarming traps is something you can do, but I don't recall if you ever said that.  Am I wrong? 

To the new entrant, Sheerak turns.  Greetings.  If you are accepted by Janis, then you are a friend here.  We have been planning and would appreciate your input.  Please tell us more about yourself.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
I agree that burrowing in will be best, as it is much less likely to be blocked or alarmed.  We can keep our ability to gate a secret and I will try it only as a last resort for escape.  I believe you are right that Vir might not be able to bluff a paladin in, but I have faith he can handle himself.  The only people who could go with him are those who, after mind reading, won't raise too great of suspicions.  Sable, you could maybe do it, but your are a known accomplice to Janis, and I think we need you for disarming traps.  Oh!  I think I've been assuming that disarming traps is something you can do, but I don't recall if you ever said that.  Am I wrong? 

He smiled wide, showing what could be described as a "Very toothy cheerful grin", "Miss Sheerak, I can do anything necessary to get the job done. I'm light on my feet, quick with a blade, dashing, clever, handsome, passionate... and humble beyond reproach." he smirked. "I can open any door, chest, or chastity belt, disable any hazard, pitfall or trap... even conversational traps. I can backflip up a wall, dance along the ceiling, carve a man in half, read a dozen languages, see the evil that lurks in the hearts of men, steal it from their very soul with the deftest of hands, and sell it to a local fence, all while walking on smoke. A hundred mages could scry for a hundred days, and they wouldn't find me standing in the same *room* as them. I can hold my breath for days, swim in arctic waters, then jog for a week through the desert. Walk towards a mirror and try to catch your reflection unawares, you'll have more luck then trying to sneak up on me." he elaborated.

A lot.

After seeing that no one was buying it, mostly cause he wasn't trying to sell it that hard, he cleared his throat. "*ahem* umm... yes. Top tier disabler. Of traps, and men. Top tier second story breaker enterer, master thief, cypher cracker, cutpurse, lockbreaker, and sneak, and third in my class in swimming." He said each with the sound of pride. A sneak and a thief, but proud of his profession, "Though, the clever, handsome, and passionate parts were all true too. It's all true, really." he smirked again.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Sheerak nods, Good, Group A will consist of the dwarf (who is needed for the tunneling), the Paladin (who cannot pass off as a slave purchaser), myself (to allow easy communication with Group B), and Sable (who is needed for trap detection and can't be seen with Group A because of his known association with Miss Fortune.).  Group B consists at the moment of only Vir.  Group A will tunnel into....well, when you commune, see if tunneling into the slave pits themselves is possible.  If not, then we will hit the barracks by surprise and move to the pens from there.  Vir will err on the side of inaction, acting as a spy. Yuor value as a spy is compromised or destroyed the moment you act against them, so make sure to keep your help verbal only, and try not to make waves unless youa re close to us.  I would hate to see you get cut off from the rest of us.  Shee gives Vir a stern look.

If he has not already been, Sheerak updates the enw comer on all the possible plans discussed and the current plan being worked out.  Knowing what we do about the suspicion and inspection given to all buyers, do you think you can handle being in Vir's group?  Err on the side of causion in the answer, as a blown cover there may mean death for Group B.

Vir pips up.  Not that I like pain, but lets not forget, I cannot rightly be killed.  If I die, I get locked in the pendant for a week, and it hurts like a Terrasque, but somethimes the fun is worth it!.  Also, I can't be held hostage for long, as sunset/sunrise pulls me back to the necklace as well.  I know this works even on planes with weird suns or days...never tried it on a plane with weird time flows,a nd don't feel inclined to, but should work fine on this island.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
Star nods back to the Paladin, keeping her distance.

(click to show/hide)

{Star} Paladin of Wee Jas Ήρωας του Θανάτου... Tanatou. I truly appreciate the ArchPriest sending you here. If it pleases you to tell her so, you may give her my thanks. She's been a good friend for a long time to me personally, and from her position she uses her influence, and quite a bit of her personal fortune, to support the arts in Sigil... ah, I can see by your Aura that you didn't know that about her. Yes, she believes the arts to be a form of Order, an aesthetic Order. Music, painting, sculpture, all create form, so I understand her interpretation. I... just like them; I sculpt because it's beautiful. The Assistant Archives Master keeps adding to a sizeable art gallery in Prime's collection, of all types of art.

(click to show/hide)

{Star} Perhaps Captain Vir would like to play something for the ArchPriest, when there is an opportunity. Star begins snapping her fingers along with Vir’s strumming, smiling at him, and the showers of sparks from her hair pick up a bit.

At the discussion about Vir being the one to go undercover as a buyer, she says, {Star} Captain Vir, but might they not recognize you? You’re so well known… someone there might recognize you, and connect you to the heroic song about your attacks on the slavers over and over. It’s sure to be one that stuck with them, if they heard it! Most who visit Bral are sailors; it’s a port city, that’s why they are there. Even among the Illithid, and certainly among their customers; nearly all have arrived by Spelljammer ship. They sail there for commerce. And if you count on Magic or disguise to hide you, Truesight is common enough, even if not commonplace. I certainly wouldn’t walk the streets of Bral without it… or Sigil, for that matter; that would be incautious.

I don’t know the full extent of your plan to infiltrate them, but… your fame is a factor to take into account. The Illithid have little interest in other cultures’ art, except for its commercial value, and no interest in music because they consider it merely ephemeral, but they may not be the only creatures you meet.

Star turns to Janis sitting next to her, and leans over to say softly, but not secretly, it’s just a personal aside, {Star} I’ve met the Pixie Captain Vir himself! I can hardly wait to tell Corlin. She chuckles in anticipation.

Then Star turns toward the archway. {Star} Halt has a spell that might help with infiltration, at least into certain types of places. From what little I saw of it, It seemed to work well enough on the streets of Sigil; perhaps he has some insight as to whether it will misdirect the attention of an Illithid or other strongly Psionic creature. I would guess it offers some advantage against Truesight; from what he said about misdirection, it wouldn’t need to negate the Truesight. She smiles toward the figure in the archway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:45:10 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Vir brightens at the compliment and at the warm reception he has received.  Ahh, well, I expect that few imagine me to be more thana legend by this point.  Most of the people who have heard of me thought I was dead long ago

(click to show/hide)

Have you ever heard the story about how I infiltrated a goblin camp?  I disguised myself as a goblin for 2 weeks before signaling my men to attack.  Now, these people are surely more astute than goblins, but if I only have to pass for a few hours, it should suffice.  I could be some random pixie, remember that I will appear to be Lawfull and Evil and evena  little cowardly to their probes, or I could even disguise myself through non-magical means to look like an Imp.  I'm sure that would throw them off, though I would need a makeup kit and such from your Ladyship.  He winks at Star there.

(click to show/hide)

So, these goblins had been roving around and killing sheep and a few of the weaker villagers in a large county.  My men were asked by the government to check it out.  Normall we wouldn't doa nythign for them, but they asked so nicely and offered to give a blanket pardon to any one member of my crew, excepting myself, if we did it.  Old Bobby Long Pants wanted to go back to the fields and.....Vir continues on for anyone who cares to keep listening, caught up in the story and forgetting the serious planning fo minutes ago.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:05:24 PM by ieatfood7 »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:33:48 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Ror warmly returns Star's strong handshake and drinks with her to each toast.  He does not seem to be at all affected by the number of mugs he has had.

I had heard the surprising rumors about a new Elven Hand of Dumathoin, and I am happy to finally be able to confirm the rumors.  It is a pleasure to meet you Star Feather.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:40:34 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:42 PM »
Janis listens to the beginning of Vir's tale, then starts paying attention to the other conversations swirling around her. When he finishes talking about Goblins, she turns back to him.

{Janis} Illithids aren't Goblins. They probably don't even eat Goblins, not enough brains inside a Goblin to interest them.

So I hear that  you're great with Bluffing your way into situations and back out of them... but the Illithids are Telepathic, and highly organized and methodical, so they're constantly talking back and forth to each other and to higher-ups you don't see. Will your Bluffing work on the senior Illithid behind the front Illithids you're talking to? Or just to the ones in front of you? And any Suggestion you give them... they probably have to relay it back and clear it with a higher-up too, before they act on it. So... can you make it work? I don't discourage heroics, understand, it sounds great, if it will work.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
{Star} And everyone should assume that the Illithids will be using True Sight, Detect Lie, or their equivalents. They do not trust their buyers in the slightest; they just do business with them.

If you can defeat these Effects, so much the better, but they will know that for example their Detect Lie is not returning information to them. So they will not assume what they hear or see is true, or false; they will have to evaluate it with the knowledge that the creature speaking to them is sufficiently powerful to defeat their Divination... which many creatures are, on Bral, and even more in Sigil.

Just as we do, the Illithids too use what they can, but everyone also recognize that many creatures they deal with are too powerful for those Magics to work on them. It makes screening a complex issue for them. No buyer who can defeat Divinations will allow unrestricted access to his intentions to the other side in a negotiation.

For myself, that's why I don't rely on Magic alone to read Auras.

Offline lgallindo

• Lurker
  • I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
{Star} Paladin of Wee Jas Ήρωας του Θανάτου... Tanatou. I truly appreciate the ArchPriest sending you here.

It is an honor to meet a Doctor in Magic. I have dabbled in at least two very different types of arcane magic a long, time ago, on another land, another time and another name.

If it pleases you to tell her so, you may give her my thanks. She's been a good friend for a long time to me personally, and from her position she uses her influence, and quite a bit of her personal fortune, to support the arts in Sigil... ah, I can see by your Aura that you didn't know that about her. Yes, she believes the arts to be a form of Order, an aesthetic Order. Music, painting, sculpture, all create form, so I understand her interpretation. I... just like them; I sculpt because it's beautiful. The Assistant Archives Master keeps adding to a sizeable art gallery in Prime's collection, of all types of art.

From the little I know about arts, I think they are techniques to create patterns, patterns that provoke emotions. Aren't patterns a form of Order?

The Paladin is clearly astonished by Star. He hears Vir's song because she said the ArchPriest might like his music, but Vir's tale is just background noise to him.

For myself, that's why I don't rely on Magic alone to read Auras.

To Star, looking into her eyes: Speaking of auras, Doctor Feather, yours are most interesting and show some powerful allegiances. The hug mark on your shoulders... Is from the touch of Corellon Larethian, father of all elves?

He remembers what Ordo said, that Star has a way of making people lose focus. Star said the stranger named Halt has means to weaken the intelligence of the Illithids.
Raising his voice, to the one in the archway: Hail, Lord Halt. Are you joining us?

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
Happy to be discussing art, Star nods encouragingly. Then the conversation suddenly turns to Corellon Larethian, and delighted surprise blossoms on her face.

{Star} Yes, Tanatou. I had passed through His Realm many times, but He had not Graced me with His Presence. I was traveling with Alessandriel, the Queen Keeper of Correlon’s Realm, and a First Elf. She and I had just recently commiserated with each other about a colossal tragedy from long ago, with trillions dead and dozens Prime Planes destroyed… I was caught up in it, first to prevent its spread, and then to see to it that all of the dead suddenly newly present on the Astral Plane were defended on their way, and routed to their proper Outer Planes, which were quite overwhelmed by the flood of souls, as you might imagine. She was caught up in it to receive the many, many Elven spirits that descended onto Arvandor all at once. And far too many were lost to Lower Plane thieves of souls who took advantage to prey on the multitudes. We were very saddened, for lives, souls, and worlds lost, and had felt so inadequate… We didn’t meet then, though, far too busy in our own tasks. When we passed through Correlon’s grove together, He came to us… told us that we were good daughters and had done our work well, and Hugged us both together. After talking with Alessandriel, and especially after His Blessing, my heart was lifted of a great burden.

But about art, and Order… The ArchPriest and I have debated this question more than once. She, of course sees it as you do, a construction of Order from disparate elements, changing Chaos to Order. I see it as an introduction of pleasant surprise into the Order already present in the elements, changing Order to Chaos.

Consider this: The LightSculpture in her office that I gave her… you’ve seen it? …appears to be a helical eightfold pattern of cycling octagons in eight shades of red, which is nearly true… but… the patterns do not repeat! If they did repeat, they would eventually become less interesting; as it is, there is always something new to see in it. The LightSculpture is keyed to respond to the Auras of those around it to change the cycling ever so slightly, tipping the octagons this way and that… and to the stray light in the room, to vibrations and sounds from the street, in short it responds to its environment, as its environment responds to it, the two making a system that is everchanging, alive, in an artistic sense, rather than static, dead in an artistic sense. That is why it is so hypnotic; just as you are sure you understand it, it changes and shows you something new to draw your attention in further. Something like the artist herself.
Star’s sudden smile shows him she is enjoying his astonishment.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 11:41:25 PM »
When the Paladin pulls himself back to the room and the situation at hand, calling to Halt at the door, Star pulls herself back too.

{Star} Janis… and all. I have some further information about the situation on Bral, and a development elsewhere that may be related… I am concerned that it may be so… that may affect our plans.

First, Bral. The Illithids have temporarily suspended the slave trading operation. They are not bringing buyers through until further notice. I just spoke to the Trading Company offices on Bral before I came here, and this is the news they have. The Illithid Embassy has quietly notified their usual buyers to save them the inconvenience of arriving for an auction that does not happen. This is causing some dislocations in shipping into Bral, as you can imagine, since some ships already arrived and unloaded cargo in anticipation of filling with slaves and shipping them out, while other ships are caught on the way. The port itself is stacked up with extra traffic standing by for instructions, or simply waiting. The Prince is not pleased with them. They have given no reason, officially or unofficially. So we could not infiltrate at this moment as buyers anyway, and in a sense our mission is complete; they are shut down.

Perhaps they believe we are coming after them and they are simply waiting till we strike, to respond more easily. All we need do is wait; either they will continue to stay shut down, which is our objective, or they will start up again, which is our opportunity.

Second, Acheron. The connection: A highly placed Illithid General… not exactly an Illithid, he is an Alhoun, an Illithidae Undead much like a Lich… led a delegation around Acheron just recently. They were seen going in, and coming out, on the Styx. Where they went, and why, has not been sold where I could buy it, or perhaps their security succeeded. I have two excellent sources, one impeccable source directly about Styx traffic, and one highly connected source to all the Lower Planes, who lives right here in Sigil, where he feels he has the most leverage of influence. Janis, you know Marle’Crucius, Marley the Jackal, an Arcanaloth… we have traded information for a very long time, and he has not heard a whisper of where the Illithid went or what they did. I don’t trust him of course, that concept does not apply to an Arcanaloth, but I believe him in this.

I know this General by reputation, and he is counted as fearsome by the Illithids. He has rank enough to order the shutdown. He was seen visiting the Embassy. By my Timestream calculations, this took place after he was seen in Acheron.

The Illithid do not have much interest in the battlefields that are the ruin covering most of Acheron, or the Blood War generally. But… this may represent a new factor in the game.

Third… all things in threes… the reports of Elves taken as slaves. The incoming shipments have been heavy with Elves, and I have reports from the Armada that in several places across the Alliance of Elven Worlds, the Illithids have taken large numbers of Elves into their slaver operation. Each world was not active in Spelljamming, they were only patrol stops. This may be a pattern that ensured the news would come back, but slowly. And… some crew from Wings of Chartreuse are unaccounted for; they are on leave so they could be anywhere, but I just spoke to Captain Leeming… he and his Helmsmages are overseeing the emergency drydock repairs… and he is concerned they haven’t checked in, a procedure most follow for their own safety. He is investigating right now, to trace them, and said he would like to let me know as soon as he has meaningful news. They were in Bral, so… if they were taken, they could be in the slave pens right now.

That is the information I have as of now.

Star seems very subdued, clearly worried about all of the Elves taken, and what it could mean.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »
Janis goes over to the archway to invite Halt inside so that the archway can close, and so that she can recap for him everything that has been said, and explain the map and its codes.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2012, 04:47:01 AM »
The archway suddenly appears once again, near the front right-hand corner of the room on its shorter wall.

Conversation is underway but grinds to a stop... again.

In the conference room:

A very pretty Tiefling woman with a curly tail and spiky, revealing armor is in the corner of the room nearest the archway talking quietly to a human in a cloak, pointing at the tabletop of the conference room table; a large map with lettered markings on it hovers above the table. She has one hand on a gold-topped crystal stool, that she is holding next to her as if she is about to sit on it. She has a gold-trimmed crystal mug of ale in her hand. She looks at the archway immediately as it opens.

Around the room are a hugely broad and powerful looking short Dwarven male with an equally huge beard, holding a mug with only ale suds at the bottom (yes, again), another large Tiefling female creature with black, feathery wings, a Pixie bristling with swords sitting on her shoulder, looking like he just stepped out of a sailor’s song; an elegant weasel-looking creature standing on two legs; and a somewhat human looking creature with pasty skin, wearing a suit of brilliantly polished gold armor, studying the room with sunken, shadowed eyes.

A glowing Elven woman is sitting in a blue armchair near the head of the table on the righthand side. A glittering glass staff, that looks kaleidoscopic with planes and colors of light packed throughout its interior, is resting against the side of the armchair. She is sitting as if she was talking with the creature in gold armor, but is turned to face the group at large.

Entering the conference room are three people:

A Harssaf, just under 5 ½ feet tall, and bulky, with red skin, dark eyes, armor and weapons. He doesn’t have any weapons drawn at the moment, though his stance is clearly the perpetual readiness of a trained warrior. He walks into the room with a sailor’s rolling gait. He seems quite happy. At this close range, all in the conference room can feel heat radiating from him, and spots on his skin and armor have traces of heat shimmer around them.

Not much different in height but quite different in appearance, the second person has radiant skin, long, silky silver-white hair, steel gray eyes, long nose, and red lips, in an oddly blank, expressionless face. He is wearing a long, well tailored trench coat in pure white. The coat looks new and perfectly clean, along with the rest of him; he is spotless. Underneath his coat, he is wearing a white shirt with a black vest on top, black pants and black boots. He has a bulge on his back under the coat, in the shape and size of a pack or haversack.

The third person coming through the archway: A glowing Elven woman who looks just like the one sitting in the blue armchair.

As she floats across the conference room along the righthand side of the table, from the archway toward the blue armchair, she says,

{Star} If it pleases you, I’d like you all to meet Halfaz, who has sailed here all the way from the City of Brass on a heroic voyage that should be a song in itself… four different kinds of sailing, was it, Halfaz, on the way here?... because he has dedicated his life to the purpose of destroying slavers and freeing slaves… and brings a startling ship!! It was quite startling by the time he sailed it into the Plane of Radiance at the Tower of Blue Flame where he met me, just before the Falls into the Positive Energy Plane… and the ship is becoming even more startling as we speak. Janis, it is going to run on a Fire-based Spelljammer Helm… amazing! How deadly!!!

Ror, you may be interested to know Halfaz’s ship is composed entirely of fused Protometals and Ioun Crystals!! Quite a bit of Protoemerald in it.

Sable, you may be interested to know that Halfaz and I were briefly in Acheron while on our way here. You already heard the news we brought back about the Illithid’s General, but… I didn’t yet mention that I spotted posters for the band tour still pasted to the rocky wall that leads from the Styx up to the Color Pool back to the Astral Plane and the Voidjammer stop there. So many creatures pass by there… that was one of our best advertising spots along the Styx to draw in an audience to where we performed.

And our other guest is Ptolemaeus, who I first saw in Milliways, though we didn’t meet then. Milliways, that’s more than enough of a start for his tale!! He also would like to join our expedition.

She continues to chuckle about Milliways as she floats toward sitting down in the blue armchair.

As Star settles into herself in the armchair, the two instances merge perfectly, and so there is just one.

The pretty Tiefling about to sit on the gold and crystal stool says to them, {Janis] Hi, I’m Janis… Janis Fortune. You can just call me Janis. I was just giving a recap and briefing on the map, so I’ll include you too, and bring you up to date with all of the information and plans that we have, while you help yourself to some of that Hobbit pie, it’s ecstasy baked in a crust. Janis also brings Halfaz and Ptolemaeus completely up to date.

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Halt takes a free stool as the archway behind him closes, only to open again almost immediately. After Janis brings the newcomers up to speed, he speaks up.

"For one, the spell Star mentioned can be pierced by True Seeing. It could give us an advantage if they don't constantly have it active by making them think we're not worth the effort. On the other hand, I have a spell with a similar effect. More powerful, and TrueSight won't see through it. Well, I say 'similar', but mean 'uses similar principles to do the exact opposite'. It makes the target think the world around them is nothing but an illusion. They just sit there and watch the world go by. So absolute is this conviction, the victim won't even defend itself in battle."

The man takes a drink from his mug before continuing. "And I have to say; you're thinking entirely too small with these Gates. Assuming of course we can actually use them; remember we can put them anywhere, in any direction. A friend of mine once took out a small hoard of undead by opening a Gate to a Positive Energy Plane right under them. And what's stopping us from Gating to a Good-aligned Plane, talking to a few celestials, then opening another Gate there to let in an army?"
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)

{Ror} Another possibility along the same lines is for us to use Metromagic's portals/gates to go from this warehouse to the warehouse on Bral without detection, then Phase through the rock out the bottom of the Metromagic warehouse.  If we never leave Metromagic property, we should be able to avoid the Illithid spies on Bral.

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
"Greetings. A fine group we have here. Oh, and if it isn't Captain Vir, the Merciful, Captain of the Resolute and King of the Unclaimed Sea. It shall be a pleasure to work with you." He settles down near the tiefling who calls herself Janis Fortune. Miss Fortune. Pretty name, he thinks to himself. "Don't mind if I do," he says as he gets one slice of pie the tiefling offered.

He takes a bite as Janis begins her recap of the information on the mission as well as the plans the others have already put forward. From time to time Ptolemaeus would get distracted with the explosion of flavors in his mouth as he chews on the pie. Exquisite, heavenly as Janis had called it. He nods with each point to at least hide his distraction, and when Janis is done, he had consumed five slices, even though he had said each one would be his last.

Focusing back on the discussion, he has three points that sticks out for him. One, the very glaring lack of information on the defenses of the slave traders. And on top of that, most of the plans on hand seem to be just adjusting with this, going in without even trying to collect more information. For him, he does not like going in blind. Getting information would be very much risky, yes, and they could alert the defenses. But that is an altogether lighter risk rather than basing plans off assumptions. Two, and the most important point, is the business of the Illithid General in going to Acheron, which in turn seems to be reason for number three, the temporary suspension of the slaver trade operations.

He has been to Bral once or twice, and he has heard of the Illithid slave operations there, but as they do not concern his personal problems and the Guardians have not sent him personally on any missions against them, he does not have an intimate knowledge about its inner workings, and his secondhand knowledge clearly is not as extensive as what MetroMagic has. But with the recent developments, he thinks it is better to focus on the current situation, the suspension of the slave trade, and keep it so, which would then be the effect that this whole operation is striving for. Ways to keep it so, or even develop the situation into stopping the slave trade completely, without them even having to move in and do the dirty work. But this does not eliminate the problem of getting all those slaves that are already in their possession.

The big joker in all this is this particular general making a fancy move and going into Acheron. The fact that this visit is well known, but the actual purpose of the visit shrouded in mystery makes it so much a valuable weapon. It could be a bluff, an elaborate setup, or there could have been an actual transaction with any of the multitude of armies there. A direct confrontation with the supposed armada that Star supposedly brought in? Could be a possibility. Well played. But how much do they know about this group? Maybe it should be best to assume they should know about this as well. As he snaps back out of his thoughts, he notices he just finished another Hobbit pie. Crud. How could this pie be so good?!

He removes crumbs from his fingers and his mouth and pays attention to the others putting forth their ideas, taking them in and analyzing their merits as well as their faults, if any.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:44:07 AM by GuyFawkes »