Author Topic: Action thread: Group 10  (Read 30109 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Action thread: Group 10
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
Action thread: Group 10

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:48:53 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
Re: Action thread: Group 10
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
(Sable checking in, and posting comment so I get updates on... updates :) )
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
Vir10 and Sheerak10 look around from where they are, staying invisible. Sheerak O does the same.

Roll twice for Time bonus

Vir10
Spot
Rolled 1d20+22 : 6 + 22, total 28

Rolled 1d20+22 : 20 + 22, total 42

listen
Rolled 1d20+12 : 5 + 12, total 17

Rolled 1d20+12 : 8 + 12, total 20

Search
[roll]1d20+33[roll]
Rolled 1d20+33 : 19 + 33, total 52

Sheerak10
spot
Rolled 1d20+22 : 2 + 22, total 24

Rolled 1d20+22 : 1 + 22, total 23

listen
Rolled 1d20+27 : 2 + 27, total 29

Rolled 1d20+27 : 17 + 27, total 44

Sheerak O
spot
Rolled 1d20+25 : 11 + 25, total 36

Rolled 1d20+25 : 10 + 25, total 35

Listen
Rolled 1d20+30 : 8 + 30, total 38

Rolled 1d20+30 : 14 + 30, total 44

Vir O is in the bag, since he can't hide his shine.

The 25 origonal Parots are out of the bag by nessesity (keep the copies active), are Tiny size, and are on the ground, grouped aroung Ror, giving him a temporary +150 dodge bonus to AC.

Vir has organized the Parrot Copies into 16 Flights with one parot in each Flight being a stronger, first copy, with the rituals for that Flight.  Each Flight has 37 parots, no more than 2 in each Flight from any one origonal, so that the feedback from an entire flight dieing would still not knock out the origonal (who sits pretty in the healing circle with Ror and Star). 

The 8 extra copies that don't divide evenly into flights will tag along with Vir.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:48:23 AM by ieatfood7 »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »
Group 10

(click to show/hide)

The whole group Earthglides toward the ceiling into the location marked with a 10 on the map.

Suddenly Star says on the Link, just in Time, {Star} Forbiddance! That’s what blocked our Gates at 3, 4, and 5! Groups 7-8-9-10, we’re flying into it!

There is a lot of pain on the Link, which hits just after Star’s warning comes on the Link about two seconds before the dismay on the Link from groups 3, 4, and 5, followed by group 7, and then the grim determination that groups 8 and 9 put on the Link to tough it out and execute their reconnaissance and demolitions missions though they had Time to save their parrots in their Bags just before going in.

The PlanTM has been for the groups 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 to enter in very quick succession, since their primary mission is to provide a distraction from group 10 whose mission is to get to the slave pens and rescue the slaves, if they are there... and they had already lost ‘surprise’ time compared to groups 1, 2, and 6 because they came via Earthglide instead of via Gate. Since groups 1, 2, and 6 didn’t run into anything worse than Alarm, groups 3, 4, and 5 bolted into their locations as soon as they could, and spilled out of the ceiling right through Glyphs and into a Forbiddance. Now the earlier three Earthgliding groups are putting a flow of information on the Link which matches well what Magic the later three groups, 7, 8, and 9, are reporting, not at all like groups 1, 2, and 6.

Group 10 comes to a stop in the ceiling just above the location marked with a 10 on the map, forming into battle ready positions so that they can exit the rock into the air, flying as planned.

RorO, Sable and Star pause inside the rock ceiling; Star calls their attention to the Magic inscribed on the surface of the rock. The three of them have the vision to see reasonably clearly through the rock for a short distance. {Star} There are the Glyphs the other groups found. Don’t try to Read them; the Glyph of Warding… that one… is loaded with Explosive Runes. The Rors say they didn’t sense a password, with Find The Path, so there is little reason to Read them. With the ScryBubblegum giving us all Nondetection, likely no one will trigger any Glyph.

It’s a well designed trap. The lack of a password, the consistent Alignment key, the Explosive Runes, and the extent of the Glyphs… they must run through much of the compound… someone put a lot of care into this.

But I don’t see the Forbiddance; in fact I don’t see much of anything except thick fog, beyond the Magic on the face of the rock… at least I suppose the rock ends there. Likely it is Magical fog; I can see through mundane fog.

Sable also sees only fog beyond where the rocky outer face of the ceiling ends, inscribed with the Glyphs. Standing next to Star, within her Circle radius, he even finds he has a Spellcraft understanding of the mechanics of the Magic.

Ror10 sees nothing but the fog beyond the ceiling rock, as do Sable and Star, but RorO does not see fog at all. Regardless, with the information flowing on the Link, PtolemaeusO&10, Halt O&10, and RorO&10 recognize the fog of Guards and Wards, via Spellcraft.

With his view clear and unfogged, RorO can confirm on the Link that indeed the ceiling does end and the open space of the target corridor begins, and he also sees Alarm waiting to trigger, as well as Forbiddance waiting to bite into them as soon as they emerge. In fact, RorO sees Forbiddance active throughout all areas within the 60ft that his Detect Magic provides, and the two different Glyphs are painted onto every surface: floor, walls, ceiling.

RorO sees that Star has kept them on course, and the location looks about as expected from the map. It is a short corridor. The floor is blocks of polished stone. The walls have carved designs. The ceiling is carved as well, about thirty feet high.

To the south, RorO can see that the corridor comes to an irregular intersection and continues, curving west out of sight; the rock becomes too dense and hazy to see through more of it. To the north, .the corridor opens out into the open bar slave pens. The few he can see are empty and stand open. There, the ceiling is carved as well, very ornately, about fifty feet high.

Ror10’s demolitions target is a few feet along the corridor to the south according to the combat map; he is almost exactly above the point to place the explosive charge to bring down the ceiling and close off the corridor.

VirO&10 have decisions to make about the parrots, whether to risk any or all, or keep them safe in Bags which will not open in the Forbiddance... though they can return into the rock with Earthglide and release the parrots later if they have the opportunity.

All the rest of the groups are in, and Time is passing. Though groups 1, 2, and 6 had a bit of a lead, and group 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9 went in moments before, all now report in and are in sync, on the Link. Group 10 has gotten a view of its own situation, some information viewed directly, some on the Link, as well as the situations of all of the other groups, and must decide how all should proceed, and quickly!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:37:07 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »
d20 roll for RorO to see if he knows why he doesn't see the fog:
(click to show/hide)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
Vir strings some curses together strong enough to make his parot's feathers wilt slightly. 

........son of a bilge-dweller!  That'll keep the parots grounded int he bags.  The copies would die even if they are lucky (half damage would kill them) and the origonals probably would too.  even if the oringoals survived, if the forbidance zone is so large, it must be separate castings, and they would retake damage whenever they moved into a different casting of forbidance. 

Ror, if the origonals go in the bag to stay safe, the copies AND THE RITUALS will go away too, right?  Is there any way to make us not lose them?

Anyone have a way to fix this, getting the bird to not die (like by changing their allignment to LE, or increasing their hpa lot, or something)? 

Sheerak says,

I can try to dispell the effect, but that would only clear a 10x10 space at a time...It could give the parots a place to stand at least, and if Ror doesn't go far without me clearing a path for the birds....makes the birds not very effective though, sicne they can't leave the safe area I clear.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
HalfazO and Halfaz10 stand ready. There is not much they can do about all that magic and they don't want to risk the operation.
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
"Wait... if we break the glyph without reading it, won't that ruin the glyph without triggering it? I know you can do that with circles of magic, so will it work for a glyph?" Sable ponders, then checks his map, "Anyway, the slave pens should be around there somewhere.. *Sable gestures towards the 'BB' region*... so maybe Vir and I should scout the area while everyone else deals with this. If we stay in the walls we should be clear from the Glyphs. As for the Forbiddance, it's easily dealt with if you can mask your inner moral compass." Sable says with a wink, "I'm certain among all you arch-mages and deities there's someone who can manage that. Make something like that undetectable." he says with that razor wit, with particular emphasis.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
Vir O says into his private Vir link, All Virs, switch to Dwarf stance for the time being, the increased spell protection (saves and mettle feature) will protect us from the forbidance for the time being.

He looks at sable.  I need to stay close to Ror, you kno Ror, your good buddy, Now if no time to play, but knowing that Sable can't think of Ror as a friend is just too temping for fun to let pass wihtout at ;leats a small commment...whats the worse that could happen, extra Sables....  so that my copies don't go pop, but I have just the guy for you, Vir10 is my right hand man and has been with me in many battles, I trust him with my life.  He shall serve you well He adds with a smile.

His smaile falters.  Seriously though, can you figure a way to save the parrots?  They arn't quite bright enough to mask their allignment themselves.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
Sable smirks, "Who, Ror? Pshaw, he's a nobody." Sable jokes along with Vir. "We can't go in the tunnel, why not under it? We're going to need to get under the slave pens anyway, why not just use their obvious invitation to stay in the walls and continue onwards towards the pen? They can't have these forbidding areas everywhere, otherwise all the slaves would be dead, unless they're all evil slaves, which wouldn't make sense." Sable points out. "These are here to stop us. I say you and me move ahead, recon the pens, find the slaves, then rescue them. After that, our main mission is a snap up."

He thinks... "OR... I could stick my hand out with a gob of the explosive charge, arm it, drop it into the hallway and think about it blowing up. They placed explosive wards so any EXPLOSIONS wouldn't seem amiss. Plus they already know some of us are here so we can arm the explosives while we're in the stone walls, let them go and see if they stay in place, then high tail it to the pens and literally THINK up a cave in."

He looks over at Vir Prime, "Honestly, not off the top of the Weasel Mind. Keep them in the bag, keep the bag open, and tell them to stay put."
Link to my homebrews

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
Sheerak O Vir, have the birds do what Sable said, have them move underground.  They'll be slow, but they'll stay safe.  In fact, send a Flight with the widest range of death underground right now under the barracks!  We've lost the element of surprise, we might as well send in the first volley while we can. 

Vir nods and gets one of the flights ready, one with the widened undead/negitive energy attacks.  He does not loose them or activate their rituals quite yet, pausing just a moment to see if anyone objects. 

Vir O Vir 10, go with Sable.  Do what he says, but don't do anything you wouldn't do.  Sable, he can go into and out of the forbidance without damage, so have fun. 

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
Sable nods in agreement with Sheerak Prime, "Trapping us in the stone walls may be their undoing, since they can't retaliate while we're in here. Send them to the barracks, Vir. Or, perhaps to put it more dramatically, unleash the feathers of death, or something. He's... *points to Vir-10* ... with me, unless someone says better." Sable will pause, then if he hears no objection, will start to head towards the slave pens, his vision in the walls far less impeded then his vision (and lifespan) in the halls would be. Sable would be sticking to the spaces in the stone.
Link to my homebrews

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Ptolemaeus shakes his head with all the worrying about the damn birds. "And that is why you do not go to war with stupid birds," he says with a smirk.

He then turns to Sable. "We have no Time to lose. You go on ahead with your scouting. We will handle the explosion. We do not need to put it outside into the tunnel for it to be set and explode, do we? As soon as it leaves our hand, it will simply lose its ability to move through the earth, but I highly doubt it will rob it of its ability to explode."

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
WAIT!  Vir10 needs to stay near me as well, because some of the other Virs are copies of him, not VirO.

As for the glyphs, we can just ignore them.  We don't need them destroyed, because we won't set them off.  It might actually be a good idea to leave them intact, so that anyone coming up behind us could potentially forget to disarm them and get blown up themselves.  Although... I wonder... If the rock that the Glyphs are written on is destroyed, are the Glyphs themselves destroyed as well?
(click to show/hide)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Oops.  Forgot to put the modifier on the roll.  +35 to the Spellcraft / Knowledge: Arcana check.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »
He then turns to Sable. "We have no Time to lose. You go on ahead with your scouting. We will handle the explosion. We do not need to put it outside into the tunnel for it to be set and explode, do we? As soon as it leaves our hand, it will simply lose its ability to move through the earth, but I highly doubt it will rob it of its ability to explode."

Sable smirks at the commentary, then gives a nod, and starts to head in the direction of the proposed Slave Pens...

WAIT!  Vir10 needs to stay near me as well, because some of the other Virs are copies of him, not VirO.

"Then I'll handle this." and the weasel heads off towards the pens... alone.
Link to my homebrews

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Sable, be careful.  Guards & Wards has other effects that are much more nasty than fog.  Also, it looks like the pens right here are abandoned.  And Group 8 reported that the supply area also looks abandoned.  Cages empty with doors just hanging open...  Perhaps we should set the demolitions, blow the tunnel, and wait to see who shows up from the Alarm spell.  In the mean time, we can follow Sable from underground, in case he needs backup.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
What's everybody's status?  Is anybody in any group down besides parrots?

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
Vir O Some of the Virs took hard hits and the sheerak's too, but they are ok.

Vir sends 2 Flights of birds off through the rock North and West, staying in the rock and staying about 40 feet from the Left hand wall  and curving around with it (death arc has radius of 40 feet, so that should hit anyone in the room).  Getting to a range where the Parrots won't kill Group 10 will take two rounds with them making a double move each roudn (creatures cannot Run while burrowing, and earth glide appears simmilar to burrowing in that regard). 

Ok everyone, stay away from the active death flight.  If you are caught near them once they are active, you may die.  If you get right on top of them, you WILL die....well, at least those of you not undead already....not sure about you.

Last chance for anyone to tell me this is a bad plan.  I don't want to throw a cloud of death where you're about to walk.  Hopefully this won't backfire by killing us of the birds.

Sheerak looks shocked...well, she's invisible, but she SOUNDS shocked.  I thought you were sure it wouldn't kill us!

Ehh, hard to predict, new spells and all, trust me.  Sheerak looks (again, invisible) molified for the moment...she does trust him, but this makes her nervous.

(click to show/hide)

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Ptolemaeus shakes his head again. "We cannot wait any longer. We have to set the explosives now. That is our priority. Whatever Sable may be facing there he can simply avoid it for now."