Author Topic: Imp Grab into the ground?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
Imp Grab into the ground?
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
If a character with the Earth Dreamer PRC is using its earth glide ability to move underground and then uses Imp Grab to pull an enemy into its square while underground what happens?

Please, call me Count :).

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Imp Grab into the ground?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
I don't see any indication that Earth Glide allows you to take along another person, so my guess would be that the earth dreamer can't pull the victim into his square.  The vic hits the ground and stops.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
assuming the victim does not possess the earthglide ability, and that you can't take someone with you: they would be potentially grappled/pinned but not pulled into your square and you would have cover to some degree. in effect you would both be pulled to the edge of your respective squares and occupy a virtual square in between or something.

if you can take someone with you, or they don't exceed your allowed encumbrance: then they would get pulled into the ground. and you could likely then leave them there. i suppose a dm ruling might allow part of them to be pulled into the ground proportional to the encumbrance allowed that equates the percentage pulled into the ground. so if you have 50 pounds left, and the victim weighed 100 lbs, then you could pull them about half-way into the ground, maybe three quarters depending on weight distribution.

i think the grapple check would suffice for purposes of a saving throw to resist this effect.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »
I don't see any indication that Earth Glide allows you to take along another person, so my guess would be that the earth dreamer can't pull the victim into his square.  The vic hits the ground and stops.

My thinking was that Imp Grab might bypass this since it specifically states that the target is put into your square. 
Please, call me Count :).

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Similar issue as to what happens when a Thommil (UE) engulfs someone, then earthglides into the ground...

Then what happens if the Thommil stays there until the Summon spell that brought him there expires?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »

My thinking was that Imp Grab might bypass this since it specifically states that the target is put into your square.

i think that the feat assumes combat in an open space, and they had to decide which square both combatants wound up in?

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:09:51 AM »
a lot of spells or effects that leaves someone inside a solid object usually ends in shunting.

If you end the spell and become material while inside a material object (such as a solid wall), you are shunted off to the nearest open space and take 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet that you so travel.

So, if you were allowed to drag them down and "leave them there" I'd rule that they were expelled as such.

If you weren't allowed to drag them with you, they would hit the floor (maybe some damage) I guess and then be "grappling" with you, whilst you grab at them from the earth.