Author Topic: The competitive player  (Read 7287 times)

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
Re: The competitive player
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
You lost 3 Players?
Sounds like the rest of the group minus you, Oldy, and the new guy are all that are left.
It sounds like reforming a new group with the old guys sounds best.
A De Facto boot from the party to the new guy.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
(click to show/hide)
I am all for doing your best to keep from losing a player. Especially one who has been beneficial. However, if you have to lose 3 other people, or lose the new guy, then the new guy drew the short stick. Or, in this case, he shortened his own stick.

Still, I wish I had some way to give input on how to manage this scenario other than just link The Gentleman's Agreement, but I just don't have enough info about it all.

[P.S. I'm somewhat surprised that Josh hasn't been in here to crush everyone saying "kick him out" YET.]
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline 10d10

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
You lost 3 Players?
Sounds like the rest of the group minus you, Oldy, and the new guy are all that are left.
It sounds like reforming a new group with the old guys sounds best.
A De Facto boot from the party to the new guy.

Nah, we still have 1 guy and the competitive player's GF (she's nice and all, but he tend to make her shift her actions so he can have someone on his side during a group in-game discussion), but really all the rest who jumped ship are starting new campaigns away from the guy. Like you advised, only, it came naturally to the new GMs :)

Offline 10d10

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
I am all for doing your best to keep from losing a player. Especially one who has been beneficial. However, if you have to lose 3 other people, or lose the new guy, then the new guy drew the short stick. Or, in this case, he shortened his own stick.

Still, I wish I had some way to give input on how to manage this scenario other than just link The Gentleman's Agreement, but I just don't have enough info about it all.

[P.S. I'm somewhat surprised that Josh hasn't been in here to crush everyone saying "kick him out" YET.]

Thank you, that link is quite useful :) I'll take a look at it and maybe use that idea myself in the campaign I'm working on. Something like "guys, here's the deal, let's all agree to that before starting the story".

After I listened the Brilliant Gameologists episodes on kicking players and such I have to always re-think when the impulse is just do kick someone out. Maybe it's all chaotic and problematic because the DM allowed it, maybe the guy isn't feeling all that threatened in game so he's just picking fights and being jerkish (like killing random NPCs during a hissy fit in character).

All the input I gather here helped (if not for this game, for future reference).