Author Topic: The Game!  (Read 23952 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• Honorary Mod
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
The Game!
« on: September 24, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
You aren't quite sure what happened, to be honest. There was a lot of screaming and smoke, and you are pretty sure you heard a giant lizard roaring from down the hall somewhere. What you do know is that the facility is nothing more than a smoldering ruin at this point, and all the members of the Scions of the Consecrated Path have either fled, been crushed under rubble, or fallen victim to one of the creatures formerly in containment here. You are also keenly aware that you have a limited amount of time before more Scions come to clean up this mess before the Taint gets out of hand.

You are standing in the crater that was formerly the underground portion of a large facility meant to contain Tainted specimens. Unstable rubble surrounds you for about 500ft in every direction, and there is low visibility due to the still-settling dust cloud. Fortunately, you weren't crushed by the collapse, but the entire area is still unstable.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:44:48 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The Game!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 06:17:56 PM »
The "Magister" dusts himself down, then proceeds to cast a Mage Armor spell in case that anything dangerous happens next. Surveying his environment he spots a lifeless hand still clutching a jade vessel, and doesn't hesitate one moment to pocket it.

Afterwards he seeks good cover positions and advances forward looking for any interesting critters, surprisingly nimbly and stealthily for an doddy old wizard.

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »
Tanya frowns. The majority of people she was supposed to guard are dead under the rubble. This is not in contract. Explosion not intruder.

As she scans the ruins, she thinks. No one left to pay me. Only 10% up front. The rest after a year. One holiday a month. Good contract. Until they all died. Noticing the jade vessels, she takes them as 'severance pay' and stores them securely for the moment. She frowns again. Finding a buyer will be tedious. She prefers simple things, like guarding or killing intruders.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
Yawning, Tiny stretches and sits up, forcing the rubble aside. It was somewhat heavy but far from unreasonably so... more a nuisance than a problem. Now, everything being destroyed... that would make being fed a problem, but she could probably just eat her way through the rubble and dead bodies whilst waiting for some idea of where she ought to go from here. All in all, the young girl seemed quite unconcerned about making herself known, getting up and wandering around the site curiously, looking for anyone alive and mobile. Who might have food, or know where to go to get food.

Quite unsurprisingly, this meant she was making her way over to Tanya.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:26:55 PM »
Tanya sees the little girl walking towards her. She notices the horns and recalls the required reading for her recent job. This is the 'mostly harmless' form of a monster? Was that what it was called?

"Little girl monster... " she begins to say, wanting to follow up with 'this is a restricted area' but the crater and the dead pretty-much-everyone would make that argument a bit weak. Plus her contract expired with her employers... "It is dangerous for you here."

Yes, a much better statement. And factually accurate.

Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 09:19:39 PM »
Smoke and dust billow through the ruins of the facility and a pale, gaunt creature regains its composure. Balancing on the end of bladelike appendages, it surveys the damage and scans for danger, finding little but a few beings emerging from the rubble. Are those more of the observers? They look like them...

The creature uses the dust for cover as it concentrates, taking on a form not entirely unlike the humans who ran the facility. It seems that dust is hardly any good for cover, but the disguise would still be useful. Better for blending in, even if there was little to blend in with. The creature had learned much since awakening in this place; survival, on the other hand, had always come naturally.

The creature-turned-humanoid watches as one of the human-things darts over and grabs a green box. The creature knew only enough about the box to stay away from it.

It watched... pale yellow eyes darting here and there as more beings began to move about. It decided to approach the congregating beings as one spoke to the other. The creature twirled as it moved, twisting between piles of rubble and stepping nimbly over debris.

"What is happened here? What did?" it asks neither one in particular.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:22:33 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:13:35 PM »
Half of the roof suddenly comes crashing down on the table filled with fragile alembics and bubbling venom.

"Oh, Bother!  That was the last of my sample!"

Scanning the ruins of the room and then beyond the oddly round-bodied professor quickly forgets his crushed experiment as the extent of the damage sparks the realization that his singular moment had begun.  Wasting no time he sinuously glides over to a prearranged corner of the room and surreptitiously upends the remains of his table effectively hiding himself and simulating his burial in one smooth motion.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:35:26 PM by dman »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:14:54 AM »
"It's dangerous? There's just rocks..." Tiny says, looking around thoughtfully and catching site of the knifey-man turning into a much less knifey person, though still a bit on the pointy side as he came over, "Oh, something was just smashing things. I took a nap."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
"Hello pointy monster." she says, unfazed by the previously seen natural form of the creature. "Was just warning little girl monster that this place is not safe. Not all monsters here friendly."

She pauses. "Not all people either. Don't know why they were keeping monsters here, but they might come back for you. You should scurry along while I am off work. Get paid to guard facility, but there is no facility, so need to find new contract."
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »
The "knifey-man" quirked its head to the side.

"I am not monster. I am me. I am Razor. Now Razor is free..."

Razor pauses for a moment, before asking, "What is 'contract?'"

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
"Contract, contract..." Tiny mutters, rifling around in her pockets... and producing a handful of gold. Perhaps they were once coins that had been flattened, or perhaps gold found directly in the earth at some point, only to be evidenced in scales much like magical items. Either way, it clearly didn't bear the hallmarks of any maker now... but gold was gold, and its weight and purity mattered more in the end than the maker.

"... I'm hungry. Help?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
Tanya accepts the gold. "Contract established. We can look for food here, but then we should make for a settlement. We will also find better food there."
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
Razor looks down at their hand, then back at the two talking creatures. They scurry off toward some rubble, pull out a tattered sack, and return.

"I know of money. If I give you money, you help me too? This is 'contract'?"

Razor reaches in the sack and pulls out a small handful of gold coins, holding it out to Tanya.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
Watching the congregation for a while, and not finding it to be too aggressive or dangerous, the "Magister" steps out of his hiding spot.

"May I introduce myself, I am Magister Gaius Quintus Astrares. I am a friend, and I know my way around here a fair bit. As this fair lady suggested, we should find our way out here soon. It won't be long until Scions of a much less friendly disposition show up to hurt and imprison you again."

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 07:04:47 PM »

(click to show/hide)

A significantly less rounded professor peeks out and emerges from under the table.  The professor quickly gathers a number of boxes and bags and heaves them up on his shoulders.  Just as he finishes a Scion special agent steps out from behind the table and grabs a pack indicated by the professor.  He holds up a folded paper and the professor quickly tucks it into his inside pocket.  They begin walking purposefully shoulder to shoulder in the direction of the records room.

Offline Nytemare3701

• Honorary Mod
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
As the dust settles further, you can more clearly see the extent of the damage and your position within it. No structures left to speak of and no recoverable supplies. The rubble gently slopes upward in the distance rising about 15 feet as it approaches the edges of the crater at what used to be "ground level". A small number of dust-covered humanoids, both wearing Scion uniforms and not, are milling about the wreckage trying to get their bearings.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »
An elf emerges from a pile of rubble and groans, then searches around until finding a very nice looking backpack.  He is clearly a scientist.

He mutters softly to himself as he surveys the damage, "Others survived, including Subjects.  No Objects, not that they'd be moving about to be identified.  The lower portions of this facility are probably intact but given current conditions that will not remain the case indefinitely." 

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 09:09:57 AM »
Tanya accept's Razor's currency before hearing the Magister. She nodded at being called a fair lady. He was a good judge of character.  She fairly killed all intruders regardless of excuses. "We are heading to the exit-" she begins, before looking at Tiny "after seeing what is left of the cafeteria."

She sees the elf and raises her voice. "Oy! Elf! This is a dangerous place."
Hmm.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
The elf gives Tanya a confused look.

"Of course this place is dangerous, that's why I came here to study!"

He waves his Scion's Light amulet in her direction as if it was some sort of identification badge.

"Acting like I don't know where I am or what I am doing," he harrumphs.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »
Razor nimbly twirls between debris, and although taking great care not to disturb the crumbling architecture, seems to do so more swiftly than most creatures move at full-speed.

"Good, good! Yes, 'contract established.' Where is the exit?"

Razor seems pleased with the arrangement, until seeing the figures in Scion garb and waving around badges. Razor stops twirling.

"I am regular human-person, no need for shocking, no need for colding."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:32:21 PM by VennDygrem »