Author Topic: Horror RPG System Recommendations?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Fredgerd

• I'm newd!
    • View Profile
Horror RPG System Recommendations?
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:37:11 PM »
So I'm increasingly wanting to do a supernatural horrorpunk type game lately but struggling to find a system that works for me (probably in part because the only systems I've played in that genre are Call of Cthulu and AFMBE, once each, so I'm a scrub to the genre).

The setting I'm going for is a sort of slummy mega city where an otherworldly portal has unleashed extra dimensional shadow wraiths of sorts that possess people, give them supernatural powers and drive them toward being the worst sorts of beings humanity has to offer. This has a twofold goal. First, it keeps the terrors human which I think makes them more visceral. Second it lets players experience a "becoming the monster" sort of arch for their characters, where in they face supernatural threats with mundane means and can expend points to draw on their own powers but at the cost losing some humanity (and ultimately losing control of their character to a wraith). Beyond this element I'm hoping to keep rules fairly simple both to focus on atmosphere and narrative and to keep character creation bare bones on the rules end so that players can replace dead characters without to much trouble.

Any suggestions?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Horror RPG System Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »
I know some good horror systems but nothing that would work for that kind of world.

I know a great space prison in a hell dimension game though.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:53 PM »
FATAL
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Fredgerd

• I'm newd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »
FATAL

Well it'd certainly get that worst humanity has to offer vibe going. Doesn't exactly lend to simplicity though. How am I supposed to run a narrative atmospheric encounter when my players are looking up the rules for anal circumference checks?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »
Hunter:  The Vigil

Dread

Monster Hearts

InSpectres

In order of most likely to least likely. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Taking inspiration from nWoD, I’ve been running my own humans-turning-into-monsters setting with Fate, using a special 5-pt consequence track called Humanity, which players can use to get event-based boosts, by taking on aspects that represent their physical deviation from human baseline. It also acts as a limiter for their magic skills, first aspect grants 1 rank for a magic skill, second grants two ranks (so they could now have 3 in one, 2/1 in two, or 1/1/1 in three), etc.

Eventually, Evil Hat is supposed to put out a horror book for Fate, I’ll be watching that carefully.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!