Author Topic: [3.5] Stone Dragon and Flying Carpets  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
[3.5] Stone Dragon and Flying Carpets
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:25 PM »
Does D&D have a consistent definition of "the ground"? I'm wondering exactly how large a chunk of rock I'm going to have to stand on top of. Probably going to have get pumice or something to satisfy the weight limits of carpets of flying, but still, maybe we can make something work.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Stone Dragon and Flying Carpets
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:52 PM »
I usually just suggest wearing stone clogs. A bit of a problem if you go swimming, perhaps, cement shoes are more of a fashion statement than a threat to Stone Dragon adepts.

Online RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
Does D&D have a consistent definition of "the ground"? I'm wondering exactly how large a chunk of rock I'm going to have to stand on top of. Probably going to have get pumice or something to satisfy the weight limits of carpets of flying, but still, maybe we can make something work.
Not that I know of. It's a fairly MTP, English-language-type definition, so it will likely vary DM to DM. DMs who don't like the idea will likely say that it says "ground" and not "dirt" or "stone", but I don't think you can point to RAW one way or the other.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »
That's what I expected. I had a fairly nice DM (campaign ended after the session the question was for), so I wasn't worried about it working. Whenever I come up with shenanigans, though, I tend to try and find out if the rules have a real position one way or the other, without DM fiat.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »
It's a pretty silly limitation anyway.  None of the other disciplines, if I recall correctly, have anything like that applied to them.  I habitually ignore it.