Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun  (Read 20140 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
[D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun
« on: July 08, 2017, 04:45:16 PM »
So, I'm in the mood for a little adventure that takes place outside of Arhosa. This is a "one-shot" adventure designed to be a little difficult.

Background:
The mood amongst the adventurers was good. Or rather, had been good. Today, it was significantly less so. A great storm of fire had swept across the Khud-Al jungle, sending the adventurers fleeing before it and consuming the treasures they had been able to recover from a tumbledown city of stone. Now possessed of only what they carried with them, they were both frustrated and relieved, weeks of effort literally gone up in smoke.

The only good to come of the devastation was that their flight had led them to stumble across Tooj-Reh, a rough-hewn frontier town and a haven for explorers and traders of the Khud-Al jungle. The group had heard of the town, of course, but had entered the sprawling mess of the jungle from the south, and never thought to be driven this far from their point of origin. At least there might be work here...

Rule Set: 3.5 + Homebrew (see below)
Players: 3-4
Starting level: 3rd
Character creation: 25 PB, average hp for rolled HD (1st level is maximized). Gold is 3rd level WBL. No Flaws/Traits.
Optimization: Tier 3.
Resources: Core + Homebrew.

Allowed Homebrewers: (I reserve the right to request modifications/reject individual items before play begins)
SirPercival
Garryl
FireInTheSky
Myself (Stratovarius)

You can also ask about someone else's content. I will have to review it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:51:51 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
I'm on the short list, cool.

Is 24 PB a typo? That's unusually low if it's 3.5 edition's point buy (elite array is 25 PB, I think).

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
You should know by now I trust your sense of balance :p

And 25 it was supposed to be.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
Hmm, I might be interested. I've been wanting to try Garryl's Monk remake, though there are still some issues with MADness that would not be helped with lower point buy. I'll see if I can make it work, otherwise I'd go with more of a SAD class. :)

That said, I trust there will also be plenty of other interested players too. We'll see how it goes! :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
I suspect we'll get a few. :D

And when you get a chance, just drop a link to anything you're interested in here so I can give it a quick once over.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
Hmm, I might be interested. I've been wanting to try Garryl's Monk remake, though there are still some issues with MADness that would not be helped with lower point buy. I'll see if I can make it work, otherwise I'd go with more of a SAD class. :)

That said, I trust there will also be plenty of other interested players too. We'll see how it goes! :D

Heh. I was just thinking about the same class. See if Combat Martial Arts doesn't help with that MADness.

I've got a lot of my own homebrew that I'd like to test out, but I also kind of want to buck the trend and use someone else's material for a change. I've always wanted to try out DonQuixote's Spellshaping Codices.

Edit: Strat, here's the monk link if you want to double check it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:34:54 PM by Garryl »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »

Heh. I was just thinking about the same class. See if Combat Martial Arts doesn't help with that MADness.

I've got a lot of my own homebrew that I'd like to test out, but I also kind of want to buck the trend and use someone else's material for a change. I've always wanted to try out DonQuixote's Spellshaping Codices.

Edit: Strat, here's the monk link if you want to double check it.

If you had your heart set on monk, don't let me step on your toes! I can always try something else! :)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
If you had your heart set on monk, don't let me step on your toes! I can always try something else! :)

Thanks for the offer, but it was just one of many things under consideration. I'm still going through my list of interesting homebrew that I want to try out. It's not a small list.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Ugh, but I haven't even made my character for Garryl's game yet!   :P

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 08:46:10 PM »
Sure, what the hell, I'll express interest. Seems like a good time to play with the Ætherforge! Thoughts?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »
Alright, so, that's the game filled in short order.

We have:
Venn w/ Garryl's Monk
Garryl w/ Spellshaping
Nanshork w/ unknown
Sirpercival w/ Aetherforge

Time for me to get reviewing.

The first part of the game is IC RP (the introduction, getting the general story going) - I can have that IC post up today if people want to start talking while they're still designing the character mechanics.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
For me, I figured based on the short but of info posted in the intro up top that my character would likely be sworn to protect one of the other characters, rather than being a treasure-minded mercenary. Seems to fit the class theme a bit more! ;)

Anyone feel like having a bodyguard? :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 10:13:10 AM »
So, quick update:
Monk and Aetherforge look fine. Spellshaping is probably fine, it's just complex enough I can't get a handle on it at first glance.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
I like that you know that my complaint meant that I want to play.   :lmao

Let me figure out what I want to be.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »
Spellshaping is kinda like a cross between warlock and martial adept. It's pretty mature, and nothing much to worry about.

Venn, if I do something bizarre like play an anthropomorphic toad, I could employ you to carry me around. Actually, the hilarious thing would for you to pretend to be a wizard (no need for big swords, quarterstaff is a monk weapon :D ) and I'd be your "familiar". We could be a pair of con artists.

This is an amazing idea.

EDIT: Though they're Small, not Tiny. Hm.

EDIT: Maybe a CN, foul-mouthed Jermlaine?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:05:31 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
You'd also have to get Anthropomorphic past the DM, which you have a Diminutive chance of. :P

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
Spellshaping is a lot, yes. It's basically ToB with magic, although it has a few nuances about that like spellshape attacks.
  • Spellshape Attacks: Every circle has one, and you can attack with it similar to a manufactured weapon (getting full attacks). Shaping a major formula typically has you make an attack with the circle's spellshape attack. Spellshape attacks typically come in two varieties: magical (1d6 damage, ranged touch attack), and physical (1d8 damage, ranged attack, +1/2 level to attack roll), although a couple break the mold. Damage typically increases by 1 die every 4 levels after 1st, similar to 5th edition's cantrips.
  • Formulas: The equivalent of ToB's maneuvers. Major formulae are standard actions, and many (though hardly all) are like strikes. Minor formulae are like boosts. Effects are a lot more varied than ToB maneuvers, since they draw conceptually from spells. Damage is typically significantly lower, though. Strike-like major formulae, and the minor formulae that boost attacks, typically can only be used with the spellshape attack from the circle without specific feats and class features. Formulae are subject to arcane spell failure.
  • Circle: The equivalent of a ToB discipline. A collection of formulae, plus a spellshape attack. Each circle also has a numen (aura) and three incantations (spell-like abilities) which can be accessed with specific feats and class features.

I'm looking at playing a spellsage with the battle sage ACF. I haven't figured out what circles and formulae I'm interested in, although I'll likely grab Natural Balance at least and snag the Project Numen feat so I can play party healer and do some buffing.

Edit: Notes to self regarding character building.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:54:19 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
You'd also have to get Anthropomorphic past the DM, which you have a Diminutive chance of. :P
Jermlaine? Or no? :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
Ugh, I can't figure out what to play.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
Ugh, I can't figure out what to play.
Panphobic! Wardancer! Great Wheel Ranger! Jongleur!