Author Topic: Fun Finds Compilation - Discussion Thread  (Read 14101 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds Compilation - Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
No prob, had some time on my hands and noticed that you hadn't done anything w it.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
Woo! I'm back, and finally working on this again!

Two things in this update:

What is "Inspire Awe" from Bard?
No, I'm not touching (most of) Kingdoms of Kalamar. SorO just mentions two dozen items with a couple words each, and I can't be bothered to write in two dozen [Kingdoms of Kalamar][???][???][Magic ring of +2 to "knowledge skill"] or somesuch.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 02:47:35 AM »
Welcome back!

Inspire Awe is a Bard ACF from Dragon Magic.  It forces enemies to make a Will save or be Shaken, DC equal to the bard's performance check.  There's no clause preventing the normal fear escalation rules from applying, so it's great for a fear-stacking build. 

Just as well that you don't bother with Kingdoms of Kalamar.  It's got a reputation for being horribly written and terribly balanced, and it's not first party material anyway. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 04:06:58 AM »
Welcome back!

Inspire Awe is a Bard ACF from Dragon Magic.  It forces enemies to make a Will save or be Shaken, DC equal to the bard's performance check.  There's no clause preventing the normal fear escalation rules from applying, so it's great for a fear-stacking build. 

Just as well that you don't bother with Kingdoms of Kalamar.  It's got a reputation for being horribly written and terribly balanced, and it's not first party material anyway.
Wonderful, thank you.

Started a second/third-party post, because there's a lot of it. Plus, this way if I accidentally put a third-party thing inside the post, I can just throw it in a different post and it'll work out fine anyways.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 12:07:42 AM »
(I couldn't find Fun Finds v2 or v1. Links would be appreciated.)

Looks like they're on the old board (brilliantgameologists.com)

v1     http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7173.0;wap2

v2     http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11926.0;wap2

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
Due to WotC shutting down/hiding in a hole I'll save the unofficial Eberron feats for posterity:

Since the article never came out, I don't see much reason not to post those two feats. However, bear in mind that unlike other dragonshards, these have not been approved by WotC Development and should not be considered official material.

Death Curse is primarily aimed at NPCs, providing even weak aberrant opponents with a chance to strike back when they fall; it's based on the concept of Tarkanan and the Lady of the Plague being able to pour their lives into a final vengeful strike. Hideous Strength relates to the idea that aberrant marks often disfigure the bearer in some way.

DEATH CURSE
When you are about to die, you can make a final strike with the power of your dragonmark.
Prerequisites: Aberrant Dragonmark.
Benefit: When you suffer an injury that reduces your hit points to -1 or below, you may choose to invoke your death curse on your enemies. Select one of your aberrant dragonmark abilities and an opponent who participated in the final attack. This opponent must be within the normal range of the spell effect and you must make a successful attack roll if it is required, but you do not have to have an action prepared. Your effective caster level is increased by 4, and the saving throw DC against the effect is increased by 2. However, there is one drawback: you die as soon as you have released the curse, regardless of your current hit point total.
You may also choose to invoke your death curse any time you use an aberrant dragonmark ability; however, you die immediately after activating the power. In either case, death is unavoidable; if you find some effect that prevents death, then the curse will not take effect.

HIDEOUS STRENGTH
Your aberrant dragonmark is unusually strong, but it has a tangible disturbing effect. This may take the form of physical disfigurement, noxious odor, or an inexplicably repellent aura: whatever the visible signs, others find you to be especially disturbing.
Benefit:The caster level of your aberrant dragonmark powers is increased by 1, and the saving throw DC is increased by 2. However, when dealing with any creature aside from an aberration or humanoid with an aberrant dragonmark, you take a -2 penalty on the following skills or abilities: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Perform, or wild empathy. Barring other factors, a hostile animal will choose you as a target over other nearby enemies.

Also, OP you have repeated entries. Try copy-pasting into a spreadsheet so you can easily sort and scan through the duplicates...

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
Due to WotC shutting down/hiding in a hole I'll save the unofficial Eberron feats for posterity:

Since the article never came out, I don't see much reason not to post those two feats. However, bear in mind that unlike other dragonshards, these have not been approved by WotC Development and should not be considered official material.

Death Curse is primarily aimed at NPCs, providing even weak aberrant opponents with a chance to strike back when they fall; it's based on the concept of Tarkanan and the Lady of the Plague being able to pour their lives into a final vengeful strike. Hideous Strength relates to the idea that aberrant marks often disfigure the bearer in some way.

DEATH CURSE
When you are about to die, you can make a final strike with the power of your dragonmark.
Benefit: When you suffer an injury that reduces your hit points to -1 or below, you may choose to invoke your death curse on your enemies. Select one of your aberrant dragonmark abilities and an opponent who participated in the final attack. This opponent must be within the normal range of the spell effect and you must make a successful attack roll if it is required, but you do not have to have an action prepared. Your effective caster level is increased by 4, and the saving throw DC against the effect is increased by 2. However, there is one drawback: you die as soon as you have released the curse, regardless of your current hit point total.
You may also choose to invoke your death curse any time you use an aberrant dragonmark ability; however, you die immediately after activating the power. In either case, death is unavoidable; if you find some effect that prevents death, then the curse will not take effect.

HIDEOUS STRENGTH
Your aberrant dragonmark is unusually strong, but it has a tangible disturbing effect. This may take the form of physical disfigurement, noxious odor, or an inexplicably repellent aura: whatever the visible signs, others find you to be especially disturbing.
Benefit:The caster level of your aberrant dragonmark powers is increased by 1, and the saving throw DC is increased by 2. However, when dealing with any creature aside from an aberration or humanoid with an aberrant dragonmark, you take a -2 penalty on the following skills or abilities: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Perform, or wild empathy. Barring other factors, a hostile animal will choose you as a target over other nearby enemies.

Also, OP you have repeated entries. Try copy-pasting into a spreadsheet so you can easily sort and scan through the duplicates...
Thank you!

Yeah, I've just been copying them in line-by-line from the threads... since stuff shows up in the threads multiple times, it shows up in the posts multiple times. I'm trying to get all of the threads up to the current day before I end up sorting them, just to make it easier to be like "Have I done this page of the thread?".

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
Twenty more pages down. Some online sources that went poof, and a whole lot of question marks I can deal with later.

Yes, I'm planning on, after I've caught up, going through and removing every single ???, (?), unsure statement, or vague quote. This is going to take forever.

Edit: Oh, and it went over 60k characters for first-party (we're at 69k right now), and about halfway done... I think it'll be two posts just for 1p by the end. Hoping it's not three, but it wouldn't be too difficult.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:24:54 PM by Gazzien »

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »
Not sure if it has ever come up:

Dragon #319
Greyhawk setting "regional" feat (race/region restricted)
Faerie Mysteries Initiate - several effects, but the only relevant one is use Int instead of Con for bonus hit points.
Requires you to "engage in an exuberant sensual act" with another individual who has the feat for "15 minutes".
Lasts until you use the feat again to change your bonus. (Like that would ever happen.)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 04:22:48 AM »
Not sure if it has ever come up:

Dragon #319
Greyhawk setting "regional" feat (race/region restricted)
Faerie Mysteries Initiate - several effects, but the only relevant one is use Int instead of Con for bonus hit points.
Requires you to "engage in an exuberant sensual act" with another individual who has the feat for "15 minutes".
Lasts until you use the feat again to change your bonus. (Like that would ever happen.)
It's probably in one of the threads, if I haven't gotten to it yet.

This/these handbook/s are just compilations of the different "Fun Finds", "Interesting Finds", etc etc threads that stick around in the Min/Max sub-board. I'll put that in now, though.  :tongue

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
???   Feat   Tomtor Style   If you deal damage on a melee javelin attack, throw it at a target within 30'. You take no penalty on melee attacks with a javelin. RAW: free Power Attack, anyone?

Did anyone else picture Troy or Sparta when they read this one?

Also, the War spells from dragon mag (with the horrible casting times) would look awesome on a SotAO Paladin with Battle Blessing, assuming it's allowed to work on those spells (YMMV).

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 01:55:43 PM »
Yeah, I've just been copying them in line-by-line from the threads... since stuff shows up in the threads multiple times, it shows up in the posts multiple times. I'm trying to get all of the threads up to the current day before I end up sorting them, just to make it easier to be like "Have I done this page of the thread?".
Ah. That totally makes sense then. Carry on.

Can you PM me when you fully catch up (but before you re-organize/purge)?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
Ah. That totally makes sense then. Carry on.

Can you PM me when you fully catch up (but before you re-organize/purge)?
Yeah, absolutely. I had another 15-20 pages done in the car today, but... my cat jumped onto my keyboard before I could post and screwed up the file. Time to start those pages over.

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 11:51:09 PM »
Are you fully caught up on this? Like everything up to this year, at least? What about the old BG fun find threads?

On topic: the permanent magic jar item is Fang of Inhabitation from EtCRp212. You basically pay 18k to become whatever creature you want assuming your Wiz9 can overcome its Will save and SR (if it isn't immune to necromancy or possession).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
EtCR?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer