Author Topic: Poke-Center (OOC Discussion)  (Read 214884 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Campaign Discussion
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »
Hey Osle, would incoming bombardment from the ship be susceptible to Intercepting Shade (Solar Wind 2, counter)?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
I may actually be illiterate.
*snip*
Please excuse my inability to remember my character sheet. Though in my own defense, I am only human.

Your avatar suggests otherwise, impostor.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »
Your avatar suggests otherwise, impostor.

Damn, he knows...
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
If Flay doesn't post his actions until tomorrow, his character will simply vanilla attack the nearest pirate.

Hey Osle, would incoming bombardment from the ship be susceptible to Intercepting Shade (Solar Wind 2, counter)?

Hmm, I'm going to rule yes for the rule of cool. But only for bombardment aimed at specific creatures (you or your allies), not when attacking a simple area. You may be able to deflect a cannon ball enough to don't hit an humanoid target, but a catapulted explosive still has to land somewhere.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #224 on: May 02, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
If Flay doesn't post his actions until tomorrow, his character will simply vanilla attack the nearest pirate.

Hmm, I'm going to rule yes for the rule of cool. But only for bombardment aimed at specific creatures (you or your allies), not when attacking a simple area. You may be able to deflect a cannon ball enough to don't hit an humanoid target, but a catapulted explosive still has to land somewhere.

It can land on the pirate ship. I'd be cool with that.  :D
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
Zax needs some Owl's Insight, stat.  Lol.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:07 AM »
Is there anything that Jeremy can actually do?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
@Arias: for someone playing it safe... you're doing something very dangerous.  :huh
At 1 hp and a low AC, you don't want to get close to anything that could aim at you.

@Nanshork: He can help the siege dudes with an Aid Another check to aim at the ship, maybe. Perhaps there are wounded villagers that could be brought back to safety. Bayleef can shoot Leaf Blades at people on the ship, if it can see them once they enter its range (maybe use a readied action for that).

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
Rabbit doesn't actually want to order the kid around, mostly cause he remembers what being a pirate cadet was like. Realisticly, he'd punch the Captain of the Guard in the face for entertaining the thought of bringing a kid to a battlefield now that the Galactic Federation has informed him (numerous times) that children are not to be considered enemy combatants until verified as such. Rabbit doesn't see Jeremy as a combatant, just the handler for his charmed armada of monsters that don't handle ice or water well, and since there's a plane of ice and an ocean between us and the ship, well shit... :)

This combat will potentially change Rabbit's view of Jeremy, considering his Ivysaur just took out a pirate.

As for what to do to help... Aid Another actions on the siege engineers to perfect their aim and take out some of the deck crew. Make Intimidate checks to bolster allies (The reverse of Demoralize, so actually probably diplomacy or just "We can do it!" speeches. And everyone said bards were useless :) ). Jeremy can start to see if Pokemon potions can heal people, elves, and whatever the hell Kurt is. Barring that, he can declare injured combatants and enemy fighters as evolved pokemon and try to capture them in pokeballs. ;)

Link to my homebrews

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2012, 05:54:45 PM »
So, looks like Kong will start to fly out to the pirate ship. He's only got a fly speed of 45, soooo.... it'll take a few rounds...
Kong got wings? Flying ape or those he do some kind of advanced twirly-ponytail trick a-la Dixie Kong?

Also, he could reach the ship pretty quickly.
Being an AA, your base speed is 40ft.
Fast tops it to 55.
110 with a double move and 220 if he runs.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:57:12 PM by Anomander »

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
@Arias: for someone playing it safe... you're doing something very dangerous.  :huh

couldn't think of anything better except either: A) retreat or; B) nothing.

Neither of those would really appeal to him.

Jeremy can start to see if Pokemon potions can heal people, elves, and whatever the hell Kurt is. Barring that, he can declare injured combatants and enemy fighters as evolved pokemon and try to capture them in pokeballs. ;)

(click to show/hide)
So, ummmm.... I'ma Pokemon.

KK "Jeremy"

Gotta catch 'em all. :)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
o_O

Well, aren't we glad someone thought to buy a feather anchor.
That's almost 1/3 of the crew on deck taking a swim. 17 pirates is still a lot to mash through but nothing Kong can't handle.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
Feather Tokens are, without a doubt, the most useful and strategically powerful magical items in the game. They're also overlooked, because people probably feel that if the token was supposed to be that powerful, it wouldn't cost "just" 100 gold.
Link to my homebrews

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
@osle: I notice that almost every Crystallized Silver strike maneuvers can only target creatures, including the AoE ones. Does that mean that unlike spells such as Fireball I couldn't damage objects or alter the environment with them? Like I couldn't freeze water or break a piece of wood with it since water and wood aren't creatures.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
You can. But it'll follow the hardness and other damaging object rules.

Feather Tokens are, without a doubt, the most useful and strategically powerful magical items in the game. They're also overlooked, because people probably feel that if the token was supposed to be that powerful, it wouldn't cost "just" 100 gold.

Damn right. Stop a boat dead by 50 GP? Pure gold.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:36:11 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I'd need to know how high the ship is.
Pha is currently at an elevation equal the the water's surface, and depending on whether or not the ship follows standard ship-shapes she would actually be between M-6 and M-8, since ships are usually going inward from deck to water instead of straight down. That should technically grant her some pretty good cover (pretty much why I chose that elevation).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2012, 06:41:13 PM »
The ship's deck is roughly 10 feet high from water level (upper decks in front nad back have an extra 5 feet). And all ship designs in this universe have less than 5-feet inclinations between their upper and lower parts  thanks to revolutionary naval designs, extremely complicated to explain, and  that also make drawing 2d depictions of battles that much easier.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
Pha will get some elevation. Will determine the rest of her actions depending on whether they are mostly all cowering or not.
Also, is the catapult a standard medieval model? Iron cogs, wooden beams, rope pressure system, the twisted cord that holds the arm and everything?

Also, Pha had added an extra 20ft of ice past the thick layer toward the sea. That ice is a single layer and brittle enough to collapse with a little pressure.
It was pretty much set to make climbing on the thick layer much more of a pain since climbing the brittle ice would send you back into the water.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:24:01 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
Sorry about missing that. Well, Frostburn (pg 11, bodies of water) basically states the ice crushes under and around them, no need for rolls, they're slowed down but still advance. Map updated.

Pha will get some elevation. Will determine the rest of her actions depending on whether they are mostly all cowering or not.
Also, is the catapult a standard medieval model? Iron cogs, wooden beams, rope pressure system, the twisted cord that holds the arm and everything?
About that
-Pha is harpooned and trying to move up with good maneuverability. Each of those half your movement speed, combined you'll not be rising more than 15 feet, barely enough to reach the upper deck edge and only get the commander and two pirates in reach of Never Outnumbered.
-Not only that, the commander is large and has a glaive. That's 20 feet reach, which means you're threatened in melee right now.  Want to risk the aoo?

And yes, it's a regular medieval catapult.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
Sorry about missing that. Well, Frostburn (pg 11, bodies of water) basically states the ice crushes under and around them, no need for rolls, they're slowed down but still advance. Map updated.

About that
-Pha is harpooned and trying to move up with good maneuverability. Each of those half your movement speed, combined you'll not be rising more than 15 feet, barely enough to reach the upper deck edge and only get the commander and two pirates in reach of Never Outnumbered.
-Not only that, the commander is large and has a glaive. That's 20 feet reach, which means you're threatened in melee right now.  Want to risk the aoo?

And yes, it's a regular medieval catapult.

Unless the front of the pirate ship is completely flat, there's a curve to it. He'd need to have reached around that curve to harpoon her, and didn't he switch to the harpoon to spear her? He'd need to draw his glaive to skewer her unless he's got the right feat / equipment to do that. So if that's the case, him drawing his weapon either means he provokes an attack of opportunity, or is unable to reach her with the glaive by the time she pops the Never Outnumbered.

Just saying :)
Link to my homebrews