Author Topic: Let's Play ToEE PC as a Pseudo-Online D&D Campaign  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Let's Play ToEE PC as a Pseudo-Online D&D Campaign
« on: August 04, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
EDIT
I rerecorded and reuploaded the first 2 videos (00 & 01) and added episode 02.  Things should work now!

ORIGINAL MESSAGE
Greetings, all!

I started a YouTube playlist where I do a Let's Play of Temple of Elemental Evil with Temple+ and the Circle of 8 mod.  The format is not a standard Let's Play, but treating the game like I'm running an online D&D 3.5 tabletop campaign using ToEE as a visualization app.

Enjoy, all!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:57:13 PM by Endarire »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ToEE PC as a Pseudo-Online D&D Campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 05:34:01 PM »
Nice. I'll add to my watch list. How's the game, BTW? Outside of being used as a let's play plan?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
I've played through ToEE (unmmodded aside from Co8 bugfixes) myself, and it's pretty good. It's a very faithful adaptation of the 3rd edition core ruleset. It's not a perfect implementation, but it's pretty darn close. This is both good and bad. Good in that 3rd edition combat is pretty solid after the first few levels, especially with a computer taking care of a lot of the more tedious elements. Bad in that 3rd edition still has plenty of flaws to it, especially in the first few levels, and the limited scope of core rules only keeps out the expanded material that worked to ameliorate them somewhat.

The campaign is pretty good for a dungeon crawl, with multiple paths and endings, although the combat encounters are a little uninspired, a product of the module's origins and age. This leads to a lot of large, sloggy fights towards the mid levels, where you're up against large numbers of fighter-type monsters that don't actually pose much of a threat individually and mostly serve as meat shields and speed bumps. Loot is also a little inconsistent, so having a couple of crafting feats on your spellcasters really helps. Overall, though, it really is a good, oldschool dungeon crawl.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:48:12 AM »
I plan to rerecord the first 2 videos (likely this weekend) due to technical errors.

Considering how spiffy I found this game initially, I decided to help mod it.  Anyone else who wants to help mod it should follow this link!

Thankee!

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
Greetings again, everyone!  This video series has been rerecorded and expanded also to include episode 02!  Previous problems with audio and video have been fixed through a combination of these and perhaps other means:

-Using a registered version of Bandicam which, unlike the free Loilo Game Recorder which I commonly used for other recordings, showed the ToEE PC game properly.

-Properly configuring Bandicam meant that other people could hear me.

-Not using alt-tab when viewing the script meant less undesired scrolling to dark places sometimes targeted by magic missiles.

-Using a standalone mike (Blue's Snowball Ice) instead of a standard Logitech headset and recording in quiet room in a college campus instead of at home improved audio quality.

Finally, thankee to everyone who watched the previous videos or/and gave constructive feedback!  I appreciated knowing early in the series that my recording setup needed fixing!