Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 27535 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »
Fair enough.  I'm just asking because I might play a Death Knight.  :p

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »
You just made me make one of the ACFs I had notes on. I hope you're happy. /pout

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
Don't worry, I am.   :D

The bonuses from Hysteria are minor, but Deadly Touch is pretty minor at low levels so that evens out.

I like the flavor behind Motivate Through Fear.

Rejected by Death should have some text about how it interacts with being undead at 20th level and being destroyed at 0 hp.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
I like the flavor behind Motivate Through Fear.

It's all evil versions of the PHB2 Knight's Challenge.
- Challenge a foe? Channel your hatred!
- Challenge your enemies? Piss them all off!
- Inspire your allies? Remind them that they should have feared you more!
- Intimidate your enemies? Intimidate your enemies harder!
- Force of will? Force of hatred!
- Cling to life? Laugh at death!

Rejected by Death should have some text about how it interacts with being undead at 20th level and being destroyed at 0 hp.

Done.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Ahh, okay.  That makes sense, I never really payed attention to the official knight class.

Rejected by death now has a typo: "being dying or destroyed"

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2016, 07:27:15 PM »
By the way, if I wind up doing them, the other two ACFs I had proposed for the Death Knight way back when will probably be PrCs instead.
- Pale Horseman: Mounted combat PrC for Death Knights. Improved Death's Steed, mount gets to use maneuvers you've previously used, eventually recovering them for you as it does so. Access to Devoted Spirit, Restless Bones, and one of those mounted disciplines other folks have made.
- Death Lord: Lord of undead armies. Attracts undead followers. Access to Restless Bones and White Raven.

And while I'm thinking about it, some more PrC ideas.
- Grim Reaper: Cleric/Death Knight or Spirit Warrior. Can raise creatures it kills as undead to serve it. Access to Restless Bones and Undying Call.
- Wastewalker: Swordsage/Death Knight. Master of hostile environments. Access to Desert Wind, Frozen Night, and Shadow Hand.
- Styx Guide: Spirit Warrior PrC. Puts souls to rest. Enemies slain cannot be raised, resurrected, or animated as undead without a Wish/Miracle/similar eventually. Gets a small bit of divine spellcasting (up to 5th level spells). Access to Devoted Spirit and Undying Call.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
Death Lord sounds awesome.  Then again, I'm biased.

SirP made an animal companion/mount discipline but I checked it out and it is nature focused which doesn't match the theme of this project.

All the prestige classes sound interesting actually.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »
Death Lord sounds awesome.  Then again, I'm biased.

SirP made an animal companion/mount discipline but I checked it out and it is nature focused which doesn't match the theme of this project.

All the prestige classes sound interesting actually.

Essence of Gaia would work great in principle if it wasn't nature-themed. Twin Spirit doesn't work for me either. I'm looking into Eternal Mount and Silver Pegasus right now. Silver Pegasus looks promising, despite the fact that it's name sends a signal completely at odds with the Pale Rider's theme.

Domeskipper's maneuver mechanics are based on a martial adept Ranger I was working on and passed over to him. Since this is a PrC, rather than a base class, and thus works with your existing maneuver mechanics and capabilities, I'm stripping out the basic principles rather than using the exact same mechanics.

On a Pale Horse: As a Pale Rider, your mount becomes an integral part of your combat style. Your Death's Steed has access to all of your readied maneuvers, as though it too was a martial adept with an initiator level equal to your own that knew and had readied those maneuvers. Your steed can ignore prerequisites relating to the number of maneuvers known, but must meet all other prerequisites to gain a maneuver this way, such as alignment restrictions. Your steed cannot use these maneuvers, initiator level, or other martial capabilities granted by this ability to qualify for feats and other options.

Your steed begins an encounter with all of its readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times it might have already used them. When it initiates a maneuver, it expends it for the current encounter, so each of its readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter.

Your steed can only follow your lead. At the beginning of each encounter, all of the steed's maneuvers are withheld from it. Whenever you initiate a maneuver while riding your steed, that maneuver is granted to your steed at the beginning of your turn. Thus, only those maneuvers that you have previously initiated during the current encounter while riding the steed are granted, and thus can be initiated.

As an immediate action while mounted on your steed, you can expend a maneuver to grant it to your steed as though you had initiated it. This maneuver is granted at the beginning of your next turn, just like a maneuver you had initiated.

Beginning at 10th level, whenever you recover a maneuver that your steed has expended, your steed also recovers that maneuver. Maneuvers recovered this way become withheld to your steed until such time as you initiate them again while mounted on it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
That sounds pretty good, I like the mechanics.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2016, 02:25:22 AM »
The Styx Guide is complete.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
It's very flavorful, I like it!

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
Pale Rider is about 70% done. It's just missing class features at 6th, 9th, and possibly 7th or 8th level.
- Death's Steed gets your maneuvers (approximately as described earlier, I probably tweaked it since then).
- Death's Steed has permanent duration, instead of 2 hours/level.
- Gain bonuses for 1 round when your steed initiates a maneuver while you're riding it. Bonuses depend on the type of maneuver used.
- Take 10 on Ride checks.
- Mounted Combat as a bonus feat. Might fill in some of the levels with additional bonus feats if need be.
- Rushes your steed initiates bring you along with it and affect you too for the movement stuff (ex: Ghost Strider turns you incorporeal along with your steed while it moves).
- Need something for levels 6 and 9.

Grim Reaper's at the concept stage. I should have enough ideas for most of the levels, although I don't know if they'll all make the cut.
- Full BAB, good Will, d10 HD.
- Progresses divine spellcasting 8/10 or 9/10.
- Restless Bones and Undying Call maneuvers.
- Maneuver progression: 5 known, 3 readied, 1 or 2 stances.
- Gain Weapon Focus and Specialization with scythe.
- Creatures you kill rise as skeletons or zombies 1d4 minutes later under your control. At higher levels, can raise them as other undead, too. Can permanently control a number of HD equal to your divine CL + your IL + your class level. You can choose not to animate them if you want (ex: to not go over your control pool, to leave the bodies for another to animate, to animate them yourself later with another effect, etc.).
- Levels stack for turning/rebuking undead.
- Adds animate dead, create undead, create greater undead to your spell list if you don't have them.
- Mindless undead treat you as friendly. Intelligent undead do not instinctively have any sort of bloodlust/anti-living hatred towards you, and you gain bonuses on Diplomacy with them.
- Negative energy pulse damages nearby living creatures and heals undead. Undead you control are also bolstered temporarily.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
Pale Rider sounds good so far.

Grim Reaper sounds interesting so far.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:49 PM »
Grim Reaper is nearly done. It's basically just missing the capstone. Any ideas?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
I'm assuming that the undead raising stance meets the animated a creature you personally killed as undead requirement?  I don't think there's a 2nd level or lower spell that raises undead.

Call of the grave looks pretty good, a nice ability but no immediately useful in combats.  I'm going to assume that the undead list is balanced.

Capstone idea: Permanently be in the Desecration stance in addition to a stance of your choice.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
The Grim Reaper is complete.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
Is there a normal action listed with giving orders to undead minions?

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »
Is there a normal action listed with giving orders to undead minions?

For rebuking-commanded undead, it's a standard action. With Animate Dead, the follow spoken commands, but since no action is listed that's probably a free action (as speaking). I'm going to change the ability to it's a mental command, so there's an advantage no matter which sort you're using.

Quote from: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/specialAttacks.html#turn
The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2016, 11:43:44 AM »
Wow, I didn't know that.

Good capstone, I approve.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
There should be an ACF to remove the mount since mounts don't work for all campaigns, but I'm not sure what it would do.