Author Topic: OOC Chicanery Continued  (Read 39741 times)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Chicanery Continued
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
*bump* Going to need a word on how many shifts such a spell would be.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
You'd be going back a few hours, so call it seven shifts from that. As for the aspect assessment(s), that'd be a minimum of three shifts per aspect, or more if you anticipate the Investigation roll being more difficult. So, a minimum of 10 shifts for one aspect with a difficulty of Good, or 11 shifts for one rated at Great, or 13 shifts for two Good aspects, or 15 shifts for two Great aspects. (With a consequence from Kitty and Phil, you'd have 16 shifts, so one Great and one Superb?) Then the actual ritual lets you rewind things over the past few hours and make a handful of Investigation rolls to suss out scene aspects.

Time required obviously depends on the strength of the spell. Assuming you had a 16 shift spell going and you were trying to cast it as quickly as possible without taking any stress, that'd be six exchanges worth of time (with Discipline rolls, of course), which is of course very loosely defined. Call it three minutes, give or take.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Doubly tricksy blood hum. Phil is willing to take one for the team.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
Same for Kitty, though the channeling is a bit more complicated, since a single failed roll slapps you with all the shifts channeled so far. The optimal approach would be for Phil and Kitty to regenerate the consequences they took with Inhuman Recovery, then for everyone to set up a buffer maneuver or two. Then Phil can channel as much as veekie dares in the first exchange (Phil can take the backlash) and pass the thing to Leo, who can finish the ritual in a more controlled manner by channeling one or two shifts at a time.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:24 PM »
Sounds good to me. So what do I have to do?  :lmao

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
Be the only sane man who keeps the thing steady after Phil channels way too much at once. :P

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:56 PM »
Incidentally, sirpercival has expressed an interest in joining this game. As TML seems to be MIA (he was last active in May but hasn't posted since January), I think we could do that if you guys are agreeable, but I imagine introducing new characters is more of a hassle here than it would be otherwise due to the adventure/guest-star aspects. Easiest thing to do, probably, would be to retroactively tie him into certain of your other adventures, whether or not you've actually met his character, but if you have other suggestions, that works too.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
Retroactive tie-ins should do, we got plenty of past havoc for him to be involved in.

Now, who's gonna bring up the idea and theory of the spell IC?
Phil would be a bit odd for that since he doesn't have much magic theory(though he WOULD see how much power he can ram into the rite, the stress track can handle it)

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
I'm sure Leo can bring it up, though I'm away from my computer right now and it might be awkward to type it all up from my phone.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »
I'm cool with a new guy; retroactive fitting in shouldn't be a problem. As for bringing up the idea of the spell, we sort of did already bring it up IC.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
Excellent. He should be joining us here shortly to talk shop. Right now he's thinking of a focused practitioner with a highly unorthodox element for Channeling. Specifically, probability and the analysis thereof.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Excellent. He should be joining us here shortly to talk shop. Right now he's thinking of a focused practitioner with a highly unorthodox element for Channeling. Specifically, probability and the analysis thereof.
He will, of course, have to put up with Kitty calling him a mathemancer.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Preeeeeeetty much. Here are some preliminary thoughts I had on the subject.

Almost definitely a spirit equivalent, if you tied it to one of the existing elements (though that's not terribly necessary). Using it to block is pretty easy; they've got a hyperawareness spell in the book that is a coat of paint away from being probability defense. Attacking with it is probably different. If you're actually manipulating probability, then you could certainly blast with it by having the attack take place as a timely accident. If instead you're just predicting what your opponent is going to do offensively, you could do that by Channeling a maneuver and tagging it. There's also the possibility that you could use Channeling offensively as normal (Conviction for power, Discipline to control and as the attack roll), but using whatever weapon you were currently wielding to deliver the attack (which, if you didn't have a ranged weapon of some sort at hand, would probably limit your targeting options).

Thoughts?

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
Sounds about right. The last one there is basically also just a coat of paint over a regular blast spell, so I don't see any problems.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »
Sounds about right. The last one there is basically also just a coat of paint over a regular blast spell, so I don't see any problems.
The only problems I have with it are that it a) doesn't take into account the weapon rating of whatever you happen to be using, b) ignores any skill you might have with the weapon, and c) limits your options somewhat (you can't blast something in an adjacent zone with your Monte Carlo punch).

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
The only problems I have with it are that it a) doesn't take into account the weapon rating of whatever you happen to be using, b) ignores any skill you might have with the weapon, and c) limits your options somewhat (you can't blast something in an adjacent zone with your Monte Carlo punch).
No, but you can blast something in another zone with Monte Carlo rock throwing. As for not taking into account the weapon or your skill with it... that would be sort of the point of using magic for it. :p

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
No, but you can blast something in another zone with Monte Carlo rock throwing. As for not taking into account the weapon or your skill with it... that would be sort of the point of using magic for it. :p
Yes, but you'd imagine that the additional skill with the weapon would make things easier.

It's probably fine as-is, though.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »
Preeeeeeetty much. Here are some preliminary thoughts I had on the subject.

Almost definitely a spirit equivalent, if you tied it to one of the existing elements (though that's not terribly necessary). Using it to block is pretty easy; they've got a hyperawareness spell in the book that is a coat of paint away from being probability defense. Attacking with it is probably different. If you're actually manipulating probability, then you could certainly blast with it by having the attack take place as a timely accident. If instead you're just predicting what your opponent is going to do offensively, you could do that by Channeling a maneuver and tagging it. There's also the possibility that you could use Channeling offensively as normal (Conviction for power, Discipline to control and as the attack roll), but using whatever weapon you were currently wielding to deliver the attack (which, if you didn't have a ranged weapon of some sort at hand, would probably limit your targeting options).

Thoughts?

Hi all!

Yes, I think for it to make sense as Channeling, it would be manipulation rather than analysis.  He'd have to analyze, too, of course.

I figured he would use it to amplify his Fists and Guns skills, so probably along the lines of Channeling maneuvers and tagging them.  Blocks as you suggested will be very easy.  Also a direct blast would be along the lines of a Channeled entropy curse sort of thing.

So yeah, I'm totally on the same page as you, Boz & Agita :)

Is it possible for an FP to take both Channeling & Ritual?  Because Ritual (Transformation & Disruption) would be extremely appropriate, and I can think of a ton of stuff to do with it as well.  It would all be thematically related, of course... things like a morning ablution to gain the Lucky aspect for the rest of the day.  Or whatever.

(One thing I love about this system is that I will totally be able to go mad scientist.)

Anyway, I've never played before, though I've read the books (series and RPG) multiple times cover to cover.  So there may be a little bit of a learning curve... let me know if what I'm suggesting doesn't work.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »
Actually, I think thats supposed to be properly speaking, an Entropomancer I think.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
Actually, I think thats supposed to be properly speaking, an Entropomancer I think.

Oh, I see, for a thaumaturgy version of it, right?  And maybe the direct blast... but not the other stuff.  I can't really tell.  Bluh.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.